Our inability to close out games is worrisome

I wonder if there was a thread like this on a Stealers forum, when the Stealers had us down 14-0
and we made a run and tied it?

Fact is, this team HAS closed out more 4th Quarters than they have not.
Anyone remember being down numerous times this season 17-7 at the Half?
Anyone remember Dalton leading FOUR 4th Quater comebacks this season?

I know a lot here consider me a Homer and that degrades everything I say here.
But I think this thread is stupid. For one, they WON the game. Yes it got way too
exciting there at the end for my tastes and my heart. But closing a game means
to WIN THE FUCKING GAME. Which they did. So that makes this thread dumb as hell.
I mean the thread title talks about "inability" to close the game. I don't see how that
pertains to a WIN.

Also, the Cardinals were fighting for their Playoff lives. It was basically a Playoff game
for them. They had won 6 out of their last 7 games. And were known for turning it on
in the 4th Quarter and Overtime in all of those wins. Some of those wins came against
The Eagles at Philly, the Cowboys and the 49ers. We CLOSED the game though and
sent their asses home for Christmas with no hopes of the Playoffs, while we control
our own Destiny.

Now some of you all can be "worried". Call others dickheads for thinking this thread is
stupid or whatever. But I for one am too busy enjoying the WIN to be worried about
what happened in the 4th Quarter yesterday. Because at the end of the day, all that
did happen was for me to go from "Yay and yawn" to blood pressure up and "YAY
WE WON THE FUCKING GAME AND ARE BASICALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS NOW!"

So with all that said, this thread is stupid. The people that are "worried" never take
any time to actually enjoy the ride. They are always too busy bitching about a
bump we hit before crossing the finish line for the win. And looking ahead to the
next meaningful race.

My advice to those people is lighten up and start enjoying what this team is doing.
Instead of worrying about what might happen.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1324828596' post='1079701']
I wonder if there was a thread like this on a Stealers forum, when the Stealers had us down 14-0

But I think this thread is stupid. For one, they WON the game. Yes it got way too
to WIN THE FUCKING GAME. Which they did. So that makes this thread dumb as hell.
I mean the thread title talks about "inability" to close the game. I don't see how that
pertains to a WIN.

Also, the Cardinals were fighting for their Playoff lives. It was basically a Playoff game
for them. They had won 6 out of their last 7 games. And were known for turning it on
in the 4th Quarter and Overtime in all of those wins. Some of those wins came against
sent their asses home for Christmas with no hopes of the Playoffs, while we control
our own Destiny.

Now some of you all can be "worried". Call others dickheads for thinking this thread is
stupid or whatever. But I for one am too busy enjoying the WIN to be worried about
what happened in the 4th Quarter yesterday. Because at the end of the day, all that

So with all that said, this thread is stupid. The people that are "worried" never take
bump we hit before crossing the finish line for the win. And looking ahead to the
next meaningful race.

My advice to those people is lighten up and start enjoying what this team is doing.
[/quote]

Agreed, although as you said it doesnt matter to some what us "homers" say because it automatically means our opinions dont matter to some.

Also, I think there is only 1 game all season that we have had an inability to close and that was Houston. I would maybe put SF in that category as well, but we never really had much of a lead in that game. Every other game we either won or we lost because we were down and our comeback fell short (Pittsbugh, Baltimore, and Denver. Also the second pittsburgh game was just a blow out, so once again not a game we just couldnt close). At the end of the day we have 6 losses. The 5 teams we've lost to are all either in the playoffs or first place in their division. Essentially saying we have closed out in the 9 games we've won.

Did we close out the two cleveland games? yes. Did we close out the Tenn game? Yes. Did we close out the Seattle game? Yes. Did we close out the Colts game? Yes. Did we close out the Jax game? yes.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1324828596' post='1079701']

pertains to a WIN.

our own Destiny.

next meaningful race.

[/quote]

I largely agree. A win is a win and it was against a hot team. If there are any concerns it should be related to Red Zone ineffectiviness and the inability of certain players to secure the ball using 3 points of contact. That is a fundamental lacking by several.

Although I don't completely discount the OP's point, the circumstances this week weren't a result of the team letting up. It was Ced's lack of grip that made things "interesting". Also, timing is everything, and this thread probably should have been put on the back burner for a day or so. I don't think the OP is a troll.

I'll take the win, and enjoy the fact that this team is still playing for something in the final week of the regular season.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1324830932' post='1079715']

I largely agree. A win is a win and it was against a hot team. If there are any concerns it should be related to Red Zone ineffectiviness and the inability of certain players to secure the ball using 3 points of contact. That is a fundamental lacking by several.
[/quote]

Even more generally, our short yardage run game has been a problem all year when Bobbie was out. And perhaps even when he was in.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324831384' post='1079719']

Even more generally, our short yardage run game has been a problem all year when Bobbie was out. And perhaps even when he was in.
[/quote]

Anyone else think we are perfectly set up for a play action bomb on 3rd and 1 this week vs Baltimore if the right opportunity arises. Baltimore is the type of D that would probably bite on a play action and after watching tape of us the last few weeks they will notice we have run up the gut almost every third and 1. I think a big turning point in the game against Baltimore could get set up by a 3rd and 1 going deep to Rome or AJ.

Its troublesome that we can't close out games, but I think to some degree its to be expected and IMO it won't ruin the fun and excitement I've had this year.

Playoff teams find a way to win.

Anyone think the Jets would rather have an ugly W right about now? Broncos? Cowboys?

A young team is going to struggle to put an entire game together. Three damn good qtrs is a vast improvement over the last couple weeks. Hopefully we continue to get better and really hit stride during the most important part of the season.

A win anyway we can get it against BAL and we head to Texas in a very winnable matchup no matter how ugly the end of our games are.

I agree, it is somewhat worrisome, but i also agree that this team is young and is still trying to "figure" it out on a consistent basis and hit on all cylinders. At this point, i will take wins anyway they can get them. One point i dont think anyone has mentioned, besides the Ced fumbles, Nugent missing two field goals also played a huge part in what transpired towards the end of the game. He has been money all year and missed two fairly easy kicks(for him) yesterday matching his total misses for the whole season. I dont think it will, but i just hope that does not become an issue down the stretch when this team will more than likely need him the most.

*By the way, What a huge fucking game this week! I will definitely admit, i never thought i would be saying that(this year anyway) going into week 17 of the season. Truly amazing. Who Dey!!!!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1324821605' post='1079675']

yep, kind of how I see it. young offense that is struggling to run the ball and has inexperience in the passing game. The defense held when they needed to. This is a young team that isn't as experienced as a season veteran team at closing out games. At the end of the day, they pulled it out.
[/quote]
Yeah the d really drew up that 4th down play great. Cardinals had the game tied until Doucet tripped on his shoe laces. It's nice to win but sheesh, they sure did get lucky. That won't keep happening.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1324835961' post='1079746']
Yeah the d really drew up that 4th down play great. Cardinals had the game tied until Doucet tripped on his shoe laces. It's nice to win but sheesh, they sure did get lucky. That won't keep happening.
[/quote]

Well we won the Texans game by recovering that fumble, then. So it all evens out.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1324822992' post='1079679']
I think a lot of it is the coaching. They changed philosophies in the late 3rd- entire 4th quarter. The defense was in a shell defense. basic cover two deep. During the first half, they were pressuring and taking the game to them.. That's how Fitz was able to cross in front of the LB on those crossing patterns. The offense was TRYING to play ground control.. I think they do it too early.. Get up by 30 something points then you can do that.
Green Bay, the Patriots, the Saints, the Steelers, they don't let up when they get a lead.... They continue to pressure and try to make big plays. It's easier for a defense to recover from a deep 45-55 yard pass interception than from a fumbled ball, giving the other team a short field to work with.
So I don't think it was their inability to close the game. It was a lack of balls to try and finish it early on the coaches part.. But the good guys won and we're one game away from going down to TX (3 hours away from me) and kicking ass!
[/quote]

Oh man, I got a question for you. Do you think Bill Cowher was a terrible coach? Do you Mike Tomlin is a terrible coach? Wait do you think a large majority of coaches who have won Super Bowls are terrible coaches? All of them used pretty much the same philosophy, you build a good lead then you pound the ball down the opposing teams throat to crush their will and eat the clock. It's a winning game plan that has worked time and time again. One thing you can't game plan for, is a knucklehead fumbling two times in your own half of the field. Shoot, everyone here know the Bengals have been a second half team, and that Cedric Benson and the running game have almost always come alive in the second half. So to steal a line, "Come on man," that is a weak excuse.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1324830932' post='1079715']

[/quote]

Agreed.

Archived