Kyle Cook done for the Season? Jeff Faine will visit tomorrow

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1346121195' post='1151791']
First step would be to move Clint Boling to center. Then you find a G/C to plug or backup LG.

I'd like to see Roland play the entire Colts game at LG and Boling get a fair bit of time at Center.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly...that's what these games are for

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1346121195' post='1151791']
First step would be to move Clint Boling to center. Then you find a G/C to plug or backup LG.

I'd like to see Roland play the entire Colts game at LG and Boling get a fair bit of time at Center.
[/quote]

Roland is just so freaking tall.. I am not convinced he will fare well at guard.. He looked decent the few snaps he was in against GB.. But it's unconventional.. I would worry about DT's getting under his pads..

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1346121294' post='1151796']

Roland is just so freaking tall.. I am not convinced he will fare well at guard.. He looked decent the few snaps he was in against GB.. But it's unconventional.. I would worry about DT's getting under his pads..
[/quote]

I thought Collins looked decent, but he was playing against backups

[/quote]
Agreed. Roland doesn't just get beat because he is slow. He gets beat because he is so big and can't get as low as the guys going up against him. He's probably not our fix.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1346120942' post='1151782']

Well obviously we will field a team.. I'm not freaking out.. But the line was already inconsistent and not quite on the same page.. Now we will be replacing our center 2 weeks before the season, and he will have rookies playing on either side of him..

It's not a good scenario.
[/quote]

While I agree it's not an optimal scenario, it's not like Dalton got hurt. That would really fuck your season. I look at it this way... last year, how was our line? I would say below average in the run game and average in the pass game. This year we've not looked too hot this preseason. Maybe change is good. And while he is young, Boling is not a rookie.

Cook came on in a situation much like Robinson. Maybe Robinson is the next guy we find... someone said he's had an awesome preseason.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1346121493' post='1151805']
While I agree it's not an optimal scenario, it's not like Dalton got hurt. That would really fuck your season. I look at it this way... last year, how was our line? I would say below average in the run game and average in the pass game. This year we've not looked too hot this preseason. Maybe change is good. And while he is young, [b]Boling is not a rookie.[/b]

Cook came on in a situation much like Robinson. Maybe Robinson is the next guy we find... someone said he's had an awesome preseason.
[/quote]

Close enough..

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1346121493' post='1151805']

While I agree it's not an optimal scenario, it's not like Dalton got hurt. That would really fuck your season. I look at it this way... last year, how was our line? I would say below average in the run game and average in the pass game. This year we've not looked too hot this preseason. Maybe change is good. And while he is young, Boling is not a rookie.

[/quote]

The local sports guys seem to like Robinson FWIW....they do attend all the practices so they would know better than us

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1346121565' post='1151807']

[b]Roland actually gets pretty low when at G. [/b]

[b]I trust Munoz who evaluated him and said he looked good. [/b]
[/quote]

Any reason you'd prefer Roland over Collins? I thought both played pretty well at G

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1346121565' post='1151807']
[b]Roland actually gets pretty low when at G. [/b]

[b]I trust Munoz who evaluated him and said he looked good. [/b]
[/quote]

Munoz saw him for a few snaps.. I'm sure even he would tell you it was far from a complete analysis.. His job on the TV is to provide color, he's not trying to actually provid e ascouting report.. Not that he couldn't do it, just that there isn't exactly a lot to go on at this point.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1346121723' post='1151809']

[b]Rolands arm length I think makes him hard to get past when at G. Has like a 7 foot wingspan. [/b]
[/quote]

May sound like a stupid assessment but I wonder if Roland's size would be a hindrance to dalton since he wouldn't be on the outside?

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1346121924' post='1151814']
[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/clubimages/articles/2012/roland120120_440.jpg[/img]

[size=5][b]It can't be easy to get past a 6'9 guard for a 6'2 DT ...[/b][/size]
[/quote]

Unless they go under him ;)

[/quote]

My worry would be Dalton seeing over him, even when he's got his knees bent. I was really pleasantly surprised at his play at guard, and I'm not a Roland fan at all. He stoned everybody, and his arm length is actually a big advantage. I don't know that he's the answer, but I'd like to see a much bigger sample size.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1346121998' post='1151817']
My worry would be Dalton seeing over him, even when he's got his knees bent. I was really pleasantly surprised at his play at guard, and I'm not a Roland fan at all. I don't know that he's the answer, but I'd like to see a much bigger sample size.
[/quote]

Better to have trouble throwing over Roland than trouble with the DL player not getting blocked and in your face.

Archived