On the Beat: Bengals No. 21

[b]On the Beat: Bengals No. 21 [/b]
Published: April 11, 2010 at 02:15 p.m.

[b]01:37[/b] – Dave Lapham of the Bengals radio network makes the 21st overall selection in the 2010 On the Beat Mock Draft.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81775694/On-the-Beat-Bengals-No-21"]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81775694/On-the-Beat-Bengals-No-21[/url]

Lap has the Bengals taking Gresham.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 April 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1271081518' post='877003']
Who? My work computer doesn't have the right version of Flash player.

Thanks.
[/quote]
Lapham is on the Gresham bandwagon for some reason

Doesn't make sense unless they overhaul the offense for the 2nd year in a row

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='12 April 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1271081923' post='877005']

[/quote]

If Lap thinks they will take Gresham, then it won't surprise me at all if he's there and they do. He knows how much the Bengals like their TEs to block. As a former NFL lineman, he knows a thing or 2 about blocking. And as a Big XII broadcaster he's probably seen Gresham play a lot. So Lap must think he's at least capable now with a good ceiling.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 April 2010 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1271081518' post='877003']
Who? My work computer doesn't have the right version of Flash player.

Thanks.
[/quote]

I posted under the link that Lap has the Bengals taking Gresham.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 April 2010 - 08:58 AM' timestamp='1271084307' post='877027']
If Lap thinks they will take Gresham, then it won't surprise me at all if he's there and they do. He knows how much the Bengals like their TEs to block. As a former NFL lineman, he knows a thing or 2 about blocking. And as a Big XII broadcaster he's probably seen Gresham play a lot. So Lap must think he's at least capable now with a good ceiling.
[/quote]

after hearing dave talk.... and analyze football.... how anyone can make the above assumptions and hold stock in his opinions is confusing..

what does being a linemen 30 years ago have to do with knowing TE's or Bengals needs?

all his good ol boy connections with the team are long gone.

he waffles and flip flops his opinion with whatever the general fanbase tide is, he is a general media fanboy and agrees with the majority basically all of the time.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 April 2010 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1271084307' post='877027']
[/quote]

Lap said in the video that "Gresham can set the edge for you in the running game,
he is big and strong enough to do that." But he mostly talked about his recieving
and what he would bring to the Bengals in that aspect.

He also said in the Championship 2 years ago, Urban Meyer went up to Bob Stoops
and said Gresham was the best player that they had played against.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='12 April 2010 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1271084950' post='877032']
I posted under the link that Lap has the Bengals taking Gresham.
[/quote]

My computer at work is running an OLD version of Explorer, so this forum is hard to read (and post on) at work. I missed that.

A few thoughts:

You don't even need to know how to spell Bengals, much less be an insider to know the drafts best TE is going to be of interest to the Bengals.

Dave can analyze players with the best of them especially Big 12 players as he spends alot of time with coaches and prepares to broadcast their games.

Here's a crazy thought, maybe Gresham is actually good? Maybe?

Finally, I think Dave's guesses as much as anyone when it comes to "inside" info. His source of really good info is limited because his "boys" are gone.

[quote name='scharm' date='12 April 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1271086897' post='877042']
A few thoughts:

You don't even need to know how to spell Bengals, much less be an insider to know the drafts best TE is going to be of interest to the Bengals.

Dave can analyze players with the best of them especially Big 12 players as he spends alot of time with coaches and prepares to broadcast their games.

Here's a crazy thought, maybe Gresham is actually good? Maybe?

Finally, I think Dave's guesses as much as anyone when it comes to "inside" info. His source of really good info is limited because his "boys" are gone.
[/quote]

I was about to post a similar reply to Go. But you beat me to it, so I won't be redundant. Thanks.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='12 April 2010 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1271081923' post='877005']

[/quote]

Dont count it out, remember Brat has said he was going to do what he did to the running game to the passing game this year.

Gresham is a good receiver no doubt. He is not a good blocker though. Let's not pretend that he's some great overall tight end because that's just not true. Two knee injuries are scary as well.

If they draft Gresham (which I think there is no chance of at 21), the offense will have to be re-done again to include the tight end as a receiver for the 1st time in Brat's tenure here. I'm skeptical of this.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' date='12 April 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1271088076' post='877045']
I won't be surprised if Gresham is still there when we pick in the second round.
[/quote]
I will. The Patriots need a TE, and have a bunch of second round picks. I hear the Ravens are also in the market for a TE

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='12 April 2010 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1271090304' post='877047']
Gresham is a good receiver no doubt. He is not a good blocker though. Let's not pretend that he's some great overall tight end because that's just not true. Two knee injuries are scary as well.

If they draft Gresham (which I think there is no chance of at 21), the offense will have to be re-done again to include the tight end as a receiver for the 1st time in Brat's tenure here. I'm skeptical of this.
[/quote]

Why? It was redone with Utecht in mind and then also the drafting of Coffman. Utecht was acquired for pass catching and so was Coffman.

Why would you need to revamp anything? Clearly those two acquistions were not done because of their high level blocking skills.

Also the reality is without Gresham's injuries it is doubtful the Bengals would even have a chance to draft him at 21. From what I've been hearing he has top half 1st round type talent.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' date='12 April 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1271088076' post='877045']
I won't be surprised if Gresham is still there when we pick in the second round.
[/quote]

I would. Without injuries Gresham isn't making it to the 20s.

The draft could play out very lucky for the bengals to have top talents slide to them because of "flags". Mays, Bryant, and Gresham are 3 that come to mind. Without whatever flags associated with them these guys would be top half 1st round talents.

Double lucky following a year a talent worth the No. 1 overall spot slid to them to at 6.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='12 April 2010 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1271090304' post='877047']

[/quote]

I don't think it would involve much re-doing. They were operating on 4th and 5th string TEs last year and they still had 43 receptions. Not counting Coats' drops.

I could easily see them re-signing Reggie for a year or 2, and taking Gresham. Kelly starts, Gresham is the #2, and Coffman at 3. Gresham may not be a good blocker now, but with RK on board he won't have to. He has the size and strength to become a good blocker, which he will learn from RK. Then when Reggie hangs them up, we have Gresham and Coffman as a really good TE duo. And considering the also added Utecht a couple of years ago, it would appear they are trying to get the TE more involved.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='12 April 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1271084961' post='877033']
after hearing dave talk.... and analyze football.... how anyone can make the above assumptions and hold stock in his opinions is confusing..

what does being a linemen 30 years ago have to do with knowing TE's or Bengals needs?

all his good ol boy connections with the team are long gone.

he waffles and flip flops his opinion with whatever the general fanbase tide is, he is a general media fanboy and agrees with the majority basically all of the time.
[/quote]

Ugh. I don't understand how a Bengals fan can have such distain for Lapham. Lapham is awesome.

Also, Lapham seems to have genuine insight into who the Bengals are interested in drafting. He called the Pollack pick when most others were saying that the Bengals would take Erasmus James. He was also in on the Leon Hall pick, the Andrew Whitworth pick and the much more obvious Andre Smith pick.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 April 2010 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1271093348' post='877056']
I don't think it would involve much re-doing. They were operating on 4th and 5th string TEs last year and they still had 43 receptions. Not counting Coats' drops.

I could easily see them re-signing Reggie for a year or 2, and taking Gresham. Kelly starts, Gresham is the #2, and Coffman at 3. Gresham may not be a good blocker now, but with RK on board he won't have to. He has the size and strength to become a good blocker, which he will learn from RK. Then when Reggie hangs them up, we have Gresham and Coffman as a really good TE duo. And considering the also added Utecht a couple of years ago, it would appear they are trying to get the TE more involved.
[/quote]

x2. Gresham is a very realistic first round option if your ego isn't clouding your judgement.

[quote name='scharm' date='12 April 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1271092362' post='877052']
Why? It was redone with Utecht in mind and then also the drafting of Coffman. Utecht was acquired for pass catching and so was Coffman.

Why would you need to revamp anything? Clearly those two acquistions were not done because of their high level blocking skills.

Also the reality is without Gresham's injuries it is doubtful the Bengals would even have a chance to draft him at 21. From what I've been hearing he has top half 1st round type talent.
[/quote]

Exactly. People act like it would be out of character for the Bengals to draft a pass-catching TE. That is exactly what they have been trying to do over the past 2 seasons without any luck.

[size="5"][color="#0000ff"]
[b][url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-nfl-draft-tes-0413-20100413,0,20593.story"]Sizing up the draft: tight ends[/url][/b]

[b]Slight edge goes to Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham over Arizona's Rob Gronkowski
[size="5"][color="#0000ff"][/color][/size][color="#000000"][size="2"]By Mike Berardino, Sun Sentinel [/size][/color][/b]
[size="2"]April 13, 2010[/size]

Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham vs. Arizona's Rob Gronkowski

[/color][/size]Sixth of an eight-part series breaking down the April 22-24 NFL Draft.

[b]Production[/b]

[b]Gresham:[/b] Despite missing his senior year due to right knee surgery, he caught 103 passes for 1,468 yards and 25 touchdowns his final two seasons.

[b]Gronkowski:[/b] Missed his junior season after back surgery, but still managed 75 catches for 1,197 yards and 16 touchdowns in two seasons for the Wildcats.

[b]Strengths[/b]

[b]Gresham: [/b]At 6-foot-6 and 258 pounds, he runs like a wide receiver (4.73 40) but still provides a tremendous target with his size. Has drawn comparisons to Kellen Winslow Sr.

[b]Gronkowski:[/b] Big, physical target at 6-6 and 265 pounds. Has extremely soft hands and is a load to bring down once he has the ball. Blocks well and has a 33.5-inch vertical leap.

[b]Weaknesses[/b]

[b]Gresham:[/b] Also suffered torn ACL in his left knee as a high school senior, so durability is a concern. Can struggle in blitz pickup at times and sometimes catches the ball too close to his body.

[b]Gronkowski:[/b] Only started running again in February after a microdiscectomy on Sept. 24. Lacks elusiveness but did run a wind-aided 4.65 40 on his Pro Day.

[b]Best fit[/b]

[b]Gresham:[/b] The Bengals, picking 21st, have been on the lookout for a tight end and are said to be enthralled with the former Sooner. If not Cincinnati, then keep an eye on New England at No. 22 after losing free agent Ben Watson.

[b]Gronkowski:[/b] Arizona, picking 26th, needs a tight end to help ease the transition for Matt Leinart as he replaces Kurt Warner. Baltimore at 25 is another possibility to keep "Gronk" from slipping into the early second round.

[b]The pick:[/b] Both players are physical specimens with tremendous upside who are coming off major injuries that cost them their 2009 seasons. Give the slight edge to Gresham, mainly because knees are easier to keep healthy than backs.

[b]Worth noting: [/b]Dolphins haven't drafted a tight end higher than the fourth round since Ferrell Edmunds (third-rounder out of Maryland) in 1988. Bill Parcells, however, took Anthony Fasano for Dallas in the second round in 2006 and Jason Witten in the third round in 2003. Parcells, running the Jets draft in 2000, took Anthony Becht in the third round. Dolphins coaching staff got to know USC's Anthony McCoy while coaching him on the South team at the Senior Bowl. Aaron Hernandez (Florida) is projected to go in the second round as well. Former UM basketball player Jimmy Graham has scouts dreaming of another Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, both of whom played college hoops as well. Speedy (if undersized) Dorin Dickerson also played wide receiver, outside linebacker and fullback at Pittsburgh.

[b]Dolphins focus:[/b] With Fasano, a restricted free agent, coming off a disappointing year, the Dolphins figure to be in the market for a field-stretching tight end in this draft. Joey Haynos and Kory Sperry had their moments, but someone like UM's Graham or Oregon's Ed Dickson could give them what they lost when David Martin was lost for the 2009 season with a knee injury.

[i]Mike Berardino can be reached at [email="mberardino@SunSentinel.com"]mberardino@SunSentinel.com[/email].[/i]

[url="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/dolphins/fl-nfl-draft-tes-0413-20100413,0,5553133.story"]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/dolphins/fl-nfl-draft-tes-0413-20100413,0,5553133.story[/url]

[quote name='scharm' date='12 April 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1271092362' post='877052']

[/quote]
Utecht was a blocking tight end in Indy. He could catch some but he was by no means a great receiving tight end. We drafted Coffman to be the receiving tight end, why the fuck would we take another 1 year after we drafted the guy??? There is absolutely no way they roll with 2 tight ends who can't block when their MO for the last 10 seasons has been using the tight end as an extra tackle. We go with 2 guys who can block and Coffman, there's your extra wrinkle in the passing game right there without using a round 1 pick on an injury risk.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 April 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1271094594' post='877059']
x2. Gresham is a very realistic first round option if your ego isn't clouding your judgement.
[/quote]
All I've done is stated the facts. They have never taken a TE above round 3 since Brat has been here. Coffman was just drafted last season. They have already said they want their tight ends to block. Gresham has serious concerns about his blocking and knee injuries. History and logic is on my side.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='12 April 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1271103964' post='877105']
All I've done is stated the facts. They have never taken a TE above round 3 since Brat has been here. Coffman was just drafted last season. They have already said they want their tight ends to block. Gresham has serious concerns about his blocking and knee injuries. History and logic is on my side.
[/quote]

There were a couple of drafts (at least one) where TE was on their list in 2, but someone (Dallas?) took Fasano before we had a chance. And I seem to remember another TE they liked fairly high. And in the past they have always had a significant need to address in 1, and TE wasn't really an option. I think they are in a position now where if Gresham is the best player on the board they can take him.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 April 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1271104171' post='877107']
There were a couple of drafts (at least one) where TE was on their list in 2, but someone (Dallas?) took Fasano before we had a chance. And I seem to remember another TE they liked fairly high. And in the past they have always had a significant need to address in 1, and TE wasn't really an option. I think they are in a position now where if Gresham is the best player on the board they can take him.
[/quote]
Fasano is a great blocker that's why they wanted him. Same with Martellus Bennett. Weren't you completely against taking Gresham just a couple weeks ago?

Archived