With the 37th pick the Bengals select Giovani Bernard

I watched a lot of Gio last night. I still don't think he was physically the best back available but given the man's character, age - he's gonna be a very solid back for us. I don't even think he's 22 yet. The guy could still put on 10 lbs in another couple seasons. For his size, his stuff arm looked to be rather effective.

I watched a lot of Gio last night. I still don't think he was physically the best back available but given the man's character, age - he's gonna be a very solid back for us. I don't even think he's 22 yet. The guy could still put on 10 lbs in another couple seasons. For his size, his stuff arm looked to be rather effective.

This was one of the those running back classes where there was something for everyone. What kind of back is needed? I still wonder if Bernard would have still been available at 53 if Cyprien had managed to be on the table at 37. But even if that were the case, physical freak Hunt would not have been available in the third round.

This was one of the those running back classes where there was something for everyone. What kind of back is needed? I still wonder if Bernard would have still been available at 53 if Cyprien had managed to be on the table at 37. But even if that were the case, physical freak Hunt would not have been available in the third round.

I suspect the 49ers would have picked Hunt if we passed him up in the second round.

Last year, I know that both you and I were banging the table for D. Martin. I think of Gio as Muscle Hamster-lite.

And his stiff arm reminds me of LT. He basically punches would be tacklers.

Last year, I know that both you and I were banging the table for D. Martin. I think of Gio as Muscle Hamster-lite.

And his stiff arm reminds me of LT. He basically punches would be tacklers.

We could have had a good one, that's for sure. If he has a rookie year anywhere close to Martin's, we'll be in good shape.

We could have had a good one, that's for sure. If he has a rookie year anywhere close to Martin's, we'll be in good shape.

"Anywhere close" being the operative phrase. If Gio approaches 1000 total yards, this offense takes a gigantic leap forward.

Would not have mattered.  The Bengals didn't like Cyprien that much.

"Anywhere close" being the operative phrase. If Gio approaches 1000 total yards, this offense takes a gigantic leap forward.

I agree wholeheartedly. Last year before Bernard Scott got hurt, we had one drive where someone other than BJGE did anything from the backfield... and that may have been the drive Scott got hurt for the season. I remember seeing Leonard in there; just didn't look the same at all. He never looked like a threat. It's nice to know when BJGE comes out, we actually will have someone who can come in and possibly be BETTER than our starter.

Please, Gruden, run that ball.

Might have traded down a couple of spots and still gotten Gio. All speculative though so it doesn't really matter much...

I agree wholeheartedly. Last year before Bernard Scott got hurt, we had one drive where someone other than BJGE did anything from the backfield... and that may have been the drive Scott got hurt for the season. I remember seeing Leonard in there; just didn't look the same at all. He never looked like a threat. It's nice to know when BJGE comes out, we actually will have someone who can come in and possibly be BETTER than our starter.

Please, Gruden, run that ball.

Actually it was Bernard Scott and Sanu being hurt that caused a lot of problems for Gruden.  Sanu was just as effective back there running the ball as Bernard Scott was.  Having Sanu back there with the HB pass option created a lot of space for him to run outside.  It was also pretty fun to watch since we haven't seen this much excitement from our offense in many years.  It gets pretty juicy thinking about the combinations of Sanu & GB back there with Tyler and Gresham lined up to block or break out for the pass.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Gruden does with has new playmakers.  I can't imagine this won't translate to more points.  Especially since we have been more effective in the red zone lately as it is.  I remember many times where our offense fizzled out to take three points under Palmer.  Anyone got stats to put against this notion?  Red zone efficiency from Carson vs. Dalton?  Just curious...      

I just want to see Sany healthy for a full season.  I think he was just hitting his stride went he went down.  I think he alone could make a big difference.

We should see improvements through and through. There's no way Boling, Zeitler, Robinson, Green, Sanu, Jones, Green, Charles, and you can even make a case for Gresham, got worse. As far as I know they're all high character, working to get better players. You also have the return of Wharton and Scott (though he may not make it) from injury. Then you add in major talents like Eifert and Gio who *could* be improvements to what we already have (and even if they aren't, they're more than likely better than the backups)... it's really hard for me to imagine us going backwards offensively. As crazy as it sounds, our defense may even be better. We lost Sims, Lawson, and Crocker... gained Harrison, Hunt, and Williams. Still and Thompson couldn't have gotten worse (well, Still couldn't have, I don't know much about Thompson). We have some aging corners but we basically played without Kirkpatrick last year and he's a first round talent.

If we have the same Dalton as last year, we may have a repeat performance of last season (which wasn't bad - we were a play away from a playoff victory). If Dalton takes one step forward, we're going to be difficult to beat for anyone.

Zimmer liked Cypren enough to make him one of the four safeties he went to see for a personal visit. Obviously the coaches didn't think enough of Cyprien(or Elam) to take them with the 21st pick, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken one or the other at 37 if they had been available. That's one of those things we'll probably never know for sure.

Zimmer liked Cypren enough to make him one of the four safeties he went to see for a personal visit. Obviously the coaches didn't think enough of Cyprien(or Elam) to take them with the 21st pick, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken one or the other at 37 if they had been available. That's one of those things we'll probably never know for sure.

While that's true, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they would have taken Gio at 37 even if he were there.  The truth is, there were a lot of middling RB's in this draft (including some that people thought were the "top" guys), and I'd think if the Bengals were content to grab one of them they probably knew they'd still have pretty good pickings at 53 (of course, we have the benefit of hindsight, but all but two RB's were picked by the time that choice rolled around).

Methinks they knew they guy they wanted for this offense, and they weren't going to chance missing out on him at 53 and settle for a guy who was a lesser fit. 

We had a top 7 or 8 Defense last year, but our offense was something like #27 in converting 3rd downs.  We finished just behind OAK, and ahead of KC, STL, CLE, JAX, and ARI.

That stat alone is the perfect answer to those who lament filling a Safety need when we had a shot to take the two best players at their respective position groups - positions that incidentally can be of huge benefit in aiding 3rd down efficiency.  Nevermind that they were also serious playmakers who will also lift the Offenses overall performance...

He went to work him out. Doesn't mean he wanted him after. According to Reedy's twitter, Lewis told him they would not take Cyprien.

Also, they were prepared to take Bernard at 21 if it came to that. I'm sure Bernard was higher on their board than Cyprien.

I would have been completely content to trade down to the late 20s and grab gio. So happy we got him at 37. He was probably the guy I wanted more than anyone in the draft (not saying Id have drafted him over eifert or austin or vaccaro) but the one guy I wanted at some point in the draft.

Really pumped to see what this offense can do next year and in the coming years.

So, when asked about his thoughts on newly drafted running back Giovani Bernard, it is no surprise that Marvin Lewis opted to give his reply by way of comparison.

"What everybody doesn't understand, when you look at Ray Rice when he was a young player, this guy is already a little taller, a little heavier. The only difference in the two of them is Ray's arms were two inches longer. If that matters. We're looking at comparisons of (Doug) Martin, and the back down in Jacksonville (Maurice Jones-Drew), and those kind of guys with that kind of stature. Everybody sees where they are now, but you also look at physically where they started out, and I think Gio’s got special ability that way."

Ray Rice, Doug Martin, and MJD--all 5'9" or shorter and all loaded with game-breaking talent. Pretty high praise for the rookie. But that wasn't all Lewis had to say. He also compared Bernard to a former Bengals running back, Pro Bowler and season rushing record holder Rudi Johnson.

To me his running style is a lot like Rudi, although he's probably a little quicker than what Rudi. But obviously, the way they're built to the ground.

It takes more than just height, however, to qualify for such lofty comparisons. As Lewis notes, Bernard's running style and agility are the true factors that set him apart from most backs. Most importantly, Bernard also shares a similar frame with all four of the previously mentioned runners, which should allow him to bulk up and become more than just a third-down back (though as Lewis points out, Bernard is already ahead of where Ray Rice was in terms of stature coming into the league).

Although the year is young and Bernard has only participated in one and half days of Bengals' practices, his career in stripes is already looking very bright indeed.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/5/11/4321834/rookie-running-back-giovani-bernard-garners-lofty-comparisons

Archived