XBOX ONE Announcement, DRM concerns....

the xbox 360 stayed the same price for nearly 8 years...

so you saved 100, MAYBE 170$, soooo

lets even say 7 years.

so i paid $2/mo to have a gaming system....7+ years earlier... oh the depreciation! 

i also bought another last xmas before last, as a second one, same 4gb u have...

so ill buy two xbox ones for $600, sell my 360's for a total of $150 probably... and have spent $450 for another 8 years+ gaming...

if your kids dont mind/care you are lucky and all good with your plan though..

my oldest is a nerd like myself and is already aware and eager for the new xbox launch... so if i CAN find them at XMAS, i will grab a few, if not, probably wait till july for bdays..

Yeah hopefully they dont fuck up on the distribution of units again, though with the issues they had with the MS Surface Pro launch, I'll be surprised if they dont.

Upon review, you meant ALL your 360's (and I have no idea how many you are talking about...three?). I thought you meant ONE Xbox One and ONE Xbox 360. Nevermind. But I still didn't pay as much as people that "have to have it" upon launch. I paid $199 for the Xbox 4G last Christmas, which is FAR less than it cost at pretty much any other time.

sucker, target had that 4gb unit for $129.99 on black friday... and they had plenty..

and i did state if you are cool being behind every time, its a good deal, but im not interested in that much, the xbox 360 was $300 i think the elite at launch was $400, but regardless), i dont know how much you think it was... so you waited 7 years to save $99

thats $12/yr, or $1/mo  look down when you walk around and youll probably FIND $1/mo

sucker, target had that 4gb unit for $129.99 on black friday... and they had plenty..

and i did state if you are cool being behind every time, its a good deal, but im not interested in that much, the xbox 360 was $300 i think the elite at launch was $400, but regardless), i dont know how much you think it was... so you waited 7 years to save $99

thats $12/yr, or $1/mo  look down when you walk around and youll probably FIND $1/mo

got heem

• 3 weeks later...

PS4 allows used games with no restrictions and costs $100 less.

Looks like Sony is coming out swinging this time.

microsoft announced it too, they wont be charging or limited used bought games.. they do limit your gamethats saved to your hard drive to 10 xbox live user ID's.. but you can take it to a friends, etc. looks like youd have to have signed onto their xbox live at some point, it kinda sounds like game developers may be the ones restricting games instead of the rumors of the consoles doing it...

also looks like PS4 will require a paid PSN account to play online... and is also instituting a form of cloud gaming for online play...

these consoles are getting closer together...

$100 cheaper is a huge one for sony though... wonder if microsoft will throw something into the bundle to make up for it....

Did Sony announce whether or not their Move Controler or new Camera thing that is supposed to be Kinnect like are bundled?

The cost differences may be offset by that.

dunno, they said they will have 3 version, $399, $499, and $599...

dunno if the camera thing will be part of any price change or not..

or if its just stupid hard drive space again..

From what I have read Microsoft is **requiring** constant online connection via Kinect in order to keep your account current/play games. If that is true, Fuck MS. That's way too 1984 for me. I understand that physical copies of games via CD are going the way of the dinosaur and that digital distribution is the way of the future (and I LOVE Steam for my PC games) but somehow MS seems to be fucking their core audience. IMO, advantage PS4.

From what I have read Microsoft is **requiring** constant online connection via Kinect in order to keep your account current/play games. If that is true, Fuck MS. That's way too 1984 for me. I understand that physical copies of games via CD are going the way of the dinosaur and that digital distribution is the way of the future (and I LOVE Steam for my PC games) but somehow MS seems to be fucking their core audience. IMO, advantage PS4.

not exactly. youll need to be able to ping the web once every 24 hours just to authorize the game, the game gets saved to the internal hard drive for faster playing and less load times, etc.. so it pings once to verify game authenticity etc..so you cant just go rent ot join gamefly and burn 300 games to your hard drive and ahve them forever..

and what percentage of this "core audience" you speak of doesnt have their game console on the web?

my xbox's have been online constantly for the last 8 years... i cant imagine when they wouldnt be on the web?

i mean even the most trivial games, football, basketball, pull daily sports scores, stats, etc from real life as part of certain game modes..

people keep making a big deal out of this, but its something i would imagine 99.999999% of users already have going on.

Copied from another website: "All this may be true but it's largely irrelevant. Kinnect games are generally not played the same way that regular games are. They work best for fun, casual games that are often played in a group, dance games as you mentioned, casual sports games and so on. These games were quite fun and quite popular on the first Kinect and the experience will only get better on the new one. Your average hardcore gamer may not be interested but the people who play Angry Birds and Farmville will be.

I think the Xbox will sell best with families offering something for everyone; perhaps casual games for a young child, hardcore games for an older child and media services (supported by Kinect) for the parents. In a sense it combines the distinctive appeal of the Wii(casual, fun motion games) and PS3(media capabilities) in the last generation which could mean a huge market with the right marketing and the right games/services to exploit the Kinect.

The PS4 has a more straightforward strategy and market, hardcore gamers but that may not be as large as Sony thinks especially since Xbox has enough exclusives to tempt some hardcore gamers even if they aren't happy with the DRM policy and price. Plus the price advantage may not last. Microsoft has deep pockets and is perfectly capable of dropping the price if it needs to. It may do so after the first few months when anyway there are often shortages and price is largely irrelevant.

2 biggest issues for me regarding the systems were, 1) would they allow used games without having to pay some stupid fee and 2) cost.

The new cost of having to pay for online play with ps4 is no big deal to me, I've been paying for xbox live and im ok with that.

Seems like MS could have knocked an extra $100 off the price by not putting a Kinect with every console, and matched sony's price.

Honestly it will come down to which system my friends and I agree upon buying so we can all play online together.

Copied from another website: "All this may be true but it's largely irrelevant. Kinnect games are generally not played the same way that regular games are. They work best for fun, casual games that are often played in a group, dance games as you mentioned, casual sports games and so on. These games were quite fun and quite popular on the first Kinect and the experience will only get better on the new one. Your average hardcore gamer may not be interested but the people who play Angry Birds and Farmville will be.

I think the Xbox will sell best with families offering something for everyone; perhaps casual games for a young child, hardcore games for an older child and media services (supported by Kinect) for the parents. In a sense it combines the distinctive appeal of the Wii(casual, fun motion games) and PS3(media capabilities) in the last generation which could mean a huge market with the right marketing and the right games/services to exploit the Kinect.

The PS4 has a more straightforward strategy and market, hardcore gamers but that may not be as large as Sony thinks especially since Xbox has enough exclusives to tempt some hardcore gamers even if they aren't happy with the DRM policy and price. Plus the price advantage may not last. Microsoft has deep pockets and is perfectly capable of dropping the price if it needs to. It may do so after the first few months when anyway there are often shortages and price is largely irrelevant.

whomever wrote this is comparing kinnect to the ps4, you dont have to use kinnect for anything... its kinda like saying "yea the xbox controller has a green logo, and the ps4 has red on it, and true gamers like doritos...

lets all be honest, these two units are nearly identical... your biggest feature differences are what comes in the packages/bundles(kinnect vs whatever sony bundles), initial price point, what the monthly service fee includes, and what games you cant life without(the usual battle of the fanboi materials)

i have noticed its impossible to find unbiased reviews of consoles, every site and person is a fanboi or has an agenda it seems.. 

seeing how you waited 7 years to save that $99 on the 360 :) i can see how the cost off the bat is a factor...  :)

i want to see finalized bundles costs and features from both of these companies ASAP...

2 biggest issues for me regarding the systems were, 1) would they allow used games without having to pay some stupid fee and 2) cost.

The new cost of having to pay for online play with ps4 is no big deal to me, I've been paying for xbox live and im ok with that.

Seems like MS could have knocked an extra $100 off the price by not putting a Kinect with every console, and matched sony's price.

Honestly it will come down to which system my friends and I agree upon buying so we can all play online together.

agreed, it is literally a $100 price difference, but sony hasnt announced what comes in the bundles for the $400, 500 or 600 versions.. so im eager to see that..

im in the same boat as far as xbox live fee vs psn fee, dont care either way..

i have more familiarity with the xbox at this point in my life, so a slight advantage there.. and i think my friends are all leaning xbox.. especially since you can order it today with garaunteed launch day delivery from microsoft.... not sure how hard getting a ps4 near xmas at a store might be...it took 3 months to find an xbox 360... and took a friend walking around the store with it for 30 minutes till i got there to pay for it...

i hope to buy 2, so its a $200 difference....

at this very moment i need more information before i pull the trigger...

but i slightly lean xbox due to friends and familiarity..

seeing how you waited 7 years to save that $99 on the 360 :) i can see how the cost off the bat is a factor...   :)

Well, there was that along with the fact that we already had a Wii and a PS1,2 and 3, plus two gaming PC's so the Xbox was never really a priority to begin with...

Maybe not. I love the idea of bringing up a TV program guide without having to turn off the box or quickly checking out a game score without having to grab the remote. Ultimate wet dream is to have the football game on TV, play some game in the background and seamlessly switch back and forth (i.e. not have to sit through commercials).

All you have to do is press the input button on your remote...

There's so much information and misinformation out there it's hard to get a good grasp on it. My understanding is that the PS4 only has 1 version and it's 399. Xbox One is 499 but comes with Kinect. The biggest thing for me is the used game aspect, and it seems to me like the Xbox is doing what it can to kill the used game market. If I can't buy used games for $5-$10 or sell the $60 game I buy that sucks, there's no chance I buy that system.

http://www.gizmag.com/xbox-one-always-online-used-games-block/27829/

Here's the more official wording, straight from the horse's mouth:

• With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

In Microsoft's words:

• Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

it seems pretty simple, the online "check in" is strictly to prevent you from renting or gameflying games putting them on your hard drive, and playing them free forever...

there is no speculation or rumor anymore, microsoft came out and stated how its going to handle the two big "issues" people keep talking about..

http://www.gizmag.com/xbox-one-always-online-used-games-block/27829/

it seems pretty simple, the online "check in" is strictly to prevent you from renting or gameflying games putting them on your hard drive, and playing them free forever...

there is no speculation or rumor anymore, microsoft came out and stated how its going to handle the two big "issues" people keep talking about..

Hmm.. I still want to see it a bit more clearly.  PS4 made it simple enough:  hand your game to someone else.  Xbone is saying that publishers can enable this feature.  Too vague for me to plop down six hundo.

Hmm.. I still want to see it a bit more clearly.  PS4 made it simple enough:  hand your game to someone else.  Xbone is saying that publishers can enable this feature.  Too vague for me to plop down six hundo.

if publishers are going to do it on xbox theyll want to do it on ps4 too... it would be...idiotic... for xbox to allow publishers to block games on xbox and not PS would be ridiculous..  madden locked on xbox but not on PS would be a media nightmare for them... even microsoft isnt that stupid..

In Microsoft's words:

• Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

I don't see how you can say there are no restrictions on used games based on that statement. See "at participating retailers". Any possible resale will have to be on their terms and through their process. You can't sell the game on ebay to someone else. Microsoft is allowing each publisher to make their own terms while PS4 has specifically said there will be no restrictions allowed. If a publisher wants to enforce a $20 transfer fee on xbox, Microsoft will allow it. I think Microsoft is that stupid and you will see the same used games being restricted on xbox but not PS4. 

I also think there are way more people than you realize that don't have constant internet access. Microsoft has told those people to deal with it and just play the 360.

Archived