A.J. Green - The more I think about it, the more I would love the pick

akiliMVP

I'm guessing the top of the draft goes like this:
1. Panthers - QB Luck - They will have a new coaching staff that will want their own QB
2. Bills - QB Locker - They need to upgrade over Fitzpatrick and Locker is a perfect fit in their offense
3. Lions - DE Bowers - I think by the time the draft rolls around Bowers will be the top defensive player and a lock for top 5
4. Bengals - WR A.J. Green

I do not think they will go quarterback, nor do I think there is one left worth a top 5 pick. Peterson is an option, but 4 is awfully high for a safety making the transition from corner. Quinn could also be the pick, but I have Green rated higher and we have talent at end already.

At wide receiver there is really nothing. Chad and TO are good but are they good for the team? They are both old and could not be back next season. Shipley is a keeper. Everyone else has done nothing to prove they can do anything in the NFL. Definitely no future #1s.

Green is a complete receiver. Great size, 6'4 205, good speed (estimated 4.40 and rumored to be lower) and amazing hands. I have just began looking at Green so I'm not quite sure how good of a route runner he is, but physically, he is the total package. He has Randy Moss type tools.

A.J. Green and Jordan Shipley would be a bad ass duo.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290206578' post='942822']
In the scenario above I'd take Patrick Peterson.

I'm still torn on Green vs. Julio Jones. Jones is bigger, just as fast, and seems to have a fire about him.
[/quote]

I like Julio.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290206894' post='942823']
I like Julio.
[/quote]

talent wise, I'm not really sure where there's a difference. I hear Jones is inconsistent, but haven't seen enough to know if that's true or not. Plus I've seen him lineup outside and in the slot. Nor have I seen enough of Green.

Green is built like Chris Henry. Tall and lanky.

Jones is built like Larry Fitzgerald. Thick and muscular.

And if published numbers are correct, Jones is faster even being 20 lbs heavier.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290203923' post='942818']
I'm guessing the top of the draft goes like this:
1. Panthers - QB Luck - They will have a new coaching staff that will want their own QB
2. Bills - QB Locker - They need to upgrade over Fitzpatrick and Locker is a perfect fit in their offense
3. Lions - DE Bowers - I think by the time the draft rolls around Bowers will be the top defensive player and a lock for top 5
4. Bengals - WR A.J. Green

I do not think they will go quarterback, nor do I think there is one left worth a top 5 pick. Peterson is an option, but 4 is awfully high for a safety making the transition from corner. Quinn could also be the pick, but I have Green rated higher and we have talent at end already.

At wide receiver there is really nothing. Chad and TO are good but are they good for the team? They are both old and could not be back next season. Shipley is a keeper. Everyone else has done nothing to prove they can do anything in the NFL. Definitely no future #1s.

Green is a complete receiver. Great size, 6'4 205, good speed (estimated 4.40 and rumored to be lower) and amazing hands. I have just began looking at Green so I'm not quite sure how good of a route runner he is, but physically, he is the total package. He has Randy Moss type tools.

A.J. Green and Jordan Shipley would be a bad ass duo.
[/quote]

Welcome to the club. But I think we need to be in front of Carolina to get him.

I don't disagree with anyones assessment of how talented Green or Jones are...but I question whether a top 5 WR is the remedy to take this team back to the playoffs?

I think a lot rests on what they (or a new regime, though I have to believe Zimmer is here in some capacity next year) have planned for MJ93. If hes moving to LB permanently then A. they already think they have the answer at MLB on the roster (Rivers, Rey, or Muck) and B. DE becomes a big need that could be filled with a top 5 pick. If they want to keep him along the DL, then WR becomes a little more plausible.

Where are we thinking the best interior lineman goes in this draft? A top WR/DE/DT in 1 and a top OG/C in 2 seems like the best approach to me.

i don't know, guys. that's mighty high for a WR. i'm just not convinced you get the best value taking a WR that high. i'd think if you ever did go down that road, he'd have to be a no doubt guy. i'm not sure any WRs in this draft are that type. is AJ green an andre johnson?

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1290226686' post='942852']
I don't disagree with anyones assessment of how talented Green or Jones are...but I question whether a top 5 WR is the remedy to take this team back to the playoffs?

I think a lot rests on what they (or a new regime, though I have to believe Zimmer is here in some capacity next year) have planned for MJ93. If hes moving to LB permanently then A. they already think they have the answer at MLB on the roster (Rivers, Rey, or Muck) and B. DE becomes a big need that could be filled with a top 5 pick. If they want to keep him along the DL, then WR becomes a little more plausible.

Where are we thinking the best interior lineman goes in this draft? A top WR/DE/DT in 1 and a top OG/C in 2 seems like the best approach to me.
[/quote]

I'd be ecstatic about Austin Pettis in the 2nd coupled by Peterson, Quinn, or Fairley in the 1st.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290227282' post='942854']
I'd be ecstatic about Austin Pettis in the 2nd coupled by Peterson, Quinn, or Fairley in the 1st.
[/quote]

yeah, that sounds like a much better 1st 2 rounds to me. but if they went with peterson, i'd sure hate to wait until the 3rd round to get help for our pass rush. and if we did do that, waiting until the 4th round to grab a G/T would be worrisome, as well. damn, we sure have some big holes to fill this year. they're almost going to have to address at least one of them in FA.

[quote name='Madieu Superstar' timestamp='1290204709' post='942819']
I would absolutely love to trade down to the bottom half of the 1st round if it would net us an extar 1st round pick. Way too many holes imo to take a WR in the top 5. Give me two 1st round picks so that I can take an OT and either another linemen, a safety or a MLB and I'll be happy.
[/quote]
It's extremely hard to trade down from a top 5 pick, especially with Mike Brown at the helm.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290206578' post='942822']
In the scenario above I'd take Patrick Peterson.I'm still torn on Green vs. Julio Jones. Jones is bigger, just as fast, and seems to have a fire about him.
[/quote]
I just think WR is a MUCH bigger need than safety. Long term there is Shipley and that's it. Lesser talent at safety is a lot easier to mask than no talent at receiver. Imagine next season if both Chad and TO go?? The WR corps needs rebuilt and that has to be one of the top priorities. Green is a better prospect than Jones and that's the consensus. Jones is physically right there with him but he drops balls and takes way too many plays off.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1290227051' post='942853']
i don't know, guys. that's mighty high for a WR. i'm just not convinced you get the best value taking a WR that high. i'd think if you ever did go down that road, he'd have to be a no doubt guy. i'm not sure any WRs in this draft are that type. is AJ green an andre johnson?
[/quote]
No doubt A.J. Green has elite NFL potential. He is an absolute monster.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1290228100' post='942855']
yeah, that sounds like a much better 1st 2 rounds to me. but if they went with peterson, i'd sure hate to wait until the 3rd round to get help for our pass rush. and if we did do that, waiting until the 4th round to grab a G/T would be worrisome, as well. damn, we sure have some big holes to fill this year. they're almost going to have to address at least one of them in FA.
[/quote]
Exactly there are too many holes to fill so start planning for the future. Right now the WRs have no future except Shipley who is a #2 or 3 guy.

I say take A.J. Green in round 1 and Mike Pouncey in round 2. You get a elite #1 receiver and a great guard for the future. With a new offensive coordinator and Benson re-signed the offense is set. Use the remaining picks on a safety, pass rusher, SAM linebacker and maybe even another receiver.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290228510' post='942858']
Exactly there are too many holes to fill so start planning for the future. Right now the WRs have no future except Shipley who is a #2 or 3 guy.

I say take A.J. Green in round 1 and Mike Pouncey in round 2. You get a elite #1 receiver and a great guard for the future. [b]With a new offensive coordinator[/b] and Benson re-signed the offense is set. Use the remaining picks on a safety, pass rusher, SAM linebacker and maybe even another receiver.
[/quote]

Thats the key for me. If Brat is back I feel like a first...through fourth round WR would just be a waste.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290229254' post='942860']
I'd still be pretty damn excited to get Da'Quan Bowers aka Justin Tuck 2.0

Just not sure he will be there since his stock seems to be skyrocketing
[/quote]

who's rising up the charts faster...bowers, or the bengals?

what's your take on the bigger need on the DL...ie DT vs DE and why?

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290228209' post='942856']
It's extremely hard to trade down from a top 5 pick, especially with Mike Brown at the helm.

[b]I just think WR is a MUCH bigger need than safety. [/b]Long term there is Shipley and that's it. Lesser talent at safety is a lot easier to mask than no talent at receiver. Imagine next season if both Chad and TO go?? The WR corps needs rebuilt and that has to be one of the top priorities. Green is a better prospect than Jones and that's the consensus. Jones is physically right there with him but he drops balls and takes way too many plays off.

No doubt A.J. Green has elite NFL potential. He is an absolute monster.
[/quote]

I agree that WR is a bigger need than safety. However, Patrick Peterson is one of the best prospects I've seen in the last decade.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1290235267' post='942862']
who's rising up the charts faster...bowers, or the bengals?

what's your take on the bigger need on the DL...ie DT vs DE and why?
[/quote]
Well Bowers has been consistently dominating every week while the Bengals have found a new way to lose every week. I'd say the Bengals are rising up the chart (draft board) at a faster rate...

Bigger need on the DL is DE. Ends are the one who create pressure. We have some definite talent at the position but all that talent has translated into only 3.5 total sacks among every end on the roster. Safety Chris Crocker leads the team in sacks with 2. They need a consistent elite pass rusher, ie Da'Quan Bowers or Robert Quinn.

I would be fine with a tackle like Nick Fairley. Just don't think he is quite worth a top 5 pick (where I think we'll end up picking) yet. By April he very well could be. I don't know a lot about him other than he is absolutely owning the opponents backfield this season. He is putting up numbers very close to what Suh did last season. If he tests out athletically and in the interviews (questions about work ethic, 1 year wonder, dirty play) than I see no reason why he can't go that high. A dominating tackle would most certainly help the pass rush (see Suh this year).

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290262850' post='942872']
I agree that WR is a bigger need than safety. However, Patrick Peterson is one of the best prospects I've seen in the last decade.
[/quote]
I don't even think he's even close to [i]that [/i]great of a prospect. Yeah his measurables are off the chart and he's a lock for the top 10 this season but his play on the field isn't exactly one of the best prospects in 10 years. He is a great player no doubt but I just have reserves taking a corner in the top 5 and moving him to safety. He isn't all that aggressive and gets beat more in coverage than you like as a corner. Nobody knows how he is as a safety. Wasn't Berry like one of the highest safeties ever drafted last year at 5???

I would be fine with Peterson if Green, Bowers, Quinn and Fairley are gone and we are picking outside the top 5.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290263529' post='942874']
I don't even think he's even close to [i]that [/i]great of a prospect. Yeah his measurables are off the chart and he's a lock for the top 10 this season but his play on the field isn't exactly one of the best prospects in 10 years. He is a great player no doubt but I just have reserves taking a corner in the top 5 and moving him to safety. [b]He isn't all that aggressive[/b] and gets beat more in coverage than you like as a corner. Nobody knows how he is as a safety. Wasn't Berry like one of the highest safeties ever drafted last year at 5???

I would be fine with Peterson if Green, Bowers, Quinn and Fairley are gone and we are picking outside the top 5.
[/quote]

he's one of the most aggressive corners I've seen.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290263813' post='942879']
he's one of the most aggressive corners I've seen.
[/quote]
He is a good tackler no doubt but what I meant was aggressive in coverage. Like jamming the receiver and being aggressive for the ball. He gets beat a lot because of it. He doesn't fight for the ball like his life depends on it. Nothing a little coaching couldn't fix but still he is far from a perfect prospect.

I know it sucks and it is not as flashy but we HAVE to get a an OL in rounds one or two....

I think WR is not a priority for a top ten pick....

If I was going to take an offensive skill position that high it would be Mark Ingram.

If you believe we have our future LT and RT in Whitworth and Smith then we need G's and a C and top ten is way too high for those positions.....

So... that leaves me at DE, LB, or Mark Ingram.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1290269400' post='942890']
I know it sucks and it is not as flashy but we HAVE to get a an OL in rounds one or two....

I think WR is not a priority for a top ten pick....

If I was going to take an offensive skill position that high it would be Mark Ingram.

If you believe we have our future LT and RT in Whitworth and Smith then we need G's and a C and top ten is way too high for those positions.....

So... that leaves me at DE, LB, or Mark Ingram.
[/quote]
Ingram is a good player but he is not worth a top 5 or even top 10 pick. RB's are a dime a dozen and you can get good ones throughout the draft. That is unless Benson is re-signed. Green is FAR AND AWAY the best receiver in the draft and it's not even close. He would have been the #1 receiver last draft and is just below Calvin Johnson as a prospect.

There are no OL worth a top 10 pick. There are tons of good interior lineman who should be there at the top of 2.

Which sounds worse for 2011: Having Dunlap, Odom, Geathers and Johnson at end or having Shipley, Caldwell and Simpson as your top 3 receivers???

Green has been a beast since his freshman year of high school

Here are his HS numbers
Fr - 57 rec, 1217 yds, 8 TDs
Soph - 75 rec, 1422 yds, 16 TDs
Jr - 60 rec, 1203 yds, 12 TDs
Sr - 72 rec, 1437 yds, 14 TDs

He is 2nd all time in receiving yards in HS football HISTORY, 4th in receptions

He was a top 10 rated player coming out of HS and the 2nd rated WR (after Julio Jones ironically). He made an immediate impact at the college level:

Fr - 56 rec, 963 yds (led SEC), 8 TDs
So - 53 rec, 808 yds, 6 TDs (missed 3 games with injury)
Jr - 7 games, 41 rec, 674 yds, 9 TDs

Green was suspended the 1st 4 games of this season for admitting to selling a jersey to an agent. He broke the rules but no law and from all accounts he is smart and humble.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290263529' post='942874']
I don't even think he's even close to [i]that [/i]great of a prospect. Yeah his measurables are off the chart and he's a lock for the top 10 this season but his play on the field isn't exactly one of the best prospects in 10 years. He is a great player no doubt but I just have reserves taking a corner in the top 5 and moving him to safety. He isn't all that aggressive and gets beat more in coverage than you like as a corner. Nobody knows how he is as a safety. Wasn't Berry like one of the highest safeties ever drafted last year at 5???

[/quote]

then again, we're never privy to what mike brown's plans actually are, which makes reading the tea leaves difficult. it could very well be that he's already resigned to not making a serious attempt at either leon hall OR jonathan joseph. surely, nobody would want that. but that man has disappointed me many, many times and he's just not in the habit of paying out the kind of contracts that either of these guys will likely command. we'll see if that changes. with that said, peterson or amukamara could be very high on mike's radar. damn, now wouldn't that scenario be upsetting?

Archived