Our inability to close out games is worrisome

We won today, but we had some help from a bad Cardinals team (the fall was a blessing). Against Houston, we had the same issues. You can go back to earlier games, like against the Colts and Jags, and you can see the teams came back. This is something that has to be fixed from the coaching staff. Come playoff time, we won't win games like we did today.

Get some perspective. At the beginning of the season, no one would be saying this type of bullshit. They were supposed to be a god-awful team. With a rookie QB and rookie #1 receiver, a taste of the playoffs for experience sake would be fucking incredible. Obviously I would like them to be able to hold a lead, but its all a part of the maturation process. Like I said in the game day forum, I don't give a fuck who they beat and how they beat em, 9 up and 6 down and still in the playoff hunt is so far beyond what we could have hoped for coming into this season that its almost criminal to be down-talking a win like this.

[size=6]WHO DEY!![/size]

We aren't a great team yet. We're just a young, talented team who has a ton of heart and is actually in it to play for their teammates. We have some key injuries. But I'm enjoying every second of it. And by every second, I mean every second except for the fourth quarters against the Texans and Cardinals. :lol:

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1324763267' post='1079318']
The play-calling gets too conservative when they have a lead, but Benson's butterfingers didn't help today. I so hope he's not back next year.
[/quote]

^^^^^ This ^^^^

On top of that, it seems like when the Bengals are losing going into the half, they make adjustments, but when they are ahead, they don't make any.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1324762668' post='1079288']
I think closing out means winning. They won.

Yeah I wish it wouldn't have been as exciting at the end.
But that's on Benson and his 2 fucking fumbles.

If I were Marvin I would tell him "Merry Christmas, you're cut."
[/quote]

I hate those fumbles as much as anyone but you would really cut Benson?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1324764035' post='1079339']
I hate those fumbles as much as anyone but you would really cut Benson?
[/quote]

If a good replacement can be found in the draft (or otherwise), absolutely. I wouldn't cut him out of spite and leave the team without a suitable replacement, though.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1324765093' post='1079365']
I'm pretty sure we closed this one out.
[/quote]

Technically, you can say we "closed" it out. However, we entered the 4th quarter 23-0. Having the game come down to the way it did is worrisome. And that's not the first time it's happened. And it's definitely a cause for concern, there is no denying that.

[quote name='T.O.C.H.O SHOW' timestamp='1324764989' post='1079364']
lot of loser talk in this thread. who cares what expectations were before the season those expectations have now changed. Not winning in the playoffs would be a disappointment.
[/quote]

lol k, if you say so.

I'm definitely going to trust your judgment, given your apparent admiration for the "TOCHO SHOW"

Benson tried to give the game away, if you take away those two fumbles its very likely we win by more then 2 scores. The two missed FG by nugent also didnt help.

BUT, with all that being said this season with the team we have, IF we make the playoffs, would you rather have a team that can stick with teams better then them and can come from behind late in games or a team that can "close out games" against superior teams. IF we make the playoffs, games like this wont matter. I would rather have the team that can stick with anyone and come from behind in games then close out teams with 23 point leads (which we wont get in the playoffs).

[quote name='T.O.C.H.O SHOW' timestamp='1324764989' post='1079364']
lot of loser talk in this thread. who cares what expectations were before the season those expectations have now changed. Not winning in the playoffs would be a disappointment.
[/quote]
I care, since Im the one that said it. Its loser talk to sit here and talk about how badly your team WON and how they will get smoked by a [i]good[/i] team. News flash...every team in the NFL is good. Don't misunderstand...losing anytime is a disappointment. Preseason, regular season, or post-season. But when its all said and done after the season, making the playoffs with this group of players will be viewed around the league and by most of the Bengals fans as a win.

[quote name='The Left Hand of Frerotte' timestamp='1324765339' post='1079366']

Technically, you can say we "closed" it out. However, we entered the 4th quarter 23-0. Having the game come down to the way it did is worrisome. And that's not the first time it's happened. And it's definitely a cause for concern, there is no denying that.
[/quote]

What about the come from behind wins we've had all throughout the season, especially the first half of the year? Yeah, it sucks the Cardinals almost came back and the Texans did come back, but we did the exact same thing to multiple teams this year. I don't think that's who we are, it's just what has happened the past couple weeks.

Archived