Senior Bowl Rosters, Practice and Game thread

Funny to read different takes by scouts on the same guy, but that's part of it, I guess.

On the DBs, I've seen CB Heyward play a few games and he looks like a player... And even though he's small, it sounds like Brandon Boykin is playing big this week. I think he and AJ are friends.

And I really like Antonio Allen as a safety candidate. Big play guy, has been a consistent performer at South Carolina. Good hitter and leader.

[b] [size=6]Senior Bowl follows lost senior year[/size][/b]

[b] [size=6]But suspension helped Posey grow as teammate[/size][/b]

MOBILE, ALA. — There may come a time when DeVier Posey goes down as the best scout team receiver in Ohio State history. Considering the year that he had, Posey would welcome that.

The former La Salle standout and Buckeye, who played in only three games last season, got an invitation to the Senior Bowl and through the first two days has made the most of his opportunity. He has run good routes and has made a couple nice catches for the North squad.

Though the last three games of Ohio State’s season showed that Posey had not lost a step, it is the interviews with scouts and coaches over the next four months about the two five-game suspensions from the NCAA for taking improper benefits – cash and tattoos for signed memorabilia, and being overpaid for a summer job – that might be more important.

“Everyone knows what happened. I'm still here. I'm still myself,” Posey said. “I'm still a good guy. I can't control what anyone thinks. I can just be DeVier.”

“You can't play around with those guys and give them fake answers. Some of the guys are former players, so they know what's going on. I'm not really ashamed of it because everyone knows. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'll be OK.”

In the three games he played for Ohio State, Posey had 12 receptions for 162 yards, an average of 13.5 yards per catch, and two touchdowns. He made a great one-handed grab against Penn State and had a 43-yard touchdown against Michigan.

Posey, who officially measured 6 foot-15/8 and 209 pounds here, admitted there was a time last season when he thought about declaring for the draft until he thought of his grandmother, and of a stat more impressive than the four Top 10 career marks in receiving he has at Ohio State: DeVier will be her 24th grandchild to graduate college when he receives his degree in communications this spring.

“That puts things in perspective and what is important,” he said. “I was going to make sure I left with my degree. I promised my mother I would come back and that's what I wanted to do.”

Even though Posey did not play in the first 10 games, he was part of practices three days a week as a member of the scout team. Posey went to Ohio State interim coach Luke Fickell before the season and said he wanted to play the part of the best opposing offensive player. So there were some weeks during practice when Posey was the scout team quarterback (imitating Nebraska’s Taylor Martinez) or receiver (like Illinois’ A.J. Jenkins).

“I learned how to serve, because when you go to an NFL camp you have to learn how to serve the team,” Posey said.

“Being on the scout team and helping the guys in the meeting room, it allowed me to learn the game and it humbled me as well. That helped me to grow up. I think I needed that going into this process and into the next level.”

Ohio State running back Dan “Boom” Herron, who was suspended for the first six games and also here this week, said that he noticed Posey’s maturity during the season.

Posey said his biggest strengths are being a student of the game and having big-play ability. He has displayed that during the first couple days, building a nice rapport with Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Posey is seen as a third- or fourth-round pick in early draft projections, but is trying to show his versatility this week. He has been fielding punts during special teams drills.

“He’s been doing a good job (on punts) and I asked him how come he didn’t do any of that Ohio State and he told me that they had a couple good returners there,” said Minnesota head coach Leslie Frazier, whose Vikings staff is coaching the North squad this week.

Posey is training in Florida as part of Cris Carter’s FAST program.

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120124/SPT02/301240130/Posey-makes-up-lost-time?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

[quote name='FulcherVulcher33' timestamp='1327467114' post='1091954']
We don't need to go down the project road again
[/quote]

of course, versatility is awful. Afterall, it's not like there's a team in the Super Bowl who regularly lines up a WR, and lately a TE, in the backfield at RB.

oh wait.

[quote name='FulcherVulcher33' timestamp='1327467932' post='1091958']
Ease back rookie,I'm totally calm you would know if I was excited lol,i understand them talking to people but I'm just stating with our limited ass scouting team they could be talking to people at positions we really need,not back up qb's on the first day
[/quote]

the Bengals have probably 15 people in Mobile this week looking at players. Spending a few minutes with any player isn't going to keep them from doing much. There's a crapton of time between now and the draft to find out about every single player in the draft.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1327468392' post='1091959']
[b]No to Polk [/b]n Dennard they are [b]not explosive enough athletes.[/b]
[/quote]

what makes you think that?

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1327476437' post='1091964']
Funny to read different takes by scouts on the same guy, but that's part of it, I guess.

On the DBs, I've seen CB Heyward play a few games and he looks like a player... And even though he's small, it sounds like Brandon Boykin is playing big this week. I think he and AJ are friends.

And I really like Antonio Allen as a safety candidate. Big play guy, has been a consistent performer at South Carolina. Good hitter and leader.
[/quote]

I haven't watched a bunch on Allen, but have liked what I've seen. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best safety in the class IMO.

[quote name='FulcherVulcher33' timestamp='1327477553' post='1091967']
Being a Georgia fan I watched boykin a lot,and he plays tough,way bigger than his actual size
[/quote]

I live in Georgia and I see alot of UGA football games, I totally agree. Until the Senior Bowl weigh in I never knew he was so short, he plays like he's 6'1 215 lbs and he's a ball hawk. He's a guy who I don't think will have a problem at the next level, regardless of his size. He is a playmaker and plays the game with no fear.

[size=6][b]Senior Bowl Practice Notes Through Day Two: Courtney Upshaw Rising[/b][/size]

AUTHOR: [url="http://nflmocks.com/author/sayrebedinger/"]Sayre Bedinger[/url] | IN: [url="http://nflmocks.com/category/2012-nfl-draft/"]2012 NFL Draft[/url]
[color=#666666][font=inherit]There are a lot of notes to get to from the Senior Bowl this week already after just two days of practice.[/font][/color][/indent][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]Gil Brandt says that Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill could be a top 10 pick, via SI.com’s Peter King. This is not unexpected news since guys like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker unexpectedly went as high as they did last year. Tannehill could be a hot prospect after Senior Bowl week.[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]There are scouts and GMs out there who think that age won’t be a huge factor in the decision to draft Brandon Weeden high. I have thought all along that it would be a big factor, but Weeden has been extremely impressive at practices already and it’s only two days in. If we’re analyzing objectively, he looks like a 2nd round pick at worst. Guys like Ryan Lownes are really high on Weeden, and are giving him a first round grade.[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]East WR Marvin McNutt (Iowa) is showing me exactly what I want to see. He has good hands and can really snatch the ball out of the air. He is really effective on short, underneath routes and on deep balls. His ability to go up and get the ball will make him an effective NFL player regardless of his 40 time.[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]WalterFootball.com is reporting that Ohio State OT Mike Adams is drawing a lot of interest from the Cleveland Browns. It’s still very early, but I really think Adams could be a good pick with the Browns’ second first rounder which they got from Atlanta (22nd overall).[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]I love what I have seen out of Courtney Upshaw. Size, quickness, hand placement, burst, effort–he is truly a five-tool player. If he’s not a top ten pick it will be a joke. He is an elite talent and is a future NFL star. Right now, he looks like a man among boys regardless if it’s the second practice or not, and I think he was ready for the NFL last year and has really turned up his game. He could dominate this year like Von Miller did last year.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]In case you wondered, in the last six years, no less than 10 players have been selected in the first round that played in the Senior Bowl. That streak should continue this year.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There is a lot of intrigue going around right now about Louisiana-Lafayette CB Dwight Bentley. He had a very good season and while he got off to a slow start to practice on Tuesday, he made some nice plays.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Bentley’s teammate, tight end Ladarius Green, looks like he’s solidly in the 2nd round mix after his senior season and displaying very nice skills, size, and athletic ability thus far at the Senior Bowl. He’s got a great frame and catches the ball away from it consistently. He adjusts really well to the ball and looks like he could have a really big impact as a receiver in the NFL.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Juron Criner made a sick one-handed catch in one-on-one drills today that drew the attention of, pretty much everyone. Criner has good size and if he can flash more of that kind of ability, he could really rise on our board.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Florida RB Chris Rainey took some reps at receiver on Tuesday and looked pretty good. I saw a comparison of Dexter McCluster thrown out there and that might be a pretty good one. Still early.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]I still think Russell Wilson is going to flourish in the NFL. He has the “it” factor. He is short but has big hands and can really spin the ball. Some have questioned his deep ball accuracy but that will come with time and when Wilson gets outside the pocket, he is deadly. He would have a top 5 grade from me if he were three inches taller.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]The South DL looks to be a big strength. Guys like Jaye Howard, Brandon Thompson, and Quinton Coples had good practices. Coples has long arms and definitely looks like a top 10 pick. He’s got good pass rush moves and could play any of the positions on the line in a given game.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram showed good quickness and ability to get to the quarterback. He had a very good session in 1 on 1′s and I think Mike Mayock made a good point that if he gets drafted into a system with a plan in place to use him in different slots on all three downs, he could be a very valuable first round selection.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There have been a lot of whispers that South CB Janoris Jenkins is quietly one of the best players at this event. He is showing dominance in man coverage and is looking like he’s really turned himself into a legit top 32 selection.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Mike Mayock says there are “at least” three first round picks on the South DL. Melvin Ingram (South Carolina), Courtney Upshaw (Alabama), and Quinton Coples (North Carolina). No surprises there.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Mike Mayock has Iowa State cornerback Leonard Johnson rated ahead of Alabama CB Dre’ Kirkpatrick. I have Johnson rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There have been some concerns about Alfonzo Dennard’s recovery speed. He likes to take a lot of risks but is a very sound player fundamentally and should be a solid first or second round pick for any team.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Michigan DL Mike Martin and Ohio State C Michael Brewster went at it at practice and it got a little chippy. Both guys really play hard and it was a fun battle to see.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Nebraska LB Lavonte David has great speed and quickness, and hits like a ton of bricks. In my opinion, he should be a first round pick but size is a question.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]I continue to hear only good things about Arizona State WR Gerrell Robinson, who is supplementing a breakout senior season with a good start to Senior Bowl week.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There have been concerns about dropped passes so far this week with Appalachian State WR Brian Quick. His body type really reminds me of Brandon Marshall and the drops won’t move my comparison anywhere.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Arkansas DE Jake Bequette is talking to a lot of 3-4 teams at the Senior Bowl. Very interesting.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list]
[url="http://nflmocks.com/2012/01/25/senior-bowl-practice-notes-through-day-two-courtney-upshaw-rising/"]http://nflmocks.com/...-upshaw-rising/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1327495320' post='1091977']
[b] [size=6]Senior Bowl follows lost senior year[/size][/b]

[b] [size=6]But suspension helped Posey grow as teammate[/size][/b]

MOBILE, ALA. — There may come a time when DeVier Posey goes down as the best scout team receiver in Ohio State history. Considering the year that he had, Posey would welcome that.

The former La Salle standout and Buckeye, who played in only three games last season, got an invitation to the Senior Bowl and through the first two days has made the most of his opportunity. He has run good routes and has made a couple nice catches for the North squad.

Though the last three games of Ohio State’s season showed that Posey had not lost a step, it is the interviews with scouts and coaches over the next four months about the two five-game suspensions from the NCAA for taking improper benefits – cash and tattoos for signed memorabilia, and being overpaid for a summer job – that might be more important.

“Everyone knows what happened. I'm still here. I'm still myself,” Posey said. “I'm still a good guy. I can't control what anyone thinks. I can just be DeVier.”

“You can't play around with those guys and give them fake answers. Some of the guys are former players, so they know what's going on. I'm not really ashamed of it because everyone knows. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'll be OK.”

In the three games he played for Ohio State, Posey had 12 receptions for 162 yards, an average of 13.5 yards per catch, and two touchdowns. He made a great one-handed grab against Penn State and had a 43-yard touchdown against Michigan.

Posey, who officially measured 6 foot-15/8 and 209 pounds here, admitted there was a time last season when he thought about declaring for the draft until he thought of his grandmother, and of a stat more impressive than the four Top 10 career marks in receiving he has at Ohio State: DeVier will be her 24th grandchild to graduate college when he receives his degree in communications this spring.

“That puts things in perspective and what is important,” he said. “I was going to make sure I left with my degree. I promised my mother I would come back and that's what I wanted to do.”

Even though Posey did not play in the first 10 games, he was part of practices three days a week as a member of the scout team. Posey went to Ohio State interim coach Luke Fickell before the season and said he wanted to play the part of the best opposing offensive player. So there were some weeks during practice when Posey was the scout team quarterback (imitating Nebraska’s Taylor Martinez) or receiver (like Illinois’ A.J. Jenkins).

“I learned how to serve, because when you go to an NFL camp you have to learn how to serve the team,” Posey said.

“Being on the scout team and helping the guys in the meeting room, it allowed me to learn the game and it humbled me as well. That helped me to grow up. I think I needed that going into this process and into the next level.”

Ohio State running back Dan “Boom” Herron, who was suspended for the first six games and also here this week, said that he noticed Posey’s maturity during the season.

Posey said his biggest strengths are being a student of the game and having big-play ability. He has displayed that during the first couple days, building a nice rapport with Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Posey is seen as a third- or fourth-round pick in early draft projections, but is trying to show his versatility this week. He has been fielding punts during special teams drills.

“He’s been doing a good job (on punts) and I asked him how come he didn’t do any of that Ohio State and he told me that they had a couple good returners there,” said Minnesota head coach Leslie Frazier, whose Vikings staff is coaching the North squad this week.

Posey is training in Florida as part of Cris Carter’s FAST program.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120124/SPT02/301240130/Posey-makes-up-lost-time?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals"]http://news.cincinna...ws|text|Bengals[/url]
[/quote]

Getting Posey in the 3rd would be a steal.

[b] [size=6]Senior Bowl notebook: Tuesday[/size][/b]

[size=4]Posted Jan. 24, 2012 @ 3:20 p.m. ET[/size]

[size=4]By PFW staff[/size]

[size=4][i]Updated at 6:46 p.m. ET, Tuesday, Jan. 24[/i][/size]

[size=4]MOBILE, Ala. — With the second day of practices at the Senior Bowl in the book, here are some of our observations:[/size]

[size=4][b]South practice observations from associate editor Kevin Fishbain[/b][/size]
[size=4]• During the running back vs. linebacker drills, the South's linebackers made some nice plays, especially the pair from Texas, Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Williams. UNC's Zach Brown, who is known for his speed, also made a couple nice plays on the ball. Acho's brother, Sam, was a media favorite here last year and had a pretty good rookie season with Arizona.[/size]

[size=4]• Florida's Chris Rainey caught my eye throughout the South's practice — how could he not, considering his blazing speed? Rainey had great cuts on his routes in the running backs vs. linebackers drill and then lined up in the slot later on in 7-on-7 drills. Rainey also caught a long pass down the sideline, which was one of the longest plays of the day. Rainey could get some looks as a change-of-pace back, especially if he keeps having success as a receiver.[/size]

[size=4]• Louisiana-Lafayette CB Dwight Bentley had some real nice plays on the ball and impressed Redskins DB coach Raheem Morris. Overall in the South practice, the defensive backs beat the receivers more often than not. With Janoris Jenkins and Brandon Boykin out there, the South's secondary should have an edge throughout the week. Vanderbilt's Casey Hayward also made some nice plays at corner. Morris, by the way, was far and away the most vocal and positive coach on the field today — no surprise there.[/size]

[size=4]• Arizona WR Juron Criner made the play of the afternoon with a one-handed catch, attracting the biggest reaction from the audience.[/size]

[size=4][b]South practice observations from senior editor Mike Wilkening[/b][/size]

[size=4]For Raheem Morris, staying in coaching was an easy decision.[/size]
[size=4]"I am a coach, man," Morris, the Redskins' new secondary coach, said Tuesday. "There's no sitting out in my game."[/size]
[size=4]Morris was fired as the Buccaneers' head coach in January after three seasons. He said the transition from head coach to position coach wasn't humbling.[/size]
[size=4]"I think that the National Football League, whether you're a head coach, whether you're a secondary coach, whether you're a coordinator, it's only 32 of you. And when you get an opportunity to be one of 32, it's awesome," he said.[/size]

[size=4]Morris' Washington connections have him excited about his new job.[/size]

[size=4]"It's about the people that you know, the people that you deal with," he said. "Coach (Mike) Shanahan, you can't be with a better program, can't be with better guys. I know (offensive coordinator) Kyle Shanahan, very close with those guys, very close with their management and (general manager and former Buccaneers GM) Bruce Allen. ... The stuff that (defensive coordinator Jim) Haslett's been doing for years, it's a very good defense that's worked for a long time with some of the 3-4 schemes."[/size]

[size=4]Would Morris welcome the opportunity to get another shot as a head coach?[/size]

[size=4]"Right now, I just want to do my job," he said. "I'll let that stuff play out the way it's supposed to play out." Should another opportunity arise, "hopefully it will be a good one, hopefully I can take advantage of it," he said.[/size]
[size=4]Additional South practice observations:[/size]

[size=4]• One of the more memorable plays from South practice was when Florida RB Chris Rainey, lined up at wide receiver, sprinted by North Florida CB Janoris Jenkins, his former Gators technique. "I know his technique, so I just beat him in the technique," Rainey said afterwards.[/size]

[size=4]• Alabama TE Brad Smelley had a sharp practice. He was quick, and he caught the ball well, with the highlight a diving snag.[/size]

[size=4]• Three defensive backs who caught my eye: Georgia CB Brandon Boykin, Louisiana-Lafayette CB Dwight Bentley and Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward.[/size]

[size=4][b]North practice observations from senior editor Mike Wilkening[/b][/size]
[size=4]• Ohio State C Mike Brewster was impressive in a pair of matchups with Michigan DT Mike Martin. Both reps were far more heated and intense than the typical one-on-one drills, which made for compelling viewing. Brewster showed finishing ability and a real tough streak Tuesday.[/size]

[size=4]• I did not study Boise State QB Kellen Moore as closely as I did on Monday, but what I saw, I liked, relative to his Day One play. I saw him make several accurate throws with the necessary zip.[/size]

[size=4]• Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead held his own in pass protection on Tuesday. "That's a drill that all running backs have to have in order to play this game, so I was looking forward to it," Pead said after practice. Pead said he would like to "bulk up" — "You don't really see too many 190-pound backs," he noted — but he was stout enough on Tuesday. I asked him about his lower-body strength, as he appears to have relatively skinny legs for a running back. "I'm a heavy squat guy back at school. I just can't show for it," he said, referring to his legs. "But I've got some strength behind me."[/size]

[size=4]• Arkansas State LB Demario Davis caught my eye both on special teams, when he recovered a punt fumbled by N.C. State WR T.J. Graham; and in one-on-one passing drills, where his speed stood out. I asked him for his go-to pass-rushing move. "Speed to power," he said. "They think I'm all speed, and then I hit them with a power move and come back into 'em. They dive, jumping back, and I'm able to get there."[/size]

[size=4]• Ohio State RB Dan Herron's pass protection will be an issue to watch. He did not fare well in position drills or in one-on-one matchups. Pass protection will be a vital skill for the 5-10, 205-pound Herron on the next level. Let's see if he makes some technical adjustments and shows improvement later in the week.[/size]

[size=4][b]North practice observations from associate editor Kevin Fishbain[/b][/size]
[size=4]• The North quarterbacks might as well be the "all-intangibles" team. You will hear more about the lack of size of Russell Wilson and Kellen Moore but that they make up for it with leadership. On the field, you can see why teams would be nervous about drafting one of them too early — Moore at times looks like a slot receiver. But in Tuesday's practice, Wilson was very impressive. He was accurate, consistent and had the best zip on his ball of the three quarterbacks. Moore has a funky delivery, and his balls tended to float a little more. I was hoping to see a little more from Kirk Cousins, who is the best of the North group.[/size]

[size=4]• Boise State's Doug Martin showed a good burst through the hole at running back, as well as on a kickoff return.[/size]

[size=4]• A lot of people talked about California WR Marvin Jones on Monday, and I can see why. He is very quick on his routes and made a couple of nice catches. He may have the best speed among the North's receivers.[/size]

[size=4]• The play of the morning practice went to Boise State S George Iloka, who made a diving interception in 11-on-11 drills. Iloka certainly looks the part (6-3, 216), and considering the priority of finding safeties to cover the emerging tight ends around the league, he can do a lot for his draft stock this week.[/size]

[size=4]• Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland spent almost 20 minutes talking to a small group of media members after practice. One of his more striking comments: "We need a quarterback that can get us over the hump." That was far from a vote of confidence in Matt Moore and confirms that Miami will look to make a big move this offseason to get a quarterback. I'll have more on Ireland's comments this evening.[/size]

[size=4][url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/senior-bowl-notebook-tuesday-2"]http://www.profootba...ebook-tuesday-2[/url][/size]

[b] [size=6]Washington's Polk trying to prove he's fast enough[/size][/b]

Posted Jan. 24, 2012 @ 10:11 p.m. ET
By Mike Wilkening

MOBILE, Ala. — Washington RB Chris Polk thinks he knows the primary concern NFL teams have about him, and it is not his ability to run through the defense.

"I'm trying to showcase the speed this week," he said after the North's first practice Monday. "Not too many people think I'm fast, so I've got to show that this week."

The 5-11, 222-pound Polk isn't the first prospect trying to change the perception of him to come through Mobile, and he will not be the last. College football's top all-star game is loaded with players who are one dashed doubt away from seeing their stock rise. For instance, Boise State QB Kellen Moore and Wisconsin QB Russell Wilson must prove they can overcome their lack of height by excelling in other areas.

The blessing of playing in the Senior Bowl is you have done enough to be here. The curse is there are 32 prospective employers worried about what you may not be able to do.

So it is for Chris Polk and the question of his speed.

"I don't know when it started, but I just know it's there," he said. "You never know what these guys think. It's just my job to set the record straight."

Polk could be the highest drafted runner of the Senior Bowl prospects, though Alabama's Trent Richardson and Virginia Tech's David Wilson, both juniors, rate higher. Richardson and Wilson both averaged 5.9 yards per carry in 2011, while Polk averaged 5.1. He could begin drawing consideration in Round Two.

Polk has a good number of traits that stamp him pro-ready.

A one-time star receiver in high school, he catches the ball very well. He also has an NFL-build. His productivity and reliability are positives, too. Polk had 857 touches in his final three seasons at Washington and ended his career as the school's second all-time leading rusher. Polk could have applied for a fifth year with Washington — he played in only two games in 2008 because of injuries — but he declined to so.

"I just didn't turn in the paperwork at the end of the year, because I knew I was leaving," he said. "It just happened that way."

That allowed him to be eligible for the Senior Bowl, where four days of practices and Saturday's game gives him an opportunity to show what he can do for NFL clubs while he hones his craft competing against other top prospects.

One area he's working to strengthen is his pass blocking. He has a tendency to drop his head as he engages the defender. However, Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier, who's coaching the North club, believes Polk has the ability to hold up against the pass rush.

"You have to be able to be more than a runner sometimes if you want to stay on the field," Frazier said. "He's shown, in this short time, he's capable of being able a guy who can stay in that backfield and maybe pick up some blitzing linebackers."

Frazier also likes what he has seen of Polk's physicality.

"You can see the burst that he has (when) he's going through the line," he said. "There were a couple times where the defense seemed like they had stopped his progress and he was able to run through some of those tackles, which is encouraging, because at our level, you need to be a guy who can get yards after contact. And that's one thing you can see that he has the ability to be able to do."

Polk's biggest strength, as he sees it?

"Heart. Hands down. Heart."

He's asked how that shows in his play.

"Break tackles."

Polk's mother, Edrena, is here to provide support. Her son's "stability," as she termed it, is one of his defining traits.

"He loves football," she said. "This is his dream. He's been consistent since Day One, when he was six."

And Chris Polk is consistent in trying to put this 'Is he fast enough?' talk to bed.

What will a successful week for him entail?

"I came out here and the perception they had of me, I proved wrong," he said.

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/washingtons-polk-trying-to-prove-hes-fast-enough"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/washingtons-polk-trying-to-prove-hes-fast-enough[/url]

[b] [size=6]Intriguing QB competition[/size][/b]

Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

MOBILE, Ala. -- There is still much tape to watch and many factors to consider, but as it stands right now the top of the 2012 quarterback class consists of Stanford's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28325/andrew-luck"]Andrew Luck[/url] and Baylor's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28590/robert-griffin"]Robert Griffin[/url] III in the top two spots, followed by a second tier of quarterbacks that elicits a lot of mixed opinions.

Included in that second tier are the likes of Texas A&M's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28393/ryan-tannehill"]Ryan Tannehill[/url], Arizona State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29000/brock-osweiler"]Brock Osweiler[/url], Arizona's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27468/nick-foles"]Nick Foles[/url] and Oklahoma State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28779/brandon-weeden"]Brandon Weeden[/url], who project somewhere between the middle of the first round and the end of the second.

With Tannehill on the shelf due to a foot injury and the junior Osweiler ineligible, Senior Bowl week has set up as a battle for draft position between Foles and Weeden, and the first two days of practice in Mobile have raised some interesting questions.

Plenty of NFL talent evaluators I talked to entering the week named Foles as a player to watch, but he has failed to blow scouts and front-office types away. He simply hasn't shown anything over the first two days here that we haven't already seen on tape, and he's fallen short of the performance level in some of his best games from 2011.

Foles has been a little less consistent with his accuracy, and as we've seen in the past he tends to do a lot of checking down and dumping off. That two-day practice showing alone isn't enough to change Foles' entire evaluation, but after watching things up close I've been surprised how much better Weeden's performance has been.

It's hard not to be impressed with Weeden. From the tempo of his drops to the quickness of his decisions to his consistent accuracy, especially beyond 10 yards, he is putting on exactly the kind of performance he needed. Weeden is proving that he is not a product of Oklahoma State's wide-open system and the talent of standout WR Justin Blackmon, that he can make all the throws and has a legitimate chance to be a starter in the NFL.

However, you can't dismiss the age issue with Weeden. The former minor league baseball player will be a 29-year-old rookie when training camp arrives, and the bottom line is that is a strike against him.

Should Weeden sit on the bench his first year before getting a chance, you're then looking at a second-year player and first-year starter who would be 30 years old. For some perspective, Eli Manning played the 2011 season as a 30-year-old.

That puts a ceiling on his potential and is a huge drawback for teams in terms of Weeden's value and the length of his career. It will be interesting to see just how much the issue affects his stock, especially if he continues to outperform Foles this week and separate himself from the rest of the second tier.

Again, two days is a very small sample, and even if Weeden outplays the strong-armed Foles the rest of the week it wouldn't necessarily mean Weeden is the better prospect. It would make for a much tougher decision, though.

If you asked me to decide between the two and I saw Weeden perform better on a level playing field with my own eyes, I would have to think hard about taking Foles ahead of him, even with the age issue as a consideration.

Things have set up perfectly for Weeden, and it's a fascinating situation given all the factors involved. I'm interested to see how things play out over the remainder of Senior Bowl week and what role all the questions -- about both quarterbacks -- play in where each comes off the board.

[b]Moore making his case, too[/b]
If you ranked the six Senior Bowl quarterbacks coming into the week based on their overall profiles, the list would look like this: Foles, Weeden, Michigan State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28010/kirk-cousins"]Kirk Cousins[/url], San Diego State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28260/ryan-lindley"]Ryan Lindley[/url], Boise State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28606/kellen-moore"]Kellen Moore[/url], Wisconsin's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28525/russell-wilson"]Russell Wilson[/url].

However, if you fell from the sky and saw only the first two days of practice, you'd have Moore at No. 3 on the list behind only Foles and Weeden.

Day 1 was not kind to Moore, who checked in at 5-foot-116 and 191 pounds and has to get the ball out quickly and put air under it downfield in order to make up for his lack or arm strength. That allows defensive backs to recover downfield and stood out as a negative, but Day 2 as much better for Moore.

His overall anticipation was outstanding and he's more consistently accurate than Cousins and Lindley, and Moore appears in control, decisive and understands where to go with the ball. The odds are stacked against him because of his size, but Moore is certainly helping his case as he attempts to solidify a late-round grade.

That's just one more reason the overall quarterback play continues to be one of the more intriguing storylines of the week.

[b] South team notebook[/b]

Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl
Scouts Inc.

As noted above, Weeden had the best day among the South quarterbacks. He was not as effective when rolling to his left as to his right, but when rolling right he was crisp and accurate.

He also made an impressive throw down the seam to Arkansas WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28546/joe-adams"]Joe Adams[/url], one that required the kind of timing that is hard to get down in an all-star setting. Weeden made a quick decision and was accurate with the ball, turning it into one of the better throws we saw today.

Foles continues to flash his talent, but his timing was off on Day 2. His passes were late and behind receivers at times, and he also seemed to be guiding the ball rather than letting it fly. That showed up on a throw from the left hash to the right sideline that died on him.

It wasn't a bad day for Foles -- at one point he made an accurate touch pass to a running back on a crossing route during the team period, allowing the back to pick up some yards after the catch -- but he just wasn't as clean or crisp as Weeden.

Finally, Lindley showed the ability to get through his progressions, but he needs to get off his first receiver more quickly. Lindley is also heavy-footed and not as mobile inside or outside the pocket as Weeden and Foles. And while he has as strong arm, Lindley continues to be erratic within the strike zone and misses it altogether at times.

[b]Linemen look good[/b]
• Florida State OT [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27672/zebrie-sanders"]Zebrie Sanders[/url] recovered from a tough start on Day 1, playing with better pad level and showing the ability to reset after initial contact. Sanders needs to add more overall strength and will never be a road grader in the running game, but he can protect the edge with his long arms and light feet, and he looked much better on Day 2.

• Illinois OT [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27796/jeff-allen"]Jeff Allen[/url] was knocked back a couple of times by North Carolina DE [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28090/quinton-coples"]Quinton Coples[/url] -- to be fair, though, Coples has owned everyone he's faced -- but Allen displayed good feet and ability to anchor in pass protection. He was good sliding his feet and using his hands to stay in front of pass-rushers.

• South Carolina DE [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28296/melvin-ingram"]Melvin Ingram[/url] continues to show an explosive first step, and impressive power and leverage to get into the pads of blockers and shock them back. Ingram also flashed a very good spin move when lined up inside, and with back-to-back solid performances he could be locking down a spot in the middle of the first round.

• Clemson DT [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27556/brandon-thompson"]Brandon Thompson[/url] is quietly having a good start to the week. Thompson has shown quickness and the ability to anchor against double-teams, and he has quick hands and more athleticism than you might think. He was disruptive during 9-on-7 running drills, collecting a couple of tackles for loss.

• Texas A&M DT Tony Jerod-Eddie flashed the strength and power to get good initial surge off the line. H's a limited athlete, but with is strong play at the point of attack Jerod-Eddie looks like a great fit as a 5-technique (DE) in a 3-4 scheme.

[b]Defensive backs stand out[/b]
• Vanderbilt CB [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28916/casey-hayward"]Casey Hayward[/url] is showing in Mobile what we saw from him during film study, which is the instinct to read quarterbacks and routes and make plays on balls in front of him. He's a tough player, but Hayward lacks ideal fluidity and will never be a great man-to-man cover corner.

• LSU SS [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27923/brandon-taylor"]Brandon Taylor[/url] is a bit slow transitioning out of his backpedal and will never be a great cover guy -- he could likely hold up well enough in zone coverage -- but even in this setting he's showing his toughness against the run. Taylor laid out Mississippi State RB [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28711/vick-ballard"]Vick Ballard[/url], putting his physical game on display and proving his worth in run support.

[b]WR Criner's impressive hands[/b]
Arizona WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27467/juron-criner"]Juron Criner[/url] had a hard time creating separation and didn't show much explosiveness out of breaks, but he caught everything thrown his way. Criner was excellent on Day 2 with his ability to extend his arms and snatch balls out of the air.

[b] Senior Bowl Stock Up[/b]

[b]Louisiana-Lafayette CB [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27936/dwight-bentley"]Dwight Bentley[/url][/b]
I have concerns about his deep speed and ability to turn and run with elite deep threats in the NFL, but Bentley's instincts and closing burst when playing off the line are impressive. He made a nice play at one point by reading a route, breaking on the ball and knocking the pass away from North Carolina WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28091/dwight-jones"]Dwight Jones[/url]. On another play, Bentley stayed with Texas AM WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28391/jeff-fuller"]Jeff Fuller[/url] in off coverage then made an excellent diving catch after the ball popped up in the air off Fuller's body. We came into the week knowing very little about Bentley, but his performance to this point will force scouts to take another look at what he can possibly to for their team.
[i]-- Steve Muench[/i]

[b]Georgia OL [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27703/cordy-glenn"]Cordy Glenn[/url][/b]
Glenn struggled when lined up at left tackle on Day 1, but he slid inside to guard on Day 2 and looked much more comfortable. He engulfed defenders at the point of attack with his massive frame (6-54, 346), took good angles to the second level and moved well in his pass sets. Glenn generally played with good pad level, though he did get rocked back at times when coming off too high. I'd like to see a bit more overall balance as well, but Glenn did a nice job using his length, power and short-area quickness to get movement. It was a nice bounce-back day for Glenn on Day 2.
[i]-- Kevin Weidl[/i]

[b] Senior Bowl Stock Down[/b]

[b]Texas A&M WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28391/jeff-fuller"]Jeff Fuller[/url][/b]
Fuller had a hard time sinking his hips and transitioning in and out of breaks. He also showed no ability to vary the speed and tempo of his routes. Fuller was simply too methodical and lacked burst, and his methodical movements telegraphed any double moves. He did make a nice catch over the middle during the team period, but Fuller also let some balls bounce off his chest. He has to be more consistent if he hopes to prove to teams he can be a solid possession-type receiver in the NFL.
[i]-- Steve Muench[/i]

[b]UAB OT [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=27449&year=2012"]Matt McCants[/url][/b]
McCants showed an overall lack of aggressiveness on Day 2, seeming to lack power, strength and urgency. He played too high at times and was often unable to anchor, and he struggled to move laterally and stay with defenders. McCants was often overpowered during one-on-one drills, appearing lethargic and not showing much in the way of toughness. He allowed too many defenders to get into his body, which allowed them to move him back and expose his questionable inline power base.
[i]-- Kevin Weidl[/i]

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/notebook?page=seniorbowlbuzz0124

[b] [size=6]Kellen Moore stands out at Senior Bowl [/size][/b]

January, 24, 2012

By Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl

The North team took the field for the first practice on Day 2 of Senior Bowl week, and the quarterbacks had good days.

Boise State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28606/kellen-moore"]Kellen Moore[/url] (5-foot-11¾ , 191 pounds) was the best of the bunch, despite his lack of ideal arm strength causing the ball to flutter at times in windy conditions. Moore was clearly comfortable with the offense and what he wanted to do, manipulating coverages with his eyes, working through his progressions and getting the ball out on time. And despite his somewhat weaker arm, Moore was more willing than his counterparts to attack the intermediate zones and beyond.

Wisconsin's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28525/russell-wilson"]Russell Wilson[/url] and Michigan State's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28010/kirk-cousins"]Kirk Cousins[/url], on the other hand, both showed the arm strength to cut through the wind. Wilson (5-10⅝, 203) started slowly with a lot of dump-offs and multiple pumps when looking for receivers, but he competed hard as the day went on and made some good throws to Ohio State's DeVier Posey during seven-on-seven drills.

Cousins (6-2¼, 202) throws a crisp ball that comes out of his hand well, and he displayed touch and arm strength on a nice ball deep down the left sideline that ended up being dropped by Iowa WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=27821&year=2012"]Marvin McNutt[/url].

However, Cousins needs to learn when to take something off the ball -- he zipped a ball to Missouri TE [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28721/michael-egnew"]Michael Egnew[/url] (6-5¼, 251) on a 5-yard out and made it hard for Egnew to bring the ball in -- and he also made a poor decision when rolling to his right and trying to hit his tight end working across the field.

That pass was picked off by Boise State S [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28605/george-iloka"]George Iloka[/url], and we'd like to see better decisions from Cousins as the week progresses.

[b] Passing game impressions[/b]

• It was an up-and-down day for Appalachian State WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27462/brian-quick"]Brian Quick[/url] (6-3½ , 222), who is one of the top small-school prospects on the board. Quick struggled to get off the line against the press coverage of Boston College CB [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28619/donnie-fletcher"]Donnie Fletcher[/url] (6-0¼, 201) and he had a hard time recovering in his routes. Quick did make some nice catches when extending his arms and plucking the ball out of the air, but he also dropped at least two passes.

• McNutt (6-2½ , 216) looked the most natural catching the ball despite his drop on the ball from Cousins, and he did a nice job beating the press coverage of Nebraska CB [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28041/alfonzo-dennard"]Alfonzo Dennard[/url] over top during one-on-one drills.

• Losing that drill against McNutt was part of a tough day for Dennard (5-10, 203), who on the very next play allowed too much cushion in off-man coverage and did not close quickly when the pass was completed in front of him. He did a good job staying with N.C. State WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=28999&year=2012"]T.J. Graham[/url] on a double move, but it was a disappointing day overall for a player looking to hold on to a late-first-round grade.

• Iloka (6-3⅝ , 222) does not have the most fluid hips, opening up slowly against Arizona State WR [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27477/gerell-robinson"]Gerell Robinson[/url] and allowing too much separation on breaks, but he was much better working against tight ends. He showed good ball skills on the interception of Cousins, showing the ability to make plays in coverage and moving well for his size.

[b] Iowa State duo stands out[/b]

Iowa State CB [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27826/leonard-johnson"]Leonard Johnson[/url] checked in at just 5-97 and 198 pounds, but he's competitive and knows how to use his hands to help mask his lack of size. He did not back down from bigger receivers, played with balance, showed good quickness and change-of-direction skills in space, and closed well when the ball was in the air.

It was also a good day for Cyclones OT/G [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28970/kelechi-osemele"]Kelechi Osemele[/url] (6-53, 333), who is not an elite athlete but is very aggressive and uses his length well. Osemele lined up at right tackle today and moved better in space than I anticipated, and with his size and demeanor he appears able to play right tackle at the next level.

[b] Ups and downs for linemen[/b]

• Ohio State OT [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28759/mike-adams"]Mike Adams[/url] (6-7, 323) looked natural in his movements, showing good athleticism and doing a good job climbing to the second level to cut off defenders. Once there, Adams was able to lock on and shuffle his feet to sustain blocks.

He over-set and was beaten by Virginia DE [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28922/cam-johnson"]Cam Johnson[/url] (6-36, 267) on an inside swim move at one point, but overall Adams made a good impression. As for Johnson, that swim move along with power, the ability to play with leverage and good hand use stood out.

• Things did not go as well for Adams' college teammate [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=28762&year=2012"]Mike Brewster[/url], who does not have a good power base or much lateral quickness. Brewster (6-4¼, 310) lined up at center and had trouble sinking his hips to anchor against inside rushers, and because he often played with his head down Brewster had trouble staying in front of defenders.

• Marshall DE [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27949/vinny-curry"]Vinny Curry[/url] (6-3, 265) isn't the most athletic prospect in terms of open-field quickness and bending the edge, but he is a strong player who flashed the ability to use power moves and violent hands to disrupt off the edge. His motor and effort were outstanding as well.

• Wisconsin C [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28514/kevin-zeitler"]Kevin Zeitler[/url] was up and down over the course of practice, but he was able to get into initial position and sustain blocks at times during one-on-ones and the team period. We also liked Zeitler's ability to recover against rushers. He did not panic and stayed within himself when he got off balance.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/7497915/2012-nfl-draft-day-2-good-qbs-senior-bowl

[size=6][b] Notes from Mobile[/b][/size]

[b]What I am seeing on the field at the Senior Bowl[/b]. [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/matt-bowen.html"]Matt Bowen[/url]

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html"]Click here[/url] to check out the NFP’s Draft Page.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Get-Sharp-Senior-Bowl-Day-2-Recap.html"]Click here[/url] to see the new Get Sharp video: Senior Bowl prospect breakdowns

Let’s take a look at my notes and observations from both practice sessions on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl. Here is what I am seeing on the field along with some talk from NFL scouts.

- There was a buzz after the South squad wrapped up practice yesterday afternoon because of the speed, tempo and hitting on the field. The LBs looked more athletic, DBs were competing in one-on-ones and inside run drill was a physical session. There was a noticeable difference between the two practice sessions on Tuesday.

- During one-on-one pass rush, both Alabama DE/ OLB Courtney Upshaw and UNC DE Quinton Coples stood out. With Upshaw, there is enormous power to his game but he also demonstrated the ability to use his hands (and multiple moves) to win. With Coples, we are [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-South-Practice-Report-Day-2.html"]looking at a legit edge rusher[/url]. Speed to turn the corner and athletic ability that isn’t matched by anyone on the field for his size (6-6, 281).

- Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins stands out on the North roster because of this arm strength compared to Boise State’s Kellen Moore and Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson. And talking with scouts, his stock may start to rise.

- This isn’t a strong WR class down here in Mobile, but what about Texas A&M’s Jeff Fuller? The 6-4 WR did show some ability to separate from DBs, plus he can run the 3-step game and intermediate route tree. The question I have: will he be able to win vs. NFL DB aligned in a press-position?

- Loved seeing the DBs on the South squad get up to the line of scrimmage and play press-coverage. And the one CB that consistently competed was Dwight Bentley from Louisiana-Lafayette. Doesn’t have ideal size (5-10, 176), but was physical with his initial punch and also drove downhill on the ball when playing from an off-man position. Keep an eye on him throughout the draft process.

- I asked an NFL scout yesterday to give me one name that continued to show up on the North roster and he told me Appalachian State WR Brian Quick. He has size (6-3, 222), length and body control.

- I talked about [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Five-players-to-watch-at-Senior-Bowl-practice-today.html"]Notre Dame SS Harrison Smith[/url] on Monday, but another safety to watch on the North roster is George Iloka from Bosie St. He is talll (6-3) for a middle of the field safety, displayed some range and took good angles to the ball on the skinny post/seam route. But with any free safety, we have to talk about coverage skills at the NFL level. Can he walk down over a slot, handle the TE on the 7 (corner) route, etc.?

- Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden throws a good ball. This was one of the questions I had leading up to this week because of the offensive system Okie State, however Weeden looked comfortable in the pocket and displayed nice touch on the deep ball.

- A better session for Oklahoma CB Jamell Fleming. He played with more confidence, challenged routes and brought a physical approach to his game in one-on-ones. From my perspective, he is the top CB on the North roster.

- Iowa WR Marvin McNutt was solid in one-on-ones and you could tell he was there to compete. To read more about it, check out [url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-North-Practice-Report-Day-2.html"]the breakdown from the NFP’s Wes Bunting[/url].

- LSU FS Brandon Taylor had the play of the day filling the alley and laying a clinic tape hit on RB Vick Ballard in the open field. Not surprising after watching the tackling technique from that LSU secondary all season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Notes-from-Mobile.html

[b] [size=6]Coples stands out in first day of padded Senior Bowl practices[/size][/b][list]
[*]By Bucky Brooks NFL.com
[*]Analyst
[*]Published: Jan. 24, 2012 at 09:20 p.m
[/list]

MOBILE, Ala. -- To get an accurate assessment of a prospect's pro potential, you must evaluate his performance in pads.

On the second day of [url="http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl"]Senior Bowl[/url] practice, Mike Shanahan and Leslie Frazier put their respective squads in pads and you could see the difference in pace and tempo. From the increased intensity in 9-on-7 drills to aggressive play of linebackers and defensive backs during 1-on-1 sessions, the practices at Ladd-Peebles Stadium were reminiscent of training camp workouts.

With plenty of time to evaluate some of the top prospects in the 2012 draft class in pro-like conditions, here are some of my observations from the day:

» North Carolina DE Quinton Coples has been the most dominant defender on either roster, and his spectacular performance has quelled some of the concerns about his lackadaisical play as a senior. Coples has abused blockers in 1-on-1 drills with his combination of strength, power and athleticism. He has shown the ability to put together a series of power moves in sequence, which makes him tough to block in isolated situations. While he still lacks the explosive burst that is typically displayed by elite rushers, his ability to collapse the pocket could make him a difficult block as a potential left defensive end or defensive tackle (three- or five-technique) in a 4-3.

» South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram flashes the speed and athleticism to become an immediate difference maker as a pro. At 6-foot-2, 276 pounds, he possesses cat-like quickness and burst. He blows past defenders on upfield rushes, but also shows a spin move that allows him to win to the inside. He kept blockers off balance with his wide array of moves, and few blockers were able to contain him during the 1-on-1 period. He wasn't nearly as effective in team drills, but his occasional flashes are so impressive that it is easy to envision him making a big impact as an edge player in an attacking scheme.

» Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward is making a strong case to be a solid Day 2 draft prospect. He has blanketed receivers in man coverage from press and "off" technique, and his superb instincts have resulted in several deflections in team drills. His competitiveness and toughness stood out in 1-on-1 drills, as he refused to concede completions without attempting to strip or poke the ball out after the catch. Even though his willingness to finish will go unnoticed by some evaluators, the emphasis on attacking the ball suggests he possesses the persistence and tenacity to thrive as a ball hawk as a pro.

» Louisiana-Lafayette CB Dwight "Bill" Bentley is quietly creating a buzz in scouting circles with his impressive ball skills and awareness. He has made several plays on the ball over the past two days, while displaying outstanding coverage discipline and focus. Bentley's leverage and body positioning were outstanding in 1-on-1 and 7-on-7 drills, and his overall consistency will encourage coaches to closely examine his game despite his diminutive stature.

» Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden will spark several debates in war rooms across the league, with his advanced age (28) and intriguing physical tools. He is one of the rare quarterbacks in college football capable of making every throw in the playbook, but scouts are concerned about his decisions and football IQ. He was plagued by turnovers during the regular season and most of those miscues resulted from poor reads from the pocket. Weeden has avoided those mistakes at the Senior Bowl, showing better accuracy and precision from the pocket. His superb ball placement and touch has earned high marks from scouts, with many viewing Weeden as the fourth-best quarterback on boards across the league.

» Appalachian State WR Brian Quick has been the talk of the town with his exceptional combination of size, speed and athleticism. He has blown away scouts with his natural talent, and his ability to hold his own against elite competition has coaches salivating about his potential. An NFC East position coach familiar with Quick proclaimed him the most impressive athlete at the position. An AFC South position coach said Quick is an outstanding prospect with the physical tools to be a special player in the league. With so much lofty praise being thrown around, it would not surprise me to see Quick go much higher than anticipated when draft day approaches.

» Ohio State OT Mike Adams is an intriguing prospect to keep an eye on during the run-up to the draft. He possesses franchise-caliber physical tools and his surprising athleticism makes him an interesting first-round possibility as a left tackle. His length and movement skills should allow him to fare well against athletic pass rushers. If he can continue to hold his own against quick pass rushers this week and test well at the [url="http://www.nfl.com/combine"]NFL Scouting Combine[/url] in February, he could be the fourth offensive tackle to come off the board on draft day.

» Notre Dame S Harrison Smith has garnered some attention as one of top safeties in Mobile. He has displayed better than anticipated movement skills and impressed coaches in attendance with his range and instincts. He certainly has the size, strength and toughness to play near the line of scrimmage, but his ability to play in space could make him an ideal fit as a free safety in some schemes.

[i]Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter [url="http://twitter.com/BuckyBrooks"]@BuckyBrooks[/url].[/i]

[url="http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/09000d5d8264cb6c/article/coples-stands-out-in-first-day-of-padded-senior-bowl-practices?module=HP11_cp"]http://www.nfl.com/s...?module=HP11_cp[/url]

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1327460678' post='1091915']

Wilson is a fumbler...no thanks
[/quote]

AP is a fumbler...do you not want him either?....Ive watched alot of David Wilson and I dont think he is going to have a big problem in the pro's with fumbling. He did have fumbles last year but when you watch the games some were his fault and some were just great plays by the defender getting right on the ball. Ill trade that for 4.3 speed, great vision, great acceleration and probably the best balance ive ever seen in a RB.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1327500935' post='1091999']
[size=6][b]Senior Bowl Practice Notes Through Day Two: Courtney Upshaw Rising[/b][/size]

AUTHOR: [url="http://nflmocks.com/author/sayrebedinger/"]Sayre Bedinger[/url] | IN: [url="http://nflmocks.com/category/2012-nfl-draft/"]2012 NFL Draft[/url]
[color=#666666][font=inherit]There are a lot of notes to get to from the Senior Bowl this week already after just two days of practice.[/font][/color][/indent][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]Gil Brandt says that Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill could be a top 10 pick, via SI.com’s Peter King. This is not unexpected news since guys like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker unexpectedly went as high as they did last year. Tannehill could be a hot prospect after Senior Bowl week.[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]There are scouts and GMs out there who think that age won’t be a huge factor in the decision to draft Brandon Weeden high. I have thought all along that it would be a big factor, but Weeden has been extremely impressive at practices already and it’s only two days in. If we’re analyzing objectively, he looks like a 2nd round pick at worst. Guys like Ryan Lownes are really high on Weeden, and are giving him a first round grade.[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]East WR Marvin McNutt (Iowa) is showing me exactly what I want to see. He has good hands and can really snatch the ball out of the air. He is really effective on short, underneath routes and on deep balls. His ability to go up and get the ball will make him an effective NFL player regardless of his 40 time.[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit]WalterFootball.com is reporting that Ohio State OT Mike Adams is drawing a lot of interest from the Cleveland Browns. It’s still very early, but I really think Adams could be a good pick with the Browns’ second first rounder which they got from Atlanta (22nd overall).[/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]I love what I have seen out of Courtney Upshaw. Size, quickness, hand placement, burst, effort–he is truly a five-tool player. If he’s not a top ten pick it will be a joke. He is an elite talent and is a future NFL star. Right now, he looks like a man among boys regardless if it’s the second practice or not, and I think he was ready for the NFL last year and has really turned up his game. He could dominate this year like Von Miller did last year.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]In case you wondered, in the last six years, no less than 10 players have been selected in the first round that played in the Senior Bowl. That streak should continue this year.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There is a lot of intrigue going around right now about Louisiana-Lafayette CB Dwight Bentley. He had a very good season and while he got off to a slow start to practice on Tuesday, he made some nice plays.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Bentley’s teammate, tight end Ladarius Green, looks like he’s solidly in the 2nd round mix after his senior season and displaying very nice skills, size, and athletic ability thus far at the Senior Bowl. He’s got a great frame and catches the ball away from it consistently. He adjusts really well to the ball and looks like he could have a really big impact as a receiver in the NFL.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Juron Criner made a sick one-handed catch in one-on-one drills today that drew the attention of, pretty much everyone. Criner has good size and if he can flash more of that kind of ability, he could really rise on our board.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Florida RB Chris Rainey took some reps at receiver on Tuesday and looked pretty good. I saw a comparison of Dexter McCluster thrown out there and that might be a pretty good one. Still early.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]I still think Russell Wilson is going to flourish in the NFL. He has the “it” factor. He is short but has big hands and can really spin the ball. Some have questioned his deep ball accuracy but that will come with time and when Wilson gets outside the pocket, he is deadly. He would have a top 5 grade from me if he were three inches taller.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]The South DL looks to be a big strength. Guys like Jaye Howard, Brandon Thompson, and Quinton Coples had good practices. Coples has long arms and definitely looks like a top 10 pick. He’s got good pass rush moves and could play any of the positions on the line in a given game.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram showed good quickness and ability to get to the quarterback. He had a very good session in 1 on 1′s and I think Mike Mayock made a good point that if he gets drafted into a system with a plan in place to use him in different slots on all three downs, he could be a very valuable first round selection.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There have been a lot of whispers that South CB Janoris Jenkins is quietly one of the best players at this event. He is showing dominance in man coverage and is looking like he’s really turned himself into a legit top 32 selection.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Mike Mayock says there are “at least” three first round picks on the South DL. Melvin Ingram (South Carolina), Courtney Upshaw (Alabama), and Quinton Coples (North Carolina). No surprises there.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Mike Mayock has Iowa State cornerback Leonard Johnson rated ahead of Alabama CB Dre’ Kirkpatrick. I have Johnson rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There have been some concerns about Alfonzo Dennard’s recovery speed. He likes to take a lot of risks but is a very sound player fundamentally and should be a solid first or second round pick for any team.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Michigan DL Mike Martin and Ohio State C Michael Brewster went at it at practice and it got a little chippy. Both guys really play hard and it was a fun battle to see.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Nebraska LB Lavonte David has great speed and quickness, and hits like a ton of bricks. In my opinion, he should be a first round pick but size is a question.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]I continue to hear only good things about Arizona State WR Gerrell Robinson, who is supplementing a breakout senior season with a good start to Senior Bowl week.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]There have been concerns about dropped passes so far this week with Appalachian State WR Brian Quick. His body type really reminds me of Brandon Marshall and the drops won’t move my comparison anywhere.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#666666][font=inherit][font=inherit][font=inherit]Arkansas DE Jake Bequette is talking to a lot of 3-4 teams at the Senior Bowl. Very interesting.[/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/list]
[url="http://nflmocks.com/2012/01/25/senior-bowl-practice-notes-through-day-two-courtney-upshaw-rising/"]http://nflmocks.com/...-upshaw-rising/[/url]

[/quote]

From all of the evaluations of Dennard, a guy alot of mock drafts have the Bengals selecting in the first round, I don't want any parts of him in the first two days of the draft. He seems like a guy who is physical but slow, which means tons of PI penalties. Especially considering Zim likes to play man to man coverage, I can see Dennard getting beat early and trying to compensate by getting physical with wr, resulting in a PI call.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/WesBunting"]WesBunting[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Wesley Bunting[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23BoiseState"][s]#[/s][b]BoiseState[/b][/url] FS George Iloka has the size/quickness to handle the mismatch TE's in the NFL, looks like No. 2 safety in [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23NFLDRAFT"][s]#[/s][b]NFLDRAFT[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23SeniorBowl"][s][b]#[/b][/s][b][b]SeniorBowl[/b][/b][/url][/font]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/WesBunting/status/162184331182350338"]8 minutes ago [/url][size=2][url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]

Mike Adams is going to be a climber. He was one of, if not the top OT in the nation coming out of HS, but it didn't click for him until his junior year at OSU. Had he played all of last year I think he would be up there with Reif and Kalil.

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1327503190' post='1092015']

AP is a fumbler...do you not want him either?....Ive watched alot of David Wilson and I dont think he is going to have a big problem in the pro's with fumbling. He did have fumbles last year but when you watch the games some were his fault and some were just great plays by the defender getting right on the ball. Ill trade that for 4.3 speed, great vision, great acceleration and probably the best balance ive ever seen in a RB.
[/quote]

Wilson is not even in the same zip code as AP as a prospect....so yeah I'll pass on a second day prospect that has trouble holding onto the football.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1327505110' post='1092022']

Wilson is not even in the same zip code as AP as a prospect....so yeah I'll pass on a second day prospect that has trouble holding onto the football.
[/quote]

I didnt say he was...I said AP is a fumbler. David Wilson will be a 1st rounder...Im not really sure you have watched him that much. You may have read an article here or there and watched 1 youtube clip. We'll see where David Wilson is in 3 years. Im betting he will be one of the best backs in the NFL at that time.

Yeah we'll see where Wilson is in 3 yrs....looking up at Doug Martin and Trent Richardson in the stat column I'm sure.

I can almost guarantee you that David Wilson will not be a first rd pick but whatever opinions are like assholes ya know.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1327504783' post='1092021']
Mike Adams is going to be a climber. He was one of, if not the top OT in the nation coming out of HS, but it didn't click for him until his junior year at OSU. Had he played all of last year I think he would be up there with Reif and Kalil.
[/quote]

I'm starting to wonder if it would be a good idea to grab him at 17 (assuming he's there) to play Right Tackle and kick Andre inside to RG. I wouldn't be upset at all with an O-Line that looked like this: Whit - Boling - Cook - Smith - Adams. I think he could hang another 10 or 15 lbs. on his frame once he gets to the NFL and he'd be just slightly bigger than Whit.

Random stuff:

As for Weeden - the Browns should really look at trading down a little with their 2nd pick and getting him at the bottom of the 1st / top of the 2nd. They don't have to jump all over RGIII and mortgage their future - they could grab a guy like Mo. Claiborne (god I hope not) and get Weeden plus a good receiver or back that drops to the 2nd round (someone has to slide out of the first). Weeden can jump start their offense by being the QB of 'now' and buy them another 4 or 5 years to get a 2nd QB of the future sometime in the next few years.

I wonder if the Bengals will be interested in Iloka in the 2nd (not sure yet how soon he'll come off the boards). He fits what they're trying to bring in for safety (see Mays, Taylor and Sands, Robert) and lord knows they need to improve back there. They've had problems covering TEs for years now and he might be able to help out there.

Also starting to wonder if it's better to wait on getting a WR like Adams or Jairius Wrigth instead of going after someone early like Kendal Wright. Shipley's injury history still concerns me and getting another solid contributor from the slot wouldn't upset me at all. If they lose both Caldwell and Simpson for whatever reasons, then they're going to need a couple of new receivers anyways. Maybe get the #2 receiver from FA and a smaller, speedy receiver that can push Tate for return duties as well as manning the slot could be ideal.

Coples is the one player I'd trade up to get if he starts to slide at all. If he makes it to the teens, I'd be calling teams and offering #17 plus the 3rd round pick to move up and get him. Maybe even #17 and and former 1st round pick Keith Rivers. :good3: It'd be fantastic to have him opposite Dunlap with Johnson backing him up.

If they're going to platoon backs this year, then I think Scott + Pead can get the job done. Scott has been slowly morphing into a carbon-copy of Benson anyways, so they might as well use him for the year and replace him next year too. There's going to be a lot of good backs that are available next year too.

Nigel Bradham, Audie Cole and Emmanuel Acho are all linebackers I'd like to see them target. I think they could all be useful for different reasons if only for depth / special teams.

Archived