Ranking the RB's

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Updating my preferences: [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Richardson[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Polk[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Martin[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. Miller [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. James [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Wilson[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. Herron[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Pead[/font][/color]

I honestly think Polk is nothing more than a mid-rd developmental guy at best, I'll be shocked if he comes off the board in the top 100. He catches the ball well, but he runs so upright I don't see how he'll ever make his mark in the NFL. To me, he's a very poor mans DeMarco Murray without the wiggle. Murray was a 3rd rd pick FWIW.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1334437202' post='1118493']
I honestly think Polk is nothing more than a mid-rd developmental guy at best, I'll be shocked if he comes off the board in the top 100. He catches the ball well, but he runs so upright I don't see how he'll ever make his mark in the NFL. To me, he's a very poor mans DeMarco Murray without the wiggle. Murray was a 3rd rd pick FWIW.
[/quote]

I'm not super informed on Polk as I don't watch a lot of west coast college FB, but I think he's a bit better than you're giving him credit for. And the big thing he has over Murray is durability. Polk never missed a game in college and Murray was hurt all the time (and got hurt after a handful of games as a rookie).

I think late 2nd/early 3rd at worst for Polk. He could be scary good on a team like GB in the late 2nd and I'm sure a team like STL would love him at the top of the 3rd (if not earlier).

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1334437800' post='1118495']

I'm not super informed on Polk as I don't watch a lot of west coast college FB, but I think he's a bit better than you're giving him credit for. And the big thing he has over Murray is durability. Polk never missed a game in college and Murray was hurt all the time (and got hurt after a handful of games as a rookie).

I think late 2nd/early 3rd at worst for Polk. He could be scary good on a team like GB in the late 2nd and I'm sure a team like STL would love him at the top of the 3rd (if not earlier).
[/quote]

you very well might be right, but I think he's more like a 4th-5th rd guy. Like I said, I'll be shocked if he's one of the first 100 off the board. Just my opinion.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1334438177' post='1118496']

you very well might be right, but like I said, if he gets in the top 100 I'll be shocked. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Murray was only a 3rd round pick because of his injury history. He was a first rounder based on talent.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334438260' post='1118497']

Murray was only a 3rd round pick because of his injury history. He was a first rounder based on talent.
[/quote]

I understand, but IMO, Polk is nowhere near Murray in talent.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334438260' post='1118497']

Murray was only a 3rd round pick because of his injury history. He was a first rounder based on talent.[/quote]

X2 Murray is faster and an inch or two taller, and while Polk is a good receiver, IMO he's not Murray, who lined up out wide sometimes at OU because his pass catching skills were so good. Plus, from what I've seen of Polk, he doesn't have the shake that Murray has.

I still like him, and think he'd be a nice add to the WCO with his pass catching skills, and his ability to run inside and outside. He's not a homerun hitter, though, like Miller or Wilson with their speed.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334439621' post='1118500']

I'd certainly agree that Murray is more talented, but you can't just flat out ignore WHY he dropped to the 3rd round.
[/quote]

Oh I know, I guess my point was, even an injury-prone Murray in the 3rd beats a healthy Polk. He might catch a few passes in the NFL but I don't think he'll ever be much of a threat as a runner. I just don't see the talent in the kid.

[b] [size=6]NFL Draft board: Running backs[/size][/b]

[b] Position analysis[/b]

After oscillating up and down the draft board early in the process, Trent Richardson has settled in as a Top 5 pick. However he’s the only back who is considered to be a first-round lock. There could be another back that finds his way late into the first round but for the most part there are going to be plenty of value picks in the second through fourth rounds. Depending on what style of runner a team wants, they should be able to find it.
[b] Grading the class[/b]

NFL Draft Scout likes this year’s group, giving it an overall grade of a B-plus. Their breakdown – Elite Players: B-plus, Top 100 Potential: A-minus, Mid-Round Talent: B-plus, Late-Round Talent: B

[b] Top Five[/b]

[b]1. Trent Richardson (Alabama, 5-9, 227):[/b] Definitely is a workhorse back and gets stronger as the game goes along. He is not only a great runner but has shown great ability catching the ball out of the backfield. Doesn’t have a fumble in his last 500 touches.

[b]2. Doug Martin (Boise State, 5-9, 220):[/b] More of a physical runner who can quickly find an opening and has the quickness to get a big gain. He’s also one of those backs that will not go down on first contact.

[b]3. David Wilson (Virginia Tech, 5-10, 205):[/b] When it comes to athleticism, Wilson could be the best of the top five. Has great vision and quickness but his biggest problem is ball security with costly turnovers at the wrong time.

[b]4. Lamar Miller, (Miami (Fla.), 5-11, 214):[/b] He’s not exactly a workhorse back, but out of all the backs in this class, he is the most likely to break a game open. Biggest knock on him right now is he a little too one-dimensional.

[b]5. Isaiah Pead (Cincinnati, 5-10, 198):[/b] Still needs to prove he can be an every-down back in the league, but with his speed, ability to improve in blocking and the added dimension he has as a returner, he should be gone by the fourth round.

[b]Best of the rest:[/b] LaMichael James (Oregon, 5-8, 195), Chris Polk (Washington, 5-10, 215), Robert Turbin (Utah State, 5-10, 222), Bernard Pierce (Temple, 6-0, 218), Ronnie Hillman (San Diego State, 5-9, 200).

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120414/SPT02/304140078/NFL-Draft-board-Running-backs?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|

Archived