Mike Mitchell SS Oakland

Not sure...been watching and hoping we do something interesting at safety but this guy draws a blank. 

I think he went to Ohio U. and was projected as a 7th rounder or undrafted and Al Davis took him mid 2nd round. I believe he was an okay starter for a fe years, but haven't really followed his career.

He was a story because I think some of the draft guys like Kiper didn't even totally know who he was and everyone was scrambling on air to figure out who he was.

If Bengals wanted a safety, why don't they get Ed Reed to help train up one of the promising safeties that are already on the roster?  Imagine what kind of influence he could have on Iloka, Mays, and Sands.

Is that the guy that Oakland was ridiculed for taking in 2 a few years ago?

Oakland has been ridiculed for so much, I've lost track.

Edit:  The Raiders did catch flack for selecting him 2nd round.   However, I read some reviews that said it was a shocking pick but Cowboys and Bears were planning to select him in the Second.

This was considered a horrible draft by the Raiders.   Mitchell was ranked mostly as undrafted prospect and one site declared he wasn't invited to the combine.

Although one site said the Raiders thought they landed the next Ronnie Lott for whatever that was worth.

William Moore was the next safety taken by Atlanta. 

Hasn't played much, alot of sites say good athletism and workout numbers,  I'd say it's their Jerome Simpson pick

If Bengals wanted a safety, why don't they get Ed Reed to help train up one of the promising safeties that are already on the roster?  Imagine what kind of influence he could have on Iloka, Mays, and Sands.

Because he is a player, not a coach, and can't turn stiff athletes into fluid guys.

Yeah, but they can learn stuff from him.  I learn stuff from playing with better players.  

What makes Reed so great though is his instincts.  And that's something you have or you don't.  The closest they can get is watching film better and that's more a coaching matter.

See: Mays, Taylor

Probably a good comparison. He is a big guy with great speed who sucks in coverage and is a former 2nd rounder.

He does have a tiny bit more starting experience than Mays.

If a guy like this is the only FA addition at Safety, then I think it is pretty much a lock that we are going to add our starter in the first two rounds of the draft. Which is fine I guess. It is a good Safety class and if we take care of business with Andre, Jones, Newman and company, we can definitely afford an early round pick at Safety.

Looking at Marvin's comments about adding a couple starters in the draft, I think what is most likely is that we come out of the first two days with:

Starting SS
Possible starter at LB
Possible starter at WR
Possible starter at RB

Two talented young additions on each side of the ball who should contribute immediately and hopefully step in as starters by 2014.

i love the idea of having hte vet around just to teach you how to prepare and be a professional.

I'm a little conflicted on a veteran Safety that is basically promised the starting job, like an Ed Reed.

The combo of having an extra 2nd, few big need elsewhere and a very good Safety class means this should be the year they finally solve SS position for good with an early pick. Kind of like with Zeitler last year, if you are getting one of the 2 or 3 best guys at the position, you probably can expect them to step right in and start for you from day 1.

On the other hand, you don't want to totally box yourself in with a huge hole going into the draft. And it is always a bit of a risk counting on any rookie to start right away.

I could give a shit about Ed Reed's mentoring ability.   This team now has winners on it and the lockeroom is praised.

If you sign a Ed Reed to the dollars it commands he better be dictating to the offense, picking balls off and creating field position. 

Nelson is a vet as vet can get.    I want a Ed Reed type solely for the promise of making plays. 

Right now, I think Ed Reed can make better plays than any safety on the Bengals, except for maybe Nelson, and even that is debatable.  

There is the rub.   You can't have any "think" about it.   He sure as hell better be making more plays than Nelson.

Ed Reed most likely isn't coming without big up front money.   He has age.   Basically you are pushing money into future years.  

To make it worth it you don't justify Ed Reed signing because of mentoring.   He better be showing range so QBs are nervous and getting his hands on the ball and taking them to the house.

There would be the added benefit of not having to play against him twice.     I say it's worth the risk considering cap situation. 

There is the rub.   You can't have any "think" about it.   He sure as hell better be making more plays than Nelson.

Ed Reed most likely isn't coming without big up front money.   He has age.   Basically you are pushing money into future years.  

To make it worth it you don't justify Ed Reed signing because of mentoring.   He better be showing range so QBs are nervous and getting his hands on the ball and taking them to the house.

There would be the added benefit of not having to play against him twice.     I say it's worth the risk considering cap situation. 

Scharmy, it's not possible to know for sure on any player.  Surely you don't think that it's possible to know how a player will do beforehand.  Every player has "think" about him.

I do know Ed Reed is currently awesome, probably awesomer than any S on the team.  Pair him with Nelson, draft a stud, let Iloka, Sands and Mays fight it out for the last spot or two and let's see what happens.

Scharmy, it's not possible to know for sure on any player.  Surely you don't think that it's possible to know how a player will do beforehand.  Every player has "think" about him.

I do know Ed Reed is currently awesome, probably awesomer than any S on the team.  Pair him with Nelson, draft a stud, let Iloka, Sands and Mays fight it out for the last spot or two and let's see what happens.

Yeah, but that's the system and risk with Ed Reed.   I have no idea what he signs for.     This I think I know.   Ed is going to want gauranteed money.  Teams typically have actuary data to predict playing life.

Ed is probably at the end of his.   So to meet his up front demands and knowing you probably got two years.   That's a cap charge of dead money waiting to happen.

What the bengals could and what I wish they would do is.   Don't give him a signing bonus.   Give all to him as 1st year salary.  That way he gets his money and when the wheels fall off there isn't any cap issue.

I'd take him but it's not to be a mentor.  It's change the biggest thing we need to be an elite defense.  Turnovers.

I feel Ed Reed still has it.  He has always been a versatile safety.  He's a great run and pass defender.  He isn't a d-bag like Murderer.  He's a cool guy.  I wouldn't mind your strategy of a big salary and low signing bonus.  The Bengals have the $$$.  I don't think Ed Reed would be a bad investment at all.  

Archived