Cleveland Browns, Les Miserables

• 8 months later...

Browns fans absolutely deserve every bad thing that happens to them and their team.  Never ever feel sorry for them.

Hell, even when the original Browns were in town, their dickish behavior and the general "sue first, ask questions later" attitude that has become the de facto way of life up on the North Coast was evident.  Here's a letter written by a Browns fan.  He was an attorney at the time, and felt it necessary to try to "bully" the Browns by writing this letter on his office's official letterhead:

1293036840-picture_755.png

The Browns, who were owned by Uncle Art at the time, responded in a manner appropriate and fitting to this ass-hat's attitude:

1293036449-picture_754.png

Source: http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2010/12/22/absolutely-epic-1974-letter-from-cleveland-browns-to-a-fan

Additional info...

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/browns.asp

This correspondence is in fact real, as Michael Heaton of the Cleveland Plain Dealer determined by tracking down both of the principals in late 2010, who vouched for its authenticity. Browns general counsel James Bailey, then 66 and living in San Diego, told Heaton that:

It's surprising. I've gotten lots of calls from old friends who have seen the letter on the Internet.

I was all of 28 years old when I wrote that letter. I should have been more cautious. I'm just glad my mother's not around to see that letter.

After I wrote it, I heard about it right away from [Browns owner] Art Modell. He said something like, 'What the hell are you doing?' He was not a guy lacking passion.

Dale Cox, formerly of the Roetzel & Andress law firm, who in 2010 was 72 with a private practice in Orofino, Idaho, also recalled for Heaton his memories of the exchange:

I'm still a Browns season-ticket holder. I found out that Bailey and I both went to the University of Michigan Law School.

No [I wasn't angry with his response]. I thought it was pretty cool. I've used that letter a couple times myself since.

Archived