RB - Gray, Martin, Polk, Pead, Demps
WR - Wright, Fuller, Criner, McNutt, Robinson, Posey, Toon, Maze
OL - Zeitler, Adams, Silatolu, Sanders, Glenn, Bergstrom
DL - Still, Martin, Ingram, Coples, Curry, Crawford, Branch, Bequette
LB - David, Robinson, Brown, Upshaw
DB - Jenkins, Barron, Allen, Boykin, Fleming, Dennard, Menzies, Martin

[b] [size=6]Bengals begin draft prep at Senior Bowl[/size][/b]

[b] [size=6]Help needed for OL, secondary[/size][/b]

The last time the Bengals coaching staff was en route to Mobile, Ala., word of Carson Palmer’s trade demand was made public. A year later, things are quite different.

With two first-round picks, one of which was the result of Palmer’s trade to Oakland, the team begins the task of serious evaluations for the upcoming draft as practices for Saturday’s Senior Bowl begin today.

The Bengals won’t be in search for a quarterback, as their first true look at Andy Dalton was in last year’s game, but there remain plenty of positions in need of upgrades.

The biggest area of concern is the secondary, where cornerback Leon Hall is rehabbing from a season-ending Achilles injury and Adam Jones and Kelly Jennings are free agents. Two of the names frequently linked to the Bengals in mock drafts will be in the game: Nebraska’s Alfonzo Dennard and North Alabama’s Janoris Jenkins.

Dennard was a first-team All-Big Ten selection and the Tatum-Woodson Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year this season after the Huskers held quarterbacks to a conference-low 51 percent completion percentage along with 31 tackles and six pass breakups. Jenkins, who was at Florida before being booted off the team due to repeated off-field troubles, had two interceptions and 53 tackles, including four for loss, at North Alabama this past season.

Alabama safety Mark Barron is one of seven players from the BCS national champions who have been invited, but he is questionable due to injury. Barron was a unanimous first-team All-American selection with 78 tackles including two interceptions, five pass breakups and a sack.

Offensively, Georgia guard Cordy Glenn and Boise State running back Doug Martin could be intriguing. At guard, both starters, Bobbie Williams and Nate Livings, are slated to be free agents as is backup Mike McGlynn. Glenn started 50 games for the Bulldogs, which tied Clint Boling for the school record among offensive linemen. Martin, who has been receiving increased attention, rushed for 1,299 yards this season and 16 touchdowns along with seven 100-yard games.

There are also two local players of note – UC running back Isaiah Pead and Ohio State wide receiver DeVier Posey, who went to LaSalle High.

Pead was named Big East Offensive Player of the Year after leading the conference with 1,259 yards and 15 total touchdowns. He averaged 96.9 rushing yards per game this season, which was 27th in the nation. Posey, who is one of four Buckeyes to be invited, played in only three games this season with 12 receptions for 162 yards and two touchdowns. Posey received a pair of five-game suspensions from the NCAA for two separate incidents.

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120122/SPT02/301230021

The two guys who intrigue me the most that they mentioned in the article have gigantic red flags due to off the field behaviour, Jenkins and Posey would be good additions to this team but I don't want them due their inability to play by the rules.

I wouldn't be mad with Barron and Glenn in the first and getting a rb like Ganaway in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Ideally I would like to package the two first round picks and get Trent Richardson and fill the cb, safety, and OG positions with experienced vets in FA.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1327327834' post='1091486']
The two guys who intrigue me the most that they mentioned in the article have gigantic red flags due to off the field behaviour, Jenkins and Posey would be good additions to this team but I don't want them due their inability to play by the rules.

I wouldn't be mad with Barron and Glenn in the first and getting a rb like Ganaway in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Ideally I would like to package the two first round picks and get Trent Richardson and fill the cb, safety, and OG positions with experienced vets in FA.
[/quote]

Posey's "red flags" aren't going to influence his draft position, much at all. It's not drugs, it's not alcohol, its not even really discipline issues.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327330757' post='1091496']

Posey's "red flags" aren't going to influence his draft position, much at all. It's not drugs, it's not alcohol, its not even really discipline issues.
[/quote]

How can you know what all 32 teams are thinking regarding a player and where they have him ranked on their draft board? I'm sure one team will not have him ranked high on their draft board because of his percieved character issues. I really like Posey and think he's one of the best wr's coming out of draft, I would say if he was suspended for 10 games this season he would have a 1st round grade, 2nd at the least but know I think he will be a 3rd round pick at best.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1327331496' post='1091498']

How can you know what all 32 teams are thinking regarding a player and where they have him ranked on their draft board? I'm sure one team will not have him ranked high on their draft board because of his percieved character issues. I really like Posey and think he's one of the best wr's coming out of draft, I would say if he was suspended for 10 games this season he would have a 1st round grade, 2nd at the least but know I think he will be a 3rd round pick at best.
[/quote]

because what he did was pretty minor as far as NFL teams care. There's a real possibility that you'll see at least 2 players with far worse issues go in the top 20 of the draft. They aren't going to care about Posey taking money from a booster or trading autographs for tatoos.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327331888' post='1091499']

because what he did was pretty minor as far as NFL teams care. There's a real possibility that you'll see at least 2 players with far worse issues go in the top 20 of the draft. They aren't going to care about Posey taking money from a booster or trading autographs for tatoos.
[/quote]

Maybe not because those are things that occured because of a lack of money, which won't be a problem once he gets into the NFL...however I don't see him going before the 3rd round due to percieved character risk. But if he wasn't suspended I think he would have been a sure fire 1st or 2nd pick this year. He really should have entered the NFL last year, imo.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1327333019' post='1091500']

Maybe not because those are things that occured because of a lack of money, which won't be a problem once he gets into the NFL...however I don't see him going before the 3rd round due to percieved character risk. But if he wasn't suspended I think he would have been a sure fire 1st or 2nd pick this year. He really should have entered the NFL last year, imo.
[/quote]

I'm a posey fan, and even if he played the entire year I don't think there would have been a chance of him being a first round pick.

Him not being on the field his senior year will hurt his draft stock, but the reasons for his suspension won't. I think he'll go somewhere in the 3rd round with a solid next 3 months.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/seniorbowl"]seniorbowl[/url]Senior Bowl

Heaviest player is Cordy Glenn of [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Georgia"][s]#[/s][b]Georgia[/b][/url]. Weighed in at 346. [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23SeniorBowl"][s]#[/s][b]SeniorBowl[/b][/url]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/seniorbowl/status/161532725545795584"]8 minutes ago[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1327348634' post='1091571']
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/seniorbowl"]seniorbowl[/url]Senior Bowl

Heaviest player is Cordy Glenn of [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Georgia"][s]#[/s][b]Georgia[/b][/url]. Weighed in at 346. [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23SeniorBowl"][s]#[/s][b]SeniorBowl[/b][/url]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/seniorbowl/status/161532725545795584"]8 minutes ago[/url]
[/quote]

Bobbie Williams v 2.0. An upgrade.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1327350301' post='1091580']

We don't need a left tackle though.[/quote]

Actually, not sure if it's ever been discussed here on this board, but Whit is a much better fit at guard. He lacks the foot quickness and agility to be anything other than an average tackle.

So LT really is a huge need.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1327351751' post='1091584']
Actually, not sure if it's ever been discussed here on this board, but Whit is a much better fit at guard. He lacks the foot quickness and agility to be anything other than an average tackle.

So LT really is a huge need.
[/quote]

[img]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/27/128985709366515341.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1327350301' post='1091580']

We don't need a left tackle though.
[/quote]

So why do u want Cordy Glenn, he played tackle at UGA, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if take Glenn, because UGA had the heavist oline in both CFB and the NFL, do you know who was #2...that's right the Bengals.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1327352259' post='1091587']

So why do u want Cordy Glenn, he played tackle at UGA, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if take Glenn, because UGA had the heavist oline in both CFB and the NFL, do you know who was #2...that's right the Bengals.
[/quote]

Glenn played LT at UGa this year because he was their best O-lineman. Prior to this year he was a guard, and that is his best spot. Mike Adams has the tools to be a LT in the NFL.

And yes, I was aware of the line sizes. :)

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1327352547' post='1091589']

Glenn played LT at UGa this year because he was their best O-lineman. Prior to this year he was a guard, and that is his best spot. Mike Adams has the tools to be a LT in the NFL.

[/quote]

But he can still kick inside and play OG, let's say someone who drafts before us takes Glenn(which is a distinct possibility) what do you do then.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1327352656' post='1091591']

But he can still kick inside and play OG, let's say someone who drafts before us takes Glenn(which is a distinct possibility) what do you do then.
[/quote]

I'm not sure Mike Adams would be a good guard. He's pretty lean. Also don't think he's got any experience at it.

Further, I don't think putting a 6'7" lineman at guard in front of an, if he's lucky, 6'2" QB is a smart move at all.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1327352656' post='1091591']

[/quote]

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if after the Senior Bowl combine, and pro days Mike Adams works his way in to the top half of the first round.

If DeCastro and Glenn are both gone, take the BPA at a spot of need and hope Osemeli is there in 2 or Nix is there in 3 or 4.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1327352547' post='1091589']

Agree. Martin is built like a tank 509. 220 pounds and can catch and run up the middle I'm liking him more and more.
[/quote]

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1327349229' post='1091575']
Damn, Glenn and Osemeli have some long arms.
[/quote]

...they sure do! they have the kind of arm length/wingspan that you rarely see in guards, even to the point where their length would be exceptional for most left tackles. an 85" wingspan is just unheard of. i'm sure with all the weight that cordy carries, that was an asset allowing him to play left tackle this year.

[size=1]
[size=3]North Team practice notes from day one…[/size][/size]
[size=1]
[size=3][url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=ot"]Ohio State OT Mike Adams[/url] has a real presence about him. He’s a big kid with a long set of arms and when he shoots his hands inside on contact, he has the ability to control blocks and slide his feet through the play. However, the only time he gets himself into trouble is when he doesn’t extend his arms and looks to catch opposing lineman at the point. Nevertheless, the talent is there for this guy to be a top-20 pick.[/size][/size]
[color=#072055][size=1][indent=1][size=3][img]http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/8996796large.jpg[/img][color=#999999][right]ICON[/right][/color]Mike Adams looks the part of an NFL left tackle.[/size][/size][/color][/indent][size=1]
[size=3]On the other hand, I came away unimpressed with[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=cb"]Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard[/url]. He’s a compact kid who displays some natural click and close ability. However, he allows his cushion to be eaten up far too much in his drop and lacks much of a burst/second gear when asked to turn and run. He’s a guy who opposing receivers were able to routinely outpace today as he didn’t demonstrate the type of speed needed to run out of his transition vertically.

One of those receivers who were able to outpace Dennard was [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=wr"]Cal’s Marvin Jones[/url]. Jones had a solid practice Monday showcasing the ability to drop his pad level out of his breaks, get behind corners down the field and adjust to the football. He’s got some snap to his game as a route runner and looks like one of those mid-round type wide outs who can fill out a receiving core and make a roster as a rookie.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=ss"]Boise State safety George Iloka[/url] is a tall, long athlete with an athletic build and certainly looks the part in the deep half. He did a nice job Monday anticipating routes in cover one, showcasing a slight burst and covering some ground in the deep half. He still gets a bit leggy at times in his drop and when trying to re-direct. But, possesses some natural athleticism and was consistently putting himself in position to make plays.

In a pretty “blah” pass rushing class, [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=de"]Virginia DE Cam Johnson[/url] made the first move to gain some momentum Monday. He showcased a good get off burst, was able to reach the edge and displayed some suddenness when countering back inside. He had a pretty average senior season due to some injuries. However, he looked as healthy as I’ve seen him all year and is off to a good start this week.

Small school [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=wr"]wide out Brian Quick[/url] (Appalachian State) looked a bit overwhelmed in his first day of practice vs. the jump in competition. He isn’t a naturally explosive kid, takes a bit to get up to speed and doesn’t have the second gear to simply outpace corners vertically. Plus, he was leggy out of his breaks, didn’t generate much separation on sharply breaking routes and had at least three dropped passes that I counted. Now, obviously he’s a better player than his day one performance, but I still don’t see the guy as a legit top-100 prospect.

Watching [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=dt"]Washington DT Alameda Ta’amu[/url], it’s really impressive the kind of raw power he possesses when asked to simply overwhelm opposing lineman through contact. He also has a sneaky quick set of hands when trying to shed and can keep himself clean. However, he has a tough time keeping his pad level down through contact and far too often is easy to block because of it.

Finally, [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=olb"]Boise State DE/OLB Shea McClellin[/url] had some inconsistencies during 1on1 drills today. As was evidence on tape, he’s much more natural getting after the QB with his hand on the ground than standing up. He showcased the ability to turn the corner from a three-point stance on one occasion. But, on his next opportunity he got upright and lacked much suddenness on his counter when trying to create pressure as a stand up guy. He’s a talented kid with a “plus” motor, but it will be interesting to see how he develops rushing the passer from a two point stance as the week goes on.

[b]Follow me on Twitter:[/b] @[url="http://www.twitter.com/wesbunting"]WesBunting[/url][/size][/size]
[size=1]
[/size]
[size=1]
[size=3][url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-practice-notes-Day-1-4429.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-practice-notes-Day-1-4429.html[/url][/size][/size]

Archived