27 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Arrelious Benn
    • Brandon LaFell
    • Golden Tate
    • Mardy Gilyard
    • Damian Williams
    • DeMaryius Thomas

Dez Bryant not an option because he will not be available when we pick.

I'm having hard time deciding between Benn and LaFell. Benn has a ton of potential and everything you want in a #1 reciever. LaFell does all the little things and has been consistently productive. Benn has the upside but could be a huge bust. LaFell has too good of a work ethic to bust but I doubt he's ever a great player.

I like Tate as the 3rd option because he plays tough and big. 21 is too high for DeMaryius. I don't think Gilyard or Williams fits what this offense needs.

I like Golden Tate. Strong and physical..could become a nasty run blocker and our slot guy for the future. If not i'm all about Mardy. Mardy is going to be a good player. I firmly believe that. The determination to succeed plus an abundance of talent, plus playing in front of fans who want him to succeed in Cincy could be good for us.

But anyways..I'm big on Golden Tate. That guy is a YAC monster.

[quote name='JC' date='10 February 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1265839475' post='862535']
I like Golden Tate. Strong and physical..could become a nasty run blocker and our slot guy for the future. If not i'm all about Mardy. Mardy is going to be a good player. I firmly believe that. The determination to succeed plus an abundance of talent, plus playing in front of fans who want him to succeed in Cincy could be good for us.

But anyways..I'm big on Golden Tate. That guy is a YAC monster.
[/quote]

He is a yac monster in college but in the nfl? I think he is to small as is gilyard to be a strong first round pick

I voted for Tate. Other than Bryant, the others come with too many question marks. And IMO, early-round LSU receivers don't have a great track record in the NFL... Josh Reed (average), Michael Clayton (started out great, now average), Dwayne Bowe (good), Eatly Doucet (improving, but jury still out, IMO).

I think that Tate is probably the most "NFL ready" at this point - he played under Weis, who really knows offense... even though he wasn;'t a great HC. He can immediately help in the return game, too.

Of the guys listed LaFell is the "most sure" of them...

But, as akili said I think he'll be a good receiver, just never great or a game changer.

I guess it comes down to which route do you go... safe and "good" or risky and "boom or bust"... at this point we've had enough boom or bust at wr for a couple seasons - if we're going to go this route I want a definite every down player that we know will be there...
so give me LaFell or Tate...

What position do you guys think Hernandez will play in the NFL? Too small to be a complete TE, and not fast enough for a true wide receiver... H-back in the David Martin mold?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='16 February 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1266327682' post='863712']
Of the guys listed LaFell is the "most sure" of them...

But, as akili said I think he'll be a good receiver, just never great or a game changer.

I guess it comes down to which route do you go... safe and "good" or risky and "boom or bust"... at this point we've had enough boom or bust at wr for a couple seasons - if we're going to go this route I want a definite every down player that we know will be there...
so give me LaFell or Tate...

What position do you guys think Hernandez will play in the NFL? Too small to be a complete TE, and not fast enough for a true wide receiver... H-back in the David Martin mold?
[/quote]

Hernandez = Dallas Clark

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='16 February 2010 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1266330248' post='863727']
Hernandez = Dallas Clark
[/quote]
you think?

That was the first person I tried to draw a comparison to but Hernandez seems a step faster, but a bit smaller and not as good a blocker...

I can't say definitively, he has just always struck me as being a little leaner than an NFL tight end would be. Maybe he'd bulk up a little bit without losing much speed and and could fit that role quite nicely.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='16 February 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1266336555' post='863743']
you think?

That was the first person I tried to draw a comparison to but Hernandez seems a step faster, but a bit smaller and not as good a blocker...

I can't say definitively, he has just always struck me as being a little leaner than an NFL tight end would be. Maybe he'd bulk up a little bit without losing much speed and and could fit that role quite nicely.
[/quote]

well obviously they aren't exactly alike, and who knows if Hernandez will ever come close to Clark's production. That's just the immediate comparison that comes to mind when I watch Hernandez play. I don't see his size being an issue, just like Clark's isn't. Its about using him the right way to utilize his talents best.

[quote name='sois' date='16 February 2010 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1266336660' post='863745']
None, Sean Witherspoon is my choice, but if I have to pick WR, Golden Tate is my pick.
[/quote]
So are we going to cut Rivers because he and Weatherspoon play the same position

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='19 February 2010 - 07:43 AM' timestamp='1266583398' post='864302']
So are we going to cut Rivers because he and Weatherspoon play the same position
[/quote]

There are people who think Weatherspoon could play SAM. We could also move Rivers inside.

If the rumors that Thomas ran a 4.38 are true, I wouldn't be upset with him in 1, but with his foot surgery we won't know until after the draft. Tate, if he runs a respectable 40 time is probably the safe route (and who I voted for). Benn probably has the most upside, but I have heard bad things about his hands and work ethic.

I'm watching highlights of Arrelious Benn, and he just doesn't scream "1st round pick" to me. He's better than your typical college WR, but he doesn't have an elite 2nd gear speed wise, his hands are reportedly suspect, and I've seen nothing that shows he's a good route runner. He's potential, but no polish.

Golden Tate, if he was taller would probably be a top 10 pick. Has the toughness and speed, but many of his touchdowns were of the jump ball variety or the "jimmy, throw it as far as you can" variety. Doesn't seem a super poslished route runner for coming out of a pro-style offense. Also, from what I've heard, and watching highlights, he's supposedly the next "prima dona" WR. We survived that with Chad, but do you really want to go down that road again?

I actually don't think the Bengals will go WR in round 1. No need to get one at 21 when you can grab a Jordan Shipley, Riley Cooper, or Mardy Gilyard in the 2nd round. Not guys with as much upside, but there's not a huge dropoff from them and the late first round guys, and there a safer pick.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='19 February 2010 - 04:43 AM' timestamp='1266583398' post='864302']
[/quote]

Trade him. Rivers is too Simmonsy for me.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='19 February 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1266636027' post='864460']
I'm watching highlights of Arrelious Benn, and he just doesn't scream "1st round pick" to me. He's better than your typical college WR, but he doesn't have an elite 2nd gear speed wise, his hands are reportedly suspect, and I've seen nothing that shows he's a good route runner. He's potential, but no polish.
[/quote]
I gotta disagree about Benn. He has elite physical skills and great size. I'm guessing he runs a 4.45 or better at 220 pounds. He wasn't asked to do much but go deep in college but he made decisive cuts in the few clips I could find of his short stuff but is still raw as a route runner. He is an absolute monster with the ball in his hands. Breaks arm tackles and tough to bring down. He is great at adjusting to bad throws, a Juice Williams specialty. Physical, tough and not afraid of contact at all. Excellent blocker. He has also been used as a running back and kick returner in college. Poor junior season largely affected by Illinois change of scheme (OC fired midseason), terrible QB play and complete lack of any other weapons on offense.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='19 February 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1266640229' post='864471']
What do you think of Mike Williams, akili? Too much of a head case?
[/quote]
Yeah his problem is laziness work ethic and intelligence. He struggled bad in school and was suspended several times for it. Supposedly he quit because he got into some kind of trouble with the law but the details are sketchy. He knew he was going to be suspended again so he just quit. You have to wonder how he would handle being rich and responsible for learning the playbook and all the intricacies of being an NFL receiver. Has the physical skills for sure but you need a lot more than that to make it in the NFL.

I would not be shocked if we took him in round 3 or 4. Seems like a MB pick. If he has grown up it could end but being a great pick. I'm guessing he has not grown up.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='19 February 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1266638011' post='864467']
You realize how completely unrealistic that is right
[/quote]

Tell me, I really don't know. Salary? Length of contract? Bonus? Rivers just isn't giving me the 1st round bang I expect of a top 10 pick. Witherspoon will give that, I put my internetrep (tm) on the line.

Archived