This team will win 8 games

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324312767' post='1077021']

No your right, a brand new 2nd round rookie QB, a rookie #1 WR, rookie O-Coord, two new LBs and a 3rd moving to a new position.

No reasons at all to think this team might struggle this year.

None

At All.
[/quote]

And if you had followed this with the fact that we have a great D coordinator, some pretty good offensive and defensive skill players remaining that could help out, and the returning core of a very good defense that won the division two years earlier, then people might think you were paying attention instead of just spitting bile.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324318946' post='1077074']

And if you had followed this with the fact that we have a great D coordinator, some pretty good offensive and defensive skill players remaining that could help out, and the returning core of a very good defense that won the division two years earlier, then people might think you were paying attention instead of just spitting bile.
[/quote]

Ok, so then if you could so kindly point out the last 2nd round rookie QB that has played as well as Dalton has as a rookie, I'll gladly listen.

You'd think based on the fact 90% of fans predicted a losing season, and a pretty bad one at that - which was a fair prediction to make

That all those people would be thrilled to be 8-6 with a shot at the playoffs.

Yet majority of what I read is massively negative pissing and whining because we might end up just short of the playoffs and moaning about all the problems with the team, the loss to the Texans, etc...

It's a very odd turn of events...

[quote name='Bengal27' timestamp='1324318279' post='1077068']
Yep Jaime, we regrettably have 51k of your posts to analyze who is truly the stupid (its you, since you seem to have the need to have it pointed out to you) one and to see the proof that you're really a Stealer troll. Your posts add zero to this site.
[/quote]

Jamie's not that bad. He's just more of a glass half empty guy. He just has a hard time admitting when he's wroooo, you know, Wrrrrooo, you know, not exactly right. I understand, Ive got the same problem, hell, I can't even type it!! :lol:

Boomer was a second rounder, Ken Anderson and Joe Montana were third rounders. Round don't mean nuttin.

Once he's on the field he has to do his job. The coaches' job is to try and make the task doable, given the capabilities of the players.
We did that with Dalton this year, and with Carson in 2009. We failed to do it in 2010, by going away from what we did in the year before.

Look, you could and did get all of us 'homers' to talk about the uphill task the team had coming up. But talking sensibly wasn't very popular.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324320605' post='1077092']
Boomer was a second rounder, Ken Anderson and Joe Montana were third rounders. Round don't mean nuttin.

Once he's on the field he has to do his job. The coaches' job is to try and make the task doable, given the capabilities of the players.
We did that with Dalton this year, and with Carson in 2009. We failed to do it in 2010, by going away from what we did in the year before.

Look, you could and did get all of us 'homers' to talk about the uphill task the team had coming up. But talking sensibly wasn't very popular.
[/quote]

No your right Boomer's 530 yards and 3TDs are a clear example of the last time a 2nd round rookie played this well [b]as a rookie.[/b]

So was Montana's 96 yards and 1TD.

Or how about Ken Anderson's 777 yards and 5 TDs?

Yeah your right how insensible of me.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1324320115' post='1077088']

Jamie's not that bad. He's just more of a glass half empty guy. He just has a hard time admitting when he's wroooo, you know, Wrrrrooo, you know, not exactly right. I understand, Ive got the same problem, hell, I can't even type it!! :lol:
[/quote]

Not at all true, I'm just more nuanced than folks like about it.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1324306436' post='1076991']
Did scarm ever make a prediction for wins? He was in full jackass mode the whole thread, but I never saw a prediction from him.
[/quote]

5 or 6 wins is what I posted in the official prediction thread.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' timestamp='1324320093' post='1077087']
You'd think based on the fact 90% of fans predicted a losing season, and a pretty bad one at that - which was a fair prediction to make

Yet majority of what I read is massively negative pissing and whining because we might end up just short of the playoffs and moaning about all the problems with the team, the loss to the Texans, etc...

It's a very odd turn of events...
[/quote]

I'm happy, no reason to complain about this season!

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' timestamp='1324320093' post='1077087']

[/quote]
This is my attitude also. I work with a bunch of Browns fans that keep telling me how this season will suck for the Bengals if they don't make the playoffs.
I just keep telling them that I figured that we would only win 5 or 6 games this year and that no matter how this season ends, I will be tickled.

If I go into time and look at what I expected at the beginning of course Im happy with the results, but as things changed, expectations changed.

I'd be perfectly ok with the results of every game if we hadnt lost to Denver or the Texans, the rest of what has happened as watching the team I expected.

Those two games sting, and if it turns out we lose a playoff chance by what amounts to 1 point, its going to suck.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324322804' post='1077109']
If I go into time and look at what I expected at the beginning of course Im happy with the results, but as things changed, expectations changed.

I'd be perfectly ok with the results of every game if we hadnt lost to Denver or the Texans, the rest of what has happened as watching the team I expected.

Those two games sting, and if it turns out we lose a playoff chance by what amounts to 1 point, its going to suck.
[/quote]

Need to keep that view as black as possible!

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324321473' post='1077100']

No your right Boomer's 530 yards and 3TDs are a clear example of the last time a 2nd round rookie played this well [b]as a rookie.[/b]

So was Montana's 96 yards and 1TD.

Or how about Ken Anderson's 777 yards and 5 TDs?

Yeah your right how insensible of me.
[/quote]

Ah bullshit. It was never what needed to be done to make us a success. It was just bitching.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1324322383' post='1077106']

I'm happy, no reason to complain about this season!
[/quote]

No kidding. I have been [b]pleasantly[/b] surprised at the success this team has experienced, and am really looking forward to what they can do next year when they rebuild the line and give Dalton and AJ even more time to make CBs look silly...

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1312133021' post='1008210']
This is sad. You are being optimistic? Really?

You stated 8 wins. 8 fucking wins and that's optimistic?

What is wrong with you? That's a pessimistic viewpoint anywhere else.
[/quote]

I still stand by this. I think the thread title referenced this optimistic prediction. Maybe the thread title got changed.

Still sad. It's not rocket science. If you read this board enough alot of the topics involve discussion and debates of the negative image of this team. How some media hack or player is full of it etc.

8 wins does nothing to change that. If we end of up with 8 wins in total for this year you might as well have won 3.

How do I know? Already lived it. On another board I posted "8-8 is great" after Marvin's first season. I was wrong then just like JB is wrong now.

As we know Marvin's 8-8 records in 2003/2004 at the time exceeded any realistic expectation and involved hope for the future it didn't prevent this team from automatically becoming a joke the first time 4-12 appeared. It really just masked the problem.

The only thing that cures alot of the problems people on this board discuss is winning. Do you win? Do you make playoffs? Do you win in the playoffs? Those are the main factors that will transform the perception of this franchise.

8 wins isn't optimistic. It's a display of the bungle attitude and quite sad really.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324325554' post='1077133']

I still stand by this. I think the thread title referenced this optimistic prediction. Maybe the thread title got changed.

Still sad. It's not rocket science. If you read this board enough alot of the topics involve discussion and debates of the negative image of this team. How some media hack or player is full of it etc.

8 wins does nothing to change that. If we end of up with 8 wins in total for this year you might as well have won 3.

How do I know? Already lived it. On another board I posted "8-8 is great" after Marvin's first season. I was wrong then just like JB is wrong now.

As we know Marvin's 8-8 records in 2003/2004 at the time exceeded any realistic expectation and involved hope for the future it didn't prevent this team from automatically becoming a joke the first time 4-12 appeared. It really just masked the problem.

The only thing that cures alot of the problems people on this board discuss is winning. Do you win? Do you make playoffs? Do you win in the playoffs? Those are the main factors that will transform the perception of this franchise.

8 wins isn't optimistic. It's a display of the bungle attitude and quite sad really.
[/quote]

How are you able to walk around with your head up your ass that far? do you look out through your Navel?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324325554' post='1077133']

[/quote]
8 wins with a new OC, rookie QB, Rookie #1 receiver, loss of its best defensive player, loss of Rivers, NO OTAs and a shortened training camp playing in our division is certainly OPTIMISTIC. If you wanna bitch about this team, I suggest you wait until next December and pray we only have 5 wins at the time.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1324326218' post='1077138']
8 wins with a new OC, rookie QB, Rookie #1 receiver, loss of its best defensive player, loss of Rivers, NO OTAs and a shortened training camp playing in our division is certainly OPTIMISTIC. If you wanna bitch about this team, I suggest you wait until next December and pray we only have 5 wins at the time.
[/quote]

Who's bitching about the team? Clearly I'm mocking the belief that a 8 win non playoff season is an accomplishment.

Look at these sad sack homers actually pulling up a thread in which they outrageously predicted 8 wins and then attempting to talk smack. Sad.

I stand by what I said back then. Stating 8 wins as optimistic is just an example of how low some fans expectations have gotten.

I wish I could think like a Kenneth and accept minor awards in life but I can't. NFL teams that are determined to be the greatest are judged by playoff glory and superbowl glory. Last time I checked the Bengals are in the NFL and charge NFL prices.

9th win of this season is important, IMO. If they don't get it, years down the road this will be a lost season that gets thrown in with all the rest.

I never hear someone state "The Bengals have had 2 winning season and 3 .500 seasons, and 4 7 win seasons in the past 20+ years".

It's always "They have only produce 2 winning seasons in the past 20+ years".

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324324376' post='1077125']

Ah bullshit. It was never what needed to be done to make us a success. It was just bitching.
[/quote]

Admit it, you pulled 3 references in which you had no idea how they did, you just pulled names.

And yes in this league now it is very hard to win without a competent quarterback.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1324325176' post='1077131']

No kidding. I have been [b]pleasantly[/b] surprised at the success this team has experienced, and am really looking forward to what they can do next year when they rebuild the line and give Dalton and AJ even more time to make CBs look silly...
[/quote]

I think next year will be fun too, but I think 2013 will be the year we are talked about as championship material, as we will have spent those Oak picks as well as the notion thats the year the cap floor has to be met.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324327081' post='1077140']

Who's bitching about the team? Clearly I'm mocking the belief that a 8 win non playoff season is an accomplishment.

Look at these sad sack homers actually pulling up a thread in which they outrageously predicted 8 wins and then attempting to talk smack. Sad.

I stand by what I said back then. Stating 8 wins as optimistic is just an example of how low some fans expectations have gotten.

[b]I wish I could think like a Kenneth and accept minor awards in life but I can't. [/b] NFL teams that are determined to be the greatest are judged by playoff glory and superbowl glory. Last time I checked the Bengals are in the NFL and charge NFL prices.

9th win of this season is important, IMO. If they don't get it, years down the road this will be a lost season that gets thrown in with all the rest.

I never hear someone state "The Bengals have had 2 winning season and 3 .500 seasons, and 4 7 win seasons in the past 20+ years".

It's always "They have only produce 2 winning seasons in the past 20+ years".
[/quote]

See the difference between me and you is not that I can accept minor awards in life, it's that my life doesn't change depending on how the world views my favorite team. I like watching and talking about football in general, and the Bengals in particular. I feel for you that you can't accept the things you have no influence on. Maybe the rest of your life sucks, and you need the Bengals to be successful in order to feel good about something. Sorry for your luck.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1324328301' post='1077147']

See the difference between me and you is not that I can accept minor awards in life, it's that my life doesn't change depending on how the world views my favorite team. I like watching and talking about football in general, and the Bengals in particular. I feel for you that you can't accept the things you have no influence on. Maybe the rest of your life sucks, and you need the Bengals to be successful in order to feel good about something. Sorry for your luck.
[/quote]

Sorry but this is silly, I have a decent life and am pretty happy with it, the bengals dont affect that at all, so when I am critical it doesnt affect other areas of my life, but that doesnt mean I shouldnt be critical just because I cant control it.

I have never lived in the future...because the future is promised to no one. Thus, it is no different with this franchise. Yes, you prepare. Yes, you plan. Yes, you put pieces in place. But you never say: "gosh, it looks so good for next year...or the year after that". Just as fast as you put things in place..invariably, they go awry.

I expected this team to win from the beginning of the season. But, I do that every year.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1324329665' post='1077152']
I have never lived in the future...because the future is promised to no one. Thus, it is no different with this franchise. Yes, you prepare. Yes, you plan. Yes, you put pieces in place. But you never say: "gosh, it looks so good for next year...or the year after that". Just as fast as you put things in place..invariably, they go awry.

I expected this team to win from the beginning of the season. But, I do that every year.
[/quote]

Well, actually the ones who say it looks good for next year are usually those who say it looks good for this year. The doomcriers are saying it is black now and for forever.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1324328301' post='1077147']

[/quote]

I've learned from past experience. I've discussed the merits of a 8 win season with a group of bengal fans. I felt strongly that 2003's 8 wins should have been accepted as a great accomplishment.

In the end when they shit the bed in 2008 and 2010 it didn't stop the public perception of the bengals from almost automatically going back to the pre Marvin era. Those 8 wins didn't stop popular players from trying to force their way out.

IMO, it's proven. Non winning seasons just get lumped together. There are just very few instances were you see a .500 applauded by the opinion makers in the NFL.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1324329934' post='1077155']

I've learned from past experience. I've discussed the merits of a 8 win season with a group of bengal fans. I felt strongly that 2003's 8 wins should have been accepted as a great accomplishment.

In the end when they shit the bed in 2008 and 2010 it didn't stop the public perception of the bengals from almost automatically going back to the pre Marvin era. Those 8 wins didn't stop popular players from trying to force their way out.

IMO, it's proven. Non winning seasons just get lumped together. There are just very few instances were you see a .500 applauded by the opinion makers in the NFL.
[/quote]

Who gives a shit about opinion makers in the NFL? They hate us win or lose.

Archived