Celebrities and politics

Go Skins

I think people care what celebrities think about politics because it's something else that they "know" about the celeb. It's being nosy, with permission from the celeb....people are nosy as shit. That's why those tabloid magazines seem to do so well. I'm not sure though, how much a person allows the celeb's opinion to influence their "vote". I think people are smart enough (read: greedy) to look out for their best interests, particularly as it pertains to the election.

Who the hell am I kidding.....people are dumber than dirt and are probably influenced as much as they by a celeb's opinion as they are by the latest pattern/picture they saw on their morning toast.

I believe everything that Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins tell me. They might be the biggest players in politics along Clint Eastwood and Ed Begley Jr.

If you were to listen to their ideas, we would have already become a pseudo-hippie like society where everyone works a certain job in a global barter system with no type of currency and everything is communal. I'm still not sure if we would wear clothes or not.

They are divorced now, I think Tim accidentally brought home pork rolls instead of Veggie Rolls. Tragic.

[url="http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_real_world/2012_Nov_07_sean-duffy-releected"]http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_real_world/2012_Nov_07_sean-duffy-releected[/url]

[b]The Real World Boston[/b] cast member Sean Duffy was re-elected to the United States House of Representatives yesterday, assuring that reality TV cast members still have a representative in Congress. Drunk 20-somethings hooking up and/or fighting in hot tubs can relax.
Sean defeated Pat Kreitlow by winning [url="http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/177331341.html#Congress_Dist._7"]56 percent of the vote[/url]. [url="http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/DECISION-2012-Sean-Duffy-wins-US-House-7th-District-177585081.html"]The AP reports[/url] that “Democrats considered his seat vulnerable” and “Outside groups spent heavily to try to oust Duffy. But he benefited from redistricting” and “also had more money, having raised $2.4 million compared to Kreitlow’s $1.2 million as of mid-October.”

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352400800' post='1178672']
it only makes me hate them...
[/quote]

X1,000,000,000

I don't give a shit who you like... you're an actor / actress / athlete et al... that doesn't make you smarter or more informed. Shut the hell up.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352469512' post='1178896']
X1,000,000,000

I don't give a shit who you like... you're an actor / actress / athlete et al... that doesn't make you smarter or more informed. Shut the hell up.
[/quote]

I thought there was something called free speech in this country? Because someone is a celebrity they shouldn't voice their opinions? I can understand not giving a shit, but why hate on them for it? I think the Dixie Chicks are dumb bitches.. But not because they spoke what they believed.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1352470609' post='1178904']
I thought there was something called free speech in this country? Because someone is a celebrity they shouldn't voice their opinions? I can understand not giving a shit, but why hate on them for it? I think the Dixie Chicks are dumb bitches.. But not because they spoke what they believed.
[/quote]

Because you have these clowns that think because they're popular that they're an authority on politics (or anything for that matter beyond their chosen career). I don't care what Susan Sarandon thinks about anything beyond acting / movies. I don't care what Clint Eastwood thinks beyond acting / movies. I don't care what player X thinks beyond their chosen sport. I'm not at all saying they don't deserve the right to "speak their piece"... they need to be responsible about how they do it and understand like it or not millions of kids look at what they say / do. I'm not advocating them "actually shutting the hell up" - they still have that right. More of a :0stfu:

I think its interesting that Go posted that up yesterday afternoon and it took me agreeing with him that you then disagree with it.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352473995' post='1178920']
Because you have these clowns that think because they're popular that they're an authority on politics (or anything for that matter beyond their chosen career). I don't care what Susan Sarandon thinks about anything beyond acting / movies. I don't care what Clint Eastwood thinks beyond acting / movies. I don't care what player X thinks beyond their chosen sport. I'm not at all saying they don't deserve the right to "speak their piece"... they need to be responsible about how they do it and understand like it or not millions of kids look at what they say / do. I'm not advocating them "actually shutting the hell up" - they still have that right. More of a :0stfu:

I think its interesting that Go posted that up yesterday afternoon and it took me agreeing with him that you then disagree with it.
[/quote]

It's not interesting at all.. I bust his balls all the time, and he would tell you the same. I didn't mean to single you out. I apologize, I was really responding to the both of you. BTW, you are one of my favorite people to disagree with here.. No shit. It's a compliment..

I thought there was something called free speech in this country? Because someone is a celebrity they shouldn't voice their opinions?
[/quote]

anyone cant speak, doesnt mean anyone else should care what they have to say.

being a celebrity gives you a platform from which to say or do whatever you want, and it WILL make the news/websites/paper, the republicans pulled in clint eastwood for a reason, they didnt bring my neighbor who works for an oil company to speak... and i would assume my neighbor probably had more valid things to say than talking to an empty chair and putting on a propoganda show..

both have every right... but only one was national news for a few weeks...

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352474524' post='1178923']
anyone cant speak, doesnt mean anyone else should care what they have to say.

being a celebrity gives you a platform from which to say or do whatever you want, and it WILL make the news/websites/paper, the republicans pulled in clint eastwood for a reason, they didnt bring my neighbor who works for an oil company to speak... and i would assume my neighbor probably had more valid things to say than talking to an empty chair and putting on a propoganda show..

both have every right... but only one was national news for a few weeks...
[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately people tend to associate actors with the roles they play. My dad loves to watch the various late shows, and is constantly getting sucked in by the scripted presentation. He's always telling me "so and so was on Leno last night, and you would really like 'em.. Just seemed so down to earth.... " etc.. And I'm like "yeah dad, they're an actor. They make their living by pretending to be something they aren't. Most of them are pretty good at it."

Personally I don't give 2 cents about celebrities beyond whatever art it is they perform.

[/quote]

If the celebrity agrees with you, he's entitled to free speech, but if he doesn't, he's a do nothing, ignorant ASS.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1352474812' post='1178924']
Yeah, unfortunately people tend to associate actors with the roles they play. My dad loves to watch the various late shows, and is constantly getting sucked in by the scripted presentation. He's always telling me "so and so was on Leno last night, and you would really like 'em.. Just seemed so down to earth.... " etc.. And I'm like "yeah dad, they're an actor. They make their living by pretending to be something they aren't. Most of them are pretty good at it."

Personally I don't give 2 cents about celebrities beyond whatever art it is they perform.
[/quote]

word

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1352479011' post='1178948']
I've been enjoying the meltdowns after the election, especially the celebrity ones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/victoria-jackson-obama-election-crying-america-died_n_2088257.html

hahahahaha
[/quote]

sadly there are far too many right wing Christians that think this way

it's embarrassing

Archived