Reggie Nelson

I saw the Jerome thread and he did look pretty good... which made me make this thread. I havent seen many people talking about Reggie Nelson...but it looks like he starting to get this d down cause he was flying around like when he was at FLA for us against SD. Im actually really excited to see what hes like next year with a full training camp with us.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1293498459' post='954464']
keith always plays that well... reggie played well indeed...

he can be a great role player.. but we need that one safety next to him holding his own too...
[/quote]
Keith shows some speed but his tackling has been horrible the last few games. Plus it stinks for that high of a pick not to be an every down linebacker. He is replaced by B Johnson on passing downs.

But back to the point of Nelson, he has played better. I like his speed and willingness to tackle

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1293499031' post='954468']
STILL needs to learn to wrap up. He looked like Ohalete out there, only he was still young and fast enough to reach the guy he was trying to hit. He's going to give up some big plays back there if he doesn't learn to wrap up and take the ball carrier down.
[/quote]

Not.

Reggie is a much better hitter than Ohalate was. :)

Agree though, more wrapping on the tackling.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1293499725' post='954475']
Not.

Reggie is a much better hitter than Ohalate was. :)

Agree though, more wrapping on the tackling.
[/quote]
The only difference between the two is Reggie is fast enough to get to the guy he wants to hit. If he gets there a step slower, and therefore coming in at a bad angle, the guy is going to bounce off just like what happened with Ohalete.

He needs to learn the fundamentals of tackling now, so that when he either loses a step, or isn't in perfect position, he can bring his guy down and not watch him bounce off his shoulder for a TD.

I think over time his tackling will be fine right now hes just so fired up to be playing and getting an opptunity to put some big hits on film. He was hitting hard on Sunday but he does need to wrap up more. Im just excited that he is showing some real good promise for trading a guy we were gonna cut anyway.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1293499333' post='954470']
Keith shows some speed but his tackling has been horrible the last few games. [b]Plus it stinks for that high of a pick not to be an every down linebacker.[/b] He is replaced by B Johnson on passing downs.

But back to the point of Nelson, he has played better. I like his speed and willingness to tackle
[/quote]

In fairness we don't really know if he can be an every down LB, all we know is that the coaches prefer:
A. not to take Dhani Jones off the field
B. to bring B. Johnson on for passing downs

I'd say "it stinks for that high of a draft pick not to be an un-relenting game changing monster who can't be taken off the field," but anyone paying attention before that draft should never have expected that from him. Plus look at the guys taken around him, none of the options stand out as a clearly better pick, with the exception of taking a Tackle...but hindsight is 20/20 and they had a boatload of money (and hope) tied up in Levi and Willie going into that season.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1293501163' post='954482']
In fairness we don't really know if he can be an every down LB, all we know is that the coaches prefer:
B. to bring B. Johnson on for passing downs

I'd say "it stinks for that high of a draft pick not to be an un-relenting game changing monster who can't be taken off the field," but anyone paying attention before that draft should never have expected that from him. Plus look at the guys taken around him, none of the options stand out as a clearly better pick, with the exception of taking a Tackle...but hindsight is 20/20 and they had a boatload of money (and hope) tied up in Levi and Willie going into that season.
[/quote]

yea...

that.

and dhani blows ass... its perplexing...

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1293501163' post='954482']
[b]In fairness we don't really know if he can be an every down LB, all we know is that the coaches prefer:
B. to bring B. Johnson on for passing downs[/b]

[/quote]
Come on the coaches know the skills of the linebacker, they see them every day. You really think they would play a journey man ( Brandon Johnson ) on passing down if Keith Rivers was better in practice or the games ?
Jerod Mayo 169 tackles this season
Keith Rivers 72 tackles this season

Keith Rivers is not part of the problem. I think everyone would love to see more plays. However, the comparison to Mayo are unfair. First of all, they don't play the same position. Second, Mayo plays for one of the greatest defensive minds in league history. Lastly, every defensive player in New England is going to look a little better just because they ALWAYS seem to be playing with the lead.

Was Rivers a home run? Nah, but he's a liner into the gap. Looks like a double to me.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1293517304' post='954558']
Keith Rivers is not part of the problem. I think everyone would love to see more plays. However, the comparison to Mayo are unfair. First of all, they don't play the same position. Second, Mayo plays for one of the greatest defensive minds in league history. Lastly, every defensive player in New England is going to look a little better just because they ALWAYS seem to be playing with the lead.

Was Rivers a home run? Nah, but he's a liner into the gap. Looks like a double to me.
[/quote]

this. he's not a flashy game changing demarcus ware or anything but he's very solid and for me that's good enough. he wasn't even a big play sack/INT guy in college so what makes people think he should just be knocking stats down is beyond me

Agreed. Very solid.

Now, if they'll put Rey Maualuga at MLB and leave him there, we'll have two of the three spots locked down for the foreseeable future. If they bring Dhani Jones back, it should be for depth and/or to captain the special teams. Dhani's a class act and deserves to be on this team, but he's just not the impact player Rey is. I will always believe that Rey's injury cost us the Jets game last year. It was no accident that we hadn't been run on all year until he went down. He gets way too much grief on this board for his (lack of)coverage ability. Covering backs out in the flats is not his game. Get him into the middle and let him crush somebody.

Nelson looked VERY physical this week and was more often than not in the right spots. It seems like he is a better overall player than Ndukwe and definitely looks better in coverage.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Safety position this offseason with Gibril and Reggie in the mix.

I have mixed feelings on Roy....he is still very physical but just doesn't look like he did in the first 4 or 5 games he was in last year where he always seemed to be around the ball ready to make a big hit.

Ndukwe seems like nothing more than a viable backup and really seemed to have peaked in his rookie season.

Crocker can't stay on the field for a season to save his life.

Not sure what the safeties look like in the draft this year, but i don't think it will kill us to wait until the mid to late rounds to pick up a good safety this year.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1293521332' post='954566']
Agreed. Very solid.

Now, if they'll put Rey Maualuga at MLB and leave him there, we'll have two of the three spots locked down for the foreseeable future. If they bring Dhani Jones back, it should be for depth and/or to captain the special teams. Dhani's a class act and deserves to be on this team, but he's just not the impact player Rey is. I will always believe that Rey's injury cost us the Jets game last year. It was no accident that we hadn't been run on all year until he went down. He gets way too much grief on this board for his (lack of)coverage ability. Covering backs out in the flats is not his game. Get him into the middle and let him crush somebody.
[/quote]

I've been disappointed by the lack of big play ability from Rivers, but I agree that he's a solid defender overall. With his speed, I expected that he'd be more effective as a blitzer, for example, but it hasn't happened. He's also been hurt quite a bit, and that's slowed his development some.

Rey-Rey definitely needs to be a MLB, where he can focus on what he does best - going downhill in the run game and being physical. We've all seen his deficiencies vs. the pass, especially covering RBs and TEs in the flat and on short routes. He had a nice INT the other day, but that's not his game.

I think Muck has a shot at starting next year - if it were my team, I'd give him or Brandon an opportunity (assuming no additional upgrade, which I would expect they'd look at); Brandon is currently the better pass defender/blitzer, but Muck is much more stout as a run defender.

Oops - this was a Reggie thread, not a Rivers one! I think Nelson's played better the longer he's been here - and the physicality of his game has been a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. There's no question that he's an athlete - good ball skills, good speed. I'm just not sure that he's very instinctive, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. Having him around for a full off-season and training camp will give us a better idea about how much he can contribute next year - i.e. whether he's a fill-in/ST guy or someone who can start and play effectively.

I also think they'll look at one of the CBs, like Trent or Ghee, at FS. Both have range, and I think Trent can handle the physical part... not sure about Ghee.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1293512315' post='954547']
Come on the coaches know the skills of the linebacker, they see them every day. You really think they would play a journey man ( Brandon Johnson ) on passing down if Keith Rivers was better in practice or the games ?
[b]Jerod Mayo 169 tackles this season[/b]
[/quote]

there is no way in hell that's accurate.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1293517304' post='954558']

[/quote]

not to mention Mayo looks better because he's mostly got crap around him at the LB spot.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1293512315' post='954547']
Jerod Mayo 169 tackles this season
[/quote]

I think B. Johnson is "better" in the passing game than Rivers. Is it really a bad thing to have quality depth? Most successful defenses have a multitude of sub package, its clear our coaches like B. Johnson's wing span and coverage ability in passing situations. That doesn't mean Rivers "isn't a 3 down backer" like you've asserted, just that our coaches prefer to use different personnel packages depending on the situation.

Its not like this coaching staff has never left us wondering why certain guys remain on the bench when the starters routinely disappoint.

Next year likely Dhani or B. Johnson are gone (if not both) and then we can actually find out if Rivers is a 3 down backer, which I'm pretty confident he is.

Archived