sounds like Brandon Marshall is far from 100%

video:  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000236393/NFL-preseason-footnotes

There's something very odd going on with Brandon Marshall and the Bears right now -- the wideout is currently away from the team because of "personal reasons" after Chicago gave him four days off. He's also got concerns with his hip rehabilitation as well.

But Marshall, who tied Wes Welker for second in the NFL in catches in 2012 (behind onlyCalvin Johnson), said Wednesday on Twitter that he will play in the first game of the 2013 NFL season.

"@landa_salomon@BMarshall Will you play in the first game of the season?" Yes

— Machine Marshall (@BMarshall) August 28, 2013

Marshall's had plenty of history when it comes to being a little flaky off the field, and it's just odd to hear him releasing statements when coach Marc Trestman's notion that his departure was "planned" should've been just fine. Right?

"As far as me not being out there today, this is something we've had planned since camp [opened]," Marshall said Wednesday. "I had some things I needed to do, and I sat down with Coach Trestman and we decided [Wednesday] would be the best time to do it."

Maybe most concerning about this? Marshall, who had hip surgery in January, said that "other than the hip" he's doing fine.

We're barely a week away from the beginning of the NFL season and the Bears primary offensive weapon -- Jay Cutler leans on Marshall more than any quarterback-wide receiver combo outside of Detroit -- should be a little nerve-wracking for Bears fans.

But if Marshall's true to his word and hits the field by the time Chicago suits up

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23379922/brandon-marshall-says-hell-play-week-1-despite-absence

In the video above, its speculated that Marshall may have had another hip procedure during that 4 day absence.

“I really can’t,” Trestman said Tuesday when asked if he could say where Marshall was physically. “I mean, I watch ... I know this: Brandon is working his tail off to try to get himself ready. He feels a sense of urgency because the season is (11) days away. He’s a highly competitive man. An elite player. He can only comment on how he feels. You saw him out on the field at Soldier Field. So you saw that he does have those moments where he can practice and work at a very high level. There’s been days that haven’t gone so well for him and then he’ll bounce back. I don’t know how he feels. I know he’s trying to push himself through. I know he’s doing everything he can to try and get himself ready.”

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-28/sports/chi-chicago-bears-brandon-marshall-absent-20130828_1_brandon-marshall-chicago-bears-training-camp

The bears are not a bad team. Not sure why some seem to think they are. Add in they get to be at home with all the week one excitement etc. and there is a reason they are favored. This is a tough opening assignment.

Maybe because we raped them the last two times. Kinda hard to see them as a threat, kinda. But new squads more or less on both sides. Should be a good game. Two teams looking to make that next step

Hard to imagine just because we rolled them in 2009 that having any impact on this game. Rosters have to be up to 90% didferent, not sure why anyone would look back to that for any kind of guide.

Plus, Matt forte is a legit threat catching oases to go with the running, without lemur, he's the kid of back that can give the D huge problems.

What do we know about these busters right now? I haven't been paying attention to them. All I know is that Marshall recently said that he'll be playing week 1. I feel like its a decent test for the squad coming out of the gate but nothing too crazy.

it will be a real good test, IMO, the bears defense s filled with above average talent, veteran disciplined guys, which is what gave us fits last year, the browns and dolphins style/talent level defenses.. if teams can stay disciplined against the short pass game, it keeps 8 in the box and can cut many drives short. We face about 4 more of these than we did last year this season... either the offense evolves a little or we will see less success in our record at years end... our wins against pitt and balt to end the year were gimmies with the state the steelers were in and the ravens playing backups...

hopefully we can hit the big plays when they give them to us.. 

eager for this game....

that browns dolphins game should be very good as well, both of those teams are very similar.. and we play both this year...

Not being snarky or cynical but that is one of my issues with Marvin.

The team always plays up or down to the level of their opponents;

they seem to mirror them or its like they take them for granted and

end up making tight games of fools they should have put away before

half time... games vs Cleveland are usually a lot closer than they should be.

So, yeah and agreed it would be nice to kick them to the curb and keep

the cleats on their throat until the final whistle but... Marvin coached teams

seem to rarely do that.

and I know little about the Bears.

in the past, maybe, the last two seasons, i would disagree. the offense takes what the defense gives them. it is very non-agressive in design, ala 200 Ravens. The dfense is fucking ruthless. didnt they score in the last four games(playoff included)? the defense plays cleats to throat all the time, they are super nasty, and top 3-4 in the league...

when you have a scheme, like our offense, which is super safe, and non-agressive, it comes across as low performance if someone an hang with it and slow it down.. it only takes 4-5 extra stops a game to change the points on the board by 10-14... we will eat teams alive who takes defensive risks and have maualuga type coverage guys, Hawkins and co will eat that shit up. But those D's who can stick to their roles and be consistent, they tend to slow down the scoring quite a bit. Also offenses that keep it safe and clean against us tend to now get tons of sacks or picks. but we also arent letting them put up 30 points either..

the first five games will make or break this season... .500 or better and we are in a decent spot.. 1-4 and we are probably toast..it doesnt get much easier, like last year...

our first five and last four games could be 9 loses if we fuck around with any of those teams...

in the past, maybe, the last two seasons, i would disagree. the offense takes what the defense gives them. it is very non-agressive in design, ala 200 Ravens. The dfense is fucking ruthless. didnt they score in the last four games(playoff included)? the defense plays cleats to throat all the time, they are super nasty, and top 3-4 in the league...

when you have a scheme, like our offense, which is super safe, and non-agressive, it comes across as low performance if someone an hang with it and slow it down.. it only takes 4-5 extra stops a game to change the points on the board by 10-14... we will eat teams alive who takes defensive risks and have maualuga type coverage guys, Hawkins and co will eat that shit up. But those D's who can stick to their roles and be consistent, they tend to slow down the scoring quite a bit. Also offenses that keep it safe and clean against us tend to now get tons of sacks or picks. but we also arent letting them put up 30 points either..

the first five games will make or break this season... .500 or better and we are in a decent spot.. 1-4 and we are probably toast..it doesnt get much easier, like last year...

our first five and last four games could be 9 loses if we fuck around with any of those teams...

Agree 100% and damn it's glad to see non-bitter posts from you.

I have not been able to watch the Bears this preseason but I am sure they have a good team this year. I normally check out the teams depth chart before each game and figure out how our players will match up to theirs.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/preseason_depth_chart.html

I may just be an optimistic Bengals fan but here is why I think we will prevail:

Bengals Offense vs. Bears Defense

1) Eifert and Gresham in the double tight end set and Gio out of the backfield. Looking at Chicagos linebackers DJ Williams, Lance Briggs and James Anderson. These are good players but they are also have 11 years, 10 years and 8 years (not exact order) of football behind them and a lot of wear and tear. Chicago also has two young safeties with Chris Conte (3 years experience) and Major Wright (4 years experience) who are not exactly big name superstars. I ultimately think that the linebackers (who have probably lost a step) and young less-than superstar names will have a hard time being able to cover. I think the linebackers will get tore up with Gresham, Eifert and Gio in pass coverage because they are old. I also think the safeties will get burned by them too. If they bring the safeties up to cover then AJ Green will destroy Charles Tillman.

2) AJ was completely dominant by the end of last year. i believe that Tillman will try to single cover AJ Green until they realize that it won't work (like the Giants tried to do last year). Check out the video of him and also watch Tillman. Granted that these videos were in the pro bowl and it wasn't full-go.

- Touch down on Tillman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyFvrWmbhnM

- Touchdown on Tillman at 33 second mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrVUcG-Yr4c

- Touchdown on Patrick Peterson who many think might be defensive MVP this year at 43 second mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAT4DUpiTQ

Good locker space for Giovani Bernard. His permanent spot now is between AJ Green and Benjarvus Green-Ellis.

Andrew Whitworth called Geno Atkins' talent "unnatural" - and he means that in a flattering way.

Whitworth didn't give a definite yes he'll be ready for Sunday's opener. Would only say he's still working to be ready as soon as he can.

Joe Danneman ‏@FOX19Joe6m
Good locker space for Giovani Bernard. His permanent spot now is between AJ Green and Benjarvus Green-Ellis.
Joe Danneman ‏@FOX19Joe5m
Andrew Whitworth called Geno Atkins' talent "unnatural" - and he means that in a flattering way.
Joe Danneman ‏@FOX19Joe2m
Whitworth didn't give a definite yes he'll be ready for Sunday's opener. Would only say he's still working to be ready as soon as he can.

Getting the feeling Whit may wind up missing the first couple games.

Whitworth, Still, Newman, Ghee not practicing as we begin the regular-season mode #bengals

But fully expect DT Henry Melton to be ready to go vs #Bengals as he worked in practice again today.

Trestman says WR Earl Bennett "ran well today. He was involved in reps." Says it is plausible he could play on Sunday. Too early to tell.

Emery says he expects Brandon Marshall to be fully ready to go to start season with hip issue.

Marvin's message to the players during stretching: "Re-find your focus".

Whitworth at #Bengals practice but working on side rehab field. Ghee, Newman and Still also not practicing.

Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson all exchanged hand shakes with the final Hard Knocks crew. Final day of shooting

Archived