The Good, Bad, and Ugly

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1323642614' post='1074138']
Can someone explain to me why the fuck we have AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, and Jerome Simpson- tall, athletic guys that can outleap any defender, NOT being used for jump balls in the end zone, and instead being perfectly happy with field goals? Why no fades? Why no jump balls?

I am so fucking sick of Marvinball. So goddamn conservative. There is no reason why this team should stall out in/near the red zone 90% without EVER taking shots into the end zone. Its inexcusable.

This team, like of all Marvins teams, lack the killer instinct and the killer playcalling.

Like someone else said, Mediocre Marvin.

Also, why do we keep running Benson to the right, when that is the side of the line with TWO backups playing in the second half?

And why in the fuck is Hawkins not getting the ball 5-7 times per game? You give him the ball when you need him to make a play, he always deliver. But you only use him then? once or twice a game? He can be a WR version of Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles-ish.

I am so unbelievably pissed at the outcome of this game. Marvin, Jay and Zimmer absolutely gave this game away. They failed their players and they failed their fans.
[/quote]

You can't win if you don't execute. A wide-open #2 receiver in the middle of the field at the goal line is totally unexcusable.

I appreciate the optimism people are hanging onto, even after this collapse, and I wish I could share in on it. But let's face it, this is a pretty bad football team right now. They certainly don't look like a team that's capable of winning out.

The only silver lining I can find is that they've been better than most of us expected and gave us some pretty good entertainment for most of the season. I'm trying to keep that in mind as I fight off the temptation to say really ugly things about them.

[quote name='saphead' timestamp='1323641569' post='1074122']

I think this team is more prepared to win a playoff game the 09' team. And I want these young guys to get a taste of the playoffs
[/quote]

How? We just lost to a 3rd string qb?

This team would get crushed in the playoffs-----unfortunately

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1323642802' post='1074144']
I appreciate the optimism people are hanging onto, even after this collapse, and I wish I could share in on it. But let's face it, this is a pretty bad football team right now. They certainly don't look like a team that's capable of winning out.

The only silver lining I can find is that they've been better than most of us expected and gave us some pretty good entertainment for most of the season. I'm trying to keep that in mind as I fight off the temptation to say really ugly things about them.
[/quote]

My biggest concern is Marvin's teams have consistently faded late in the season

Wow---Oakland is getting destroyed!!!

[quote name='Jungle1' timestamp='1323642832' post='1074145']
How? We just lost to a 3rd string qb?

This team would get crushed in the playoffs-----unfortunately
[/quote]

why do you think we would get crushed? In 4 of the 5 games against probable AFC playoff teams we lost be a combined 17 ponts, and those 4 were decided in the last minute of the game

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1323643889' post='1074157']
I don't see us beating the Cards, honestly. They have too much passing offense. This team doesn't know how to play 4 quarters
[/quote]
The one advantage we will have over the Cards is they will have not played in cold weather untill they get here and west coast teams usually suck coming east.

[size=4]

[quote name='Jungle1' timestamp='1323642976' post='1074147']
My biggest concern is Marvin's teams have consistently faded late in the season
[/quote]

You ain't kidding. The 2006 team started and 8-5 and then finished with three straight losses. The 2009 team started 9-3 and lost four of their last five. And there is the heralded 2005 team that started 11-3 and finished the season with three straight losses. If history is any indicator, we're better off talking about 2012.[/size]

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1323643620' post='1074152']

why do you think we would get crushed? In 4 of the 5 games against probable AFC playoff teams we lost be a combined 17 ponts, and those 4 were decided in the last minute of the game
[/quote]

We played better early in the season. Right now we are bad. We have only beat the Browns lately and that was close. Any playoff game will be on the road-----not good for us.

Regardless, I think our playoff thoughts are wishful thinking for this season

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1323642484' post='1074134']
Think we need a really precise route runner with some size, ala Jordy Nelson across from AJ Green. Rome just is too incosistent.

And tackling. We are so poor in this aspect. A lot of 2 yard gains turned into ten because of arm tackles.

The biggest ugly was the run game in the second half. We looked so good in the first half. I'm not sure what happened, but this team is not going to be a consistent ass-kicker until they get something that is consistent in the run game.
[/quote]

Lost Bobbie.

[quote name='The Left Hand of Frerotte' timestamp='1323647170' post='1074196']
The Bengals don't deserve to make the playoffs after this game. Giving up a game winning 2 minute drive to a 5th round rookie QB making his first start and playing w/out his best option? I thought those days were over.
[/quote]
Not his first start. This was his 2nd start and third game he has played in but it still sucks.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1323647315' post='1074197']
We're still a few players away. Get the draft picks.
[/quote]

Seems like we say this every year doesnt it?

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1323647518' post='1074200']

So we shouldnt talk about playoff possibilities anymore just cause we arent in right now? If we win out we still have a decent shot. Not great, but an okay shot.
[/quote]

Talk all you want, but it's still wishful thinking.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1323648240' post='1074204']

yes, because the Bengals are totally out of it.

:facepalm:
[/quote]

we may not be completely out, but we are currently playing our worst football of the season. I don't expect to make the playoffs playing like today and last week.

I blame not having a practice bubble for the winter!!!!

[quote name='Jungle1' timestamp='1323640861' post='1074112']
Does anyone really care about making the playoffs if we are just going to lose in the first round? We have not defeated one quality team this year.

Bengals future is much brighter than the present
[/quote]

I do. I care very much about 9 wins and then playoffs.

Arizona cards was huge joke of playoff teams prior to them going to superbowl. Seattle with a losing record won a playoff game last year.

The road to the superbowl is a tournament.

On top of all that winning/playoffs is a good vibe for a young roster.

Archived