Ranking the RB's

[quote name='BengalsCat' timestamp='1328275176' post='1093801']

dude i really really hate alabama but trent is a special back. Watching him play in the sec is something else. The dude just breaks tackles and moves with such fucking power its unbelievable. I really hope he slips I would love to see this guy in stripes
[/quote]

Agree 100%. Mark Ingram was a damned good back, but watching him and Richardson run behind the same O-line you could just tell that Trent was better. I even said it here on these boards last year when Ingram won the Heisman.

Richardson is a class above the other backs in this draft. I know workout numbers don't alwasy tell how great a player will be, but there is no way that being able to squat 600 lbs doesn't help a RB who is trying to drive a pile of tacklers forward. Richardson runs like a bull, but he also has 4.4 speed.

[quote name='BengalsCat' timestamp='1328275176' post='1093801']

dude i really really hate alabama but trent is a special back. Watching him play in the sec is something else. The dude just breaks tackles and moves with such fucking power its unbelievable. I really hope he slips I would love to see this guy in stripes
[/quote]
Yeah. No other back in the draft is on his level. His size/speed/elusiveness/vision is something we haven't seen since AP. Not saying they will be the same back, but both were just bulls coming out of college.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1328289568' post='1093848']

Agree 100%. Mark Ingram was a damned good back, but watching him and Richardson run behind the same O-line you could just tell that Trent was better. I even said it here on these boards last year when Ingram won the Heisman.

Richardson is a class above the other backs in this draft. I know workout numbers don't alwasy tell how great a player will be, but there is no way that being able to squat 600 lbs doesn't help a RB who is trying to drive a pile of tacklers forward. Richardson runs like a bull, but he also has 4.4 speed.
[/quote]

I think that AD was even better than TRich coming out of college--Peterson was a near consensus top 10 pick, with no doubt that he would go then. Dude ran a 4.39 or something like that at the combine, and with his strength and lateral cutting ability, it made him one of the best prospects OVERALL for the last decade. I love the way he runs--and the bull analogy is perfect. He run angry, like he's trying to get back at the D for something they did to him.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' timestamp='1328273621' post='1093795']

Rainey is 5'9" 174 lbs. A 174 lbs RB probably wouldn't last 5 carries in the AFC North. He'd be crushed. Maybe return punts
or play slot receiver.
[/quote]
I don't get this logic and i never have.
Aren't the collisions on ST far more violent? wouldn't he get "crushed" returning kicks, too?
Last year, the man had 24 combined carries vs LSU and Bama in back-to-back weeks. he was ok. Never had a huge work load in college and has world class speed. Can catch out of the backfield, play some WR, return punts and kicks and has 6 career blocked punts. Sounds like a perfect change of pace back/ teams Ace, to me

[quote name='NYbengals' timestamp='1328296660' post='1093887']
I don't get this logic and i never have.
Aren't the collisions on ST far more violent? wouldn't he get "crushed" returning kicks, too?
Last year, the man had 24 combined carries vs LSU and Bama in back-to-back weeks. he was ok. Never had a huge work load in college and has world class speed. Can catch out of the backfield, play some WR, return punts and kicks and has 6 career blocked punts. Sounds like a perfect change of pace back/ teams Ace, to me
[/quote]

Even if each ST play is somewhat more violent, there are a lot more regular plays than special teams plays in each game.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1328298593' post='1093895']

Even if each ST play is somewhat more violent, there are a lot more regular plays than special teams plays in each game.
[/quote]

Eric Metcalf did pretty well in years in the AFC North. In fact he was a Bengal killer at 5'10" 190 lbs.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1328298593' post='1093895']

[/quote]

he doesn't have to carry the ball 20 times a game.

Dexter McCluster (165 lbs) is even smaller than Rainy and he held up last year gaining over 500 yards rushing for the Chiefs to go with 50 reeptions.

And Rainey is faster than McCluster. Jeff Demps holds the UNited States high school record in the 100 m dash and when he got to florida Rainey beat him in a 40 yd dsash. Rainey is just ridiculous fast.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1328301045' post='1093901']

he doesn't have to carry the ball 20 times a game.

Dexter McCluster (165 lbs) is even smaller than Rainy and he held up last year gaining over 500 yards rushing for the Chiefs to go with 50 reeptions.

And Rainey is faster than McCluster. Jeff Demps holds the UNited States high school record in the 100 m dash and when he got to florida Rainey beat him in a 40 yd dsash. Rainey is just ridiculous fast.
[/quote]
exactly. if he can hold up to 5 kick returns a game, he can hold up to 5-10 touches on O a game.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1327543221' post='1092232']
[b]1181, you need to add blocking as a criterion.[/b] Herron, reportedly, has been getting his ass kicked in pass pro down in Mobile. On TV, I saw him do the matador in a one on one with a LBer during yesterday's practice. If he can't pass block, he won't play in the NFL.

That said, from what I've seen (to this point), I'd go with:

Wilson
Martin
Miller
Pead
Polk
James
Herron
[/quote]

going back to looking at blocking now. So far I'd say that miller and polk are at least willing and able blockers. Tough to evaluate too much or rank them much. You're talking about different systems. For example Polk goes out as a receiver more than he stays in to block, mainly because he's such an adept receiver.

Not to pump Polk anymore, but caught some great receptions out of the backfield in this video. It's a highlight reel for his QB, but watch it just keying in on the RB play. A number of receptions by Polk including at least 4 TD's (from 2011 alone).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsyoezN9aM[/media]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327539258' post='1092211']

[b]Preference[/b]

(this is almost 1a and 1b for me)

1. Polk (late first round pick, trade down from #21)
2. Martin (late first round pick, trade down from #21)
3. Wilson (late first round pick, trade down from #21)
4. Miller (2nd round)
5. Pead (3rd round)
6. Herron (3rd round)
[/quote]

post combine and all-star games here's how I'd put them and others:

1 Trent Richardson (obviously)
2. Chris Polk/Doug Martin (both do certain things better than the other, can't go wrong with either.)
4. David Wilson (fast and explosive)
5. Bernard Pierce (reminds me of a bigger Jamaal Charles)
6. Lamar Miller (great top end speed but little wiggle, should break more tackles for his size)
7. Terrance Ganaway (perfect AFC North back)
8. Isaiah Pead (speed and agility, but I think he's destined to be a change of pace back, not a starter)
9. Tauren Poole (I just get a good feeling about him when I watch him on tape.
10. Dan Herron (imo a slightly better mike hart can give you quality starting snaps, but won't be a stud)
11. Robert Turbin (solid and capable, but just doesn't wow you on tape)

Combine doesn't change much for me
1. Trent Richardson, Alabama - Top 15
2. David Wilson, Virginia Tech - Late 1st
3. Lamar Miller, Miami - Late 1st
4. Doug Martin, Boise State - 2nd round
5. Chris Polk, Washington - 2nd-3rd round
6. Isiah Pead, Cincinnati - 3rd round
7. Lamichael James, Oregon - 3rd round
8. Cyrus Gray, Texas A&M - 3rd-4th round
9. Bernard Pierce, Temple - 3rd-4th round
10. Robert Turpin, Utah State - 3rd-4th round

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1330317309' post='1099580']

post combine and all-star games here's how I'd put them and others:

1 Trent Richardson (obviously)
2. Chris Polk/Doug Martin (both do certain things better than the other, can't go wrong with either.)
4. David Wilson (fast and explosive)
5. Bernard Pierce (reminds me of a bigger Jamaal Charles)
6. Lamar Miller (great top end speed but little wiggle, should break more tackles for his size)
7. Terrance Ganaway (perfect AFC North back)
8. Isaiah Pead (speed and agility, but I think he's destined to be a change of pace back, not a starter)
9. Tauren Poole (I just get a good feeling about him when I watch him on tape.
10. Dan Herron (imo a slightly better mike hart can give you quality starting snaps, but won't be a stud)
11. Robert Turbin (solid and capable, but just doesn't wow you on tape)
[/quote]

forgot LaMichael James who'd I'd put in the same situation as Isaiah Pead (not a feature back, though has better size than pead). I'd probably put him at #8 just ahead of pead.

watching more video, warming up to James. Still not sure he could be a starting back, but is showing better power than I expected and has a compact size at 5'8" 194. I think getting over 200 would help him as far as being powerful/durable enough to be a starter. doesn't get asked to be a receiver as much as I expected, but is capable. Wonder how switching from a zone read to pro style offense might slow his development.

I can't believe Ronnie Hillman isn't getting any love here as far as the smaller backs go. He's bigger than Pead and James and just as quick. He was the whole offense at SD St, defenses had to gear themselves to stop him and he still had over 1700 yds and 19tds. I'm tellin y'all he's gonna be a bigtime sleeper for someone.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1330356835' post='1099641']
I can't believe Ronnie Hillman isn't getting any love here as far as the smaller backs go. He's bigger than Pead and James and just as quick. He was the whole offense at SD St, defenses had to gear themselves to stop him and he still had over 1700 yds and 19tds. I'm tellin y'all he's gonna be a bigtime sleeper for someone.
[/quote]

I mentioned him awhile back. Like him too but might also fall into that "not a starting back" situation.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1330358145' post='1099648']
Turbin will be the best RB out of this class.
[/quote]

Not sure I would go that far. But if he's there in the 3rd round I think it would be one of the better values in the draft.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1330356835' post='1099641']
[/quote]

I'm a fan of Hillman too.

Archived