Training Camp Thread

I'm guessing he means the training camp PUP where they can be activated at any time (but also put on the in-season PUP at any time)

#bengals place A. Smith (calf) and Peerman (ankle) on Active/Non-football injury; Goard (finger), Tate (hamstring), Pressley (knee), Robinson (elbow), B. Scott (knee) on PUP and Davis Active/Non-Football Illness

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/mbevs1

Many people have twitter, and most aren't -- for the latter, this isn't for you. For those of you on Twitter, we give you a few people to follow from the newspapers, television, radio and the players themselves (let us know if we missed anyone).

NEWSPAPER / BEAT WRITERS

@Bengals - Take a while guess. Correct answers receive a prize.
@JoeReedy - Main beat man for the Cincinnati Bengals at the Cincinnati Enquirer
@GeoffHobsonCin - Lead writer at Bengals.com.
@FSOhio_KGoheen - Bengals beat writer at Fox Sports Ohio. 
@pauldehnerjr - Beat writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer.
@JayMorrisonCMG - Beat writer for Cox Media Group (mostly Dayton Daily News). 
@ENQSports - Cincinnati Enquirer's sports department. 
@apjoekay - Associated Press beat writer that covers the Bengals.
@jamisonhensley - Covers the Bengals as part of the AFC North blog for ESPN.

TELEVISION

@BradJohansen - Sports director at Local 12.
@kenbroo - Sports Director on WLWT and sports talk host on 700 WLW.
@Fox19Joe - Sports anchor and report for Fox 19. 
@Mike_Berk - Sports anchor and host of Bengals Nation on Local 12.

RADIO

@LanceMcAlister - Radio host on 700 WLW and ESPN 1530. 
@MoEgger1530 - Radio host on 700 WLW and ESPN 1530. 
@Lindzpatterson - Producer at ESPN 1530. 
@Dan_Hoard - Voice of the Bengals on 700 WLW.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/7/24/4554242/people-to-follow-on-twitter

The good news is that Andre Smith has reported for the start of Bengals training camp. The bad news is that he’s not completely healthy.

For the fourth time in five seasons, Smith will not be on the field for the first day of camp. He was placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list due to a calf injury. Smith signed a three-year extension on April 26 but missed all of offseason workouts due to what coach Marvin Lewis called a personal matter. Last season marked the first time that Smith has played in every game.

Also placed on the Non-Football Injury list was RB Cedric Peerman (ankle). TE Bryce Davis was placed on the Active/Non-Football Illness list.

The following players will open camp on the PUP list — WR Tyrone Goard (finger), WR Brandon Tate (hamstring), FB Chris Pressley (knee), QB Zac Robinson (elbow) and RB Bernard Scott (knee).

Players can come off the list at any time during camp. The team will practice tomorrow but the first session open to the public will be on Friday at 3 p.m.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/07/24/smith-to-open-camp-on-non-football-injury-list/

Andre Smith surfaced when the Bengals reported to training camp Wednesday, but the starting right tackle won't get on the field when they start practice Thursday afternoon because of a calf injury.

It's not believed to be serious and he should be able to work fairly soon, but it did land him on the Active/Non-Football Injury list along with backup running back Cedric Peerman (ankle).

Wednesday's moves indicated three players that didn't practice in the spring _ left tackle Andrew Whitworth(knee), cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (knee), center Trevor Robinson (shoulder) _ are good to go in the 3 p.m. workout that is the last one closed to the public before Friday's 3 p.m. practice at Paul Brown Stadium

Even though he's not suiting up Smith figures to command a lot of attention. After signing a three-year deal that can max out at about $18 million in April, he didn't report to the voluntary workouts or the mandatory minicamp because of what the Bengals said were personal reasons.

But the word is that Smith looked in good shape and he reportedly appeared to be at around his playing weight.

Also not on the field Thursday are backup quarterback Zac Robinson (elbow), fullback Chris Pressley (knee), backup running back Bernard Scott (knee), backup wide receiver Tyrone Goard (finger), and backup wide receiverBrandon Tate (hamstring)  in the category of Active/Physically Unable To Perform List.

And tight end/long snapper Bryce Davis, who reported under the weather, starts on the Active/Non-Football Illness list. The most serious injury could belong to Robinson, expected to rest his elbow for a few weeks.

All seven players count against the roster and can practice once they're cleared. Scott, who is coming off an October ACL surgery, and Pressley, who injured his knee late last season, could be candidates for the Reserve/PUP list that comes out at final cuts on Aug. 31 depending on their progress.  If they don't practice during the preseason, they can go on Reserve/PUP and won't be able to practice for the first six weeks of the regular season.

Peerman's injury isn't believed to be serious, but he also didn't practice all spring with a foot injury. With Scott also shelved, rookie running backs Giovani Bernard and Rex Burkhead are going to get plenty of work behind veterans BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Dan Herron.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Smith-reports-but-wont-practice-early/1e638b64-9df6-4f4f-ad8f-80ea7cdff9ea

Hopefully Andre's calf injury won't cost him any more than a few days of practice. At least he reported to camp in good shape weight-wise. Glad that Kirkpatrick has been cleared to practice from the start. There was a recent report that he might not be quite ready to go right away.

Hopefully Andre's calf injury won't cost him any more than a few days of practice. At least he reported to camp in good shape weight-wise. Glad that Kirkpatrick has been cleared to practice from the start. There was a recent report that he might not be quite ready to go right away.

yea seems in Andre's case maybe he tweaked something minor while working out.

Active/PUP relates to players being unable to start training camp with a football-related injury -- Active/NFI is related to an injury that's non-football related. There are no rules governing them to sit out of practice for any amount of time. Once they are medically cleared, they're allowed to practice that moment. At this point, every mention of PUP that you're seeing pop up around the NFL, refers to the Active/PUP. It's the less catastrophic Armageddon version, but it enables players to eventually become eligible for the other PUP list (which benefits teams with players still recovering).

Then there's the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List. If by the end of the preseason a player isn't medically cleared yet, he can be transferred to the Reserve/PUP, which prevents that player from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season -- however that player doesn't count against the 53-man roster. If the player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a three-week window to make a decision (injured reserve, release, activation).

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/7/24/4554300/six-bengals-placed-on-active-injury-lists-to-start-training-camp

This reserve/PUP is interesting. Am I correct in saying a player (like BScott) who doesn't practice all TC, can be put on this list at the end of preseason and not have to be waived?

I get they can't practice for the first 6 weeks of the regular season. Sort of thinking that there might be some banged up RB's by week 7...might use Bernard at this juncture?

This reserve/PUP is interesting. Am I correct in saying a player (like BScott) who doesn't practice all TC, can be put on this list at the end of preseason and not have to be waived?

I get they can't practice for the first 6 weeks of the regular season. Sort of thinking that there might be some banged up RB's by week 7...might use Bernard at this juncture?

correct.

Yes, if they don't practice at all during camp, they can be put on the regular season PUP list instead of being cut. If Scott, Andre, or whoever does practice then gets hurt, they would have to go on IR or the active roster or be released.

I wonder why they don't try to stash Pressley on the Reserve/PUP list too then.  Seems to me he got hurt later int he year than B Scott, plus since he has to take a ton of force to take on blockers, they'd like to make very sure that they know he can hold up. 

Maybe he's further ahead of schedule the Scott or maybe its just that Scott needs to make more cuts, so they're being cautious.  Or maybe they just know we aren't going to need a traditional FB any longer.  Either way I would have rather seen Pressley on the Reserve PUP rather than the Active PUP. 

I wonder why they don't try to stash Pressley on the Reserve/PUP list too then.  Seems to me he got hurt later int he year than B Scott, plus since he has to take a ton of force to take on blockers, they'd like to make very sure that they know he can hold up. 

Maybe he's further ahead of schedule the Scott or maybe its just that Scott needs to make more cuts, so they're being cautious.  Or maybe they just know we aren't going to need a traditional FB any longer.  Either way I would have rather seen Pressley on the Reserve PUP rather than the Active PUP. 

they may.  putting guys on the active PUP is the first step to them eventually being on the reserve PUP, which is where I think Pressley will land.

no one gets put on the Reserve PUP until the end of camp.

Archived