Jerome Simpson Signs with Vikings, Suspended 3 Games to Start Season

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1333559842' post='1115477']

I couldn't be more clear even if I bathed in Windex.

I'm not going to re-hash it. I have to run an errand for my woman, Mary Jane.
My day of relaxing has gone Up in Smoke.
[/quote]

Depositing her nickles, dimes, and quarters into a joint account is hardly worth such a tokin' response.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1333560966' post='1115488']

Depositing her nickles, dimes, and quarters into a joint account is hardly worth such a tokin' response.
[/quote]

You guys are chronic arguers.

[quote name='BScott28' timestamp='1333504823' post='1115259']
In the middle on this one, want him back, but also feel that we need someone more consistent opposite of Green.

Always have been a huge Simpson fan and if he does leave, he will do great for Bradford compared to what he has there
[/quote]

I'd rather get somebody less stupid.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1333561497' post='1115492']
I wonder if Simpson will get his deposit back when he moves out of his apartment in Kentucky. Apartment managers don't usually look too kindly when they find a bunch of roaches.
[/quote]
Who cares about all that trivial stuff. I just don't want him on the team anymore.

I say clear all the deadwood from Mike Sheppard/Bob Bartowski era and do a full reboot. Methinks James Urban and Jay Gruden may be better talent evaluators when it comes to wideouts.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1333569191' post='1115580']
Who cares about all that trivial stuff. I just don't want him on the team anymore.

[b]I say clear all the deadwood from Mike Sheppard/Bob Bartowski era and do a full reboot.[/b] Methinks James Urban and Jay Gruden may be better talent evaluators when it comes to wideouts.
[/quote]

that would include Shipley.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1333503086' post='1115248']
Yeah.

Now might be the time for us to stop bluffing. There is no rookie that will be at 17 that will give us the impact that Jerome can.
[/quote]

I couldn't disagree with you more.

You have no idea who will be on the board at 17. We both know what the Bengals have in Jerome. It's not that hard to run half assed routes, not come back to the ball, struggle to learn the playbook, and become a convicted felon. Some of you are greatly overvaluing Jerome. He's an average receiver at best, and doesn't deserve a contract here... His opportunity was handed to him on a silver platter and he blew it

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1333600041' post='1115684']

You have no idea who will be on the board at 17. We both know what the Bengals have in Jerome. It's not that hard to run half assed routes, not come back to the ball, struggle to learn the playbook, and become a convicted felon. Some of you are greatly overvaluing Jerome. He's an average receiver at best, and doesn't deserve a contract here... His opportunity was handed to him on a silver platter and he blew it
[/quote]
this man gets it

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1333604571' post='1115692']

To each his own.

I don't think the receiver crop is very deep this year. I like Blackmon and Floyd. I'm iffy on Wright and I think the rest could end up being not very good. Blackmon and Floyd aren't lasting till our pick.

Plus Jerome is sweet and does flips and sweet tricks with the ball. I say sign him to incentive based and watch him go buckmotherfuckinwild.
[/quote]
Jerome does bring the entertainment factor for sure, I like the idea of a no. 2 receiver with rare physical skills that can bust a huge play every now and then and energize the team. Gresham and Shipley are your possession receivers, green is your big play stud, and I like Simpson as that x factor. I don't know that there is a guy like him that can be had in this draft based on where our picks are. That's why I would welcome Jerome back.
I also don't likes his drops because a playmaker that can't hold onto the ball is misnomer we can do without. That's why I won't be too upset if he leaves. I'll root for him wherever he goes though, just like I still cheer for Chad and really hope his play gets back to where it was, and why I was happy to see Dillon get a ring.
These guys aren't perfect citizens, make mistakes, say stuff they shouldn't and burn a few bridges here and there, but who hasn't done all that stuff in their own lives to some degree. Bottom line is guys like Jerome provided some great memories in their time as a Bengal and I choose to focus on the good times so I will always support them.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1333600041' post='1115684']

You have no idea who will be on the board at 17. We both know what the Bengals have in Jerome. It's not that hard to run half assed routes, not come back to the ball, struggle to learn the playbook, and become a convicted felon. Some of you are greatly overvaluing Jerome. He's an average receiver at best, and doesn't deserve a contract here... His opportunity was handed to him on a silver platter and he blew it[/quote]

I would like to see Jerome back now, just because it would piss you off. Him an the muscle hamster(D Martin). In fact, maybe we could sign Jerome to a huge contract and pick Martin at 17. Your head would explode.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1333615136' post='1115695']
Jerome does bring the entertainment factor for sure, I like the idea of a no. 2 receiver with rare physical skills that can bust a huge play every now and then and energize the team. Gresham and Shipley are your possession receivers, green is your big play stud, and I like Simpson as that x factor. I don't know that there is a guy like him that can be had in this draft based on where our picks are. That's why I would welcome Jerome back.
I also don't likes his drops because a playmaker that can't hold onto the ball is misnomer we can do without. That's why I won't be too upset if he leaves. I'll root for him wherever he goes though, just like I still cheer for Chad and really hope his play gets back to where it was, and why I was happy to see Dillon get a ring.
These guys aren't perfect citizens, make mistakes, say stuff they shouldn't and burn a few bridges here and there, but who hasn't done all that stuff in their own lives to some degree. Bottom line is guys like Jerome provided some great memories in their time as a Bengal and I choose to focus on the good times so I will always support them.
[/quote]

one reason I'd like to see him back is because I think Gruden is still learning how best to use all of the guys he had last year and IMO at times he wasn't making best use of Simpson's strengths. You saw that in games where when Simpson was the #1 he went off for big games, but had lesser games as the #2. Not saying Simpson should have been the #1 over Green, but maybe his role needed tweaking in the offense. Sames as Gruden didn't fully utilize Gresham last year as well, IMO.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333626487' post='1115702']

one reason I'd like to see him back is because I think Gruden is still learning how best to use all of the guys he had last year and IMO at times he wasn't making best use of Simpson's strengths. You saw that in games where when Simpson was the #1 he went off for big games, but had lesser games as the #2. Not saying Simpson should have been the #1 over Green, but maybe his role needed tweaking in the offense. Sames as Gruden didn't fully utilize Gresham last year as well, IMO.
[/quote]

Yes, yes. That's a brilliant idea, use Simpson as the #1 WR and demote AJ Green to the #2 spot.

:huh:

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1333604571' post='1115692']
To each his own.

I don't think the receiver crop is very deep this year. I like Blackmon and Floyd. I'm iffy on Wright and I think the rest could end up being not very good. Blackmon and Floyd aren't lasting till our pick.

Plus Jerome is sweet and does flips and sweet tricks with the ball. I say sign him to incentive based and watch him go buckmotherfuckinwild.
[/quote]

Is this a circus or a football team? I don't care if he can do double flips as long as he can produce and he's been disappointing in that respect. That flip was awesome, but totally unnecessary and could've resulted in an injury when he could've/should've just ran in. Who cares if he's even the most athletic NFL player ever? It's got to translate into points and IMHO, he should've been more productive in that offense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333626995' post='1115706']

your reading comprehension needs a little work.
[/quote]

No because according to your logic, if Simpson is brought back and plays the #2 WR role behind Green then he will put up crap numbers. So what would be the point of bringing back a guy that is just going to put up crap numbers? So obviously if you are advocating they bring him back, it would be in a role that he would succeed, which would be as the #1 WR where he went off for big games. So which is it? You want to bring him back as the #2 WR where he will put up crap numbers behind Green, or bring him back as the #1 WR and demote AJ Green to #2?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1333627392' post='1115709']

No because according to your logic, if Simpson is brought back and plays the #2 WR role behind Green then he will put up crap numbers. So what would be the point of bringing back a guy that is just going to put up crap numbers? So obviously if you are advocating they bring him back, it would be in a role that he would succeed, which would be as the #1 WR where he went off for big games. So which is it? You want to bring him back as the #2 WR where he will put up crap numbers behind Green, or bring him back as the #1 WR and demote AJ Green to #2?
[/quote]

where the hell did you pull any of that crap from?

My point wasn't that hard to follow. It's laid out in the first sentence.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333626487' post='1115702']

one reason I'd like to see him back is because [b]I think Gruden is still learning how best to use all of the guys he had last year and IMO at times he wasn't making best use of Simpson's strengths. [/b] You saw that in games where when Simpson was the #1 he went off for big games, but had lesser games as the #2. Not saying Simpson should have been the #1 over Green, but maybe his role needed tweaking in the offense. Sames as Gruden didn't fully utilize Gresham last year as well, IMO.
[/quote]

Nowhere do I say Simpson should be the #1 (in fact I even made an effort to point out that's NOT what I'm suggesting).

Gruden's still learning how best to use these guys, whether it be Simpson, Gresham, Shipley, Hawkins or Tate. He didn't have much offseason with these guys, only getting them about a month and a half before the season starter. That's the point. Period. End. Finito.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333627754' post='1115710']

where the hell did you pull any of that crap from?

My point wasn't that hard to follow. It's laid out in the first sentence.

Nowhere do I say Simpson should be the #1 (in fact I even made an effort to point out that's NOT what I'm suggesting).

Gruden's still learning how to use these guys, whether it be Simpson, Gresham, Shipley, Hawkins or Tate. He didn't have much offseason with these guys, only getting them about a month and a half before the season starter. That's the point. Period. End. Finito.
[/quote]

How can you not be suggesting him to be used as the #1 when in fact you made it a point to say that when he was, he "went off for big games." You made a ridiculous point to suggest that Simpson was worth being the #1 WR then tried to hedge your argument by saying, "Not saying Simpson should have been the #1 over Green, but maybe his role needed tweaking in the offense."

You can't have something both ways, and saying Simpson needed an expanded role in the offense was to only take away from Green's role, which you suggested by stating how much better Simpson played when considered the #1 WR.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1333628028' post='1115715']

How can you not be suggesting him to be used as the #1 when in fact you made it a point to say that when he was, he "went off for big games." You made a ridiculous point to suggest that Simpson was worth being the #1 WR then tried to hedge your argument by saying that "Not saying Simpson should have been the #1 over Green, but maybe his role needed tweaking in the offense."

You can't have something both ways, and saying Simpson needed an expanded role in the offense was to only take away from Green's role, which you suggested by stating how much better Simpson played when considered the #1 WR.
[/quote]

holy hell :facepalm:

Let's try to dumb this down for you: When Gruden changed up the type of routes Simpson ran, Simpson put up better numbers. Therefore, MAYBE Gruden is still learning how to best use Simpson's talents as a #2. Just like how Gresham's role in the offense evolved as the season went on and played out wide more.

You won't find anywhere where I said Simpson was worth being the #1 WR. That's just shitty reading comprehension on your part. I also never said Simpson's role should be "expanded". I said "tweaked" as you even quote yourself.

It's kind of ridiculous it took more than 1 post to explain it to you (and I have a feeling we aren't done in that department)

Even with all of the talk about Jerome's rare athletic ability, him being a 3 year player, his coming out party at the end of 2010 season and so called big games as a #1 WR, the Bengals didn't blink an eye about taking a receiver in the #4 spot of the draft last year. They didn't even have a QB and they still drafted a WR.

That pretty much told me what the coaches thought of Jerome's potential.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333628363' post='1115716']

holy hell :facepalm:

Let's try to dumb this down for you: When Gruden changed up the type of routes Simpson ran, Simpson put up better numbers. Therefore, MAYBE Gruden is still learning how to best use Simpson's talents as a #2. Just like how Gresham's role in the offense evolved as the season went on and played out wide more.

You won't find anywhere where I said Simpson was worth being the #1 WR. That's just shitty reading comprehension on your part. I also never said Simpson's role should be "expanded". I said "tweaked" as you even quote yourself.

It's kind of ridiculous it took more than 1 post to explain it to you (and I have a feeling we aren't done in that department)
[/quote]

Look you can try to sugar coat it all you want and try to say I am the one reading it wrong, but you said it. Everyone else can see you said it. The only thing ridiculous here is that you suggesting that Simpson be treated like a #1 WR so that he can "go off for big games." In my opinion forget Simpson, and give me a player that is going to play well no matter what opporutnity he is given.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1333628594' post='1115720']

Look you can try to sugar coat it all you want and try to say I am the one reading it wrong, but you said it. Everyone else can see you said it. The only thing ridiculous here is that you suggesting that Simpson be treated like a #1 WR so that he can "go off for big games." In my opinion forget Simpson, and give me a player that is going to play well no matter what opporutnity he is given.
[/quote]

lol k dude :shrug:

Archived