3 Keys to beating Da Bears:

1. Ball security.  The Bears are great at generating turnovers, especially Tillman.  AJ's habit of carrying the ball away from his body scares me in this game.

2. Contain Devin Hester.  Nuff said.

3. Keep Cutler on the run.  They actually have some good skill guys.  We need to keep Cutler from getting comfortable out there.

I'll ad to this.

4. Stopping Pepper vs AC. They'll need Gresham to have a big game in the blocking category.

roland130120_645.jpg
Dennis Roland

The final Bengals roster move before Sunday's opener in Chicago (1 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 12) is expected to come before Wednesday's practice and indications via media reports and elsewhere are that backup right tackle Dennis Roland returns to the club when wide receiver Andrew Hawkins (ankle) goes on injured reserve-recall, shelving him until the second half of the season.

With the status of left tackle Andrew Whitworth (knee) cloudy after he hasn't practiced in a couple of weeks and right tackle Andre Smith (knee) missing the preseason finale with a tweak, the six-year veteran Roland gives the Bengals some backup at right tackle and brings the total of offensive linemen to 10.

Former Bengals linebacker Thomas Howard, a year removed from tearing his ACL, worked out Tuesday but there were no indications the club is going to sign him in the near future as it continues to monitor his progress.

It’s also expected via multiple media reports that the Bengals will sign former Jets quarterback Greg McElroy to the practice squad Wednesday if he clears waivers and passes muster when he arrives from an injury settlement. It's unclear what the injury is, but it's not supposed to keep him out of action long.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Last-roster-move-expected-before-Wednesday-workout/26d81b0f-d179-4aef-8385-a1eeb567849f

Andy Dalton is 6-2 as a starting quarterback against NFC teams in his career.

Bengals are 4-1 all-time in Chicago and 6-3 all-time against the Bears.

Bengals nearing sell outs in first three home games http://sbn.to/14gZsLn 

I think the Bengals will win because of some key matchups that work to our advantage.

1. Sanu vs. Jennings - Jennings is a ball hawking cb who lead the NFL in int's with 9 but he will be physically out matched vs. Sanu. Sanu should have plenty of one on one matchups with Jennings as Green, Gresham, and Eifert will get a lot of attention from the other cb's and safeties. Jennings is small at 5'8" 185 lbs and Sanu should be able to use his strength and height to his advantage, especially on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

2. Dunlap vs. Mills- Mills is a rookie 5th round pick who is starting at RT for the Bears in their latest attempt to protect Cutler, the scouting report on Mills is that he's a good powerful athlete who has a tendency to hold because of his slow feet. Dunlap on the other hand has one of the quickest first steps in the NFL and should be fresh after not playing a snap in the preseason. Dunlap received a big time pay day this offseason and should be ready to go on week 1. I expect the dline to dominate the line of scrimmage and keep Cutler uncomfortable all game long. The money the Bengals invested in the dline this offseason should pay immediate dividends in week 1.

3. Bengals TE vs. Bears LB's and S - The LB 's and S's aren't a tall bunch with S Chris Conte at 6'2 the tallest member of the group. Gresham and Eifert are 6'5" and 6'6" respectively and they have the athletic advantage as well. Our TE's should be able to out run the Bears LB's as they are an older bunch and they should be able to out jump the Bears safeties, especially if they find themselves in a one on one vs. Major Wright..at 5'11" he is giving up a lot of height to both Gresham and Eifert. Wright is a ballhawk but I like our TE's in this matchup.

4. Collins vs. Peppers - With Butterbean looking like he won't go vs. the Bears it seems like AC will get the start at LT and I expect him to have a great game vs. perennial pro bowler Julius Peppers. Reports are that Peppers his "licking his chops" at prospects of facing Anthony Collins but in the words of the great Lee Corso...not so fast my friend. Collins is not your average backup, he could start for more than half the teams in the league and he's the second best T on the team..imo. I think Collins will take advantage of the opportunity and show the NFL that he can play with the best players in the league. Overall I think our oline will hold up the Bears pass rush and give Dalton, who routinely gets the ball out of his hands quickly enough time to get it to the playmakers.

Vegas has the O/U at 42, which I think is fair...Bengals 31 Bears 10.

http://www.dabears.com/threads/who-ya-got-take-yer-pick-bangles-at-bears.501/page-2

Not a single prediction for a Bears loss. Seems they think very highly of their team.

My favorite prediction appears below and seems to be ample proof that at least one of those "busters" was very high.

From Henry Melton:

Home field, Bengals. More proven team, Bengals. Better overall talent on offense, Bengals.

With all that said,

Bears 38
Miami 27

I think the Bengals will win because of some key matchups that work to our advantage.

1. Sanu vs. Jennings - Jennings is a ball hawking cb who lead the NFL in int's with 9 but he will be physically out matched vs. Sanu. Sanu should have plenty of one on one matchups with Jennings as Green, Gresham, and Eifert will get a lot of attention from the other cb's and safeties. Jennings is small at 5'8" 185 lbs and Sanu should be able to use his strength and height to his advantage, especially on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

2. Dunlap vs. Mills- Mills is a rookie 5th round pick who is starting at RT for the Bears in their latest attempt to protect Cutler, the scouting report on Mills is that he's a good powerful athlete who has a tendency to hold because of his slow feet. Dunlap on the other hand has one of the quickest first steps in the NFL and should be fresh after not playing a snap in the preseason. Dunlap received a big time pay day this offseason and should be ready to go on week 1. I expect the dline to dominate the line of scrimmage and keep Cutler uncomfortable all game long. The money the Bengals invested in the dline this offseason should pay immediate dividends in week 1.

3. Bengals TE vs. Bears LB's and S - The LB 's and S's aren't a tall bunch with S Chris Conte at 6'2 the tallest member of the group. Gresham and Eifert are 6'5" and 6'6" respectively and they have the athletic advantage as well. Our TE's should be able to out run the Bears LB's as they are an older bunch and they should be able to out jump the Bears safeties, especially if they find themselves in a one on one vs. Major Wright..at 5'11" he is giving up a lot of height to both Gresham and Eifert. Wright is a ballhawk but I like our TE's in this matchup.

4. Collins vs. Peppers - With Butterbean looking like he won't go vs. the Bears it seems like AC will get the start at LT and I expect him to have a great game vs. perennial pro bowler Julius Peppers. Reports are that Peppers his "licking his chops" at prospects of facing Anthony Collins but in the words of the great Lee Corso...not so fast my friend. Collins is not your average backup, he could start for more than half the teams in the league and he's the second best T on the team..imo. I think Collins will take advantage of the opportunity and show the NFL that he can play with the best players in the league. Overall I think our oline will hold up the Bears pass rush and give Dalton, who routinely gets the ball out of his hands quickly enough time to get it to the playmakers.

Vegas has the O/U at 42, which I think is fair...Bengals 31 Bears 10.

You had me until number four. I think we should expect peppers to make his plays, but I do agree AC isn't your average backup. I think AC will do ok, enough to keep peppers from really having a field day but he won't shut him out. Hope I'm wrong and you're right.

QUICK FACTS

• TV: CBS with Jim Nantz and Phil Simms 
• Radio: WLW-AM (700), WCKY-AM (1530) and WEBN-FM (102.7). 
• Early line: Bears by 3 
• Series: Bengals lead 6-3 and are 4-1 at Soldier Field. The last meeting was in 2009 at Paul Brown Stadium, which the Bengals won 45-10. 
• Preseason records: Bengals 3-1, Bears 2-2 
• Bengals 2012 league rankings: Offense 22nd (18th rushing,17th passing); Defense 8th (6th rushing, 12th passing) 
• Bears 2012 league rankings: Offense 28th (10th rushing, 29th passing); Defense 5th (8th rushing, 8th passing) 

KEY NUMBER: 18 
Touchdowns via returns by Devin Hester. Twelve have come on punts, which is an NFL record, five on kickoffs and one off a missed field goal. Deion Sanders holds the record with 19. 

CONNECTIONS:
• Among Bengals: Defensive backs coach Mark Carrier played seven seasons at safety for the Bears (1990-96) and was the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1990. … WR Andrew Hawkins played for Trestman on the Montreal Alouettes Grey Cup championship teams of 2009-10. ... Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is from Peoria, Ill., and played at Illinois State. … WR Dane Sanzenbacher played for the Bears from 2011-12. ... Bengals assistant strength and conditioning coach Jeff Friday coached at Illinois State from 1990-91 and Northwestern from 1992-95. ... LB Jayson DiManche played at Southern Illinois. 
• With Miami University: Offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer played and coached at the school from 1990-98. … Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker was defensive backs coach in 1999. He also was an assistant at Ohio State from 2001-04. 
• Others: RB Michael Bush is from Louisville and played at U of L from 2003-06. ... Wide receivers coach Mike Groh coached at Louisville in 2010. ... Defensive backs coach Jon Hoke is from Kettering.

BEARS TO WATCH

• QB Jay Cutler: Going into his eighth season, he has a 51-42 record as a starter, including 34-22 in his four years with Chicago. He is the first quarterback in franchise history to have three 3,000-yard passing seasons, including 3,033 yards last year. Cutler has played the Bengals twice and is 1-1 with three touchdowns and four interceptions. He is 4-1 in openers with 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions. 

• DE Julius Peppers: His 111.5 sacks are second-most in the NFL since he came into the league with Carolina in 2002. His 37 forced fumbles are tied for fourth. According to Pro Football Focus, eight of Peppers’ 11.5 sacks and 45 of his 57 pressures last season came when lined up on the right side. His biggest strength is using an inside move, as 42.1 percent of his pressures were the result of that.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130903/SPT02/309030129

Okay, well.. I see now that it's almost time for the foregone conclusion that is Sunday's game.

Not gonna be pretty!

Bengals!

Who Dey!!

Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bengals were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Against Da Bears?

Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Bengals 18, Bears 10. And that would finally be a good game.

Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bengals 24, Bears 14.

Okay, gentlemen, another scenario: Da Bengals, they don't make it, the plane is delayed.. and the only one who shows up is Marvin. Marvin vs. Da Bears. Okay, score, gentlemen.

If Marvin wins the coin toss, Marvin 37, Bears 0. Otherwise Marvin 30, Bears 3.

But what if it was just a tiny little Micro Marvin, like 6 inches tall, against the whole Bears team?

Alright, after da heart attack, I gotta say Micro Marvin 17, Bears 14. He just barely gets by.

Alright, that sounds exciting. Perhaps, you know, a late Micro Marvin field goal.

Bengals!

Who Dey!!

Archived