Artist nails his scrotum to the ground in Red Square

Numbers

Nuts...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you nail your nuts to the ground ?

• Yes...
    • No not me no way not anyone else either...
    • No but I would nail someone elses nuts there...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/11/artist-nails-testicles-red-square-pyotr-pavlensky

Screen-Shot-2013-11-11-at-10.28.53-PM-80

Artist nails his scrotum to the ground in Red Square

Performance artist Pyotr Pavlensky stages protest at 'apathy, political indifference and fatalism of Russian society'

Red Square has seen a lot over the centuries, from public executions to giant military parades, but a performance artist broke new ground on Sunday when he nailed his scrotum to cobblestones in a painful act of protest.

Pyotr Pavlensky said the protest was his response to Russia's descent into a "police state" and was timed to coincide with Police Day, which Russia's law enforcement officials celebrated on Sunday.

"The performance can be seen as a metaphor for the apathy, political indifference and fatalism of contemporary Russian society," Pavlensky said in a statement. "As the government turns the country into one big prison, stealing from the people and using the money to grow and enrich the police apparatus and other repressive structures, society is allowing this, and forgetting its numerical advantage, is bringing the triumph of the police state closer by its inaction."

After reading this the first thought into my head was not the pain that most surely followed but how far is a person willing to go in political protest ?

One of my cats occasionally takes a dump in one of the bathtubs. One evening, after many beers (for me) and some catnip (for Lil Pooter) we had a magical telepathic conversation during which she explained her motives:

"Yeah, that's right. I crapped in your bathtub. I'll do it again, too. I do it to protest your humanoid animal tyranny--you feed me Friskies when I want Fancy Feast; you don't open the shades at the crack of dawn so I can see the bird feeder; and...and...and this really ticks me off--you won't let me hang out in the garage during the winter. Who cares if it's cold out there. Dammit, I got fur. Thus, in order to show solidarity with all the other oppressed cats in the world, I will leave a slippery, gooey mess right next to the drain. It's my way of warning you that when the Dictatorship of the Purrlatariat becomes a reality, you will be in deep shit. Oh, and clean the cat box every now and again, asshole."

One of my cats occasionally takes a dump in one of the bathtubs. One evening, after many beers (for me) and some catnip (for Lil Pooter) we had a magical telepathic conversation during which she explained her motives:

"Yeah, that's right. I crapped in your bathtub. I'll do it again, too. I do it to protest your humanoid animal tyranny--you feed me Friskies when I want Fancy Feast; you don't open the shades at the crack of dawn so I can see the bird feeder; and...and...and this really ticks me off--you won't let me hang out in the garage during the winter. Who cares if it's cold out there. Dammit, I got fur. Thus, in order to show solidarity with all the other oppressed cats in the world, I will leave a slippery, gooey mess right next to the drain. It's my way of warning you that when the Dictatorship of the Purrlatariat becomes a reality, you will be in deep shit. Oh, and clean the cat box every now and again, asshole."

:24:

I do agree with the nut-nailer that Russia seems to be an even worse manifestation of a police state than some of the nutters here in the US think we are. And it wouldn't surprise me given the USSR's (and Russia was always the powerbase of that collection of Soviet States) reputation for "disappering" people, or just outright murdering them...or if they were feeling merciful, sending them to a gulag for having a contrary political opinion.

:24:

Archived