Best Restaurants

Tigris

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1332879018' post='1112715']
Lol seafood in Indianapolis can never hold a candle to anything you get on the coasts. if you like what you're eating there I suggest you don't spoil it by eating actually fresh seafood.
[/quote]

When I went on vacation, I went to the NE and ate in Halifax, NS. The place was built on top of the water. I am not sure how much more "fresh" I could have gotten. I wanted to compare to the Fish Market, so I got the grilled salmon... while it was good and I wanted to have seconds, the Fish Market is still better (who supposedly fly there stuff in daily). I know this is small sample size, but wanted to throw that out there.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332894752' post='1112843']
Some "chain" ones I'd recommend:

Mongolian Barbecue

Smashburger (best burgers IMO)

Logan's Steakhouse (great chicken, free peanuts and bread)

also had some great chicken recently at O'Charley's. And of course they have free bread too.

For Mexican, El Rancho Grande is a good choice.

For non-chainy, Price Hill Chili is always a good choice in Cincy.

Wish I could find some more mom'n'pop type restaurants in the South Dayton area. Would like to give back to the little guy, but there doesn't seem to be a lot around us.
[/quote]

Isn't it Logan's Roadhouse? Well, if there's one on N. Fairfield Road, whatever it is, I am not a fan. We ate there because the specials were more our price range. I thought it tasted very bland... like when you cook a steak on the oven at home without seasoning it at all.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332945206' post='1113029']

I think it would have been better with the rice haha. The pita thing with yellow in it? Did it also have green herbs on top? If so, that's pita bread with olive oil and thyme. It's delicious yeah? OOOH, I think you're talking about falafel. Pita with round yellow/green fried ball shaped things? Yeah, that's falafel. It's also delicious if you put some tahini (paste made from chick peas) on it.
[/quote]

They were little yellow blotches inside of it. They were flat but were kinda of squashed together... a very small amount but had a hotter taste to it... like a spicy hot. I don't remember any herbs; I only had a very small piece. He said it was more of a snack type deal more-so than a main dish.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1332944279' post='1113019']
I find it funny when people from either coast argue about fresh seafood. Unless you're buying and cooking straight from the trawler, nothing is "catch fresh". Seafood spoils so quickly that it has to be put on ice. And like bunghole said, places like oceannaire fly their stuff in. That's why you pay the extra bucks. Seafood coming from Alaska or the Gulf Coast shrimpers takes just as long to get to Indy than it does to New York or Los Angeles.

And having seen the water quality at the coasts, I am actually kind of glad when my seafood comes from deep-see fishing operations.
[/quote]

I'm a McCormick and Schmicks guy when I'm eating fish. They have a new menu for every serving to try to make sure they are serving the freshest seafood. I also like the Oakwood Club and the Pine Club, although the Pine is a little more of a pain in the ass. (no reservations, so you wait 45mins to an hour and a half). I'm going to Fleming's for the first time Sunday, One of my customers that bought a CLS told me it's great. There is also a real nice Cajun place down off 275, but I can't think of the name. I also like Nicholson's, over by the Arnoff Center, but that's probably more for the scotch!!

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1332888106' post='1112801']

True...the chunks of chicken or lamb are brought out on a plate, sitting atop a bed of pilaf rice and probably some mixed veggies on the side. Sultan in West Chester, Cincinnati has the best lamb kabob I've tasted in this region. Andy's Mediterranean Cafe is another kabob place in the Cincy area. It's a bit pricy for what you get but it's definitely tasty.
[/quote]
The Lebanese place I used to go to in college served kabob wrapped in pita shell

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332894752' post='1112843']
Some "chain" ones I'd recommend:

Mongolian Barbecue

Smashburger (best burgers IMO)

Logan's Steakhouse (great chicken, free peanuts and bread)

also had some great chicken recently at O'Charley's. And of course they have free bread too.

For Mexican, El Rancho Grande is a good choice.

For non-chainy, [b] Price Hill Chili [/b]is always a good choice in Cincy.

Wish I could find some more mom'n'pop type restaurants in the South Dayton area. Would like to give back to the little guy, but there doesn't seem to be a lot around us.
[/quote]
Truth

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1332944279' post='1113019']
I find it funny when people from either coast argue about fresh seafood. Unless you're buying and cooking straight from the trawler, nothing is "catch fresh". Seafood spoils so quickly that it has to be put on ice. And like bunghole said, places like oceannaire fly their stuff in. That's why you pay the extra bucks. Seafood coming from Alaska or the Gulf Coast shrimpers takes just as long to get to Indy than it does to New York or Los Angeles.

And having seen the water quality at the coasts, I am actually kind of glad when my seafood comes from deep-see fishing operations.
[/quote]
believe what you want, I'll trust my taste buds. Best seafood I've ever had was in Seattle, any port city is gonna be good though. They catch the fish that day and its on your plate for dinner, any fresher and you'd have to catch it yourself

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1332957890' post='1113158']

[b]When I went on vacation, I went to the NE and ate in Halifax, NS. The place was built on top of the water. I am not sure how much more "fresh" I could have gotten. I wanted to compare to the Fish Market, so I got the grilled salmon... while it was good and I wanted to have seconds, the Fish Market is still better (who supposedly fly there stuff in daily). I know this is small sample size, but wanted to throw that out there.[/b]

Isn't it Logan's Roadhouse? Well, if there's one on N. Fairfield Road, whatever it is, I am not a fan. We ate there because the specials were more our price range. I thought it tasted very bland... like when you cook a steak on the oven at home without seasoning it at all.

They were little yellow blotches inside of it. They were flat but were kinda of squashed together... a very small amount but had a hotter taste to it... like a spicy hot. I don't remember any herbs; I only had a very small piece. He said it was more of a snack type deal more-so than a main dish.
[/quote]
Did you check where the salmon was caught? I always order something that was caught "locally". I don't have any memories of the fish market but the salmon and sturgeon pulled out of the Columbia River is so damn good I find it hard to imagine a fish market in cincy being able to compare.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1333045426' post='1113561']
The Lebanese place I used to go to in college served kabob wrapped in pita shell
[/quote]

That sounds delicious. Most of these places are individually owned so they have their own style. Most Arab places, you'll find the kabob dish as well as the kabob sandwich. There's one thing they all have in common though.....the food is the shiite!

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1333046095' post='1113576']
Did you check where the salmon was caught? I always order something that was caught "locally". I don't have any memories of the fish market but the salmon and sturgeon pulled out of the Columbia River is so damn good I find it hard to imagine a fish market in cincy being able to compare.
[/quote]

I didn't check but will for now on.

You need to try some Fish Market for sure.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1333047711' post='1113592']

I didn't check but will for now on.

You need to try some Fish Market for sure.
[/quote]
I don't make it back to cincy often enough but I'll put it on my list of things to do, kind of fun being a tourist in your home town

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333047616' post='1113590']

That sounds delicious. Most of these places are individually owned so they have their own style. Most Arab places, you'll find the kabob dish as well as the kabob sandwich. There's one thing they all have in common though.....the food is the shiite!
[/quote]
Yeah unfortunately most people where I live now think falafel its a made up word. I love tzatziki sauce

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1333048175' post='1113599']
Yeah unfortunately most people where I live now think falafel its a made up word. I love tzatziki sauce
[/quote]

Haha...I love falafel. Love tzatziki sauce too....i actually ask them to put that on instead of the garlic mayo on kabob sandwiches and of course gyros. What part of the country do you reside currently?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333050695' post='1113631']
had red lobster for lunch. biscuits were extra good today.
[/quote]

You know, for as much seafood as I eat, I have yet to eat a meal at Red Lobster. Going to put it on my list.....unfortunately, the girlfriend doesn't like seafood so she's just going to have to watch me eat.

For vegeterian dishes, there's a place called Melt in Northside....it's awesome.

Anyone a fan of stuffed pizza (chicago style)? I LOVE Giordano's in Chicago and have tried to find something comparable here in Cincy but no luck. I've tried Chi-Natti's, Pizza Tower and Mio's......none can even compare. Any ideas?

What about Indian (Indo-Pak) food? Anyone a fan?

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333051685' post='1113636']

You know, for as much seafood as I eat, I have yet to eat a meal at Red Lobster. Going to put it on my list.....unfortunately, the girlfriend doesn't like seafood so she's just going to have to watch me eat.
[/quote]

ha, I've never had seafood at red lobster. Not a seafood guy, but have been to red lobster a lot.

I get the cajun chicken linguini alfredo.

They also have other chicken and steak menu items.

My favorite place in Cincinnati is Scotti's Italian restaurant downtown on Vine St. Family run and awesome.

And I know Montgomery Inn gets all the pub, but if you want really good BBQ, I like Smoq just south of Fairfield.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333053560' post='1113652']
My favorite place in Cincinnati is Scotti's Italian restaurant downtown on Vine St. Family run and awesome.

And I know Montgomery Inn gets all the pub, but if you want really good BBQ, I like Smoq just south of Fairfield.
[/quote]

I'll have to check Scotti's out. Love Italian. Does Smoq have beef bbq? I stays away from the swine.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333052207' post='1113642']

ha, I've never had seafood at red lobster. Not a seafood guy, but have been to red lobster a lot.

I get the cajun chicken linguini alfredo.

They also have other chicken and steak menu items.
[/quote]

Good to hear, I will allow her to eat in that case.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333051887' post='1113639']
Anyone a fan of stuffed pizza (chicago style)? I LOVE Giordano's in Chicago and have tried to find something comparable here in Cincy but no luck. I've tried Chi-Natti's, Pizza Tower and Mio's......none can even compare. Any ideas?
[/quote]
I'm not a Chicago pizza expert, but have you tried UNO's??? They tout themselves as a Chicago Grille with Chicago Style Pizza. Beechmont, West Chester, and Dayton locations.

Uno's on Ludlow used to be ok, but IMO you're going to be disappointed. There's a difference between the Chicago-style stuffed pizza - its closer to a pie really in my experience. Uno's (and every other pizza place around here I'm familiar with) offer what is essentially a "deep dish" pizza - the same thick crust you'd get anywhere else. Those differences aside my favorite pizza spots would either be Adriatico's or Pomidori's. The first is more of a carry-out, or used to be anyway as they now have a larger space that I have yet to check out. Pomi's is a little more upscale & has a wood-fired oven.

Indian: I have yet to try anyplace better than Ambar on Ludlow. I only get carry-out there however because the dining room is way too crowded for me. There's a place across the street called Tadka that does a really nice buffet on the weekends. Weekdays too, but they dress it up quite a bit on weekends. I think they must be from a different region than I'm used to because they have stuff on the menu there that I'm not familiar with from other Indian spots.

So yeh.. Anyone know a good spot for dim sum?

My favorite is probably the fish market..i have never had a bad experience there.... The chilean sea bass is my favorite meal in the world.... It's a little drive to get to one though, locally I like the Texas Roadhouse.. I know it's a chain steakhouse, but it's pretty damn good....

also....Olde Falls Inn... Wings and beer... local dive with the best wings in the world, they also have yuengling and killians on tap....

[quote name='esjbh2' timestamp='1333077925' post='1113753']
I'm not a Chicago pizza expert, but have you tried UNO's??? They tout themselves as a Chicago Grille with Chicago Style Pizza. Beechmont, West Chester, and Dayton locations.
[/quote]

Yes sir, have enjoyed Uno's many a occassion. Love their Spinnocholli and Farmer's Market pizzas. Not quite stuffed pizza like Chicago though. Appreciate the suggestion.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1333087769' post='1113770']
Uno's on Ludlow used to be ok, but IMO you're going to be disappointed. There's a difference between the Chicago-style stuffed pizza - its closer to a pie really in my experience. Uno's (and every other pizza place around here I'm familiar with) offer what is essentially a "deep dish" pizza - the same thick crust you'd get anywhere else. Those differences aside my favorite pizza spots would either be Adriatico's or Pomidori's. The first is more of a carry-out, or used to be anyway as they now have a larger space that I have yet to check out. Pomi's is a little more upscale & has a wood-fired oven.

Indian: I have yet to try anyplace better than Ambar on Ludlow. I only get carry-out there however because the dining room is way too crowded for me. There's a place across the street called Tadka that does a really nice buffet on the weekends. Weekdays too, but they dress it up quite a bit on weekends. I think they must be from a different region than I'm used to because they have stuff on the menu there that I'm not familiar with from other Indian spots.

So yeh.. Anyone know a good spot for dim sum?
[/quote]

Love me some Adriaticos and Pomodori as well. I probably ate Adriaticos 3 days a week during college. Their calzones are incredible as are their hoagies but the main draw is the pizza with spicy sauce. Love that shit.

Tadka is South Indian I believe, that's why you see the different menu items.

There's a place on W. McMillan in Clifton called Dim Sum, ever tried it? Me either.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1333092311' post='1113772']
Gyro Palace across from the Dayton mall makes the best effin Gyros I have ever had. Especially the chicken ones. For $5 your getting a ton of Gyro meat. Trust me and try it.
[/quote]

And we all know how you like lots a meat in yo mouf.

Hey Rumble, you like fitness?

How about fitness cock in your mouth? HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Archived