Ranking the RB's

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328110702' post='1093450']

yes. And if by chance I don't, I happily take my extra 2nd rounder and take one of the other backs.

We all have guys we prefer and there are skills some do better than others, but there's not a big difference between backs 2-5 in this draft.

I'd take Wilson (or polk, or even miller) and a 2nd round pick over Martin every day of the week and twice on draft day.
[/quote]

really...I think Martin is special enough and is a better fit than the other guys that he would warrant a first round pick. I feel like you have to target specific guys and go after them, whether it be free agency or the draft.

I guess we will see how this all plays out, I'm excited.... :gobengals:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328110702' post='1093450']

yes. And if by chance I don't, I happily take my extra 2nd rounder and take one of the other backs.

We all have guys we prefer and there are skills some do better than others, but there's not a big difference between backs 2-5 in this draft.

I'd take Wilson (or polk, or even miller) and a 2nd round pick over Martin every day of the week and twice on draft day.
[/quote]

Agreed. If TR drops to 17, I think he's a lock, but I think there are pros and cons to all the rest. I, however, don't care if they pick the guy they like earlier than expected, as long as it's the guy that Gruden wants. At that point, he would be the BPA in the Bengal's eyes.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1328111519' post='1093458']

really...I think Martin is special enough and is a better fit than the other guys that he would warrant a first round pick. [b]I feel like you have to target specific guys and go after them, whether it be free agency or the draft.[/b]

I guess we will see how this all plays out, I'm excited.... :gobengals:
[/quote]

I agree with free agency. With the draft though, its a fluid process and you can't just target players and ignore what it takes to get them, and what other options they are.

Look at the Falcons. they gave up 2firsts, a 2nd, a4th, and a 6th for julio jones, and got no further in the playoffs than they did the year before, all the while ignoring holes on the team because they thought one player would get them over the hump.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328111700' post='1093462']

Look at the Falcons. they gave up 2firsts, a 2nd, a4th, and a 6th for julio jones, and got no further in the playoffs than they did the year before, all the while ignoring holes on the team because [b]they thought one player would get them over the hump.[/b]

[/quote]

Maybe he would have...and Bratkowski is the reason for the non-success on the hump.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328111700' post='1093462']

I agree with free agency. With the draft though, its a fluid process and you can't just target players and ignore what it takes to get them, and what other options they are.

Look at the Falcons. they gave up 2firsts, a 2nd, a4th, and a 6th for julio jones, and got no further in the playoffs than they did the year before, all the while ignoring holes on the team because they thought one player would get them over the hump.
[/quote]

yeah I live in Atl and know all about how Dimitroff screwed that up, not only do they not have any picks to help solidify their oline and defense they have a ton of starters who are FA and not enough cap space to sign them and supplement the picks they lost in the draft day trade.

I feel there are only really two guys who can be a complete 3 down back in the NFL coming out in the draft, Richardson and Martin. The rest are situational guys who I believe either can't carry the ball 20-25 times a game for 16 games without getting hurt or just don't have the skill set to be a complete back in the NFL. So if Richardson is off the table,then Martin has to be your guy.

You can risk trying to get him in the 2nd, but if he's gone by the time you pick in the second round you will be back where you started, looking for a complete rb to plug into your offense. Also Martin seems like a low risk, high reward pick @ #21. Sure some may say you reached, but look at the draft in which Ray Rice came out, he went #55 overall, I'm sure if you had to do it all over again he would be a top 10 maybe top 5 pick. Hell we took two guys who could very well not on the team next year, Rivers and Simpson, before Rice was selected.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1328113414' post='1093475']

yeah I live in Atl and know all about how Dimitroff screwed that up, not only do they not have any picks to help solidify their oline and defense they have a ton of starters who are FA and not enough cap space to sign them and supplement the picks they lost in the draft day trade.

I feel there are only really two guys who can be a complete 3 down back in the NFL coming out in the draft, Richardson and Martin. The rest are situational guys who I believe either can't carry the ball 20-25 times a game for 16 games without getting hurt or just don't have the skill set to be a complete back in the NFL. So if Richardson is off the table,then Martin has to be your guy.

[b]You can risk trying to get him in the 2nd, but if he's gone by the time you pick in the second round you will be back where you started, looking for a complete rb to plug into your offense. Also Martin seems like a low risk, high reward pick @ #21. Sure some may say you reached, but look at the draft in which Ray Rice came out, he went #55 overall, I'm sure if you had to do it all over again he would be a top 10 maybe top 5 pick. Hell we took two guys who could very well not on the team next year, Rivers and Simpson, before Rice was selected.[/b]
[/quote]

you don't have to wait until the 2nd round. just trade down from #21 and then take him.

I am beginning to move towards the trent or wait camp. If trent is there at 17 he has to be the pick. If not, i think the bengals should wait till atleast the 3rd.

Honestly, i would be ok with them drafting 2 rb's in the later rounds. A combination of Rainey or james could be really good. Both have home run speed and can catch. They can split carries so neither has to be a "bell cow." I would love getting both of them in the 3-5 or one of them plus ballard or Turan. Really, any combination of 2 backs in the later rounds would do for me.

I echoed this already but I don't feel any rb is first round grade other than Richardson who should be there when we pick. Remember Ingram last yr did not get drafted till 28th. Richardson is a better back than him obviously but I don't think by too much to warrant he will go top 10 for sure

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1328146341' post='1093563']
Is it just me, or is it unusual to have 2-3 guards all slated as first round picks?
[/quote]

I think it's unusual and just hype machine for now. When it's all said and done I think only decastro is going in first round and may be Glenn at end of first(I think this will happen only if a team thinks Glenn is gonna be an OT)

[quote name='Riverfront' timestamp='1327607732' post='1092391']
I do like what I see on Wilson's You Tube videos. But I'd take this guy posted on walterfootball.com. At this weight, he could not be stopped.

[b]Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State [/b]
[b]Height: 5-10. [color=#ff0000]Weight: 2157 [/color][/b]
[b]Projected 40 Time: 4.60. [/b]
[b]Arm: 31 1/8. Hand: 9 1/2. [/b]
[b]Projected Round (2012): 4-5. [/b]
[/quote]

Dayum! Can he play NT? BJ is in love.

:D

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1328113237' post='1093474']
If Trent drops anywhere under maybe 13-14 I'd hope we make a move
[/quote]

that's where i'm at. but even that situation would require a close look at who else might be available, or have dropped. that could cause a change of heart. free agency acquisitions could also readjust my current thinking. but damn, i'd love to have a shot like that at richardson. if a 3rd round pick allows me the chance to put him in our backfield, i'd likely pull the lever on that one. he's that special in my eyes.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1328069292' post='1093379']

I wouldn't say he wasn't highly productive. In the three years he played, he scored 47 total touchdowns and had almost 3800 yards. Lamar Miller only had 2000 and 16 touchdowns in his two years.
[/quote]

Miller split carries in both seasons. Martin was the feature back. Miami not only plays a tougher conf. schedule but played one of the toughest schedules in college football over the last two seasons.

I don't understand your hatred for a guy that looks better both via YouTube and is more productive by the numbers. None of us know how these guys will translate to the next level but when you look at the video and then verify the production on paper for each game, Miller is more productive. These are things you cannot argue.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1328159366' post='1093590']
Miller split carries in both seasons. Martin was the feature back. Miami not only plays a tougher conf. schedule but played one of the toughest schedules in college football over the last two seasons.

I don't understand your hatred for a guy that looks better both via YouTube and is more productive by the numbers. None of us know how these guys will translate to the next level but when you look at the video and then verify the production on paper for each game, Miller is more productive. These are things you cannot argue.
[/quote]
How is Miller in anyway more productive than Martin? YPC?

The only thing Miller looks good at is running fast. Track stars don't make it in the NFL.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1328113237' post='1093474']
If Trent drops anywhere under maybe 13-14 I'd hope we make a move
[/quote]

We have too many holes and unanswered questions (as far as our own FA's go) to be trading UP. I wouldnt trade up for
Richardson unless all we had to give up was a 3rd or 4th rounder to go along with one of our first rounders.
Doesnt matter if we draft the best RB in the draft if we dont have an offensive line worth a shit for him to run behind.

Of course I wouldnt be against taking Richardson, I just really wouldnt have to trade UP to do it.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1328159366' post='1093590']

[/quote]

I'll start this by saying I don't dislike miller, just more than most the other backs Watching video of him, he certainly has elite speed. He's not overly shifty though and doesn't break many tackles. He typically goes down on first contact.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1328189426' post='1093617']
Miller looks like a faster Clinton Portis to me. Not the most elusive back but will break long runs every once in a while. Put any of the top 4 backs behind Alabama's offensive line and they would put up similar numbers to T-Rich.
[/quote]

That's crazy talk, you must not have watched this kid play for the past 3 years. As someone who has seen just about everyone of his games, let me tell you he's special. He rarely goes down on the first hit, has the speed to out run defenders to the edge, and the power to run over defenders in between the tackles. Bama's oline is good but not dominant like you are suggesting, to say that you can put Miller or Polk in there and get the same results is just not right, imo.

You have to remember going into this season everyone who played Bama knew that Richardson was the only real threat for Bama's offense and he still ran for almost 1,700 yrds and 21 tds in 13 games....that's fucking amazing if you ask me.

Here's a really in depth play-by-play analysis on rb David Wilson, and why the Bengals (probably) shouldn't draft him:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wlr2gEhdRYIJ:mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/01/30/rb-david-wilsons-vision-part-ii-the-lowlights/+rb+david+wilson+fumbled+a+lot&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

I didn't realise he's had problems fumbling in college, that really puts me off!

[quote name='NYbengals' timestamp='1328137216' post='1093542']
I am beginning to move towards the trent or wait camp. If trent is there at 17 he has to be the pick. If not, i think the bengals should wait till atleast the 3rd.

Honestly, i would be ok with them drafting 2 rb's in the later rounds. A combination of Rainey or james could be really good. Both have home run speed and can catch. They can split carries so neither has to be a "bell cow." I would love getting both of them in the 3-5 or one of them plus ballard or Turan. Really, any combination of 2 backs in the later rounds would do for me.
[/quote]

Rainey is 5'9" 174 lbs. A 174 lbs RB probably wouldn't last 5 carries in the AFC North. He'd be crushed. Maybe return punts
or play slot receiver.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' timestamp='1328273621' post='1093795']

Rainey is 5'9" 174 lbs. A 174 lbs RB probably wouldn't last 5 carries in the AFC North. He'd be crushed. Maybe return punts
or play slot receiver.
[/quote]

he wouldn't be close to an everyday back, but Rainey is no smaller than Dexter McCluster who's a RB/WR/KR/PR in Kansas City.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1328189426' post='1093617']
Miller looks like a faster Clinton Portis to me. Not the most elusive back but will break long runs every once in a while. Put any of the top 4 backs behind Alabama's offensive line and they would put up similar numbers to T-Rich.
[/quote]

dude i really really hate alabama but trent is a special back. Watching him play in the sec is something else. The dude just breaks tackles and moves with such fucking power its unbelievable. I really hope he slips I would love to see this guy in stripes

Archived