Best Restaurants

Tigris

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333119710' post='1113839']
There's a place on W. McMillan in Clifton called Dim Sum, ever tried it? Me either.
[/quote]

Is it new? Never heard of.. I think King Wok still does dim sum on weekends, but also think you'd be better off buying some frozen stuff from CAM or Jungle Jim's and/or otherwise trying to DIY. I will say this for King Wok, they do have the more authentic Chinese dishes that a lot of places don't. They actually had two menus for a while, but have since combined them. I'd probably eat there more often if they weren't on the same block as Thai Express. I really can't say enough about that place - good people & great food. I also like the bubble tea spot a couple of doors down; very nice folks.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333054086' post='1113659']

I'll have to check Scotti's out. Love Italian. [b]Does Smoq have beef bbq[/b]? I stays away from the swine.

Good to hear, I will allow her to eat in that case.
[/quote]

They do make a good brisket.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333051685' post='1113636']

Haha...I love falafel. Love tzatziki sauce too....i actually ask them to put that on instead of the garlic mayo on kabob sandwiches and of course gyros. [b]What part of the country do you reside currently? [/b]

You know, for as much seafood as I eat, I have yet to eat a meal at Red Lobster. Going to put it on my list.....unfortunately, the girlfriend doesn't like seafood so she's just going to have to watch me eat.
[/quote]
Eastern Oregon, lots of ag and just as many rednecks as Ohio. I somehow landed in the most conservative region of a very liberal state but like the people in Ohio I've found the misguided ultra conservatives out here to be generally good people as long you don't discuss things like politics with them. There just is like zero middle eastern influence on anything out here, mostly Mexican and Asian, which makes sense. The biggest event of the year is the pro rodeo lol

One of the best things about living in Las Vegas is that you will find cuisine from practically every continent and country on earth.

German, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Lebanese, and of course the standards like Mexican and every geographical region of the US. We don't have some of the chains available (Skyline, White Castle, etc.) but I don't find myself missing them too much...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1333219357' post='1114197']
One of the best things about living in Las Vegas is that you will find cuisine from practically every continent and country on earth.

German, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Lebanese, and of course the standards like Mexican and every geographical region of the US. We don't have some of the chains available (Skyline, White Castle, etc.) but I don't find myself missing them too much...
[/quote]
You can buy white castle in the freezer isle, and it tastes about the same, and I get my relatives in cincy to mail me the spice packs to make chili at home, and its way better IMO. When I was back in the nati I ate at skyline and gold star and neither hit the spot like the chili I make in my own kitchen.

Ambar India on Ludlow is the best Indian joint (english style curry house) in the city, as far as I can tell.

Thai-Express is hands down the best Thai food in the city, not only are the people friendly, but Wantana (the owner) would rather tell you she doesn't have something than use subpar ingredients. Good prices, great food!

As far as Mexican, there is a Mercado (a sort of Mexican strip mall) on Rt 4 in Fairfield that is pretty fucking sweet, it has a Taqueria, a bakery and a grocery store. The food at the Taqueria is great, and they make several kinds of Tamales daily at the Bakery (being celiac I can't really touch anything else there, but it all looks amazing),

As far as flown in fresh seafood, after trying both, I have to say I prefer the Bonefish Grill over Mitchell's Fish Market. The quality is very similar ( I think I actually enjoyed the food better at Bonefish) but the prices are slightly more reasonable, though neither is what you would call "cheap".

Andy's makes a mean kabob!

The Whitehouse Inn in West Chester is very good Americana. I have heard the Kentucky Hot Brown is the shit (no pun intended) there though I have never tried it.

Cancun Mexican Grill on the westside (not the bowling alley, but the one on Glen-Crossing Way) is very good Tex-Mex style Mexican that is very reasonably priced.. And I kid you not, they have the absolute best Margaritas I have had in the city (always get top shelf).

Sabor Peruano on Rt 4 in Fairfield is absolutely awesome! I have never eaten Peruvian anywhere else so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have yet to have something from there that wasn't tasty. It is well worth the drive for the experience if you have never had Peruvian.. The food is an interesting blend of European and Asian influences. Gotta try it if you are a foodie!

Girlfriend and I go to Cancun often, love that place. Economical and tasty. I enjoy El Rancho Grande also but you can't beat Cactus Pear for great Mexican food.

Lucid, great post with fresh ideas.

I have not had many Thai dishes because I'm not a huge spicy food eater and don't really like peanut sauce but it sounds intriguing.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1333396470' post='1114733']
Girlfriend and I go to Cancun often, love that place. Economical and tasty. I enjoy El Rancho Grande also but you can't beat Cactus Pear for great Mexican food.

Lucid, great post with fresh ideas.

I have not had many Thai dishes because I'm not a huge spicy food eater and don't really like peanut sauce but it sounds intriguing.
[/quote]

Actually most Thai dishes don't use peanut sauce, and all the dishes at Thai Express come at the heat you desire (except the red pepper stir fry, which is of course naturally spicy). You really should try it.. One of the side perks of Thai Express is that they operate one of the cleanest kitchens I have ever seen (worked in few in my day) and the whole thing is right there to see as they make your food. For some reason, it's one of those places where you just feel good after eating there. I recommend the Drunkard Stir Fry with Noodles. :685:

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1333468932' post='1114996']

Actually most Thai dishes don't use peanut sauce, and all the dishes at Thai Express come at the heat you desire (except the red pepper stir fry, which is of course naturally spicy). You really should try it.. One of the side perks of Thai Express is that they operate one of the cleanest kitchens I have ever seen (worked in few in my day) and the whole thing is right there to see as they make your food. For some reason, it's one of those places where you just feel good after eating there. I recommend the Drunkard Stir Fry with Noodles. :685:
[/quote]

That settles it then, will have it for dinner sometime this week.

• 3 weeks later...
Thai Express is fantastic....I had the dunkard chicken w/ noodles.....awesome taste. Had bamboo, onions, green peppers, noodles and chicken. The taste was absolutely amazing. Cooked it right in front of me and the two older women there were hilarious. Great experience.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1332970404' post='1113259']
Pappadeux?
[/quote]

I didn't realize they were that far North. That is a Houston-based chain--the Pappas Bros. have that, seafood places, Mexican, a steakhouse, etc. Their steakhouse is one of the best in Houston. Pappadeux is good Cajun/creole seafood. I don't particularly care for Pappasito's, the Mexican one though

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1335277407' post='1120866']
Thai Express is fantastic....I had the dunkard chicken w/ noodles.....awesome taste. Had bamboo, onions, green peppers, noodles and chicken. The taste was absolutely amazing. Cooked it right in front of me and the two older women there were hilarious. Great experience.
[/quote]

Awesome! Glad you liked it. I always enjoy turning people on to new things, and they couldn't deserve it more.. Great people who do it right. I have never had something from there that I didn't like.. And they often have special items on the marker board (on the wall to the right of the counter) that are either seasonal or adventurous (almost always worth the leap).

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1336145590' post='1128796']
Awesome! Glad you liked it. I always enjoy turning people on to new things, and they couldn't deserve it more.. Great people who do it right. I have never had something from there that I didn't like.. And they often have special items on the marker board (on the wall to the right of the counter) that are either seasonal or adventurous (almost always worth the leap).
[/quote]

Ever tried the Mango Salad? That looks delicious. I actually have had the dunkard noodles again since my last post, got it a bit less spicy this time. I told her 5 out of 10 last time and apparently it means something different to the Thai than it does to the Pakistani because that shit was HOT! Love that dish though. So good.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1336148792' post='1128818']
Ever tried the Mango Salad? That looks delicious. I actually have had the dunkard noodles again since my last post, got it a bit less spicy this time. I told her 5 out of 10 last time and apparently it means something different to the Thai than it does to the Pakistani because that shit was HOT! Love that dish though. So good.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, delicious! I actually think the rating correlates directly to scoops of pepper flake.. I have had shit so hot there that it made my mouth swell up. I used to get everything super hot until the lady that owns the place told me "You should not eat it so spicy all the time... Every once in a while is good for you, but too much is bad...". Sound advice.

Another gem that's not well known is La Mexicana in Newport on Monmouth Street. Its as authentic as authentic Mexican food can get, with the Mexican grocery in the back, etc. They have these goat meat tacos called the taco birria that are just fucking outstanding. Try them, you will not be disappointed. They also serve up some yummy huitlacoche too (the Mexican truffle...made from a specific kind of mold that grows on corn...its awesome!).

Reviews:

[url="http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/361756/restaurant/Cincinnati/Campbell-County/La-Mexicana-Newport"]http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/361756/restaurant/Cincinnati/Campbell-County/La-Mexicana-Newport[/url]

[url="http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-19458-la_mexicana_(review).html"]http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-19458-la_mexicana_(review).html[/url]

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1333317746' post='1114511']
Ambar India on Ludlow is the best Indian joint (english style curry house) in the city, as far as I can tell.

Thai-Express is hands down the best Thai food in the city, not only are the people friendly, but Wantana (the owner) would rather tell you she doesn't have something than use subpar ingredients. Good prices, great food!
[/quote]

Ambar's great, but we tend to get carry out from Krishna more often. For a change of flavor, Dusmesh right across from Cincinnati State is great. Not sure of their region, but it's distinct and very tasty.

Thai Express is great, and Wan is awesome. I've been going there since they opened (longer, actually. A Chinese place was there before, and I used to go to that place too). My only knock on them is that they switched their ginger several years ago, and I just haven't enjoyed the ginger stir fry since. The rest is still great though.

For a different Thai experience, I also dig Teak in Mount Adams.

Riverside Korean in Northern Kentucky is awesome. We're going there tonight.

For Mexican, I really enjoy Montoya's the best, but El Jinete is good when we're near my brother's house.

The world is a better place again now that Knotty Pine on the Bayou has re-opened. Best Cajun I've had in the Tri-state.

For Vietnamese, we love Cilantro in Clifton, and Pho Lang Thang in Findlay Market. I think I prefer the Sate soup at Cilantro, but everything else at Pho Lang Thang.

If you want heart bypass surgery in the near future, go to Terry's Turf Club for burgers. They rule!

Honey in Northside is a terrific place for American cuisine at a more casual price and setting. Get their smokey tomato soup. It's the bees knees!

My final thought for now (because I'm making myself hungry) is, oddly enough, the Marathon Station on the AA highway (between Alexandria and Augusta). Their Broaster chicken is my guilty pleasure. I eat the shit out of it on the random occasion I find myself out that way.

I'm a big fan of Bonefish Grill (it is a chain, but their shrimp appetizer is by far the best shrimp ive ever had)

Prima Vista is a phenomenal italian restaurant and very high class (but so are the prices)

Boi Na Braza downtown is great. Brazilian all you can eat steakhouse.

Blue Ash Chili (like 10 minutes from kenwood mall) is awesome. They have very good create your own burgers and you can get them on a fresh Servati's pretzel bun which they bring in daily.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333053560' post='1113652']
My favorite place in Cincinnati is Scotti's Italian restaurant downtown on Vine St. Family run and awesome.

And I know Montgomery Inn gets all the pub, but if you want really good BBQ, I like Smoq just south of Fairfield.
[/quote]

Smoq is good but pricey and they do have beef

Campanellos downtown on Central avenue is awesome. Family run italian restaurant.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1333317746' post='1114511']
The Whitehouse Inn in West Chester is very good Americana. I have heard the Kentucky Hot Brown is the shit (no pun intended) there though I have never tried it.
[/quote]

I only order the Kentucky Hot Brown when I go there. It is phenomenal.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333053560' post='1113652']
My favorite place in Cincinnati is Scotti's Italian restaurant downtown on Vine St. Family run and awesome.

And I know Montgomery Inn gets all the pub, but if you want really good BBQ, I like Smoq just south of Fairfield.
[/quote]
Scotti's is awesome. Have not been there in a year so but it is always good every time I go there.

Archived