Scott not as involved as Bengals want

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15616585"][b]2 minutes ago[/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15616585"][b]Scott not as involved as Bengals want[/b][/url]
Marvin Lewis wanted to involve RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1674146/bernard-scott"]Bernard Scott[/url] more this season, but only managed six carries thus far. Lewis and offensive coordinator Jay Gruden were going by feel to mix him with RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/406400/cedric-benson"]Cedric Benson[/url]. That's proven ineffective. Lewis insinuated he'll institute a set rotation. "I’ve got to do it and say ‘OK, this is when,'" Lewis said. "And that’s my fault."

Jermaine Gresham paced the Bengals skill position players in snaps for the second consecutive weeks, this time handling 68 of a possible 69. AJ Green (64) again led the wideouts, with Jerome Simpson (55) right on his tail. Unlike last week, Green also handled a few more pass routes than Simpson. Jordan Shipley was lost for the season after 18 snaps, allowing Andre Caldwell to step into the No. 3 role. He was in on 39 snaps, 31 of which were pass plays. Cedric Benson (50 snaps) is still the workhorse, and Brian Leonard (16) handily beat out Bernard Scott (four) for snaps for the second straight week. Clearly, they prefer Leonard to Scott in pass situations.

[url="http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/20/fantasy-the-snap-report-%E2%80%93-week-2/"]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/20/fantasy-the-snap-report-%E2%80%93-week-2/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1316627330' post='1034501']
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15616585"][b]2 minutes ago[/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15616585"][b]Scott not as involved as Bengals want[/b][/url]
Marvin Lewis wanted to involve RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1674146/bernard-scott"]Bernard Scott[/url] more this season, but only managed six carries thus far. Lewis and offensive coordinator Jay Gruden were going by feel to mix him with RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/406400/cedric-benson"]Cedric Benson[/url]. That's proven ineffective. Lewis insinuated he'll institute a set rotation. "I’ve got to do it and say ‘OK, this is when,'" Lewis said. "And that’s my fault."
[/quote]

Marvin stop apologizing for it and fix it then.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1316628334' post='1034510']
Its more than just extra carries - if they are going to use him more use him in ways that accentuate his skills - not only have they limited his touches but when he does get the ball so far this year it has been on plays better suited to ced
[/quote]
Exactly. And its really frustrating to watch, too, knowing the talent that Scott has if he would just be utilized properly.

Good. We can be much more effective running the ball. Especially if Cedric is fresh. Rotating them will keep defenses off guards. When you see Cedric, you think brute, between the tackle kind of guy who can break some tackles. Scott is a scat back who can take it to the house. Put them in there and keep other teams off balance by doing both with them. I really hope they can do this..or else teams will load the left side and stuff us.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1316627400' post='1034503']
Jermaine Gresham paced the Bengals skill position players in snaps for the second consecutive weeks, this time handling 68 of a possible 69. AJ Green (64) again led the wideouts, with Jerome Simpson (55) right on his tail. Unlike last week, Green also handled a few more pass routes than Simpson. Jordan Shipley was lost for the season after 18 snaps, allowing Andre Caldwell to step into the No. 3 role. He was in on 39 snaps, 31 of which were pass plays. Cedric Benson (50 snaps) is still the workhorse, and Brian Leonard (16) handily beat out Bernard Scott (four) for snaps for the second straight week. [b]Clearly, they prefer Leonard to Scott in pass situations.[/b]

[url="http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/20/fantasy-the-snap-report-%E2%80%93-week-2/"]http://www.profootba...2%80%93-week-2/[/url]
[/quote]
Funny but I thought that one of Scott's strengths coming out of college was his ability to catch out of the backfield.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1316632676' post='1034528'] Funny but I thought that one of Scott's strengths coming out of college was his ability to catch out of the backfield.[/quote]

It is, but they are in love with Leonard. I dont have a problem with it either, but you take him away from returning kicks because he would be more apart of the offense? I think Scott would be a great 3rd down back, but would be even better in a 1-2 punch with Benson if used right

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1316632676' post='1034528']
Funny but I thought that one of Scott's strengths coming out of college was his ability to catch out of the backfield.
[/quote]

I don't think its so much that they don't think Scott can catch as much as it is they think Leonard is such a great pass blocker as far as blitz pickup goes. Pass Pro isn't exactly Scott's strongsuit.

IMO they give the Leonard the nod over Scott so that, even if the play calls for leonard to go out to receive, if they audible out of the play they have a capable back to protect Dalton.

I have a feeling the Bengals went into this season hoping to run the ball 30-35 times a game with 20-25 carries for Benson and 10-15 touches for Scott.

Leonard is more valuable in the passing game because he gives them versatility once the defense gets set with his blitz pick up ability as 1181 noted.

Scott is unfortunately going to watch games pass him by unless we can get the offense moving early. If we're moving the ball in the first half, extending drives and getting good YPC on early downs Scott will get his touches. If we're getting stuffed on 1st down (ala DEN) we're probably not stringing more than 4 or 5 plays together and likely looking at 3-4 offensive drives in the first half (where 2 are spent failing in the run game and the other 2 are spent passing to catch up).

I hope they can control the clock and get Scott involved in the game, but as it stands I'd rather have Benson get most/all the ground touches for the first drive or two because he is the better back. If we're picking up 5 yards a clip then Scott will spell him and take one to the house...if we're running into the back of the guards, then I don't think Scott will fair much better anyway.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1316636409' post='1034555']

Scott is unfortunately going to watch games pass him by unless we can get the offense moving early.[/quote]

x2

You can't use your change of pace back if there's no "pace" to the running game.

His role should expand as more of the offense gets installed and the new coaches and players get a better feel for the offense. It also wouldn't hurt to be playing with a lead. Marvin's recent comments hinting at a forced role for Scott may yield something reminiscent of the time share for the Giants (probably to a lesser extent) where Bradshaw and Jacobs essentially alternate series.

Edit: I hadn't read or seen Marvin's presser when I wrote this, so it looks like he did more than hint at the situation in NY.

Why don't they create a handful of plays where Scott can line up in the slot? They've got to figure out a way to get him the ball more and if his blitz pickup isn't good then it makes sense that the bigger backs would get the nod on pass plays to protect Andy. Can Cedric lead block? Why not run a 2 back set on obvious run situations and have Ced be the FB for Scott on a few plays here and there. I don't understand why they don't try a couple plays with both of them in the backfield at the same time.

scott is the most misued player on the team, we need to use him the same way we used chris perry back in like 2005, outside runs, counters, screens etc...it feels like he's used as tho he's ced's backup (which he is) and the same type running back, kinda the same way brat used to say "jerome is chad's backup" use the guy for other stuff get creative!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1316640404' post='1034578']
x2

You can't use your change of pace back if there's no "pace" to the running game.

His role should expand as more of the offense gets installed and the new coaches and players get a better feel for the offense. It also wouldn't hurt to be playing with a lead. Marvin's recent comments hinting at a forced role for Scott may yield something reminiscent of the time share for the Giants (probably to a lesser extent) where Bradshaw and Jacobs essentially alternate series.
[/quote]

IMO as more gets installed you're going to see Scott more involved in the passing game.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1316640516' post='1034579']
Why don't they create a handful of plays where Scott can line up in the slot? They've got to figure out a way to get him the ball more and if his blitz pickup isn't good then it makes sense that the bigger backs would get the nod on pass plays to protect Andy. Can Cedric lead block? Why not run a 2 back set on obvious run situations and have Ced be the FB for Scott on a few plays here and there. I don't understand why they don't try a couple plays with both of them in the backfield at the same time.
[/quote]

I imagine there's a lot of plays they haven't learned yet. 2-3 weeks ago Reedy said they had about 100 plays down (and who knows how long before then he had heard that). Some NFL playbooks are as big as 1000 plays, so I"m sure they're adding stuff every week.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316645172' post='1034604']

I imagine there's a lot of plays they haven't learned yet. 2-3 weeks ago Reedy said they had about 100 plays down (and who knows how long before then he had heard that). Some NFL playbooks are as big as 1000 plays, so I"m sure they're adding stuff every week.
[/quote]
Oh, I am sure that's true...but this issue with Scott goes back a couple years. Brat didn't use him enough/properly either with a fully established offseason, playbook, etc. I really think that we can shake things up with Bernard getting a solid 10-15 touches a game. Keep defenses guessing and Cedric fresher.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1316645540' post='1034606']
Oh, I am sure that's true...but this issue with Scott goes back a couple years. Brat didn't use him enough/properly either with a fully established offseason, playbook, etc. I really think that we can shake things up with Bernard getting a solid 10-15 touches a game. Keep defenses guessing and Cedric fresher.
[/quote]

oh I agree with the Brat stuff. I"m just thinking, if you have a set amount of plays you can install before the season starts, you're going to install the Benson plays, which is going to be your bread and butter. Benson and Scott are different enough backs that I'm sure it changes how the oline blocks in some way.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of "utilizing his abilities" differently. He is a running back, and until he shows he can line up and gain yards as a running back, on a standard running play the defense is going to key on him every time he steps on the field. From what I've seen he goes down at first contact and he isn't going to be in on 3rd down, either, if he can't pick up blitzes effectively.

Honestly, from what I've seen, Ced leaves the game and we can't gain 3 yards on the ground. Why should Scott get more carries again?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1316640404' post='1034578']
x2

Edit: I hadn't read or seen Marvin's presser when I wrote this, so it looks like he did more than hint at the situation in NY.
[/quote]

Or compare it to what we did with Brandon Johnson and Rivers the last few years. It might suck for Rivers to be pulled for third down, but at least both know the drill. Or like Ced and Leonard do with 'third down back' switches. They need to have a set, fixed 'role' that they all know is when to bring in Scott.

Archived