*** FINISHED BASEMENT - its over... ***

GoBengals

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1340559178' post='1136520']
drywall was delivered from lowes on Friday. awaiting a call from a friend of a friend on when they will get started on the drywall work.. i am supplying the materials, drywall, tape, mud, corner bead, etc, and building him 2 small websites, in return for drywalling my entire basemend, and texturing for $250
[/quote]

That's a great deal. Can't wait to see updated pics.

(P.S. Why can't I type in a post, and then hit tab, and then hit enter? When I do it, it brings me to a strange page, and when I hit back my post is gone)

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1340587478' post='1136585']
That's a great deal. Can't wait to see updated pics.

(P.S. Why can't I type in a post, and then hit tab, and then hit enter? When I do it, it brings me to a strange page, and when I hit back my post is gone)
[/quote]

cant wait to have the drywall done.. then i can paint, which will be cake with no ceiling or carpet to worry about...

and when i hit tab it goes to the top of the page... so im in the same boat.... no clue...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1340673620' post='1136707']

cant wait to have the drywall done.. then i can paint, which will be cake with no ceiling or carpet to worry about...

and when i hit tab it goes to the top of the page... so im in the same boat.... no clue...
[/quote]

The last couple of versions of IPB have had some quirky ass bugs. Every time I bold something and then backspace it takes me to the top of the post. Vexing...

• 1 year later...

AND 13 months later.....

i worked out a deal trading  website, business cards, post cards, graphic design and traded an old laptop to get drywall work done...

some in progress pics...

This is the "theater room" aka mirror image of my family room, gonna put some big comfy chairs and a love seat in here, facing the unfinished wall where its taken from, thats where the TV will hang.. the room is 16 x 13' :

[attachment=1161:2013-07-06 20.31.44.jpg]

same room as above, just facing the wall where all the home audio network and speaker wire boxes are on the wall. 

[attachment=1162:2013-07-06 20.31.30.jpg]

these next two pics are comnig down the hallway after turning left past the Den/office, double door storage closet on right, future 4th bathroom on left:

[attachment=1163:2013-07-06 20.31.15.jpg]

[attachment=1164:2013-07-06 20.30.43.jpg]

thats the closet mentioned above..standing in den/office doorway

[attachment=1165:2013-07-06 20.30.29.jpg]

Den/office, french doors go on right there..room is approx 11' x 12.5'

[attachment=1166:2013-07-06 20.30.07.jpg]

same room as above, den/office:

[attachment=1167:2013-07-06 20.29.57.jpg]

panarama pic at bottom of steps, left is the door to unbisihed storage space, about 7' x 14' unifinshed space storage and sump pump in there..hallways ro right to den/office type area, first door on right goes under steps and is where my "lan room" is located..

[attachment=1169:2013-07-06 20.29.15.jpg]

bought all the drywall with lowes gift cards i had racked up... it sat in my garage for EVER... and finally traded services with some hispanic gentlemen to get the work started...

they come back tomorrow to hang the last 4-5 sheets and start the tape/mud process and adding the bullnose corners...

things should look really good starting tomorrow night... and theyll finish up wednesday or thursday...

i hope to buy paint and trim this weekend or next, my sister game me lowes gift cards for my birthday, so thatl cover that..

THEN i hit a dead end until i can afford to buy doors, i have $400 in lowes gift cards, so i can get the trim, paint and all but 1 door.. the french doors for the den/office is like $300, so that one is last...

then that leaves carpet and ceiling.. ceiling is $650 or so, 2" x 2" coffered tiles..

so im $2500 from finishing... but it will probably take 6 months or more to come up with that kind of "extra" cash..

Good stuff man. I somewhat randomly, unexpectedly sold my house, and one day before I accepted the offer on my old house, my new house showed up on the hudhomestore.com site that I've been watching like a hawk for the last 2 years.

My new house has a partial basement (about 800 sq. ft. of basement), and I can't wait to start the finishing process. Living area of the finished parts of the house is 2500 sq. ft., so it's hard for me to justify the expense at this point (house is 500sq. ft. bigger than last house). Not to mention it still needs a deck and a shed built.

I bought it for $80k less than it was built for in 2007 (built for $240k), and besides needing carpets stretched and the AC recharged it was move-in ready. Similar house down the road sold for $220k last week (that one was built for $217k in 2007).

Definitely thrilled about how it all went down...

And my neighborhood features homes in the Springboro, Lebanon, and Franklin school districts, and we just happen to be in the Franklin school district (3 houses away from being in Springboro), so I'm still considered a white trash Franklin OH resident  :32: 

And my neighborhood features homes in the Springboro, Lebanon, and Franklin school districts, and we just happen to be in the Franklin school district (3 houses away from being in Springboro), so I'm still considered a white trash Franklin OH resident  :32:

i do miss midwest house pricing(but nothing else, except maybe pizza)... unless i wanna live in the wilmington equivalent from the real world here shit is pricey..

my basement is about the same as yours is seems, adds about 800 SQ feet finished and still have some unfinished storage, more importantly a real office space finally and a second entertainment area...

school system here is tits though... cant beat it... 

Good stuff man. I somewhat randomly, unexpectedly sold my house, and one day before I accepted the offer on my old house, my new house showed up on the hudhomestore.com site that I've been watching like a hawk for the last 2 years.

My new house has a partial basement (about 800 sq. ft. of basement), and I can't wait to start the finishing process. Living area of the finished parts of the house is 2500 sq. ft., so it's hard for me to justify the expense at this point (house is 500sq. ft. bigger than last house). Not to mention it still needs a deck and a shed built.

I bought it for $80k less than it was built for in 2007 (built for $240k), and besides needing carpets stretched and the AC recharged it was move-in ready. Similar house down the road sold for $220k last week (that one was built for $217k in 2007).

Definitely thrilled about how it all went down...

hell of a steal.

more progress today:

[attachment=1171:2013-07-10 19.37.34.jpg]

[attachment=1172:2013-07-10 19.36.54.jpg]

[attachment=1173:2013-07-10 19.36.39.jpg]

[attachment=1174:2013-07-10 19.36.11.jpg]

[attachment=1176:2013-07-10 19.35.36.jpg]

[attachment=1177:2013-07-10 19.35.24.jpg]

[attachment=1178:2013-07-10 19.34.55.jpg]

Great job Ryan.  One question.  Once the basement is finished, do you need to get a new appraisal done for insurance purposes ?

Perhaps your efforts is the inspiration I need to finish my project.  Granted mine is a coop for my chickens but the house I live in is done and needs only landscaping efforts as can be seen from some of the photos.  Planting trees, garden hideaway, etc...  The coop structure still requires screening, trimming out the corners and openings, and of course fencing to keep my curious dogs out and the chickens inside.

Note:  If using an electric paint sprayer outside, wear the crappiest clothes and shoes you can find, a respirator, and goggles.  I wore goggles and a mask but did not think of changing clothes until it was too late.

Great job Ryan.  One question.  Once the basement is finished, do you need to get a new appraisal done for insurance purposes ?

Perhaps your efforts is the inspiration I need to finish my project.  Granted mine is a coop for my chickens but the house I live in is done and needs only landscaping efforts as can be seen from some of the photos.  Planting trees, garden hideaway, etc...  The coop structure still requires screening, trimming out the corners and openings, and of course fencing to keep my curious dogs out and the chickens inside.

Note:  If using an electric paint sprayer outside, wear the crappiest clothes and shoes you can find, a respirator, and goggles.  I wore goggles and a mask but did not think of changing clothes until it was too late.

Thanks, and no, i will not, I will make sure my coverage covers my basement finishing costs, and the best way I have read, is to switch companies and tell the new insurance company you have a finished basement, and youre good to go...  but the insurance lady works with my sister so i may not even have to do that much...

I helped my dad with a few outdoor projects back in Ohio, they are a lot easier as they dont have to be so perfect, and there are so many products for using outdoors that are durable and last forever its a lot easier to make something look good with less effort than 5-10 years ago.

Congrats man. It's an awesome feeling watching it all come together.

Thanks, yes is has been a dead project for a long while, i am really excited to get it rolling again... the trim is going to be horrible, but the doors and paint and cieling shouldnt be too bad... and obviously someone else will be doing the carpet...

Dude trim sucks, but it is well worth it to do it right.  I trimmed everything out, did trim squares, chair rail, and trayed ceilings, it was a total pain in the ass...and took a lot of time, but now I am glad I did it.  Here are some pics of the bar area and theater room.  Some of the pics are shitty quality.

... the trim is going to be horrible...

Trim doesn't have to be horrible.  Certain items there is no way around it and are very time consuming (coping and crown moldings come to mind).  However, face framing for built ins is a snap now and items like a fireplace surround and shelving are simple too.  I have not finished (sanding and painting) yet but I made the gate for the coop also which is almost too nice to use for a gate.  I bought a Kreg's pocket hole jig for a little less than 100 and it is almost idiot proof to use.  After using biscuit joiners and dowels for other projects this thing makes me cry about all the time I wasted using those methods.  Best thing is you don't have to always use glue and you can almost go to install right away.  Glue does fill in slight imperfections in the joint but otherwise is not needed if the wood is cut and planed accurately.  Although I haven't done it yet this little tool can also make quick work or a bar, cabinets, and a table.  The kit comes with DVD's and a free coupon for a cabinetry book download.

http://www.kregtool.com/pocket-hole-jigs-prodlist.html

There are videos and stuff on there to give you an idea of what they have available and what they can do.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cEqiPuv3dY&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL31C0F19D152BA3EB[/media]

Dude trim sucks, but it is well worth it to do it right.  I trimmed everything out, did trim squares, chair rail, and trayed ceilings, it was a total pain in the ass...and took a lot of time, but now I am glad I did it.  Here are some pics of the bar area and theater room.  Some of the pics are shitty quality.

super nice! I wont be doing much of that in the basement, just the standard baseboards and door trim and such.. 

I have the coffered/tray ceiling in my master bedroom that is trimmed out, i love it. with a 6 and 8 yr old in the house, everything we do is on a level knowing we will have to re-do it in 8-10 years once they are past the breaking everything stages..the highest end thing for the basement will be carpet, that i dont want to replace anytime soon.. so i want a great pad and solid strong carpet, i know ill have to repaint and many other things later, probably frame in windows later, etc wheren ill just have drywalled them now..

we also did fake wood floors and mediocre carpet on the main floor, which was a very very good idea, 3 years in and kids would have jacked up decent carpet or whatever.. i think we are going to tile the entire main floor in a few years, 2-3, easy to clean, durable and looks nicer than most carpet.. then replace counter tops and cabinets in 5-6 years.. we did granite tile and average cabinets..

Trim doesn't have to be horrible.  Certain items there is no way around it and are very time consuming (coping and crown moldings come to mind).  However, face framing for built ins is a snap now and items like a fireplace surround and shelving are simple too.  I have not finished (sanding and painting) yet but I made the gate for the coop also which is almost too nice to use for a gate.  I bought a Kreg's pocket hole jig for a little less than 100 and it is almost idiot proof to use.  After using biscuit joiners and dowels for other projects this thing makes me cry about all the time I wasted using those methods.  Best thing is you don't have to always use glue and you can almost go to install right away.  Glue does fill in slight imperfections in the joint but otherwise is not needed if the wood is cut and planed accurately.  Although I haven't done it yet this little tool can also make quick work or a bar, cabinets, and a table.  The kit comes with DVD's and a free coupon for a cabinetry book download.

http://www.kregtool.com/pocket-hole-jigs-prodlist.html

There are videos and stuff on there to give you an idea of what they have available and what they can do.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cEqiPuv3dY&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL31C0F19D152BA3EB[/media]

thats a sweeet tool, with just doing the baseboards and door trim it wont come in handy, but once i go to potentially build a back yard storage area i could see using that plenty..

im dying to get past the drywall point now..

doing drop ceiling in case i need access to wiring and stuff later, here is what im using:

westminster-white-ceiling-tile.jpg

westminster-white-ceiling-tiles.jpg

a medium grey walls and a semi dark grey carpet i think..

Are those vinyl panels ?  They look really good and things have changed a lot from back in the day when vinyl looked like vinyl and not like wood.  I am really interested in seeing the final shot of the ceiling with these tiles.  The other half saw this photo and asked me "what kind of work would it take ?" and not the infamous How much ?  Which means she wants this.  She also wants the metal style tile in the kitchen... 

Are those vinyl panels ?  They look really good and things have changed a lot from back in the day when vinyl looked like vinyl and not like wood.  I am really interested in seeing the final shot of the ceiling with these tiles.  The other half saw this photo and asked me "what kind of work would it take ?" and not the infamous How much ?  Which means she wants this.  She also wants the metal style tile in the kitchen... 

yea they are plastic, i got some samples sent, they look nice... and less than half as much as the super thick ones.. it was a lot cheaper to do these and insultaed behind them that to get the ticket insulated ones..

http://www.ceilume.com

they sell all kinds..

Perhaps your efforts is the inspiration I need to finish my project.  Granted mine is a coop for my chickens

You probably know this already, but from the experience of a friend of mine I can tell you to make that thing absolutely raccoon-proof. They will dig under fence or otherwise find any possible way to get in there. He has a few large dogs too but he doesn't leave them outdoors and even with a doggie-door or the like you wouldn't want them catching rabies or god-knows-what from tearing into a raccoon anyway.

super nice! I wont be doing much of that in the basement, just the standard baseboards and door trim and such.. 

I have the coffered/tray ceiling in my master bedroom that is trimmed out, i love it. with a 6 and 8 yr old in the house, everything we do is on a level knowing we will have to re-do it in 8-10 years once they are past the breaking everything stages..the highest end thing for the basement will be carpet, that i dont want to replace anytime soon.. so i want a great pad and solid strong carpet, i know ill have to repaint and many other things later, probably frame in windows later, etc wheren ill just have drywalled them now..

we also did fake wood floors and mediocre carpet on the main floor, which was a very very good idea, 3 years in and kids would have jacked up decent carpet or whatever.. i think we are going to tile the entire main floor in a few years, 2-3, easy to clean, durable and looks nicer than most carpet.. then replace counter tops and cabinets in 5-6 years.. we did granite tile and average cabinets..

Dude the carpet and pad make a huge difference, that is definitely a smart idea going for the higher quality stuff.  When we bought our house and redid it all I couldn't afford to go the nicer carpet and pad because we had to redo the whole house so I got the lower\middle grade stuff.  For the basement I wanted it done right so I got the 9lb pad and the heavier nylon carpet and it is night and day vs the rest of the house. 

Those ceiling panels look great.  That is going to look bad ass and super fancy.  Make sure to post pics when it is done, I want to see how those things look up.

Dude the carpet and pad make a huge difference, that is definitely a smart idea going for the higher quality stuff.  When we bought our house and redid it all I couldn't afford to go the nicer carpet and pad because we had to redo the whole house so I got the lower\middle grade stuff.  For the basement I wanted it done right so I got the 9lb pad and the heavier nylon carpet and it is night and day vs the rest of the house. 

Those ceiling panels look great.  That is going to look bad ass and super fancy.  Make sure to post pics when it is done, I want to see how those things look up.

they make a rubber pad for putting straight on concreete thats a 21lb pad, life of home warranty and all that... ill probably go that route.. 

the panels are great, the small issue is the border, with it being coffered like that, you can use those on the edge.. so you have to use different edge panels, flat-ish ones, they have the same design just not caved in, i just hope those dont take away from the rest of it...

i also put in a seperation by one of the walls for the hallway so i didnt have to line up the main room and the hallway tiles, as that would have been a nightmare too..

Archived