With the 24th Pick in the 2014 NFL DRAFT the Bengals select DARQUEZE DENNARD!!

@pauldehnerjr: Mark Dantonio on Dennard: "He will be an All-Pro in the NFL. Write it down." #Bengals

Just read a quote by his D-Coordinator at MSU that said he thought he was the best defensive player in the country and wouldn't trade him for any other player in college football.  It's the home crowd, but that's still high praise.

"I don't think the Bengals expected him to be available. Dennard is the best press cornerback in this draft. He fits what defensive coordinator Paul Guenther wants to do. He is one of best pure football players in this draft."  Mike Mayock

734d7441-1f61-4537-8dce-fbb389b1a725_zps

I was ruing the thought of having to choose between the likes of Shazier and Roby.  They felt like settling, whereas Dennard was one of the very few players I could really get excited about in this round, and the only one we had a realistic chance of getting.

size_zps90863044.jpg From NFL.com ...

Overview

His name is pronounced "DAR-kwez duh-NARD." His cousin, Alfonzo Dennard, is a cornerback with the Patriots. Two-way standout as a Georgia prep. As a senior in 2009, he caught 11 touchdown passes, returned two of his nine interceptions for scores and ran back two punts for touchdowns. Also lettered in basketball and track. Saw action in six games (two starts at boundary corner) as a true freshman in 2010, recording 11 tackles, zero pass breakups and zero interceptions with two tackles for loss, one sack and one forced fumble. Did not see action in two early season games (coach's decision) and missed the final five games with a knee injury. Made 11 starts at boundary corner in '11 and totaled 42-3-3 with one tackle for loss. Tied a Spartans bowl-game record with two interceptions in an Outback Bowl victory over Georgia, including a 38-yard touchdown return. Missed three games with an ankle injury. Started 13 games at field corner in '12, tallying 52-7-3 with 3.5 tackles for loss. After the season, he underwent double hernia surgery and was limited in spring drills.

Was the Jim Thorpe Award winner as the nation's best defensive back in '13, starting 14 times at boundary corner and recording 62-10-4 with 3.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Became the first Spartans cornerback to earn unanimous first-team All-America honors and also was selected as the Big Ten's Defensive Back of the Year. Team captain. Did not do drills at the NFL Scouting Combine because of a left hamstring injury. 

Strengths

Looks the part -- well-proportioned, muscular physique with strong calves and thin ankles. Good press strength. Controlled, efficient pedal. Field-fast with competitive play speed. Transitions cleanly in man-off coverage. Has very good eyes and anticipation and reacts quickly to what he sees. Good pattern recognition -- sorts out what he sees quickly. Stays in the hip pocket downfield. Swift speed turn. Likeable personality. Accountable with leadership traits.

Weaknesses

Has been slowed by injuries and durability needs to be examined closely (double hernia surgery). Showed some hip stiffness in combine drills. Was not asked to play a lot of zone coverage. Could stand to get functionally stronger and work to disengage from blocks. Could show more consistent willingness to support the run and set a hard edge. Selective physicality.

Draft Projection: Round 1

Bottom Line

Solidly built, athletic, instinctive, press-man cover man who took his game to another level as a senior. Brings intensity, confidence and competitiveness to the corner. Offers size to lock horns with bigger receivers, and has a ceiling as a No. 2 cover man.

Safe pick. Nothing spectacular imo bUT will be a solid pro. #2 corner

Need to move up and get a qb to replace Dalton tomorrow.

You people that keep saying this realize there is 0% chance of this happening right?

Need to move up and get a qb to replace Dalton tomorrow.

Won't happen.  A QB to back him up at some point, maybe.  But to replace?  If the Bengals saw a QB to credibly replace Dalton in this draft they would have taken him with their first pick because the position is that important.  It's not like CB was a blazing need over the freaking QB position if you think you are bad enough there that your starter needs replacing.  Furthermore, I'd argue that they could easily have traded up for Johnny Manziel if they had wanted to, as he would have been available to them for a 3rd or 4th round pick just a few spots before.  This is not a team that is acting in any way like it needs to replace it's QB in this draft.

Going to be some real battles for playing time at CB this year with Hall, Newman, Jones, Kirkpatrick and Dennard.

Going forward, Newman is a FA after this season and I'd be shocked if he's back in 2015. Leon Hall is still relatively young (not even 30 yet) and under contract through the 2015 season, but his cap number is almost $10M next season. The Bengals love him, but you wonder if there will be some pressure to restructure. Or perhaps they can get an extension next offseason that lowers that 2015 number. Dre has to be "on notice" that playing time isn't going to be given to him and he better really step up his play. Same with Adam Jones. 

Edit to add: There has always been some talk that when Leon slowed down a little bit with age, he'd be a candidate to transition to FS like Rod Woodson and some other guys have done. That could actually make some sense in 2015 and beyond if Dennard pans out and Dre K. picks it up. You could have those 2 starting and Adam Jones as the nickel. Then Leon and Reggie Nelson at Safety 

I was ruing the thought of having to choose between the likes of Shazier and Roby.  They felt like settling, whereas Dennard was one of the very few players I could really get excited about in this round, and the only one we had a realistic chance of getting.

From Marvin's press conference, it seemed like they had Roby as the backup option. I forget the exact thing but he mentioned having multiple guys at the position and when asked about his relationship with Dantonio he said yeah, but we also have a great relationship with (he paused) the other teams in the area. And I think he was about to say OSU before catching himself. 

Based on some of the stuff Guenther said, it does sound like they probably had Dennard rated a good deal higher (or they wouldn't have been so excited). But, if I had to bet, I think Roby was the next highest guy on their board based on some of the PC comments.

My thing about Dennard, like Joe Haden (who he has been compared to) is that he was the consensus best CB during the actual season, when players were based on their play.  The guy won the Thorpe award over Gilbert and the others for a reason. 

NEW YORK -- With the 24th pick in the first round, the Cincinnati Bengals select Michigan St. cornerback Darqueze Dennard.

Dennard is considered the most physical cornerback in the 2014 draft class, and should vie for playing time from the moment he steps onto an NFL field. A three-year starter at Michigan St., his senior season was his best. Dennard was a consensus All-American and Thorpe Award winner -- a first in school in history -- who allowed just three receptions (on 31 attempts) of 15 yards or more all season.

CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco gave the Bengals a B+ for the pick.

And unlike some cornerbacks in this draft, Dennard has shown consistency throughout his college career; as a junior in 2012, he had 10 pass breakups and three interceptions. He's also a willing tackler, especially in the running game, a trait that can't be overlooked in today's NFL, even if running backs, in general, have become undervalued.

If there's a criticism against Dennard, it's that he's not a burner (he ran 4.51 at the combine) and that he tends to get a little handsy with receivers downfield. In college, that's perfectly legal; in the NFL, he'll be flagged every time. That said, he's an outstanding cover corner, with good ball skills who is seldom beat deep.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24555397/nfl-draft-bengals-select-cb-darqueze-dennard-with-24th-pick

* Video analysis at the link above ^

Archived