Anyone Here Had Their Knee Scoped?

AmishBengalFan

About 8-10 weeks ago, I suffered an accident at the home. A fall that resulted in ALL of my weight landing squarely on my left knee. Pain, swelling, a visit to the doctor, xrays, a knee brace and just yesterday an MRI. The result were sent to my doctor this morning, and this afternoon I got a call from an Orthopedic Surgeon to set up an appointment.

My doctor's notes to the Surgeon has indicates that I have a "central tear" (of what?) but my meniscus is intact. The Surgeon was okay with me waiting until the first week of January to come in for my appointment, so I'm guessing that my knee isn't going to fall off anytime soon. I suspect the appointment is for him to explain my situation and my options, though since he's a SURGEON I expect my Doctor thinks I need surgery. My guess is that an Arthroscopy is on the horizon for me.

If so, and if anyone else has gone through this, what can I expect? What's the recovery like, and will I be able to slam dunk afterwards?

I had my knee scoped when I was 16 back in 1990 from a baseball related injury and swelling. It was outpatient and I was walking without crutches a few days later and back to 100% within a month to 6 weeks. And that was 20 years ago so I imagine the process is even easier now.

I had acl reconstruction in 2001. I know it's a bit more than a scope but knee injuries suck all the same. Recovery time I'm not so sure of but I can tell you that you should be good as far as getting back to normal. Biggest piece of advice I can give is to take your physical therapy seriously. You may suffer from knee pain for the rest of your life. But I know the better the shape my knee is in as far as strength and flexibility the less my knee bothers me. Your recovery is mostly up to you. Also if you are flatfooted definitely look into orthotics. Those will help a great deal as well.

i opted not to have a scope done after football inury, every few months i wake up with my knee in pain and a peice of whatever it was a injured back then stuck somewhere extremely painful. i have to somehow get out of bed(tough to do not using one leg) and stand up and move the peice around until it goes away...

at some point ill force myself to get it fixed, but its so rare its tough to justify..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1293123330' post='953144']
i opted not to have a scope done after football inury, every few months i wake up with my knee in pain and a peice of whatever it was a injured back then stuck somewhere extremely painful. i have to somehow get out of bed(tough to do not using one leg) and stand up and move the peice around until it goes away...

at some point ill force myself to get it fixed, but its so rare its tough to justify..
[/quote]

go, that knee is only going to get worse in time. get it done whenever you can afford it and you won't look back. arthritis likely is and will continue to be kicking your ass, and the condition usually only advances in time.

good luck with your surgery, amish. it will probably go much smoother than you are expecting. as others have said, and i can't stress enough, rehab is everything. address it with conviction.

[/quote]

Go, you'll end up with bad arthritis if you don't get it scoped. Believe me , you'll have more pain than occasionally.

[/quote]

Man, get it done. I went 11 years from injury to surgery, and by the time I got it done my knee was a mess.

Archived