This team will win 8 games

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324329824' post='1077153']

Well, actually the ones who say it looks good for next year are usually those who say it looks good for this year. The doomcriers are saying it is black now and for forever.
[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324327272' post='1077142']
I think next year will be fun too, but I think 2013 will be the year we are talked about as championship material, as we will have spent those Oak picks as well as the notion thats the year the cap floor has to be met.
[/quote]

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324324376' post='1077125']
Need to keep that view as black as possible!
[/quote]

;)

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324329824' post='1077153']

Well, actually the ones who say it looks good for next year are usually those who say it looks good for this year. The doomcriers are saying it is black now and for forever.
[/quote]

That's not a fair comment. I thought they'd kick ass in 2010.

I think this team has proven to have a quality foundation to move forward. As mentioned by Jamie this wasn't originally a prediction thread. It was a thread to pom pom wave because of the negative crap happening on the board at the time.

From my standpoint it's more about what you are willing to determine as success. IMO, this franchise accomplishes nothing with just 8 wins. At least nothing that people care about. Throughout the whole year it's mostly the perception of this team. There will be 100s of thread addressing some aspect. It always comes back to "winning".

Does the saying on the walls of PBS state " Going .500 makes believers of us all"? or Does it say "Winning makes believers of us all".

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' timestamp='1324320093' post='1077087']
You'd think based on the fact 90% of fans predicted a losing season, and a pretty bad one at that - which was a fair prediction to make

That all those people would be thrilled to be 8-6 with a shot at the playoffs.

Yet majority of what I read is massively negative pissing and whining because we might end up just short of the playoffs and moaning about all the problems with the team, the loss to the Texans, etc...

It's a very odd turn of events...
[/quote]
I admit I was convinced we would be staring down a 1 or 2 win season this year even though I thought our schedule really favored us - as a longtime Bengals fan I have come to realize you should always prepare for the worst.
That said I am thrilled to be in the situation they are in even though i still am not on the playoffs bandwagon - just don't think it will happen.
No matter where we pick we have 2 first rounders. We can really fill two big holes in the first round at CB and OG

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324330146' post='1077156']

Who gives a shit about opinion makers in the NFL? They hate us win or lose.
[/quote]

I do. I can't speak for anyone else but there is alot of discussion that happens on this board over those articles. I would guess the ability to read those opinions is draw for traffic on this site.

To be realistic. They don't hate us win or lose. Why? There's probably like 7 winning seasons in the last 30 seasons of this franchise. How can anyone say with any confidence how the bengals are treated when the win. It quite frankly hasn't happened often.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324329128' post='1077149']

Sorry but this is silly, I have a decent life and am pretty happy with it, the bengals dont affect that at all, so when I am critical it doesnt affect other areas of my life, but that doesnt mean I shouldnt be critical just because I cant control it.
[/quote]

Jamie, it wasn't directed at you. You seem to understand that with a rookie QB, WR, OC and no offseason to speak of, this has been a productive season, and bodes well for the future. scram seems to act like Marvin and the Bengals must win playoff games and the Super Bowl before he can look with any pride on the franchise he's a fan of. That, my friend, is what's Silly.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324331108' post='1077163']

I do. I can't speak for anyone else but there is alot of discussion that happens on this board over those articles. I would guess the ability to read those opinions is draw for traffic on this site.

To be realistic. They don't hate us win or lose. Why? There's probably like 7 winning seasons in the last 30 seasons of this franchise. How can anyone say with any confidence how the bengals are treated when the win. It quite frankly hasn't happened often.
[/quote]

Because I was [b]there [/b]when we won. When the Refs allowed players to fake an injury on third down to stop our no huddle in the playoffs. The commissioner's response was that if we didn't let the Bills substitute in the AFC championship game they would call a penalty on[b] us[/b].

With all that we faced it was illogical and unrealistic to predict we would be as good as we are this year. To say otherwise is to belittle what they achieved. 8-8 with the changes that we made after last year was just something that if you followed the NFL at all was just unreasonable. It's like winning the lottery on your first try then saying that you knew you would win it and thinking that you are wise. It still would be illogical. The only thing that we had going for us was an easy schedule. Pretty much everything else was against us yet everything came together. Wanting it all to come together and logically expecting it all to come together are 2 different things.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1324331920' post='1077170']

Jamie, it wasn't directed at you. You seem to understand that with a rookie QB, WR, OC and no offseason to speak of, this has been a productive season, and bodes well for the future. scram seems to act like Marvin and the Bengals must win playoff games and the Super Bowl before he can look with any pride on the franchise he's a fan of. That, my friend, is what's Silly.
[/quote]

Does it say ".500 seasons make believers of us all" or "Winning makes believers of us all" on the PBS walls.

Please tell me why you know more than Paul Brown.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324332159' post='1077174']

Does it say ".500 seasons make believers of us all" or "Winning makes believers of us all" on the PBS walls.

Please tell me why you know more than Paul Brown.
[/quote]

Because he's DEAD? Now I do admit, I know more that you, and you are alive, in a kinda Voldemort way.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1324332007' post='1077172']
With all that we faced it was illogical and unrealistic to predict we would be as good as we are this year. To say otherwise is to belittle what they achieved. 8-8 with the changes that we made after last year was just something that if you followed the NFL at all was just unreasonable. It's like winning the lottery on your first try then saying that you knew you would win it and thinking that you are wise. It still would be illogical. The only thing that we had going for us was an easy schedule. Pretty much everything else was against us yet everything came together. Wanting it all to come together and logically expecting it all to come together are 2 different things.
[/quote]

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324331963' post='1077171']

Because I was [b]there [/b]when we won. When the Refs allowed players to fake an injury on third down to stop our no huddle in the playoffs. The commissioner's response was that if we didn't let the Bills substitute in the AFC championship game they would call a penalty on[b] us[/b].
[/quote]

I was too. That team was celebrated by many locally and nationally. There were many pro bowlers off that team. A couple players had national TV deals etc.

There is no evidence of the Bengals winning year after year after year and the opinion makers hating the Bengals. This isn't like UC Basketball under Hugs fighting the unfair Thug image for years The bengals haven't won year after year.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1324332314' post='1077176']

Because he's DEAD? Now I do admit, I know more that you, and you are alive, in a kinda Voldemort way.
[/quote]

Again what does it say on the PBS walls? Then sit here and tell us all why that standard shouldn't apply to it's fans.

[/quote]

Although we have been better is some areas, saying that predicting 8-8 was "illogical" is a little bit harsh. I don't know if I went on record here but I told my friends that I thought we would win 5 or 6 games this year. Just by nature, if someone predicts a team will win 5 or 6 games (which a lot of people did) then it isn't unfathomable to think we had an outside shot at 8 wins. Like others have said, we had the building blocks of a defense that was very solid in 2009 and some good young players that we had added (Atkins and Dunlap). We had some new veteran leadership at LB (Lawson and Howard). And while most everyone was upset with JJ leaving, we did sign an experienced, proven replacement (although on the downside). My reasoning for saying we would be solid as opposed to the horrendous 1 or 2 win team that so many in the media saw was due to that defense, my expectation that the Oline would play better with a healthy A Smith, and a good run game to mask a passing attack that would be weak but hopefully not make a ton of mistakes. Probably most importantly, we had a pretty weak schedule this year. You can say that was an optimistic view, but not "Illogical and unreasonable" one. And what do you know, that pretty much happened. The defense has mostly played really well. The Oline has improved, especially in pass blocking. The running game has been weak, but our passing game has been better than expected and shown some flashes of being really good.

Like it or not, the pom pom wavers were mostly right about this team. If people came on here and said we would be 13-3 with no reason given for why they thought that, then feel free to call them illogical, but the people who called this season and team for what they are were simply correct.

[/quote]

About a illogical as any other NFL season.

The 2007 Cleveland Browns got drilled in the opening week. Traded the opening day starter went with a chump in Derek Anderson and won 10 games and was a game away from playoffs.

The Seattle Seahawks beat the defending world champs in the first round of the playoffs after gaining entrance to the playoffs with a losing record.

Par for the course in the NFL.

Just wanted to point out that I made the following post on April 12th :D

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've said this before, but I'll reiterate. I feel like I'm going to be much more fearful of the Bengals for this upcoming season than I was going into last season. That's especially true if Chad leaves (which seems likely from what I've read). [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If all the headcases are sent packing, you guys will just be left with a bunch of guys who truly want to play football, and feel they have something to prove to everyone else in the league. That's a very dangerous combination.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Every year, we see a team that's supposed to bring up the rear in their division surprise everyone and become a contender, seemingly out of nowhere. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Bengals are easily my #1 choice for that role this year. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/quote][/font][/color]

[/quote]

This might be the worst post I've seen in the history of this board. There are so many reasons to think this team could be decent during the offseason so just because I went against the grain and predicted a decent year it was illogical? Fuckig pathetic

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324333029' post='1077182']

About a illogical as any other NFL season.

The 2007 Cleveland Browns got drilled in the opening week. Traded the opening day starter went with a chump in Derek Anderson and won 10 games and was a game away from playoffs.

The Seattle Seahawks beat the defending world champs in the first round of the playoffs after gaining entrance to the playoffs with a losing record.

Par for the course in the NFL.
[/quote]

Not really par but it does happen once in a blue moon. Although the niners are a good example this year as well. There was still no evidence to predict it. You would not predict that the Browns would have won 10 games just as you would not predict a team led by Alex Smith...who had failed with 5 years of chances to be a solid QB and have a good team would all of a sudden make it. These are the outlyers.....if you are saying one outlier makes it every year then maybe you can predict that but every single one of the cards needs to fall the right way.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1324334668' post='1077189']
This might be the worst post I've seen in the history of this board. There are so many reasons to think this team could be decent during the offseason so just because I went against the grain and predicted a decent year it was illogical? Fuckig pathetic
[/quote]

What were those reasons? and can you name another team that went 4-12 replaced their starting QB with a second round rookie, replaced their OC, lost their best player on defense and then was in the playoff hunt?

Lets not let this conversation devolve. I am willing to be educated here if I am wrong but everything I know about the NFL says otherwise.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1324334868' post='1077191']

What were those reasons? and can you name another team that went 4-12 replaced their starting QB with a second round rookie, replaced their OC, lost their best player on defense and then was in the playoff hunt?

Lets not let this conversation devolve. I am willing to be educated here if I am wrong but everything I know about the NFL says otherwise.
[/quote]

If I take the time to type it out will you at least give it the time of day before calling it illogical and belittling?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324333808' post='1077186']

Yes but everyone knows your a Bengals fan masquerading as a Steelers fan.

:ninja:
[/quote]

A real Stealer fan showing more optimism towards the Bengals than you. You're right, you're not a troll, you're worse.

[quote name='Bengal27' timestamp='1324335349' post='1077195']
A real Stealer fan showing more optimism towards the Bengals than you. You're right, you're not a troll, you're worse.
[/quote]

Go play in traffic.

Seriously stop wasting both of our time with this stupidity.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1324335177' post='1077193']
If I take the time to type it out will you at least give it the time of day before calling it illogical and belittling?
[/quote]

Sure. Has there ever been a second round rookie QB in the payoff hunt though? The 5th QB drafted? And has there ever been an abbreviated offseason? There were just so many ridiculous variables weighing against this team. Makes me love Dalton even more (especially because I am not a Marvin fan). I am not trying to say you as a person are illogical or stupid or anything like that. I think it is just a normal fan blinder type of situation.

What I have realized is that I might be the type of fan that is gunshy on the seasons and aims low because if I aim low and am wrong then I win. If I am low and I am right then I was right. It's a psychological trick we all play on ourselves in our lives. However, I do expect us to be very very good next year so I am not sure that's true.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324335502' post='1077198']

Go play in traffic.

Seriously stop wasting both of our time with this stupidity.
[/quote]

No seriously, you're the worst kind of troll. You've proven it, as you say with over 51k posts. As you're so adept at saying, put me on ignore if you don't like what I'm saying. If anyone knows the word stupidity, it would be you. You personify the word.

[quote name='Bengal27' timestamp='1324336225' post='1077205']
No seriously, you're the worst kind of troll. You've proven it, as you say with over 51k posts. As you're so adept at saying, put me on ignore if you don't like what I'm saying. If anyone knows the word stupidity, it would be you. You personify the word.
[/quote]

Sorry I tried to read this but for some reason it just reads "Ding fries are done."

Archived