Any car guys or mechanics here?

BengalRep85-9

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='12 February 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1265940408' post='862798']
Beat me to it :D
[/quote]

Yeah, I think if you look back over the past 20 years and compare recalls between American and Japanese cars you'll see why this whole Toyota deal doesn't bother me one bit. Of course things like that are going to happen.
MULLY
and I drive a Honda

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='12 February 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1265954822' post='862841']
:lol:

I wish my 2000 Celica would catch on fire...piece of shit.
[/quote]

STRANGE.. most 10 yr old girl sized cars drive like brand new caddys....

when it gets stuck in the snow do you call your husband to help you get it out?

I had the alternator tested yesterday and it tested out perfectly, it was putting out exactly what it was supposed to be. Had them test the new battery and the cranking amps were perfect and it was putting out what it was supposed to as well.
He did say the highest he could get the battery to test at was 89% charged, said it should be 100% but it was definitely within range and the battery wasn't the problem.

The connections aren't corroded, the alarm system isn't the problem since I actually tried that last night before reading this. He said I could possibly have a faulty wire somewhere in the car putting a drain on the battery, but it could be anywhere.

Seems like my best option is to drive it and cross my fingers whenever I go to start it up.
Also, to start looking for new cars as well. **Sigh**

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='12 February 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1265997052' post='862974']
I had the alternator tested yesterday and it tested out perfectly, it was putting out exactly what it was supposed to be. Had them test the new battery and the cranking amps were perfect and it was putting out what it was supposed to as well.
He did say the highest he could get the battery to test at was 89% charged, said it should be 100% but it was definitely within range and the battery wasn't the problem.

The connections aren't corroded, the alarm system isn't the problem since I actually tried that last night before reading this. He said I could possibly have a faulty wire somewhere in the car putting a drain on the battery, but it could be anywhere.

Seems like my best option is to drive it and cross my fingers whenever I go to start it up.
[/quote]

That sucks.....

Because if it has been ruled down to an electrical issue like that you're screwed. You'd spend way too much money paying a mechanic to troubleshoot the electrical system for a car worth $2000.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' date='12 February 2010 - 02:28 AM' timestamp='1265959732' post='862845']
Yeah, I think if you look back over the past 20 years and compare recalls between American and Japanese cars you'll see why this whole Toyota deal doesn't bother me one bit. Of course things like that are going to happen.
MULLY
and I drive a [color="#FF0000"]Honda[/color]
[/quote]

They just had a recall for airbags, might want to make sure you dont fall in that category.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100210/ap_on_bi_ge/us_honda_recall

hold the phone people...doesn't anyone here listen to Car Talk?

find out if the voltage regulator is integrated in the alternator or not. If not, replace that...on old cars they used to run like 10 bucks or so, but on your car I don't know. Over the years I've unnecessarily bought at least 2 batteries and an alternator instead of replacing a cheap damn voltage regulator.

Other possibility I didn't see mentioned...do you have a light that's not going out? Even a tiny bulb will completely drain the battery in a matter of hours.

Good luck!

A mechanic isn't going to charge you all that much to check for a short. Take it to a mechanic and get it checked out. It's got a short or a bad connection somewhere.

If you want to try a few things yourself, disconnect any hardware that has been added to the car that isn't factory, such as an alarm, an amp, or anything of that nature. If it still has a short, then let a mechanic look at it. It's usually something fairly simple but it requires someone who knows how to chase down an electrical problem.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' date='12 February 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1266007134' post='863052']
A mechanic isn't going to charge you all that much to check for a short. Take it to a mechanic and get it checked out. It's got a short or a bad connection somewhere.

If you want to try a few things yourself, disconnect any hardware that has been added to the car that isn't factory, such as an alarm, an amp, or anything of that nature. If it still has a short, then let a mechanic look at it. It's usually something fairly simple but it requires someone who knows how to chase down an electrical problem.
[/quote]
My amp was never connected to the new battery and it died anyway. I was actually on my way to a friends house to pick up a ratchet to reconnect the amp when it wouldn't start. A system is the only thing i've added to the car since i've owned it. I've had it in for about 5 years now and I've never had a problem with it.

If it does have a short it's somewhere inside the car that I cant personally fix since I know very little about cars.
I guess I'm nervous i'll take it somewhere, they'll find an expensive problem that I can't afford to have fixed, and i'll have to pay him $100 or whatever based on how long it takes and be in the exact same spot I am now.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='12 February 2010 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1266021363' post='863155']
My amp was never connected to the new battery and it died anyway. I was actually on my way to a friends house to pick up a ratchet to reconnect the amp when it wouldn't start. A system is the only thing i've added to the car since i've owned it. I've had it in for about 5 years now and I've never had a problem with it.

If it does have a short it's somewhere inside the car that I cant personally fix since I know very little about cars.
I guess I'm nervous i'll take it somewhere, they'll find an expensive problem that I can't afford to have fixed, and i'll have to pay him $100 or whatever based on how long it takes and be in the exact same spot I am now.
[/quote]
dont you have a relative that knows stuff about cars......they may have even owned one of those grand ams......i guess you could always call them??

It's odd that you get nothing when trying to turn the key.

If the battery and Alt test fine, you've got juice. Starter? You said the lights won't even come on though, the lights would still come on if it was a starter issue. Vapor Lock you should still at least have lights.

Something in the ignition.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='12 February 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1265997052' post='862974']

[/quote]
Corroded/bad battery cables.

Archived