Best Restaurants

Tigris

I've become a dining addict. Obviously I want to pay a lesser dollar amount, but I often will go wherever the taste buds take me.

I'm not going to confine this to any specific region, but I'm guessing the Cincinnati region would be best for many people here. Personally, I'm closer to Columbus and Dayton but occasionally will eat in Cincinnati while I'm there for a Bengal or Red game.

I'll begin by listing some of my favorite, non chain (Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback, Olive Garden, etc. - of course all those places have good stuff) restaurants...

First, there's The Spaghetti Warehouse in Columbus. On the outside it looks like a shit hole but when you get inside it's super nice. It's an Italian place that has everything you can imagine. The inside has an actual real life trolley you sit in. We were lucky enough to get our party into there. The service was spot on but the place was relatively loud. Maybe it was because they can house so many people? It's delicious. I believe I had Parmesan chicken and calamari. I can't remember. The atmosphere was nice and the prices are considered normal. No more than $20 a person for a good meal.

Second, and they are across the river and in Columbus, Mitchell's Fish Market. Probably my favorite place to go. The Chilean Sea Bass is expensive but but amazing. You can get a cod dinner for around $18 and a chicken dinner for around $16. However, if you go anything like the bass or shellfish, it can be anywhere from $22-$35. The spicy Asian shrimp is about $7-$8 and may be the best appetizer in the country. It's definitely a must have when visiting. Appetizer-wise, I've also had the crab cakes, yellowfin tuna, and cocktail shrimp. The crab cakes are great but expensive the other two are good but not mouth-watering... unless you love semi-raw tuna, I'd pass on those. The lobster spinach cheese dip is also something to consider when you visit the Fish Market. It's more low key and dark inside the market (the Columbus one, not so much Newport). Definitely a place to the the wife/girlfriend/hoe. The service is awesome here.

My third is La Chatelaine, a French eatery and bistro off of Lane Avenue in Columbus. For a guarantee lay, take your date to the Fish Market on Olentangy River Road and then desert to La Chatelaine. La Chatelaine is an outdoor/indoor place, very small and cozy, with awesome deserts. I've only ate dinner their once and had some sort of French meat/steak. It wasn't something I'd order again but it wasn't bad; I think I can find better. The deserts are top of the line. They have something called Napoleon Thousand Layers or something like that. All I can say it try it and tell me you don't love it. It had about 20 items to choose from on the desert menu and I've tried bites of probably 5 of them and every time an instant orgy raged in my mouth. You can get dinner and desert for less than $20. I would consider this place a desert specific location for now.

Another place I'd consider just for the experience is Rain Forest Cafe. It's a great place to take your kids. You can get meals from $12 to $25. It has a little bit of everything for everyone. I believe I got steak and shrimp. They dress the place up in rain forest like decor complete with gorillas, elephants, snakes, waterfalls, and trees. It's just a neat dining experience... gives you a lot to look at while you're eating. I wouldn't go there strictly for a "nice meal" per se, but more for the atmosphere and experience.

If I think of any more I'll post about them. Anyone ever been to the elevator in downtown Columbus? My friend went there and said it was good. I guess you cook your own food there on a rock? I'm looking for new places to visit.

The spaghetti warehouse is a chain fyi, if you want an awesome Philly steak served on styrofoam plate with plastic utensils and plastic chairs go to the pilot inn in Norwood, fucking great.
And.just down the road there is an awesome Thai place, forget the name though. Cincinnati has great Thai food in general, maybe its just what I had first but the Thai out here isn't anywhere near as good. The Chinese is way way better though

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1332871862' post='1112597']
I didn't know it was a chain. Anyway, still awesome food.

Norwood outside Cincy?
[/quote]

Norwood is inside Cincy. It's the general area where Xavier Univ is located, no more than 10 - 15 mins outside of downtown.

Restaurants:

Dayton: Melting Pot (mmmmmmmmmmm and also a guaranteed lay)
Columbus: Northstar (organic restaurant, specializing in veggie dishes but also good meat dishes);
Cincy: Cactus Pear (high end Mexican as well as other dishes, awesome food and atmosphere, located on Jefferson St in Clifton, almost directly across from UC College of Business); Teranga (Senagalese food, awesome chicken and lamb dishes, located on Vine St in Wyoming/Hartwell area); Sultan (Middle Eastern/Turkish food, awesome kabobs, located on Tylersville Rd in West Chester);

Sushi - love me some sushi. Some of the better sushi places I've visited are: Mei in Montgomery, next to Go Bananas comedy club; Kyoto in Montgomery/Fields Ertel area - best bang for your buck by far...they have half price offers pretty much everyday; Dancing Wasabi in Mt. Lookout Square; Ginza in Mason; Sake Bomb in Hyde Park.

This is in Washington, DC (Alexandria, VA to be exact). A place called Hops. Their Jamician Sirloin is really good, and they brew their own beer. There used to be on in Dayotna Beach and it's gone. This chain needs to expand, I have taken so many people there through the years, and they love it.

Capital Grille, been to the one in Tyson's Corner, VA twice, the one in Miami once. It's all a la carte, expensive as anything, but worth it. If you are looking to impress a woman, that place does the trick.

There is also a place in DC called Skydome. It is on top of the Doubletree hotel and the bar revolves around in a circle the entire time you are there. The menu doesn't have much, and a few nights a week, they do karaoke.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332873108' post='1112623']

Norwood is inside Cincy. It's the general area where Xavier Univ is located, no more than 10 - 15 mins outside of downtown.

Restaurants:

[color=#ff0000]Dayton: Melting Pot (mmmmmmmmmmm and also a guaranteed lay)[/color]
Columbus: Northstar (organic restaurant, specializing in veggie dishes but also good meat dishes);
Cincy: Cactus Pear (high end Mexican as well as other dishes, awesome food and atmosphere, located on Jefferson St in Clifton, almost directly across from UC College of Business); Teranga (Senagalese food, awesome chicken and lamb dishes, located on Vine St in Wyoming/Hartwell area); Sultan (Middle Eastern/Turkish food, awesome kabobs, located on Tylersville Rd in West Chester);

Sushi - love me some sushi. Some of the better sushi places I've visited are: Mei in Montgomery, next to Go Bananas comedy club; Kyoto in Montgomery/Fields Ertel area - best bang for your buck by far...they have half price offers pretty much everyday; Dancing Wasabi in Mt. Lookout Square; Ginza in Mason; Sake Bomb in Hyde Park.
[/quote]

The owner of that place is a browns fan.

:ninja:

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1332877217' post='1112696']
You haven't eaten steak until you've had one at Fleming's. It's actually a chain, but amazing (but pricey) steaks. Better than Ruth's by a mile.
If you're ever in Indianapolis, eat at the Oceanaire. Best seafood ever. I believe that's a chain as well, but premium all the way.
[/quote]

There is an Oceanaire in DC as well, but I haven't been there.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1332873665' post='1112636']
Good list, Amir.

I ate a middle-east dish the other day; goat. The meat was lamb-like but very oily. Maybe it was the herbs and spices but it made me feel weird.
[/quote]

I'll add to it as I remember more. Was the goat in a curry sauce or anything? Was it accompanied by veggies, rice? You may have picked a "bad" dish. I would recommend getting the chicken kabob if you ever go to a Middle Eastern place, never fails. Or the lamb kabob. REALLY good.

I'll get a list of places in Columbus for you to eat at. They have some fantastic Middle Eastern and Indo-Pak places up there that I would imagine you would enjoy. Next time I'm there, we'll go to Northstar ...love that place. They make this freshly made ginger ale from real ginger. REALLY good. That and the black bean burger and you're good to go.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1332877217' post='1112696']
You haven't eaten steak until you've had one at Fleming's. It's actually a chain, but amazing (but pricey) steaks. Better than Ruth's by a mile.
If you're ever in Indianapolis, eat at the Oceanaire. Best seafood ever. I believe that's a chain as well, but premium all the way.
[/quote]
Lol seafood in Indianapolis can never hold a candle to anything you get on the coasts. if you like what you're eating there I suggest you don't spoil it by eating actually fresh seafood.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332878850' post='1112712']

I'll add to it as I remember more. Was the goat in a curry sauce or anything? Was it accompanied by veggies, rice? You may have picked a "bad" dish. I would recommend getting the chicken kabob if you ever go to a Middle Eastern place, never fails. Or the lamb kabob. REALLY good.

I'll get a list of places in Columbus for you to eat at. They have some fantastic Middle Eastern and Indo-Pak places up there that I would imagine you would enjoy. Next time I'm there, we'll go to Northstar ...love that place. They make this freshly made ginger ale from real ginger. REALLY good. That and the black bean burger and you're good to go.
[/quote]
Worth noting that you will not be served chicken on a stick with veggies if you order the kabob, I think most Americans would expect that. I like the chicken shwarma

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1332879203' post='1112719']
Worth noting that you will not be served chicken on a stick with veggies if you order the kabob, I think most Americans would expect that. I like the chicken shwarma
[/quote]

True...the chunks of chicken or lamb are brought out on a plate, sitting atop a bed of pilaf rice and probably some mixed veggies on the side. Sultan in West Chester, Cincinnati has the best lamb kabob I've tasted in this region. Andy's Mediterranean Cafe is another kabob place in the Cincy area. It's a bit pricy for what you get but it's definitely tasty.

Some "chain" ones I'd recommend:

Mongolian Barbecue

Smashburger (best burgers IMO)

Logan's Steakhouse (great chicken, free peanuts and bread)

also had some great chicken recently at O'Charley's. And of course they have free bread too.

For Mexican, El Rancho Grande is a good choice.

For non-chainy, Price Hill Chili is always a good choice in Cincy.

Wish I could find some more mom'n'pop type restaurants in the South Dayton area. Would like to give back to the little guy, but there doesn't seem to be a lot around us.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332878850' post='1112712']

[/quote]

He said I should eat it with rice but I ate the meat alone. If it had curry, it didn't have much. I also ate this pita thing that had yellow in it... maybe a corn meal type filling?

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1332879018' post='1112715']
Lol seafood in Indianapolis can never hold a candle to anything you get on the coasts. if you like what you're eating there I suggest you don't spoil it by eating actually fresh seafood.
[/quote]
You can get fresh seafood anywhere in the country if you're willing to pay a higher premium for it. Lots of high-end restaurants have fresh seafood flown in daily in just about every large-ish city across the country. Now granted, it isn't "this came out of the water 2 hours ago" fresh (more like a day) but the difference in flavor and texture is so negligible as to not really matter. Fresh seafood, if iced, can keep for at least three days and stay fresh.

I find it funny when people from either coast argue about fresh seafood. Unless you're buying and cooking straight from the trawler, nothing is "catch fresh". Seafood spoils so quickly that it has to be put on ice. And like bunghole said, places like oceannaire fly their stuff in. That's why you pay the extra bucks. Seafood coming from Alaska or the Gulf Coast shrimpers takes just as long to get to Indy than it does to New York or Los Angeles.

And having seen the water quality at the coasts, I am actually kind of glad when my seafood comes from deep-see fishing operations.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1332894807' post='1112845']
He said I should eat it with rice but I ate the meat alone. If it had curry, it didn't have much. I also ate this pita thing that had yellow in it... maybe a corn meal type filling?
[/quote]

I think it would have been better with the rice haha. The pita thing with yellow in it? Did it also have green herbs on top? If so, that's pita bread with olive oil and thyme. It's delicious yeah? OOOH, I think you're talking about falafel. Pita with round yellow/green fried ball shaped things? Yeah, that's falafel. It's also delicious if you put some tahini (paste made from chick peas) on it.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332945206' post='1113029']

I think it would have been better with the rice haha. The pita thing with yellow in it? Did it also have green herbs on top? If so, that's pita bread with olive oil and thyme. It's delicious yeah? OOOH, I think you're talking about falafel. Pita with round yellow/green fried ball shaped things? Yeah, that's falafel. It's also delicious if you put some tahini (paste made from chick peas) on it.
[/quote]
I thought tahini was made from sesame seeds?

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332948190' post='1113062']

Dammit...you're right...hell was I thinking. I had hummus and tahini mixed up. I have chicks on my mind all the time.
[/quote]

this song might help with that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIybz6axr1Q

Archived