This team will win 8 games

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312157430' post='1008525']
fwiw, he's only had one injury here' It just happened to be a season ending one.
[/quote]
Wasn't he hurt his rookie year as well? Or is that my imagination? I thought I remembered him getting hurt during hard knocks. But I'm second guessing myself.

I still think they need more bruiser than finesse at fullback. Fui looks like a running back who could come in on third and shorts to me and goal-line, not a guy who you want running into Ray Lewis. Alstott could run into and run over Ray Lewis. I don't think they're in the same category.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1312127329' post='1008131']
:gobengals:

Mark my words...
[/quote]

I'd be happy with that, considering I feel like this is a rebuilding year. There's a lot of question marks on this team for such a bold statement though. I give you a +1 in the ballsy category for it. :)

This team will be lucky to win 4 games..

Week 4 win against Buffalo
Week 12 win against Cleveland
Week 15 win @ St Louis

That's all I see this team doing. We will get our 1 road victory, and have 2 home wins.

[quote name='Gary' timestamp='1312246340' post='1009127']
This team will be lucky to win 4 games..

Week 4 win against Buffalo
Week 12 win against Cleveland
Week 15 win @ St Louis

That's all I see this team doing. We will get our 1 road victory, and have 2 home wins.
[/quote]

yeah, the schedule doesn't set up too well for the traditional dead cat bounce

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1312251319' post='1009178']
At least the preseason sets up well for the Traditional Fan Whine!
[/quote]

I'm kind of looking forward to the Detroit game. Their defense has a great D-line and suspect secondary. Our offense has some good receivers and a suspect O-line. Let's just hope we don't get a QB hurt.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1312251319' post='1009178']
At least the preseason sets up well for the Traditional Fan Whine!
[/quote]

Why do you think your bitching about bitching is better? STFU already.

PS: Give me odds on 8 wins O/U I will gladly put one grand down on that today.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1312127329' post='1008131']
:gobengals:

Mark my words...
[/quote]

not to overreact to one quarter's worth of 1st team vs. 1st team, but its pretty obvious that Detroit is far better than us. Unless Detroit is a 13 win team, this Bengals team has no shot at 8 wins...

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1313246766' post='1015132']
not to overreact to one quarter's worth of 1st team vs. 1st team, but its pretty obvious that Detroit is far better than us. Unless Detroit is a 13 win team, this Bengals team has no shot at 8 wins...
[/quote]

If you can tell that from 4 quarters of the first pre-season game, your name must be nostradamus.

It always slays me with the annual defeatism in BengalVille.

This team won 8 games in 2003...without one down having been played from their erstwhile saviour QB. The defense was worse...and ST's non existent.

This team was destined for the SB last year (from the tone) and yet fell to pieces with all of that magical talent.

Every year...same shit. Every year...different from what many think it will be.

Someone bump this thread next January. It will be interesting to see how far off base most will be.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1313246971' post='1015134']
If you can tell that from 4 quarters of the first pre-season game, your name must be nostradamus.
[/quote]

Stupid as it is, it's not as ridiculous as you and your boys predicting 8, 9, 10 wins based on zero quarters.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1313250843' post='1015153']
[b]Stupid as it is, it's not as ridiculous as you and your boys predicting 8, 9, 10 wins based on zero quarters.[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1313251730' post='1015157']
Pretty much
[/quote]

Actually... Yes it is.

Anyone who thinks they can tell what kind of season a team is going to have from a preseason game... The first one at that.. Is exposing pretty glaring ignorance. Either you have been paying no attention or you have an agenda.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1313259312' post='1015193']
Actually... Yes it is.

Anyone who thinks they can tell what kind of season a team is going to have from a preseason game... The first one at that.. Is exposing pretty glaring ignorance. Either you have been paying no attention or you have an agenda.
[/quote]

What?

I agreed it is stupid. But it is slightly more stupid to think you know the Bengals will win 8+ games based on nothing. At least I have two quarters of data to go with my prediction.

We're talking about degrees of stupidity. My guess is like a 9.5 but thinking the Bengals will win 8+ games just because it's your favorite team is a solid 10 on the stupid scale.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1313259312' post='1015193']
Actually... Yes it is.

[/quote]

Seeing the Bengals lose at the line of scrimmage is a pretty good reason not to expect many wins this year. It's also not a new, unconfirmed data point that Livings sucks and Williams is way past his prime. We didn't have much pass rush last night and we didn't have much last year. Adding Dunlap should help but our D-line is still weak in the middle.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1313260292' post='1015198']
What?

I agreed it is stupid. But it is slightly more stupid to think you know the Bengals will win 8+ games based on nothing. At least I have two quarters of data to go with my prediction.

We're talking about degrees of stupidity. My guess is like a 9.5 but thinking the Bengals will win 8+ games just because it's your favorite team is a solid 10 on the stupid scale.
[/quote]

Well my point being is that no one has anything truly solid to base any kind of predictions on.. It's all conjecture and projection. At least someone who thinks we will break even is showing some degree of enthusiasm.

Which is something you would expect from a supposed "fanatic" of a football team. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't really make much sense to be negative right now, when in reality nothing is set.. There is a good chance there will be plenty of chances to whine, moan and bitch this season.

In my book, it pretty stupid for someone who calls themselves a "fanatic" of something to be like "yeah, I'm a total fanatic.. but it really kind of sucks"..

HUH? That evens out the stupidity for me.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1313261057' post='1015202']
Seeing the Bengals lose at the line of scrimmage is a pretty good reason not to expect many wins this year. It's also not a new, unconfirmed data point that Livings sucks and Williams is way past his prime. We didn't have much pass rush last night and we didn't have much last year. Adding Dunlap should help but our D-line is still weak in the middle.
[/quote]

lol

We were going up against what is likely a top5 (at least) defensive line in terms of sheer athleticism and power, in the first preseason game, after 2 weeks of practice. Also, if you were paying attention the offensive scheme seems to be at least attempting to compensate for our weak interior OL as opposed to the previous regime.

You would have also noticed last night that Ced averaged a little over 6ypc, and also that once Dalton got his game legs under him, he went something like 5-6 and drove us down the field on a drive which was stalled by a pretty ticky-tack holding call. The accomplished this using quick passes which helped neutralize the pass rush.

I'm not saying I think we will be world beaters. But lets at least give these guys a chance to see what they can do before we declare the season lost.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1313261446' post='1015203']
Well my point being is that no one has anything truly solid to base any kind of predictions on.. It's all conjecture and projection. At least someone who thinks we will break even is showing some degree of enthusiasm.

Which is something you would expect from a supposed "fanatic" of a football team. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't really make much sense to be negative right now, when in reality nothing is set.. There is a good chance there will be plenty of chances to whine, moan and bitch this season.

In my book, it pretty stupid for someone who calls themselves a "fanatic" of something to be like "yeah, I'm a total fanatic.. but it really kind of sucks"..

HUH? That evens out the stupidity for me.
[/quote]

When you have Battered Bengal Fan Syndrome®, the enthusiasm is long gone. You can pretend like this black eye of an offseason was caused by a doorknob to the face or falling down the stairs. But everyone can see what really happened.

Outsiders feel sorry for Bengals fans and burned out players. The soP way of management delivered another solid backhand to the face of the fans and that's the reality. All I can hope for is that he changes this time. Will he ever change? I sure hope so.

Victims of this kind of domestic fan abuse usually just sit back and take it. It's not like another team would want us. The self esteem has been beaten out of us.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1313262145' post='1015207']
[b]When you have Battered Bengal Fan Syndrome®, the enthusiasm is long gone. [/b]You can pretend like this black eye of an offseason was caused by a doorknob to the face or falling down the stairs. But everyone can see what really happened.

Outsiders feel sorry for Bengals fans and burned out players. The soP way of management delivered another solid backhand to the face of the fans and that's the reality. All I can hope for is that he changes this time. Will he ever change? I sure hope so.

Victims of this kind of domestic fan abuse usually just sit back and take it. It's not like another team would want us. The self esteem has been beaten out of us.
[/quote]

that's pretty sad. How anyone can't even get enthused about something they claim to be a fan of is beyond me.

And there are no victims. You choose to be a fan or you don't. You always have the ability to walk away, and if you feel you're a victim of "domestic fan abuse" or whatever other lame name you want to give it, its because you choose to be.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1313262145' post='1015207']
When you have Battered Bengal Fan Syndrome®, the enthusiasm is long gone. You can pretend like this black eye of an offseason was caused by a doorknob to the face or falling down the stairs. But everyone can see what really happened.

[/quote]

Mike Brown wields a mean pimp hand. If you start getting some hope, he'll slap it out of you.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1313261739' post='1015205']
lol

We were going up against what is likely a top5 (at least) defensive line in terms of sheer athleticism and power, in the first preseason game, after 2 weeks of practice. Also, if you were paying attention the offensive scheme seems to be at least attempting to compensate for our weak interior OL as opposed to the previous regime.

You would have also noticed last night that Ced averaged a little over 6ypc, and also that once Dalton got his game legs under him, he went something like 5-6 and drove us down the field on a drive which was stalled by a pretty ticky-tack holding call. The accomplished this using quick passes which helped neutralize the pass rush.

I'm not saying I think we will be world beaters. But lets at least give these guys a chance to see what they can do before we declare the season lost.
[/quote]

Umm, the Lions weren't blitzing much, they were playing pretty vanilla. A dink and dunk scheme with weak interior O-line play will get eaten up by NFL defenses when it counts. They'll bring a safety up to take away the running game and dare us to try to throw over their defense with Dalton's arm and Livings and Williams "protecting" him.

You also didn't comment on the complete lack of pass rush. All 4 Lions QBs led scoring drives. Sure we were missing Dunlap but they were missing their starting LT.

Face it, the Bengals were whipped at the line of scrimmage all night long. That doesn't bode well. The Lions have a better than average D-line but probably a worse than average O-line.

Archived