Who Are You Scouting? 2013 Draft

You don't think he would be a WLB with his coverage abilities?  I'm going off what I've read.  I've never watched.  He does have an impressive stat-line.

I've never been that impressed with him when he's in coverage.

In college he was a DE that they'd occasionally stand up and put in coverage.  Classic SLB candidate.

RT Menelik Watson - I really like him.  Seems like his technique needs work, but you can't teach his athleticism.  Kind of reminds me of two safeties I've watched, Philip and Shamarko Thomas, who's bodies play faster than their brains.  That's not to say they're not football smart, but rather that they just need to play within themselves and under control sometimes.  Read and React rather than just React if you will.  

Slated to be taken around the Bengals first round pick.

I haven't watched him.  I like a more raw guy with upside in the bottom half of the draft, in general.

My big question for him (well, you, really), as a RT prospect, is does he have power?  With Zeitler over there I'd still like to see us establish a dominant running identity and that's the place to start (or keep what was started going).

I haven't watched him.  I like a more raw guy with upside in the bottom half of the draft, in general.

My big question for him (well, you, really), as a RT prospect, is does he have power?  With Zeitler over there I'd still like to see us establish a dominant running identity and that's the place to start (or keep what was started going).

yea I'd say so.  He also already plays RT, so wouldn't have to switch, though I do think he's got the athletic ability to play LT if needed.

Here's my concern with Watson (now, it may be due to the recovery from injury, or that he's just not a football guy doing football metrics, but...):

02/27/2013 - 02/27/13 NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: 4. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State...Based on the unique fluidity and speed Watson demonstrated this season operating at right tackle for the Seminoles, scouts anticipated the UK-native to rank among this year's most impressive testers in Indianapolis. Instead, Watson failed miserably to live up to his hype. He ranked among the worst offensive linemen tested in several drills, including finishing dead last in the three cone drill (8.31), a test some scouts believe is the most important of all the measureable drills when it comes to offensive linemen. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Now I'm about the last person to put much weight into a lot of these drills, but being so slow is weird.  Lastly, I'm also a little bit concerned at how often the guy has bounced from sport to sport. Soccer, then Pro Basketball, then Boxing, then Football after watching a Florida STate game.  How much is his heart in it?  Those are the things I'd be asking him at an interview...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm apparently behind on my searches.  Antonio Andrews (Senior) a RB out of WKU that has caught my eye decided to transfer to FSU (rumor at this point). 

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91353&draftyear=2014&genpos=RB

12/26/12 - The bowl game is a battle of two teams heading in opposite directions, with the Chippewas turning their season around after a 2-5 and Western Kentucky losing three of its last four games, all by seven points or fewer. But right now, both teams are happy to land a bowl bid, with Western Kentucky making its bowl debut and the Chippewas playing in a bowl game for the first time since 2009.

"Like a lot of our players, this is their first bowl game as well," Enos said. "It's fun for everybody. I know they've got to be awfully proud of their football team and what they've accomplished."

Central Michigan's defense showed some improvement late in the season, leading to the team's improvement in the standings. The CMU defense gets another stern test trying to stop Western Kentucky's Antonio Andrews, who leads the country in all-purpose yards. Andrews can impact a game in several ways.

"He's got very good vision," Enos said of Andrews."He's powerful; he has good size and runs real hard. They do a real good job with him, too. They have good schemes, and their offensive line and tight ends do a good job blocking." - The Sports Xchange

12/26/12 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: RB Antonio Andrews can make history, and as luck would have it, he can do it in Detroit. Andrews is 274 all-purpose yards from breaking Barry Sanders' NCAA record of 2,977 all-purpose yards in a single season. The junior running back has also racked up 1,609 yards on the ground and scored 11 touchdowns. Andrews should have a productive day against a Central Michigan defense allowing nearly 200 yards per game. - The Sports Xchange 

Plays RB but his #2 position is KR

Ranked 18 out of 199 RB's

Antonio Andrews is an American football running back for the WKU Hilltoppers. In 2009, he was named Kentucky Mr. Football while playing for Fort Campbell High School. In 2012, he led the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) with 3,161 all-purpose yards, which was the second-highest single season total in history.

He led the Sun Belt Conference in rushing yards (1,728), punt return yards (234), and kickoff return yards (767).

I'm apparently behind on my searches.  Antonio Andrews (Senior) a RB out of WKU that has caught my eye decided to transfer to FSU (rumor at this point). 

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91353&draftyear=2014&genpos=RB

Plays RB but his #2 position is KR
Ranked 18 out of 199 RB's

Good find. Strikes me as a a quicker, better cutting BJGE.

Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU

I've been slow to look into this guy, mainly because he didn't start.  NFL.com finally has some full combine workouts cut together and oh my...this guy can move.

He actually looks more fluid than a lot of the LB's did in the drills - and then you see that he's 6-4, 277.

Looks like he'd be a great get in the 4th or 5th if that's really where he'd go.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lavar-edwards?id=2539938

I've been hoping the site would cut together players' entire workouts.  The live coverage makes it just about impossible to get even a half-picture on any individual guy but the stars.

Awesome, they seem to have them up for a lot of guys now.

Jamie Collins, who's ranked right down there around #145 with Lavar Edwards - and who's been oft mentioned on here - would also be a guy you'd find a place for if he fell to the 3rd or later.  

Anyone know if nfl.com adjusts it's player rankings through the process?  In the past, I've found them to be reasonably good at getting the rough areas that guys end up - but some of these seem just too far off.

Collins had 20 TFL and 10 sacks, so his production is there to go with the athleticism.  I'd be surprised if he made it out of the second...

Awesome, they seem to have them up for a lot of guys now.

Jamie Collins, who's ranked right down there around #145 with Lavar Edwards - and who's been oft mentioned on here - would also be a guy you'd find a place for if he fell to the 3rd or later.  

Anyone know if nfl.com adjusts it's player rankings through the process?  In the past, I've found them to be reasonably good at getting the rough areas that guys end up - but some of these seem just too far off.

Collins had 20 TFL and 10 sacks, so his production is there to go with the athleticism.  I'd be surprised if he made it out of the second...

I like Collins but after he light up the combine he's big time prospect, he's probabl a sure fire second round pick at this point. The only thing that hurt his draft stock was that his team was horrible, they didn't win a game last year..but he play the game. Some think he's a 3-4 OLB so I don't know if he would be a fit for our system.

Another couple of sleepers:

LB Ja'Gared Davis, SMU - really fast and has good instincts in pass and run game, also an excellent blitzer.  Can play in 4-3 or 3-4, inside or outside.

DE Armonty Bryant, East Central Oklahoma - Unfortunately a knucklehead (missed 3 games in October due to a minor drug arrest, for selling $20 bags of marijuana at practice to an undercover cop), aside from that this guy has the talent level of an early round pick.  Very fast and always around the ball.  Active against run and pass.

Archived