Picture the following scenario....

You are Marvin Lewis in the draft war room, and the 17th pick is up. The two players rated highest on the Bengals board are Luke Kuechly and Stephon Gilmore. You have to make a choice between these two players based on 'best player available'.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the above scenario, who do you select with the Bengals' 17th pick?

• Luke Kuechly - The HIGHER RATED player on your board at a position of LESS NEED, 'once in a few years' prospect, could step in and play from start, I (Marvin Lewis) am still looking for the next Ray Lewis
    • Stephon Gilmore - The LESSER RATED player on your board at a position of GREATER NEED, will be groomed as a nickle corner in the beginning and brought in gradually, I (Marvin Lewis) need a young corner to improve depth at the position

I just dont see Luke as a "once in a few years" prospect. Granted I dont watch a ton of film, but based on everything I read and hear hes just not enough of a playmaker to be a big time MLB. He might be solid, but I think Rey could possibly be as well with a full offseason at MLB under Zim.

Agreed that it's a faulty premise. Anyone who rates Kuechly as a rare talent is smitten with his stats and combine numbers - but hasn't actually watched him play. He's a pursuit LB and you want a MLB who's going to be a downhill force (Rey Lewis, I believe you cited). Perhaps some teams will fall in love with his measurables, but doubt any that watch his game tape will do so to the extent that all of the internet draftniks have... I'd rather grab Kendricks in the top of the 2nd or (ojala) at 53.

The more I think about it, unless someone like Barron or Cox or DeCastro falls to us, it would be great to nab Gilmore and then trade down from that second pick and nab another 2 or 3. There is lots of immediate-starter quality 2nd round talent among the Guards, WR's, RB's, and ILB's this year and we'd do well to add another pick somewhere in that range...

Funny but the vids of Kuechley I watched, shows to me he is a playmaker. The comparison with Maualuga is that - Rey is better downhill especially blitzing the qb, whereas Kuechly is not really a blitzer, but more instinctive, and is much better in coverage. I'm just thinking Rey's coverage liabilities have really screwed our defense from time to time. I say leave the blitzing to Howard or Lawson and have a mlb that is more adept in coverage than the one we currently have. Kuechly is more durable and a better person off the field and would be a better role model for the team to build around on and off the field. I'm not siding Kuechly but just throwing Kuechly's argument out there...

In summary I think, looking at the obvious, Maualuga is more of a big play maker with highlight reel hits in his mo, but looking between the lines, Kuechly is more instinctive and more consistent on a down-to-down basis and doesn't get caught out nearly as much.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1334836515' post='1119512']
Funny but the vids of Kuechley I watched, shows to me he is a playmaker. The comparison with Maualuga is that - Rey is better downhill especially blitzing the qb, whereas Kuechly is not really a blitzer, but more instinctive, [b]and is much better in coverage. [/b] I'm just thinking Rey's coverage liabilities have really screwed our defense from time to time. Leave the blitzing to Howard or Lawson and have a mlb that is more adept in coverage than the one we currently have.
[/quote]

people keep saying that, but I've yet to watch a game of kuechly's where he was consistently good in coverage. A play or two here and there, but I've seen him get abused, and often targeted, in the passing game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334836894' post='1119513']

people keep saying that, but I've yet to watch a game of kuechly's where he was consistently good in coverage. A play or two here and there, but I've seen him get abused, and often targeted, in the passing game.
[/quote]
Yes but I think he has more potential in coverage than alot of LB's coming out imo. Have you seen the Miami vid on youtube?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334836894' post='1119513']

[/quote]

I don't like him in coverage either. It's like he refuses to look around him. He eyes that QB or RB and stays in the same spot just waiting to go to the ball. After he finds out where it's at, he's probably getting there faster than most.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1334837908' post='1119516']
Yes but I think he has more potential in coverage than alot of LB's coming out imo. Have you seen the Miami vid on youtube?
[/quote]
From what I understand, that was one one of his better games.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1334837908' post='1119516']
[/quote]

yea. He had the nice play against streeter, but that's the only good pass coverage play of his I can remember. If you watch the clemson game, they actually targeted him 1-2 times.

Once again Mike Mayock says hes the best coverage MLB he has seen in years, but some guys watch a few you tube video and think they know more. It's not just Mayock its the majority of draft experts that think he's good in coverage. If you don't wanna draft him fine, but don't make shit up.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1334838778' post='1119520']
Once again Mike Mayock says hes the best coverage MLB he has seen in years, but some guys watch a few you tube video and think they know more. It's not just Mayock its the majority of draft experts that think he's good in coverage. If you don't wanna draft him fine, but don't make shit up.
[/quote]

bite me. We're all just sharing our opinions and impressions. No one is saying they are right, or an expert at anything.

If you want to draft him fine. But don't act like a bitch just because you can't handle that others don't share your opinion. You're doing the exact same thing with other prospects (and current nfl players) that we're doing with Kuechly. Difference is, we're talking about a player you like.

Given the senario as presented. I think the Bengals would go with the higher rated player.

The problem with the senario is it doesn't give insight on the disparity of grades.

If it's close but Luke is slightly rated higher, then you go with Gilmore as CB is more of a franchise position.

But if they are grading Luke out as Franchise type player at his position, then it's him all day long.

No one is acting like a bitch you are just a stupid talent evaluator who spends all day on this website arguing your points because you probably don't have a job. I said Rivers and Simpson suck, now they are no longer Bengals. Your boy Maualuga will be next after this year. I don't care who agrees with me Kuechly, but let's by accurate about his scouting. It's like saying Gilmore is terrible in run defense, when he is actually a hard hitting cb with good tackling skills.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1334841199' post='1119532']
No one is acting like a bitch you are just a stupid talent evaluator who spends all day on this website arguing your points because you probably don't have a job. I said Rivers and Simpson suck, now they are no longer Bengals. Your boy Maualuga will be next after this year. I don't care who agrees with me Kuechly, but let's by accurate about his scouting. It's like saying Gilmore is terrible in run defense, when he is actually a hard hitting cb with good tackling skills.
[/quote]

:lol: awesome response. Spoken by someone with no valid response.

Good to know you can evaluate players, but the rest of us aren't entitled to our opinions. ;)

Hypocrite.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1334841199' post='1119532']No one is acting like a bitch you are just a stupid talent evaluator who spends all day on this website arguing your points because you probably don't have a job. I said Rivers and Simpson suck, now they are no longer Bengals. Your boy Maualuga will be next after this year. I don't care who agrees with me Kuechly, but let's by accurate about his scouting. It's like saying Gilmore is terrible in run defense, when he is actually a hard hitting cb with good tackling skills.[/quote]

Man, you've said everybody on the team sucks for the most part. At some point, some of those guys will and have been replaced. Doesn't make you the dean of talent evaluators, just the king of saying people suck.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1334805819' post='1119494']
I'm really starting to think that if they get a guy they want at 17, we're gonna see them trade down from 21 to a later first round pick.
[/quote]

It could definitely happen that way, but as always, depends who is on their board. If they are enamored with a few guys that are there at 17 and 21, they pull the trigger, but if they have a bunch of guys clustered from a value standpoint, they may trade down. The team I was thinking *might* consider moving would be NE, if there's a pass rusher there. if so, using the ol' draft value chart, they could get their end of first round pick and get a late 2nd besides. Since NE typically moves back, I think it's unlikely, but you never know.

That way, they could grab interior OL, CB, WR and DL. I really don't see them taking a RB early, but could see a change of pace guy like Pead or Rainey in the 3rd round or later.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1334840416' post='1119528']
Given the senario as presented. I think the Bengals would go with the higher rated player.

The problem with the senario is it doesn't give insight on the disparity of grades.

If it's close but Luke is slightly rated higher, then you go with Gilmore as CB is more of a franchise position.

But if they are grading Luke out as Franchise type player at his position, then it's him all day long.
[/quote]

Exactly. Really depends on the rating. If it's very close, they would likely go with the greater need.

Problem has been in the past (possible examples: Mark Roman, Keiwan Ratliff), they probably reached too far at a position when there was significantly higher value available at other position(s).

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1334844287' post='1119548']

It could definitely happen that way, but as always, depends who is on their board. If they are enamored with a few guys that are there at 17 and 21, they pull the trigger, but if they have a bunch of guys clustered from a value standpoint, they may trade down. The team I was thinking *might* consider moving would be NE, if there's a pass rusher there. if so, using the ol' draft value chart, they could get their end of first round pick and get a late 2nd besides. Since NE typically moves back, I think it's unlikely, but you never know.

That way, they could grab interior OL, CB, WR and DL. I really don't see them taking a RB early, but could see a change of pace guy like Pead or Rainey in the 3rd round or later.
[/quote]

yea I could see them landing a CB or OL at 17 and then trading down from 21 to the late first to target a RB, DE or WR while picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I think it would be great if the pats were in love with say upshaw or perry and want to move up from 27 to 21.

Archived