Kyle Cook done for the Season? Jeff Faine will visit tomorrow

For some reason I'm not that worried about it. I know I'm in the minority here but our line hasn't looked too hot and we definitely can't run block worth a damn. I'm excited to see someone else man center.

Regardless, hopefully Cook isn't out all season and can make a comeback if our new C isn't cutting it.

wish we had been able to land the Jason Smith trade. He's disappointed as a tackle, but could be a quite athletic guard.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1346123221' post='1151854']
For some reason I'm not that worried about it. I know I'm in the minority here but our line hasn't looked too hot and we definitely can't run block worth a damn. I'm excited to see someone else man center.

Regardless, hopefully Cook isn't out all season and can make a comeback if our new C isn't cutting it.
[/quote]

well this IS your fault, injury cheerer. ;)

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1346122958' post='1151849']

well if you made the decision now, he'd have nearly two weeks worth of reps and playbook time to refresh himself on a position he's already learned once and likely has already gotten some practice snaps with dalton during camp.
[/quote]

But doesn't that reduce the time for some other guy--especially if you are going to have to go waiver wire next week--to get used to playing LG in this system? I guess I am back to my original thought of two changes for one position.

And sorry, BJ...Roland is no guard.

[url="https://twitter.com/Kevin_Goheen"][b]Kevin Goheen[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]Kevin_Goheen[/b][/url]
In 2006, Braham suffered broken leg. Eric Ghiaciac, then in 2nd year, started 13 of final 14 games (Eric Steinbach started other). [url="https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23Bengals"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url]

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1346123308' post='1151857']
But doesn't that reduce the time for some other guy--especially if you are going to have to go waiver wire next week--to get used to playing LG in this system? I guess I am back to my original thought of two changes for one position.

And sorry, BJ...Roland is no guard.
[/quote]

maybe, but having a good center is more important than a good guard. If you have a guy who knows the position, knows the calls, and is already in the system, why on earth wouldn't you use him? Especially when less than a month ago he WAS your backup center?

I think you can certainly still bring in Faine or whoever else, but if we're being honest with ourselves, whoever they bring in isn't going to step right in at center. They are going to have to adjust, learn the playbook, and the calls. They also aren't going to be that good. Its gonna be someone another team didn't want anymore (and didn't even think enough to carry to final cut day), or someone on the street that no one else until now cared enough about to sign.

For the immediate future, your best options are Boling or Robinson.

Faine is horrible. Has problems with bigger DT. I think a veteran center will need brought in if Cook is gone for most or all the season but Faine isn't the answer. I think Andre Gurode is still looking for a job. IMO 10 times better than faine and he is nothing that great.

[quote name='Kochman' timestamp='1346123575' post='1151863']
Faine is horrible. Has problems with bigger DT. I think a veteran center will need brought in if Cook is gone for most or all the season but Faine isn't the answer. I think Andre Gurode is still looking for a job. IMO 10 times better than faine and he is nothing that great.
[/quote]

It seems I rarely see your name anymore.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1346123509' post='1151860']

maybe, but having a good center is more important than a good guard. If you have a guy who knows the position, knows the calls, and is already in the system, why on earth wouldn't you use him? Especially when less than a month ago he WAS your backup center?

I think you can certainly still bring in Faine or whoever else, but if we're being honest with ourselves, whoever they bring in isn't going to step right in at center. They are going to have to adjust, learn the playbook, and the calls. They also aren't going to be that good. Its gonna be someone another team didn't want anymore (and didn't even think enough to carry to final cut day), or someone on the street that no one else until now cared enough about to sign.

For the immediate future, your best options are Boling or Robinson.
[/quote]

It's going to be interesting regardless. At least it's not mid-season.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' timestamp='1346122434' post='1151831']
How the hell did you talk to Kyle from Colorado?
[/quote]

i lived in mason at the time.... it was the jets game against Favre

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1346123711' post='1151868']
Cook was rated higher in pass blocking then Faine over the last two years according to PFF.
[/quote]

pff blows ass

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346123743' post='1151869']
i lived in mason at the time.... it was the jets game against Favre

[/quote]

I remember you telling that story. It was before he was ever the starter. He was supposed to get the start over ghiacuic and then got injured in pre-game warmups.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1346124029' post='1151872']
I remember you telling that story. It was before he was ever the starter. He was supposed to get the start over ghiacuic and then got injured in pre-game warmups.
[/quote]

i think it was on a special teams play, but yea the rest sounds about right.....

[quote name='mhfinks' timestamp='1346124437' post='1151875']
Didnt reggie play some last preseason and we were high on him.... thinking back
[/quote]

BJ and a few others were. IMO he's looked pretty bad at center this preseason (and IMO last too), granted he's playing surrounded by other scrubs. May not be any better than Robinson, especially since Robinson is listed higher on the depth chart by the coaches at center.

It would be great for Stephens and Hudson to step up at guard.

well, there you go. It goes back to what i said earlier when kirkpatrick had a "setback." It just seems like that it is always worst case scenario for the Bengals. I believe reports from earlier today were that cook was wearing a boot for "precautionary" reasons. Now he's potentially out for the year. Its just so frustrating. In a year where this team has so much potential, they have been and will continue to be without so many integral parts. Very frustrating.

Archived