Larry Johnson a Redskin?

[b][size="5"]Redskins signing RB Larry Johnson?[/size][/b]
By Mark J. Miller

Running back Larry Johnson(notes) carried the ball 178 times last year for 581 yards and no touchdowns for the Cincinnati Bengals and it appears right now that the Washington Redskins would really like him to do some of that for them next season, according to NFL.com.
Johnson apparently got picked up from the airport yesterday so he could spend some with front-office folks and discuss the possibility of moving to D.C.
The 30-year-old was born in Pomfret, Maryland, not far from the District of Columbia, so it might be cool for Johnson to get a deal there. It appears that the team is extremely serious in its intent to get a deal done with him.

Source:
Yahoo Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Redskins-signing-RB-Larry-Johnson-?urn=nfl,227596

[quote name='High School Harry' date='12 March 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1268400041' post='869937']

Running back Larry Johnson(notes) carried the ball 178 times last year for 581 yards and no touchdowns for the Cincinnati Bengals
[/quote]
You're shitting me. When did he get 178 touches and nearly 600 yards? Techmo Bowl?

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='12 March 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1268404584' post='869959']
You're shitting me. When did he get 178 touches and nearly 600 yards? Techmo Bowl?
[/quote]

That was his season totals (Chiefs and Bengals combined). He stats just for the Bengals were 46 carries for 204 yards.

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] [url=""] [/url] Filed to ESPN: There's a new running back in Washington. Redskins reached agreement with RB Larry Johnson on a three-year deal.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10392884687"]7 minutes ago [/url]via web

[quote name='oldschooler' date='12 March 2010 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1268433019' post='870083']
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] [url=""] [/url] Filed to ESPN: There's a new running back in Washington. Redskins reached agreement with RB Larry Johnson on a three-year deal.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10392884687"]7 minutes ago [/url]via web
[/quote]
If I'm Ced this contract pisses me off a little. How does Larry Johnson get 3 years and a team you just carried on your back for a season can't give you an extension?

[url="http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora"][b][color="#0a0501"]JasonLaCanfora[/color][/b][/url] [url=""] [/url] RB Larry Johnson agrees with Redskins on a 3-year deal worth a max of $12 million. More on NFL Total Access in an hour.
[url="http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/10393728855"]less than 20 seconds ago [/url]via web

Ahhhh, this sounds more like it. I saw that 3 years $12 million and was like WTF???!!!

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url]

[url=""] [/url] Larry Johnson's deal in Washington: three years, $3.5 million total -- with incentives that could take it up to $12 million.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10394065738"]8 minutes ago [/url]via [url="http://ubertwitter.com/"]UberTwitter[/url]

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='12 March 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1268433944' post='870085']
If I'm Ced this contract pisses me off a little. How does Larry Johnson get 3 years and a team you just carried on your back for a season can't give you an extension?
[/quote]

Maybe because Cedric Benson has never had the type of prior production of Larry Johnson?

And as a Bengals fan, I guess I'm sort of pissed, even though I know there was little chance of keeping him...somehow I wish we had LJ as insurance against injury to Cedric. Benson can't just keep carrying the ball the number of times he has without seeing his YPC start to drop, or an injury occurring, or both.

If Cedric goes down early with a season-ending injury, I'm not confident enough yet in the durability/productivity of the combination of Leonard and Scott to carry the load, and then we're back to 2007 again, throwing the ball all over the place but not winning games.

We need to strike a balance on offense between the way we used to be in 2005, 06, 07 and last season. Too much of one or the other, IMO. I want to actually WIN a playoff game.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 March 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1268435455' post='870100']
[b]Maybe because Cedric Benson has never had the type of prior production of Larry Johnson?
[/b]
And as a Bengals fan, I guess I'm sort of pissed, even though I know there was little chance of keeping him...somehow I wish we had LJ as insurance against injury to Cedric. Benson can't just keep carrying the ball the number of times he has without seeing his YPC start to drop, or an injury occurring, or both.

If Cedric goes down early with a season-ending injury, I'm not confident enough yet in the durability/productivity of the combination of Leonard and Scott to carry the load, and then we're back to 2007 again, throwing the ball all over the place but not winning games.

We need to strike a balance on offense between the way we used to be in 2005, 06, 07 and last season. Too much of one or the other, IMO. I want to actually WIN a playoff game.
[/quote]
Benson is in his prime, Johnson is washed up. Prior production be damned, Ced will run for more than 1,000 yards the next four or five seasons for the Bengals if they'd just get off their asses and sign him up.
Johnson sat on the sidelines most of the season and still ended the year injured. How is he going to be any kind of a replacement should Benson go down? He might be good for a game or two but he wasn't really worth keeping around just to get dusty sitting on the shelf considering Scott is the top backup and Leonard is the third down back. In DC he'll be the top backup and maybe not even that based on the numbers from that contract. They basically brought him in to try him out during camp.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='12 March 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1268435846' post='870104']
Benson is in his prime, Johnson is washed up. Prior production be damned, Ced will run for more than 1,000 yards the next four or five seasons for the Bengals if they'd just get off their asses and sign him up.
Johnson sat on the sidelines most of the season and still ended the year injured. How is he going to be any kind of a replacement should Benson go down? He might be good for a game or two but he wasn't really worth keeping around just to get dusty sitting on the shelf considering Scott is the top backup and Leonard is the third down back. In DC he'll be the top backup and maybe not even that based on the numbers from that contract. They basically brought him in to try him out during camp.
[/quote]

Benson's amount of carries make him "older" than he really is, IMO, in terms of the NFL. Same with LJ, I suppose, too.

LJ averaged almost 5 YPC in spot duty with the Bengals last season.

Scott isn't a "bell-cow" type of back.

Leonard isn't either.

And with the injuries to Portis piling up, LJ could very well be the starting back in DC before long.

The Bengals like the power run game, and Benson and LJ have very similar styles in that regard. Scott is more of an outside, shifty guy, and Leonard is..well, he just converts third downs.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='12 March 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1268436394' post='870105']
im really happy for him. he was cool when he was here and dude still can run the ball. i wish him all the luck.
[/quote]

I wanted to see more of him last year and would have liked to have seen him stay but
just like you said. Best of luck to him and maybe even a tip of the cap to the Bengals for
having the confidence in him to allow him to get back on his feet for his NFL career.

As far as us, opens a spot for another running back coming in.
Not implying a high draft choice or anything like that, but its an intriguing possibility
if someone slides into the mid rounds.

Good luck, Larry.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 March 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1268437426' post='870107']
Benson's amount of carries make him "older" than he really is, IMO, in terms of the NFL. Same with LJ, I suppose, too.

[/quote]

seriously? He's averaging less than 200 carries per season.

Unless he wants outrageous money, I'm confident a deal will get done for Benson.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 March 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1268441710' post='870119']
seriously? He's averaging less than 200 carries per season.

Unless he wants outrageous money, I'm confident a deal will get done for Benson.
[/quote]

How many carries did the Bengals give him last season, even with the "injury"?

It cannot last.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 March 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1268452046' post='870153']
[b]How many carries did the Bengals give him last season, even with the "injury"?[/b]

It cannot last.
[/quote]

less than Rudi had in 2004, 2005, or 2006.

I agree that they need to spread the wealth to Bernard Scott, but Benson's nowhere near the point of slowing down.

I hope Larry Johnson does well this season.

The Bengals got positive points last season because LJ was another problem player who kept himself out of trouble while being a Bengal. That alone [b]sends a good message [/b]not only to the people who try to make fun of us for always selecting bad apples, but [b]it sends a positive message [/b]to the players in the NFL that says the Bengals are a GOOD TEAM to play for!

Good Luck Larry Johnson.

More and more good things are going to happen for the Bengals!

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 March 2010 - 09:35 AM' timestamp='1268490909' post='870193']
less than Rudi had in 2004, 2005, or 2006.

I agree that they need to spread the wealth to Bernard Scott, but Benson's nowhere near the point of slowing down.
[/quote]

Didn't Benson lead the league in carries last season up until he got injured (by a wide margin, I'm thinking)?

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='13 March 2010 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1268496714' post='870210']
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more bell-cow! Re-sign Benson!
[img]http://seoblog.intrapromote.com/more_cowbell.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

wish him the best. maybe we should add another RB in the late rounds of the draft or FA as insurance? another bell cow type who can carry the load just in case? doesn't have to be a big name but can be servicable and split with leonard and scott if something happens to ced? chris brown is availible that would be my choice as a 4th RB

Archived