All Things Training Camp Thread

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1343685737' post='1141768']
I believe Tigris is the one who has been saying this for some time but I really don't feel good about Taylor Mays being a starter on this defense. He doesn't have the necessary flexibility, change of direction, fluidity of motion to be a successful safety in the NFL. At least he's being counted on as a SS as opposed to a FS but in Zimmer's defense...they need to be interchangeable almost. Honestly, safety is the only position on defense I don't feel good about. Maybe LB but I think we're fine for 2012-13 there.
[/quote]

Zimmer has wanted him since he entered the draft.
He tried to trade up for him. He finally did trade for him.
He cut Chris Crocker because of Mays.

Mays will be fine. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1343689160' post='1141779']
[/quote]

Yeh, I wouldn't worry too much about him getting burned by Sanu. That's a mismatch.

Sounds like a good day of practice overall, I'm jealous of all y'all who made it down there.

[/quote]
how big is Mays? I wonder if it would make sense to have him play lb in the nickel and then Clements or Allen play safety while Newman comes in to play the opposite corner to Hall. Whether out of necessity or luxury, I see this roster having so much more versatility than any I can ever remember

[/quote]

I certainly hope so but sometimes coaches are wrong too. I absolutely will enjoy the show and hope that Mays tears it up because if he plays well...this defense could be scary.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1343690398' post='1141783']
I certainly hope so but sometimes coaches are wrong too. I absolutely will enjoy the show and hope that Mays tears it up because if he plays well...this defense could be scary.
[/quote]

Well I said this to Tigris once before .... Mays is just a football player.
Tigris said he seems like just an athlete to him, then goes on to talk
about how unathletic he is in with stiff hips or whatever.

I just don't believe Zimmer would covet him so much if he didn't have
a plan for Mays to be an integral part of that scary Defense.

And Coaches might be wrong, but Zimmer never is. :3:

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1343690106' post='1141782']
how big is Mays? I wonder if it would make sense to have him play lb in the nickel and then Clements or Allen play safety while Newman comes in to play the opposite corner to Hall. Whether out of necessity or luxury, I see this roster having so much more versatility than any I can ever remember
[/quote]

6' 3", 230 lbs

[size=6][b]Full pads brings excitement to Bengals[/b][/size]
By Jay Morrison

Staff Writer

By Jay Morrison

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI – For the first time since their Jan. 7 wildcard playoff loss to the Houston Texans, the Cincinnati Bengals were in full pads Monday afternoon at training camp.

“You can feel the excitement,” defensive tackle Domata Peko said. “Everybody’s excited to get banging. During the offseason all you do is lift weights and run around and stuff like that. Now we get to actually play some football.”

After early stretching and some position group work, head coach Marvin Lewis gathered the players for the Oklahoma Drill.

“Here we go, here we go. This is what we came here for,” Lewis yelled before pitting defensive end Carlos Dunlap against tackle Andre Smith in the first head-to-head matchup, which Smith won impressively.

“There’s zero contact basically until that (drill),” Lewis said. “It kind of kicks things off. Guys are wondering who is going to bully who. You get a chance to let them go one-on-one and put it on tape.”

A matchup that drew some “oohs” from the players when it was announced was rookie guard Eric Zeitler against middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, although it failed to produce a clear-cut winner.

“The only way I ever consider those wins is when you have complete control and drive them 20 yards,” Zeitler said. “They said I was low, so that’s always a good point. I don’t know. I’ve got to see it on film.”

In addition to full contact, a pair of key players also returned to the practice field as wide receiver Jordan Shipley and cornerback Nate Clements were activated from the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Shipley hadn’t taken part in any team drills since suffering an ACL/MCL tear in his left knee in the second game of the 2011 season at Denver, while Clements missed all of minicamp and OTAs with an abdominal strain.

“It feels good,” Shipley said after practice. “I’m just glad to be back out there. Honestly, I didn’t really know what the plan was. I didn’t make the plan. They re-evaluated me (Monday morning) and said it looked like it was time to go.”

Shipley did position work and some 7-on-7 drills, but did not take part in any full-contact, 11-on-11 action. Clements followed the same routine.

“I’ll look at it on film, but I felt really good in and out of my breaks,” he said.

When asked if he will be able to play in Saturday’s intra-squad scrimmage, Clements said he wasn’t sure.

“I don’t know what they’re going to have me do,” he said. “I’m gradually progressing. Whatever they want me to do, I’m going to do it.”

Monday’s practice drew the smallest crowd of camp thus far with 1,100 fans. Today’s practice will be 3-4:45 p.m., followed by an off day Wednesday. Thursday the team will move inside Paul Brown Stadium for the first time, practicing from 6-8 p.m.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/full-pads-brings-excitement-to-bengals/nP63j/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[b] [size=6][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/07/30/day-4-the-day-at-camp/"]Day 4: The Day at Camp[/url][/size][/b]

[list]
[*]07/30/12 at 7:23pm
[*]Written by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email]
[/list]

[b]THE SCENE:[/b] On the first day of a Bengals practice and Reds game, there were 1,100 passes distributed for the afternoon session on the practice fields. During the four sessions on the practice fields, the average attendance has been 1,425.

[b]INJURIES:[/b] Did not practice — DE Robert Geathers (knee), WR Brandon Tate (hamstring), CB Shaun Prater (undetermined), DE Michael Johnson (non-football related), S Robert Sands (undetermined), LB Dontay Moch (undetermined); Active/Non-Football Injury — CB Dre Kirkpatrick (knee); Active/Physically Unable to Perform — DT Pat Sims (ankle), K Mike Nugent (hamstring); Limited (participated in everything but 11-on-11 — WR Jordan Shipley, CB Terence Newman, CB Adam Jones, CB Nate Clements.

[b]OKLAHOMA DAY:[/b] The first full padded practice of Bengals camp also meant the return of the Oklahoma Drill. It was also the most animated we have seen head coach Marvin Lewis during camp as he shouted at the beginning of the drill: “Here we go! Here we go! This is what we came here for!”

Among some of the more interesting pairings were Kevin Zeitler vs. Rey Maualuga, Chris Pressley vs. Dan Skuta, Vontaze Burfict vs. Dennis Roland and Andrew Whitworth vs. Manny Lawson.

“There’s zero contact basically until that. It kind of kicks things off,” Lewis said. “Guys are wondering like who is going to bully who. You get a chance to let them go one on one and put it on tape.”

The highlight block of the day goes to offensive tackle Andre Smith, who pancaked defensive end Carlos Dunlap. For Dunlap to become an every-down player, he needs to improve as a run stopper.

“Good technique by Andre, not as a good by Carlos,” Lewis said.

[b]PLAYS OF NOTE:[/b] Jeromy Miles had an interception on a tipped pass by Vontaze Burfict on a throw by Tyler Hansen. … Newman, Shipley, Andrew Hawkins and Marvin Jones were fielding punts. Newman had an interesting day as he dropped one and then fell on one after fumbling it. … Mohamed Sanu caught a bomb from Bruce Gradkowski near the left front corner of the end zone. …Armon Binns was able to get separation and hauled in a Dalton pass on a crossing route to the middle of the field.

[b]QUOTE OF THE DAY:[/b] “All of our young guys, you can see why they are here. You see why those guys were drafted. They were all physical. The two receivers (Marvin Jones and Sanu), (George) Iloka.” – Lewis with more on the Oklahoma Drill

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/07/30/day-4-the-day-at-camp/"]http://cincinnati.co...he-day-at-camp/[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1343687597' post='1141772']
Man the offense OWNED the Oklahoma Drill. I'm not sure a single defensive player won in that video.
[/quote]
I recorded it off NFL Network. Offense won their share, even a few times & a lot of pulling & grabbing jersey's by offensive guys. I thought the best was Orson Charles and Lamur. Otis got into a little scrap with [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/Vaughan-Meatoga/baebcc62-ec3c-445c-a610-71edaf392331"]Vaughan[/url] [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/Vaughan-Meatoga/baebcc62-ec3c-445c-a610-71edaf392331"]Meatoga[/url]. And A J crushed Miles
Best D guys were Adam Jones over Marvin Jones and Jason Allen over Marvin Jones.

D wins IMO . . Lawson over Whitt, Skuta over Press, Geno over cook, rey over press, Nelson over binns, Thompson over Bolling, Leon over Whalen, Iloka over Sanu, Muck over brooks, Ghee over Moore

[size=6][b]Notes: Shipley and Clements back; Rookies show up to hit[/b][/size]

Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com

Updated: 8:10 p.m.

Jordan Shipley said don't be surprised if he practiced in Monday's workout in full pads on the grass fields across the street from Paul Brown Stadium.

Rehabbing from an ACL tear, it would be Shipley's first time in pads since he and Tim Tebow both ran pass routes before Shipley got hurt in the Sept. 18 loss in Denver.

And even though he didn't put on the full regalia and wore only the light shoulder pads, or "shells," Shipley did get in his first training camp action in front of a crowd of about 1,100. They kept him out of team drills, but he did work in individuals and seven-on-seven, as well as some one-on-ones after practice. He passed his physical Monday and expects to be put in team drills in Tuesday's 3 p.m. practice on the grass fields.

So it now means that at least two pretty good receivers are going to get cut if everybody stays healthy because once a player steps on the field in preseason to practice, he can't be put on the physically unable to perform list (PUP) at the start of the season.

Shipley is the most experienced slot receiver at a position that is jammed with Andrew Hawkins, Ryan Whalen, and third-rounder Mohammed Sanu. Gunning for the spot opposite Pro Bowler A.J. Green are Armon Binns, Brandon Tate and fifth-rounder Marvin Jones, among others. But there are your top eight.

Shipley is the oldest guy in the receiver room at 26 and seven months and has the most career catches by anyone not Green. Name the only current active receiver that played with Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens in 2010 and you get Shipley.

"This is the best group of receivers we've had. We've got a lot guys that can play," Shipley said.

Shipley worked with cornerbacks Terence Newman and Adam Jones on releases after practice and said it felt good. He figures if he can do that, he'll be OK.

"The routes are pretty easy because you've got the muscle memory," he said. "But the stuff where you have to improv, that's the last thing you work on."

Shipley says this tear is worse than the one he had in college, which was just the ACL. This time it was the MCL, too, along with other issues, and there was more scar tissue so he had to wait longer for the surgery.

"But once I get out there, I don't think about it," Shipley said. "I'm ready to go now."

He returns to a position group much different than what he left in 2011. Once at a loss for slot guys as Andre Caldwell struggled with injuries, they are all over the place now.

"Thank God I don't have to make that decision. I'm just going to keep my head down, keep working and try to keep this thing going," Hawkins said.

"This thing," was one of the best feel-good stories of last year when the 5-7 Hawkins came out of the CFL and off the practice squad when Shipley got hurt and contributed 23 catches and played gunner on punts and played on kickoffs for coverage teams that finished in the top ten in the NFL.

It's going to be quite a roster tussle with a proven guy like Shipley. Hawkins' value has been obvious right out of the gate in the first three practices of camp. Running as the first-team slot, he's made a bunch of catches in the middle in showing nice chemistry with quarterback Andy Dalton. Plus, he's catching punts and kicks with special teams coach Darrin Simmons casting an eye to dusting him off and using him for the first time there.

When he dropped back to return a punt in last year's preseason, it was the first time Hawkins had done it since Johnstown High School in Pennsylvania. He took it 32 yards, but the Bengals were set with Brandon Tate during the regular season. Now Simmons wants to see if Hawkins' mega quickness can be used other than on cover teams

"Catching punts is the same thing for everything else. It's concentration," Hawkins said. "They have to have trust in me and I have to have confidence in my abilities. Before that game in the preseason, Darrin worked with me every day before and after practice and had me prepared and that's what we're doing now."

Hawkins also gives offensive coordinator Jay Gruden a plethora of options with his quickness. Several times he lined up Hawkins in the backfield last year to get matchups he wanted, i.e. his 25-yard catch working against Steelers Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu.

"It's not so much me as much as Jay being so creative and knowing what guys do best," Hawkins said. "We just give him 100 percent trust. He draws it up, it's amazing, and it works to a tee."

OKLAHOMA, WHERE….: As usual on the first day of pads, the Oklahoma Drill came out early Monday and head coach Marvin Lewis exulted by bellowing some his special matchups: "Zeitler and Maualuga!" pitting his rookie right guard against his middle linebacker as the defender tried to fight through the blocker to tackle the back.

"Those are two guys we're counting on to be strong to be strong in the middle," Lewis said. "Rey realized what I was doing. We want the offensive line to see what Zeitler can do.

"It's fun. It's the first chance they get to run into each other. They've had zero contact…Who's going to be tougher than the other guy? That's the fun part of it."

Right tackle Andre Smith absolutely buried left end Carlos Dunlap on his back.

"Nice technique by Andre," Lewis said, "Not as good by Carlos because when he had to release, Andre's athletic enough to stay attached to him."

Center Kyle Cook and Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins teed off. It looked like Cook held his own against the strongest man on the team. As Lewis said, "It's an offensive drill."

Lewis liked how the rookies showed up. "You see why they're here," he said. "The two receivers (Marvin Jones and Sanu) and (safety George) Iloka (were physical). It was good to see."

It looked like Zeitler and Maualuga reached some kind of stalemate as the back slithered by, but Zeitler wasn't sure and said he was about to watch it on his iPad in a few minutes.

"I don’t know. They said I stayed low," Zeitler said. "I don't consider (neutralizing) a win. To me to win those you have to control them and drive those 20 yards down field."

Well, that's not going to happen in the NFL, but Zeitler felt like he responded to the instructions. When Lewis called out him and Maualuga, Zeitler wasn't sure if they wanted him to walk up the mike backer or "pound up," and Zeitler pounded up head-to-head."

Yes, even Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green took a snap and mixed it up, but that's about all.

"No. 18 had a nice stalemate," Lewis said with a smile. "Once he got his one in, I could breathe a sigh of relief. You're good for the rest of camp."

CORNERS RETURN: After they were devastated Sunday with nagging injuries, they got everybody back in some way or another except for rookie Shaun Prater as he battles some knee issues and rookie Dre Kirkpatrick (leg) continues to work on his upper body and conditioning on the side.

But Nate Clements returned to the field for the first time since the '11 finale on Monday. He didn't do team stuff and he's not sure how slowly they're going to bring him back or if he'll play in Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage.

But after missing all of spring ball with a pulled abdominal muscle, he felt happy just to be running around in 7-on-7 and individuals. He just missed making a pick off of cornerback Leon Hall's tip.

"I felt really good getting in and out of my breaks," Clements said. "I've been going pretty hard the last couple of days in shoulder pads on the other field just to really work it. It felt great."

Adam Jones, who had a calf bruise, and Terence Newman, who was sore, worked for some segments of the practice but not all. Leon Hall, who rested his Achilles on Sunday, worked Monday.

The club's take on the injuries in the last 24 hours seems to have softened and they think they can get by without signing any more corners for the moment.

BURFICT LEARNING: One of those rookies Lewis liked was middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict. His set against rookie tight end Bryce Davis was better than his match against massive 6-9 veteran right tackle Dennis Roland, but his most impressive thing Monday came during a play in 11-on-11.

He stayed too long on the collar of running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis trying to yank him to the turf on a run. And as The Law Firm went down, center Kyle Cook tried to get Burfict off The Firm with a push. Burfict started to make a move on Cook, but stopped as other players got in the way and they tapped each other on their helmets as they went back to their huddles and left tackle Andrew Whitworth put an arm around Burfict.

Burfict had composure problems at Arizona State, but on Monday he came through on his vow that he's a smarter player.

And earlier in the practice he got his hand on a ball that turned into a tipped interception for safety Jeromy Miles.

CATCHERS: After the first four practices, quarterback Andy Dalton's most reliable hands people at receiver besides Green seem to be Hawkins, Whalen, and Sanu. For the second time this camp, Marvin Jones got great separation but seemed to misjudge Dalton's bomb and had it go right through his hands over the shoulder.

DALTON TAKE: Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton came into training camp trying to improve his deep accuracy and after the first three practices there hasn't been much to write home about. Not that Dalton has been bad, but the offense hasn't done all that much of it.

Yet.

"It's early. We've thrown just a couple of 'gos' and haven't had the best looks against them, but we're still trying to take those shots," Dalton said before Monday's practice. "We haven't taken that many in the team drills. I know we've done some with just the receivers. It will come. We're just installing and making sure what we're doing."

There should be a pretty good look in Monday's pads with a couple of the veteran cornerbacks expected to be back to practice.

SLANTS AND SCREENS

» Offensive line coach Paul Alexander says Clint Boling has had a good camp backing up center and both guards after a solid offseason.

"Clint's worked hard on his flexibility. He's made tremendous physical improvements," said Alexander, who wanted him to get stronger. "Backup center is still a question."

Alexander has Boling and rookie right guard Kevin Zeitler working behind Kyle Cook, as is Notre Dame free-agent rookie Trevor Robinson in his bid to make the practice squad.

_Leave it to Albert Breer of NFL Network. He comes in for one day and deciphers the small "DNO" lettering on the back of some practice T-shirts. One player told Breer it stands for Destination: New Orleans. Marvin Lewis code for going to the Super Bowl.

_Left guard Travelle Wharton showed his nine-year NFL toughness Sunday night when he got his ankle rolled early in practice, but he only missed the rest of that period. Otis Hudson, who, like Boling, is backing up both guards, went in for Wharton.

_The North ticket window at PBS is open from 10-12 a.m. for passes to Tuesday's practice from 3-5 p.m. on the grass fields. They're off Wednesday before the unlimited seating inside PBS at the 6-8 Thursday night practice.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Shipley-and-Clements-back-Rookies-show-up-to-hit/9ea83a12-da4b-4405-8c0c-86845c8b939a

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1343690829' post='1141785']
Well I said this to Tigris once before .... Mays is just a football player.
Tigris said he seems like just an athlete to him, then goes on to talk
about how unathletic he is in with stiff hips or whatever.
I just don't believe Zimmer would covet him so much if he didn't have
a plan for Mays to be an integral part of that scary Defense.
And Coaches might be wrong, but Zimmer never is. :3:
[/quote]

He's a freak but his agility lacks. Straight line, he's amazing. Strength, explosiveness, amazing. Maybe even side to side he'll put up a decent time BUT when his hips are unbalanced, when he has to drop his hips, plant a foot, push and change his bodily direction on a dime, it's not happening. You can't teach that. That's a piece of athletic ability that he doesn't have... probably the most important piece when playing defensive back. Doug Martin has it.... watch him blow up next year.

I've been saying it since he was drafted a couple years ago and nothing has changed. Zimmer can want the guy, trade for him, whatever, but Zimmer can't always be right. If he was he'd have the #1 defense in the NFL year after year.

If I were a defensive coordinator, I'd like to have Mays. He's be perfect in the box, maybe blitzing off the edge, maybe a flats zone or maybe even a contain guy. I love the dude on special teams too... I just wouldn't put him back there covering half the field. In my opinion, it's defensive suicide.

I'm only a fan though and Zimmer has forgot more than I'll never know but I'll stand by this until I see otherwise.

And by the way...

Earl Thomas > Taylor Mays

Hahahaha... that was a fun debate.

Dave Lapham - 07-30-2012 09:24 PM

The first couple of days at camp Newman was as good as anyone the Bengals had at corner. There is a lot of mutual respect between Zimmer and Newman. When Zimmer was DC at Dallas Newman had his best years. It looks like Newman is much more confident and playing with more consistent technique than he was in Dallas recently. The change of scenery and reuniting with a coach you enjoyed success with has seemed to agree with Newman.

http://footballpros.com/content.php/1508-Bengals-CBs-Nearing-Full-Strength

[size=6][b] Bengals Quick Hits: Training camp -- Day 4[/b][/size]

By Paul Dehner Jr. | CBSSports.com July 30, 2012 5:50 pm ET

[b]Oklahoma moves north[/b]: One of the oldest drills in football, the Oklahoma drill, served as the highlight of Monday afternoon's practice. For the first day in pads, Marvin Lewis lined up offensive blockers on defensive players one-on-one to see who could clear a lane for the running back. The drill drew fame two years ago when the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals"]Bengals[/url] used it while Hard Knocks filmed.

Among the big winners from the battles this year was rookie TE [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1707633/orson-charles"]Orson Charles[/url], who showed off strength in moving around linebackers. Mammoth 335-pound tackle [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1255104/andre-smith"]Andre Smith[/url] bullied 280-pound [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273172/carlos-dunlap"]Carlos Dunlap[/url] in one of the most anticipated matchups of the day. The drill exposed a concern for Dunlap, who must improve at the point of attack if he wants to be an every-down defensive end instead of just a pass-rush specialist.

[b]Zeitler checks in[/b]: Rookie offensive lineman Kevin Zeitler eagerly awaited the first day in pads to judge where he stacks up in the trenches against the Bengals defensive tackles when full contact takes place. He held his own against LB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/559367/rey-maualuga"]Rey Maualuga[/url] and rookie DT [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1272618/devon-still"]Devon Still[/url] in the Oklahoma drill but said the better judgment came in the 11-on-11 sessions.

"You got Geno (Atkins), who is one of the top of the line," the first-round pick said. "That is a good measuring point. (Domata) Peko is also a very good measuring point."

How did he feel he measured up against those two?

"I still got a ways to go," he said. "They are something else, and I'll get there."

[b]Shipley returns[/b]: WR [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/517045/jordan-shipley"]Jordan Shipley[/url] tore his ACL in the second week of the regular season last year and was finally cleared for practice Monday. The move pulls him off the active PUP and eliminates any chance he would miss the first six weeks of the season because of the injury. He participated in everything except the 11-on-11 session on Monday but has been told he will be full-go in every portion of practice Tuesday.

"I didn't really know what the plan was and I didn't make the plan, obviously," he said. "They re-evaluated me today and said it looks like it would be time to go."

He'll jump into a crowded battle at the slot receiver position. [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1664646/mohamed-sanu"]Mohamed Sanu[/url], [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1803774/andrew-hawkins"]Andrew Hawkins[/url] and [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1244509/ryan-whalen"]Ryan Whalen[/url] are all competing to work inside as well.

"[I] said the whole time this is the best receivers I think we've had," he said. "We've got a lot of competition. That's a good thing for our team -- everybody can play."

[b]Binns makes most of time[/b]: WR [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1245841/armon-binns"]Armon Binns[/url] showed off the potential coaches have been speaking about since OTAs. The receiver who earned the team's attention on the practice squad last year made CB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/405466/jason-allen"]Jason Allen[/url] look bad on a deep slant he took for a long gain and also made an acrobatic catch on the sideline. He's making the most of an injury to [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/563223/brandon-tate"]Brandon Tate[/url] that has allowed him to work all the first-team reps alongside [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673207/aj-green"]A.J. Green[/url].

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19690291/bengals-quick-hits-training-camp-day-4

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer"][b]Albert Breer[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]AlbertBreer[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Bengals report coming later in the week, but I'll tell you now -- Tough not to be REALLY impressed with the kind of guy Andy Dalton is.[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1343742830' post='1141894']

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer"][b]Albert Breer[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]AlbertBreer[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Bengals report coming later in the week, but I'll tell you now -- Tough not to be REALLY impressed with the kind of guy Andy Dalton is.[/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Dalton, Green, BJGE, Gresham, Geno, Peko, Geathers, Howard, Newman, Hall, Nelson, Whitworth, Zeitler, Cook, Wharton, Shipley... what a bunch of hard workers.

How much better is this than Carson, Rudi, Chad, TJ, Willie, Levi Jones, Chris Henry, and the entire gang or arrested players we once had... it just creates a better atmosphere and to me, as a fan, it makes it easier to root for someone who isn't an issue in one form or another.

I just love this new team. It's going to be a good season.

Who Dey !!!

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1343702545' post='1141853']
He's a freak but his agility lacks. Straight line, he's amazing. Strength, explosiveness, amazing. Maybe even side to side he'll put up a decent time BUT when his hips are unbalanced, when he has to drop his hips, plant a foot, push and change his bodily direction on a dime, it's not happening. You can't teach that. That's a piece of athletic ability that he doesn't have... probably the most important piece when playing defensive back. Doug Martin has it.... watch him blow up next year.

I've been saying it since he was drafted a couple years ago and nothing has changed. Zimmer can want the guy, trade for him, whatever, but Zimmer can't always be right. If he was he'd have the #1 defense in the NFL year after year.

If I were a defensive coordinator, I'd like to have Mays. He's be perfect in the box, maybe blitzing off the edge, maybe a flats zone or maybe even a contain guy. I love the dude on special teams too... I just wouldn't put him back there covering half the field. In my opinion, it's defensive suicide.

I'm only a fan though and Zimmer has forgot more than I'll never know but I'll stand by this until I see otherwise.

And by the way...

Earl Thomas > Taylor Mays

Hahahaha... that was a fun debate.
[/quote]

I'll just have to wait til the season starts. Nothing I can say right now til Mays takes the field
and blows it up himself.

Earl Thomas had 2 other Pro Bowlers playing back there with him this past year.

But again, I can't say much until Mays proves you wrong on the field. At the moment,
all the Mays haters have all the ammo.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1343743529' post='1141897']
I'll just have to wait til the season starts. Nothing I can say right now til Mays takes the field
and blows it up himself.

Earl Thomas had 2 other Pro Bowlers playing back there with him this past year.

But again, I can't say much until Mays proves you wrong on the field. At the moment,
all the Mays haters have all the ammo.
[/quote]

Honestly, I was waiting for you to blast me and call me an idiot... so that's awesome that didn't happen. :)

I'm sure hoping Mays comes in and dislocates shoulders back there while still being able to make a play on the ball and cover wide receivers. Regardless of how he does, at least we'll be hoping for the same thing. I love the idea of Nate Clements back there though. He's my pick to start right if I had to make the decision.

Leon, Allen/Newman/Pacman, Reggie, and Nate... that would be amazing with Mays rotating in at safety in certain packages. Dime package....

Nate and Nelson, Leon and Pacman, Newman and Ghee/Kirkpatrick inside... Maybe switch up Pacman and Ghee... Ghee seems more of an outside guy to me. Still, cool deal... we're in a lot better shape than I thought we would be with Leon coming back full go and Ghee turning heads.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1343743524' post='1141896']
Dalton, Green, BJGE, Gresham, Geno, Peko, Geathers, Howard, Newman, Hall, Nelson, Whitworth, Zeitler, Cook, Wharton, Shipley... what a bunch of hard workers.

How much better is this than Carson, Rudi, Chad, TJ, Willie, Levi Jones, Chris Henry, and the entire gang or arrested players we once had... it just creates a better atmosphere and to me, as a fan, it makes it easier to root for someone who isn't an issue in one form or another.

I just love this new team. It's going to be a good season.

Who Dey !!!
[/quote]

Well said. It is so much more fun rooting for this group compared to that last bunch of losers. That group had a lot of talent, but zero mental toughness. (But I have nothing against Levi, Willie or TJ)

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1343694654' post='1141811']
Who wins between Nugent and Huber? In Oklahoma that is.
[/quote]

That drill is one guy stands in front of the other while kicking the ball in their crotch. First one to flinch loses.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora"][b]Jason La Canfora[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]JasonLaCanfora[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Pumped to see these young Bengals this afternoon, then its up I-75 to one of my favorite cities, The D, for the young Lions tomorrow[/background][/font][/color]

Archived