One Trade That Can Be Made

[size="5"][b]A trade you can actually make[/b][/size]
[i]Posted by hobsonschoice1 Posted on March 17, 2011 – 4:10 pm[/i]

We’ve been talking about the wrong trade here.

How about one the Bengals can actually make during the lockout?

Trade the fourth pick.

They can’t talk to players. They can’t talk to player agents. They can’t even talk to their literary agents. To borrow a line from the Five Man Electrical Band’s 1970s classic “Signs,” “You ain’t supposed to be here.”

But they can talk to other teams. But they can trade draft picks.

Trade the fourth pick.

It sounds like there is going to be no consensus quarterback there at No. 4. In that case, Trade the pick. Heck, give it away if you have to. Unload it before the flame gets any lower. OK, OK, just make sure you get a fourth-rounder. But don’t pick hairs, just trade.

There are only two top 10 QBs out there. Arizona wants a QB at 5? San Fran wants one at No. 7? Tennessee at 8? Washington at 10?

Trade the pick.

Wage scale or no wage scale, the fourth pick is still going to be a huge number. There still may be some room for the first-rounder to negotiate, so if there is one training camp the rookie quarterback would seem to have the leverage in contract talks, it’s this one. And there are some tough agents at the top.

Tom Condon’s group represents Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert and Georgia receiver A.J. Green, and those have proven to be tough negotiations for the Bengals. In ’05, No. 1 pick David Pollack held out for three weeks. A quarterback holdout like that (or any position, really,) in what looks to be a truncated offseason would be devastating.

See Smith, Akili, 1999.

The lower the pick, the less chance of a stalemate.

Trade the pick.

The draft selection points would no doubt give you at least a third-rounder and maybe even a second, depending how far they went down in the first. But the fourth pick is so unattractive, take the fourth-rounder if you have to.
Don’t get me wrong. You’ll get a very talented position player at No. 4. But in this draft, which is deep but lacks the marquee players, the difference between what you get at Nos. 4 or 8 or 10 or even 15 and 16, home of Jacksonville and Oakland, respectively, (two other teams that can use a QB), is looking to be pretty small.

(The Jags head coach and OC, along with the Titans head coach, GM and OC were on hand for Gabbert’s workout Thursday.)

Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones and Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara aren’t rated that far behind Green and LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson. Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley could be hanging around and is he that far off Alabama’s Marcell Dareus? And if you go down far enough, you’ll be staring at the best running back in the draft in Alabama’s Mark Ingram.

Trade the pick.

But the reason(s) to do it is to get the extra pick or picks. This draft is supposed to be stocked in rounds three through five, great places to get a safety, guard, running back, or blocking tight end.

Trade the pick.

And the longer you wait the better. Get through the Pro Days, the private workouts, the team visits, and it’s just like a soap opera any day of the week. Somebody is going to fall in love with one of those top five guys.

Trade the pick.

And it’s a trade that can actually be done.

We’ve been talking the wrong one.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2011/03/17/a-trade-you-can-actually-make/

Hobson mentioned the Jags and Titans head coaches, etc... being at Gabbert's workout. He failed to mention that Marvin was also there.

Now, I agree that if you can move out of that slot and get value in return, do it, but this article seems to almost completely ignore that the Bengals will need a quarterback that can eventually start barring some 180 by Carson.

This feels like a smokescreen or Baghdad Hob saying "There is nothing to see here" regarding the Bengals' quarterback situation.

[quote]But in this draft, which is deep but lacks the marquee players, the difference between what you get at Nos. 4 or 8 or 10 or even 15 and 16, home of Jacksonville and Oakland, respectively, (two other teams that can use a QB), is looking to be pretty small.

[/quote]

It seems like every year this is said. I wouldn't mind if they dropped to the 6-10 range. From what I can tell it looks like a solid group of players in the top 10.

If Fairley and Peterson are off the board, I have absolutely no qualms about trading down 3-4 spots.

Still getting one of Miller, Quinn, Jones, or Bowers AND a 2nd round pick?

Money.

Then get a 2nd + for Carson and you're really talking with a 1st rounder and 3 2nd rounders.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1300456144' post='977903']
The same reasons he makes that the Bengals should trade down is the same reasons other teams will not want to trade up....
[/quote]

Agree. Some team is really going to have to love a QB and be fearful that another team might grab him.

The only think about Miller is, if they pick him. His role better be 95% hunting the QB his first two years and he better get enough snaps.

I don't see the value in drafting him that high, if your not going to have him hunting QBs and on the field.

It takes 2 to tango...if there are no consensus top picks then why would some other team trade up? Stay at 4 and take the BPA. Using the fact that we don't sign players to timely deals is stupid. Maybe Mike and Katie shouldn't get involved in the ridiculous game of chicken every summer. Hopefully the rookie wage scale eliminates some of that.

If you drop down 3-4 spot in the first round, you better get more than a 4th round pick. I would imagine it would take a second to move up that far.

I'm hopeful we can. Then we can grab possibly Nick Fairley if he falls that far, or we can take Julio Jones or JJ Watt. With our two seconds we can get Marcus Cannon and Mike LeShoure.

/I can dream..can't I? I can see all three wanting Blaine Gabbert before Arizona can get their hands on him, if he gets past Carolina and Buffalo.

if we have our sights on nick fairley, we'd be crazy to think he would be around after trading down. cleveland would have their card to the podium in record time. we'd be VERY lucky if he's available at #4. i wouldn't pay much attention to anyone that says he's dropping. i don't see it happening. he was by far the top defensive player in college football. he was the most valuable player and absolutely dominated the NC game. he had a great combine that did nothing to hurt his stock. then he continued to impress folks with a fine pro day. i wouldn't be one bit surprised if he's the 1st pick in the draft.

Bengals shouldn't trade out of the top 10 and should gain at least a 2nd rounder if they trade down. I could see teams looking for a QB wanting to get in front of AZ if either of Newton or Gabbert is on the board. If both are taken in the first 3 picks, the Bengals should smile and take Fairley or whoever they have as the BPA.

I'd think the Bengals could get a 2nd rounder if they drop to 8th to 10th. Remember when Cleveland wanted Kellen Winslow so bad they gave their 2nd rounder to Detroit to move up 1 spot from 7th overall to 6th?

Archived