The Dark Side

Gentleman, I'm guessing no one really gives a shit but, I have left the PC world and have moved to Mac. I just picked up the latest iMac and am loving it. Don't get me wrong, it's got me pulling my hair out because shit just isn't where it's supposed to be, but I'm really liking this. Now, the MULLY family is covered in Mac. iPhones for me and my wife, iPad2 just picked up 2 weeks ago, and now the iMac. I'm fine up to this point. If anyone ever sees me sitting in Starbucks wearing a beret just step in and shoot me.
MULLY
Went with the iMac because of all my YouTube stuff

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1306023674' post='994062']
So did it cost you your balls too or just your penis?
[/quote]

To be honest, comparing what I got with the iMac to a PC with the same specs, they were within the same price range. On top of that I'm a school teacher so I got a hundred bucks off with the educational discount. I don't know why Mac has this image of being so expensive. They are no more expensive than a PC of equal quality.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1306029424' post='994067']
To be honest, comparing what I got with the iMac to a PC with the same specs, they were within the same price range. On top of that I'm a school teacher so I got a hundred bucks off with the educational discount. I don't know why Mac has this image of being so expensive. [b]They are no more expensive than a PC of equal quality.[/b]
MULLY
[/quote]

Yep.

And that iMac will still be up and usable 8 years from now. I have an 8-year-old PowerBook G4 that's running Leopard, and though a little pokey it's not a dog by any stretch. Hell, my Dad's iMac is 7 years old and still running just fine...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1306029924' post='994068']
Yep.

And that iMac will still be up and usable 8 years from now. I have an 8-year-old PowerBook G4 that's running Leopard, and though a little pokey it's not a dog by any stretch. Hell, my Dad's iMac is 7 years old and still running just fine...
[/quote]

I bought a computer about a year ago and I figured I'd be using that for quite a while. Then I got into making videos for YouTube. As my editing skills are improving, not saying that they are great by any stretch of the imagination, but they are improving, I'm finding that rendering is a fucking bear on the PC I had. It wasn't made for video editing. A 5 minute clip with cuts, graphics, transitions etc..., filmed in 1080 Hi-def, I was getting some serious ass rendering times. Like 2 hours for a 5 min clip. My wife wanted an iPad 2 so when they came out I got one for her. We went to the Mac store to pick up a screen film and while we were there the new iMac's were debuting. I messed around with one, talked with the guy and got a run through, fell in love with it and ordered it the very next day. Just testing it out, I rendered a 12 minute clip and it took like 20 minutes. This thing kicks ass. Don't get me wrong, PC lovers, I'm sure a Windows machine made up to spec for video rendering would do just as well, I just prefer the ease of use of the iMac. Although I'm missing my video editing software. They don't make the same one for Mac. Waiting to pick up Final Cut Express. A teacher at school has Adobe Premiere Elements and she's going to let me use it. If I like it I'll upgrade to the latest version. If not, I'll go with Final Cut.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1306029424' post='994067']
To be honest, comparing what I got with the iMac to a PC with the same specs, they were within the same price range. On top of that I'm a school teacher so I got a hundred bucks off with the educational discount. I don't know why Mac has this image of being so expensive. They are no more expensive than a PC of equal quality.
MULLY
[/quote]

exactly. you are just forced to actually purchase a good computer, unlike dell who barely even offers a good computer, and advertises $299 desktops and $399 laptops...

apple forces you to buy good quality hardware, and then hands you a solid reliable OS for pennies for buying it through them..

build a comperable PC and then pay for windows ultimate or whatever version isnt stripped down of features, and youll be at probably the same price..if not within $100..

they are usually 6 months behind on the "latest" processor launches, you can rest assured all your shit works with all your shit, (hardware/software/components)

i used to be like "i can fix any windows problem i have, so big deal" then i got older and am tired of fixing stupid shit with my free time, id rather pay an extra $100 and not worry about it for YEARS...

PS: crucial and amazon offer a 8 GB ram kit for like $75... the imac takes notebook ram due to size of the sticks, dunno what you bought it with, but might be $75 well spent for video editing and rendering..

If one is building a PC, they are probably using it for the things that don't work as well on a Mac, like gaming. Doesn't Apple use Foxconn? That's one company who's parts I never purchase when building PC's.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1306979200' post='995626']
If one is building a PC, they are probably using it for the things that don't work as well on a Mac, like gaming. Doesn't Apple use Foxconn? That's one company who's parts I never purchase when building PC's.
[/quote]

Foxconn supplies some stuff for the mobile devices. As far as I know, Asus still makes a lot of their mobos.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1306982632' post='995647']
I do like Asus, they make some good stuff for low prices. Have a couple of their monitors and a netbook.
[/quote]

Yeah, Asus makes some good shit...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1306990383' post='995658']
Are you telling me that Steve Jobs couldn't hit a curve ball?
[/quote]

Shit... I almost spit my water I was drinking all over my keyboard...

Steve Jobs, Jesus... not feeling it!

Funny line though!

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1307029748' post='995687']
I purchased my wife a Macbook Pro and my life is so much easier now.
[/quote]

aint that the truth...

after showing her the search icon at the top and the icons at the bottom set to what she uses.. my life is also wife computer issue free...

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1307029748' post='995687']
I purchased my wife a Macbook Pro and my life is so much easier now.
[/quote]

Your wife didn't / doesn't know how to operate Windows???

How old is she, 80?

:ninja: j/k. I do find it funny that someone is going to say that just working through windows from app to app is difficult.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1306429058' post='994883']
exactly. you are just forced to actually purchase a good computer, unlike dell who barely even offers a good computer, and advertises $299 desktops and $399 laptops...

apple forces you to buy good quality hardware, and then hands you a solid reliable OS for pennies for buying it through them..

build a comperable PC and then pay for windows ultimate or whatever version isnt stripped down of features, and youll be at probably the same price..if not within $100..

they are usually 6 months behind on the "latest" processor launches, you can rest assured all your shit works with all your shit, (hardware/software/components)

i used to be like "i can fix any windows problem i have, so big deal" then i got older and am tired of fixing stupid shit with my free time, id rather pay an extra $100 and not worry about it for YEARS...

PS: crucial and amazon offer a 8 GB ram kit for like $75... the imac takes notebook ram due to size of the sticks, dunno what you bought it with, but might be $75 well spent for video editing and rendering..
[/quote]

Shit I didn't even realize that I didn't put any specs in here. My bad. It's got a 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, and a 2.8 GHz Quad-core Intel i7 CPU. This thing glides. I'm 2 weeks into it and already know that I will never go back to Windows as a main OS. I am going to partition about 300GB and install Windows though because I have a few programs, especially video editing stuff, that doesn't have Mac versions. Other than that though it's all Mac for me.
MULLY

Hey - Elf,
I know you lean more Mac for computer usage and that you work in the IT arena. What do your people use at your place of business? Reason I ask is 99 1/2% of the software that we use is written strictly for Windows and I'm wondering, aside from a marketing department how anybody can possibly justify having Mac as their standard platform, not to mention networking on a Mac.

Hell, there are a couple apps that are written strictly for IE... they won't even run in Firefox or Chrome. And, the one I'm thinking of is by the Federal Reserve... and its requirements demand extreme security. Token, passphrase, username, and login. Is that not ironic?

[url="http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-causes-religious-reaction-in-brains-of-fans-say-neuroscientists/"]Apple causes ‘religious’ reaction in brains of fans, say neuroscientists[/url]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1307103877' post='995823']
Hey - Elf,
I know you lean more Mac for computer usage and that you work in the IT arena. What do your people use at your place of business? Reason I ask is 99 1/2% of the software that we use is written strictly for Windows and I'm wondering, aside from a marketing department how anybody can possibly justify having Mac as their standard platform, not to mention networking on a Mac.

Hell, there are a couple apps that are written strictly for IE... they won't even run in Firefox or Chrome. And, the one I'm thinking of is by the Federal Reserve... and its requirements demand extreme security. Token, passphrase, username, and login. Is that not ironic?
[/quote]

A lot of that depends on what industry you're in, though Marketing usually is the main beneficiary. It's a lot easier to integrate OS X into Medical facilities than into, say, Broadcasting; though our Marketing department uses Macs. There's still a major hospital here that uses a DICOM bridge that I built using a Mac Mini and OSS 4 years ago because it outperformed the vendors $25,000 Windows replacement. The software I needed wasn't available for Windows and though I could have built it in Linux the setup time was hours compared to 25 minutes on the Mac. It's all about using the tool that works best in that particular situation.

And networking OS X isn't [b]nearly[/b] the challenge it used to be. Hell, I was able to join my Debian workstation to our 2003\2008 Domain. Times they are a changing. The thing [b]you[/b] need to be aware of is the inroads the iPad is making into the business world; even I'm a bit taken aback at how much of a push we're getting to integrate those things into our 90% M$ environment (all of the Linux presence here is my doing {insert evil laugh here}) as upper management (the fuckers that don't actually have to do anything to make them work) have fallen in love with them and think they're the best thing since masturbation. Just be prepared.

As for writing apps strictly for IE, [b]that is stupid, lazy programming[/b]. Nothing more, nothing less, as you are writing things to M$ standards instead of Web Standards. Guess what? The Cloud isn't running on .NET.

The Federal Reserve is just an exemplification of our government's ass-backward thinking on software and infrastructure implementation (and their susceptibility to M$ lobbyists I'm sure). I have a relative who works for the Army doing payroll, and they just last year gave approval to start implementing [b]Vista[/b]. Not W7, the best OS Microsoft has ever produced, but the unholy abortion of [b]Vista[/b].

They are so far behind and so inept at reacting to the most quickly evolving industry in the history of mankind, that they are going to be left in the lurch from both the standpoint of functionality and security...

As for Apple products, I don't own an iPhone (Android for me), and my desktop is Debian at work. All of my laptops are Apples though, as they make the best laptops in the world, period, end of discussion...

Archived