So who we taking with the #1 pick?

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290376932' post='943428']
Luck or Bowers
[/quote]
What do you think about Luck? When I look at next years QB class and the one after, I don't see much that I like, besides Barkley, but I'm not sure how good of a pro he will be.

Luck just seems to have great size, great accuracy, smart, decent ability to evade defenders, above average arm strentgh. Basically a better, Sam Bradford out of a pro-style offense.

He looks like the best prospect to come out in some time at QB.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1290377113' post='943435']
What do you think about Luck? When I look at next years QB class and the one after, I don't see much that I like, besides Barkley, but I'm not sure how good of a pro he will be.

Luck just seems to have great size, great accuracy, smart, decent ability to evade defenders, above average arm strentgh. Basically a better, Sam Bradford out of a pro-style offense.

He looks like the best prospect to come out in some time at QB.
[/quote]
Eh I think Stafford was a better prospect potential wise but Luck isn't too far behind.

I still like Robert Quinn more than Bowers. But I get why people like Bowers.

Re-sign JJoe and get a pass rush and you'll see this D get dramatically more consistent.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290377820' post='943444']
The Panthers are going to be picking #1 anyway. They are absolutely horrible and haven't been in any game except for the 1 fluke win. Plus we beat them. I think they will take Luck. We will pick #2 and go with Bowers or maybe Green.
[/quote]

there's no way they take Luck. They aren't going to give up on Claussen that quickly.

[quote name='CTA513' timestamp='1290375721' post='943412']
Better hope they use the other picks on the O-Line or upgrade it through free agency or it will be a shitty situation for a young QB.
[/quote]

I would like them to find a GOOD veteran LG.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290377861' post='943445']

Re-sign JJoe and get a pass rush and you'll see this D get dramatically more consistent.

there's no way they take Luck. They aren't going to give up on Claussen that quickly.
[/quote]
They could easily give up on Clausen. They'll have a new coaching staff, which may want their own QB. Plus Clausen was a 2nd rounder, so it's not like he's getting paid too much to be a backup.

[quote name='Mu Shu' timestamp='1290378082' post='943451']
They could easily give up on Clausen. They'll have a new coaching staff, which may want their own QB. Plus Clausen was a 2nd rounder, so it's not like he's getting paid too much to be a backup.
[/quote]

for some reason I was thinking he snuck into the end of the first round, but you're right he was a 2nd rounder.

I still don't think they give up on him just yet though.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290378175' post='943453']
Gotta go with Cam Newton. Start him immediately like Sanchez (better USC QB) and Manning. Trade Palmer for some picks to shore up the line.
[/quote]

lol if you're going to go QB, at least take Luck. Newton has bust written all over him.

He's not Michael Vick people.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290378330' post='943458']
lol if you're going to go QB, at least take Luck. [b] Newton has bust written all over him.
[/b]

He's not Michael Vick people.
[/quote]
how so ? I don't get what's not to like with this guy

Gotta go with Cam Newton. Start him immediately like Sanchez (better USC QB) and Manning. Trade Palmer for some picks to shore up the line.
[/quote]
i agree, but who would want palmer ?

[quote name='Mu Shu' timestamp='1290378082' post='943451']
[/quote]
Pretty much this

It's not like he has shown anything at all this season. 1 TD 4 picks 53 rating. He was benched at least once already. The new coaching staff will want to get a guy for the future and Clausen has not shown he is that guy.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1290378563' post='943464']
[b]how so ? I don't get what's not to like with this guy[/b]

i agree, but who would want palmer ?
[/quote]

he's a good college QB but that doesn't equate to NFL caliber QB?

He's like a bigger Eric Crouch. Hell, he's a less talented Vince Young.

[quote name='joshua' timestamp='1290374735' post='943388']
Yep. There's no great QB prospects for the next few years, there's absolutely no oline worth taking in the first 20 picks. There's a few dline guys who are ok, but none of them absolutely stick out. If Luck is there you take him.
[/quote]

it would kill me to have to do that, but that's the percentage move. the problem with going that way is you lose the ability to upgrade the positions that you really need to. you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. sometime soon we're going to have to address the QB position. they don't last forever. if you're stuck in the #1 slot, it's probably the right time to make that move. it would be hard to justify paying anyone but luck that kind of money.

[quote name='Mu Shu' timestamp='1290375020' post='943396']
It's a horrible draft for o-line. If it's time to rebuild, it's time to go with Luck. He's heads and shoulders above Mallet and Locker. Doesn't have the cannon that Carson does, but he's accurate and is very smart.
[/quote]

...and not stuck in cement.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290378668' post='943468']

[b]He's like a bigger Eric Crouch. Hell, he's a less talented Vince Young.
[/quote][/b]
Neither of those statements are even close to being true. mobile qb, great runner,nice size, has touch and zip passes

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1290379126' post='943478']
[/b]
Neither of those statements are even close to being true. mobile qb, great runner,nice size, has touch and zip passes
[/quote]

He has 80 more rushes than passes on the year. He's not an NFL caliber QB. He's a running QB. That doesn't fly in the NFL.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290377861' post='943445']

[/quote]

would someone possibly trade up to take luck? obviously, it would have to be someone picking very high.

does the brain surgery (from high school) that quinn had cause you any pause whatsoever? i know it sounds horrible to ask, but it's a legitimate consideration that has to be absolutely put to rest when you're spending that kind of money.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1290379126' post='943478']
[/b]
[/quote]

He plays in a gimmick offense where he takes all of his snaps from the shotgun, makes one read then takes off. Nothing he does at Auburn translates to the NFL, and if he comes out this year, he will have all of one year of D1 starting experience. Couple that with questionable maturity and decision-making skills, and you have a very risky prospect to draft in the top 5.

He does have an intriguing size/athleticism/arm combination, but he is, by far, the least NFL-ready prospect at the quarterback position for the 2011 draft. It will be 2-3 years before he is ready to play, if that.

Would be a turrible pick, but not at all surprising given the buffoon(s) who make decisions with this franchise.

Newton is exciting, but he's not a very bright guy. He's the posterboy for boom or bust.

I'd stay away, especially when you have a quarterback like Luck (if he declares). Smart, doesn't make mistakes, mobile, most accurate quarterback I've ever seen, runs a very complex system. He's also got fiery side that we've all wanted Carson to show for 7 years now.

[img]http://imgur.com/m3eJe.jpg[/img]

Order them now so that you can have them by Christmas.

:ninja_star:

[/quote]

newton will need a year to groom, if not more, at the very least. that rules out trading palmer right off the bat.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290378668' post='943468']

He's like a bigger Eric Crouch. Hell, he's a less talented Vince Young.
[/quote]
He more like Matt Jones when he came out of Arkansas. Athletic and tall with ability to throw and run and an idiot off the field. Newton best bet is to move to reciver like Jones did. Newton is not a NFL QB.

Archived