With the 24th Pick in the 2014 NFL DRAFT the Bengals select DARQUEZE DENNARD!!

NFL Draft Report data shared by Dave-Te' Thomas of Scouting Services on Steelersdepot.com shows Dennard played cornerback at Michigan State last season more effectively than any other cornerback of the the BCS era (1998-2014).

Dennard had 111 passes targeted to his area last season, and only 17 were completed (15.32 percent) for 91 yards. He defended 14 passes, with four interceptions and 10 deflections. On 55.86 percent of those passes, Dennard re-routed or jammed his man away from the ball.

Receivers averaged 5.35 yards per reception against Dennard, the lowest figure by any defensive back since the BCS era begin in 1998.

The 0.8198 yards per pass attempt is the lowest since The NFL Draft Report began compiling in-depth statistics in 1968. For some perspective on that, two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Deion Sanders held teams to 0.935 yards per attempt in 1988 at Florida State.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2014/05/darqueze_dennard_the_nfl_draft.html

comment-friday-damn.jpg

Here's the scouting report from BoMcGinn where he polls a bunch of NFL scouts (they had Dennard ranked 2nd, behind Gilbert but ahead of Fuller):

2. DARQUEZE DENNARD, Michigan State (5-11, 197, 4.42, 1) – "He's more polished than Gilbert," said one scout. "Just not as talented. Real good in press." Three-year starter played almost exclusively man coverage from the bump zone. "He'll be a starter," another scout said. "He's not going to be great as a rookie. He likes to use his hands a lot downfield. He'll be a penalty player in our league. It will take him a little time to get out of that habit." Just 30 students were in his graduating class in Dry Branch, Ga. Didn't have a single scholarship offer until Spartans entered the picture late in senior season. "He's not the athlete the other two (Bradley Roby, Gilbert) are but he has great ball skills and makes plays," another scout said. "He has a ceiling because of athleticism, speed and quickness. Things that make him a first-rounder are ball skills, instincts and awareness. There's guys that play a long time because they have those qualities." Durability is a significant question. Underwent double hernia surgery after the 2012 season, and the doctors for one team say he might have to have a similar surgery again, according to one of that team's scouts. "He's had concussions and shoulder problems in the past, and that affects his tackling sometimes," a fourth scout said. Finished with 10 picks and 20 passes defensed.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-defensive-backs-b99262399z1-258218161.html#ixzz31CFmkUC4 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Leon, Newman, Jones, Kirkpatrick and Dennard.  May be good enough for one more year.  Can't count on Newman and Jones next year though.  Another mid-round corner wouldn't both me at all and if Aaron Colvin drops due to his knee, I wouldn't mind nabbing him as a "redshirt."

I'm not ready to give up on Kirkpatrick, but with his length, I might consider a move to FS if he can't overcome his penchant for biting so frequently on double moves.  With his ranginess, FS might help him keep the play in front of him.

Jones is coming off the best year of his career.

Woke up...and I still F*$&&( love this pick!  What a coup, man.  He is the type of physical we need for this defense.  Not quite a ball-hawk, but thats not saying he can't develop into one because he just stays on the hip of his man.  I imagine he has to end up playing LCB and Dre will probably be a future RCB.  Hell, I think he could start at LCB tomorrow with Leon at RCB, but I expect them to break him in slowly.

Just saw an article that he sprained his ankle at practice two days before the Rose Bowl.  Couldn't walk the next day, held the dude he was playing against to 3 catches for 21 yards.

The rotoworld metrics for CBS posted awhile back had Dennard as the best coverage backer, BY FAR.  We win round 1.  

Here's the scouting report from BoMcGinn where he polls a bunch of NFL scouts (they had Dennard ranked 2nd, behind Gilbert but ahead of Fuller):

2. DARQUEZE DENNARD, Michigan State (5-11, 197, 4.42, 1)  "He's more polished than Gilbert," said one scout. "Just not as talented. Real good in press." Three-year starter played almost exclusively man coverage from the bump zone. "He'll be a starter," another scout said. "He's not going to be great as a rookie. He likes to use his hands a lot downfield. He'll be a penalty player in our league. It will take him a little time to get out of that habit." Just 30 students were in his graduating class in Dry Branch, Ga. Didn't have a single scholarship offer until Spartans entered the picture late in senior season. "He's not the athlete the other two (Bradley Roby, Gilbert) are but he has great ball skills and makes plays," another scout said. "He has a ceiling because of athleticism, speed and quickness. Things that make him a first-rounder are ball skills, instincts and awareness. There's guys that play a long time because they have those qualities." Durability is a significant question. Underwent double hernia surgery after the 2012 season, and the doctors for one team say he might have to have a similar surgery again, according to one of that team's scouts. "He's had concussions and shoulder problems in the past, and that affects his tackling sometimes," a fourth scout said. Finished with 10 picks and 20 passes defensed.Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-defensive-backs-b99262399z1-258218161.html#ixzz31CFmkUC4 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

That sounds about right.

Gilbert has mega talent, but I could see him getting burned some as he's a bit of a gambler... He got better as a senior but his junior year he got stung quite a bit. Roby was the opposite as far as his junior and senior year productivity.

What I love about Dennard is, he's tough, smart, and fearless. He plays with a confident demeanor, and he's the type of guy who comes up with the big play when you need it most. I'd rather that, than have a guy who is more talented that you can't depend on, or who gets sloppy with technique when it's a most critical point in a game. Like any rookie, he will need work especially with his active hands being over aggressive n coverage, but I'd say he's more pro ready than Gilbert and Roby. I can see starting out that he could play in the nickel and dine, and on STs as well.

Exactly who I wanted (and predicted) for months!! Super happy.
Zach Mettenberger next.

No thank you.
Hey Harley, what's the take on the Iggles taking Marcus Smith? The best one I have seen today was "Reid'd". Then "Mamula's choice".lol.

A breakdown of Darqueze Dennard's play

May, 9, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

Three Cincinnati Bengals coaches spoke glowingly Thursday night about cornerback Darqueze Dennard's physical style when they met with reporters to discuss the Michigan State cornerback's selection at 24th overall.

But don't only take it from them. The following is a scouting review of Dennard from ESPN Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg. Adam originally crafted this for my ESPN NFL Nation colleague Michael Rothstein, who covers the Lions. It had appeared for a while that Dennard would be taken somewhere in the No. 10-20 range of the first round. The Bengals didn't really expect him to still be on the board at No. 24.

As a result, most mocks had the Bengals taking either Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech) or Bradley Roby (Ohio State) near the end of the first round.

Fuller went 14th. Roby ended up going to Denver at No. 31.

Anyway, take a look at Rittenberg's comments on Dennard. They come from a more objective place than the Bengals' brass, but they actually mirror a lot of what Cincinnati's staff said:
"Unlike many college teams, Michigan State consistently puts its cornerbacks on islands so it can bring pressure from other points on the field. Darqueze Dennard thrived in this system, particularly as the leader of the Spartans' "No Fly Zone" secondary in 2013.

"He's fast and physical and plays the ball well, recording 10 career interceptions. He lacks exceptional size but matched up well physically with most top opposing wideouts. Dennard's work in zone coverage is limited because Michigan State plays so much man, so he'll have to prove himself as a complete corner in the NFL. He would be better suited on a defense that employs an aggressive scheme and likes to press on the outside.

"The concerns about Dennard's health seem unfounded. He showed no ill effects from double-hernia surgery before the 2013 season and started 29 consecutive games to end his college career. Dennard plays well in big games, standing out in Michigan State's bowl wins against Stanford and Georgia, and forcing a fumble in the 2013 Big Ten championship against Ohio State.

"Dennard had an exceptional senior season, although he didn't face two of the Big Ten's top receivers in Penn State's Allen Robinson and Wisconsin's Jared Abbrederis. He's an extremely hard worker, an overlooked recruit from a no-stoplight town in Georgia (Dry Branch) who only came to Michigan State when an assistant noticed him while recruiting another player.

"Bottom line: Dennard has a chance to become an elite NFL corner, especially if he excels in zone coverage. But he'll be a solid addition to any secondary."

-- Adam Rittenberg

Bengals add depth with Darqueze Dennard

May, 9, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- When Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther saw Darqueze Dennard practice in person for the first time, he had an immediate revelation.

It was that day that Guenther joined Bengals co-defensive backs coach Vance Joseph in realizing that Dennard might be the key to helping them connect their team's cornerback past with its future. When the pair looked at the way the self-proclaimed "shutdown cornerback" used his hands and feet in drills they had designed for him, they were reminded of a player they already knew quite well.

"[We] said, 'That's Leon Hall,'" Guenther said.

From his on-field mannerisms, to his physical style of play, to his soft-spoken yet still assertive way of talking, so much about Dennard reminded the two coaches of Hall, one of their veteran cornerbacks who is in the final stages of rehabilitation from an injury that cut short his 2013 season. It was that day that had Guenther and Joseph convinced: if by some miracle Dennard was still available when the Bengals' first-round pick came around in this year's draft, the team would pounce on him.

Cincinnati did just that in Thursday night's opening round, taking Dennard at No. 24.

About the only place where the Hall-Dennard comparisons end is with respect to the players' alma maters. Dennard, like Bengals defensive tackle Domata Peko, hails from Michigan State. Hall is the team's resident Michigan man, known to occasionally needle his teammates who went to Michigan State or Ohio State.

"I'm not going to hold that against him," Dennard said of Hall's college choice.

With a bevy of aging corners that included the likes of Hall, Adam Jones and Terence Newman, the Bengals entered this draft cycle believing it was time to start thinking about the future at the position.

Dennard won't start right away, but he gives the Bengals the right understudy.

There are good reasons to believe that the Dennard experiment will go well. For starters, Dennard possesses a fearlessness that has head coach Marvin Lewis giddy.

"In [Michigan State's] scheme, they really switched and were a big-time pressure defense over the last year," Lewis said. "So he's been out there [on an island] by himself quite a bit. He's got a great feel of being around receivers, he's not afraid. Part of playing in that job back there at cornerback is that you can't be scared. He has that great feel around him. He can run and cover and get his hands on guys. That's what you've got to have in a cornerback."

You also want to trust your cornerback, something Joseph seems hopeful about doing with Dennard.

"He's got a very high floor," Joseph said. "So if he drops, it shouldn't be very far."

Each of the coaches credited Dennard's fundamental, physical and constantly jamming style of play as a major reason why he was perfect for their aggressive, man-based scheme.

"He played good people, so I would say, 'Yes. He's probably the most physical corner in the draft,'" Joseph said. "In this league if you're a technique-sound corner and you play smart, you can play a long time. It's guys that don't make a bunch of plays, but that don't give up big plays. That's the key in this league is to be consistent and smart, to be tough and competitive. He's that."

Anybody hear anything about a twitter war involving Pac?

lol, I just saw someone said something like who are you going to be when they cut you for the kid they just picked.  Pac called him a P$$$Y.  Not that he is going to get cut, but he has some unbelievably thin skin.  

Anybody hear anything about a twitter war involving Pac?

Just read it, "war" might be a big of an exaggeration.  Some 14-yr old kid, I'd say Pac should know better but.. Yeah...

XBOX Live level of shit-talking.

:37:

Dennard allowed 17 catches for 91yds.

All Season.

Damn

Only real transition he's gonna have to make from what ive read about him is learning to let the WR go after 5 yards since he is so good at the press and did it in college for the entire route he defended against wont be able to do that in the NFL, that's really the only thing missing from his game from what I can tell.

Damn

Only real transition he's gonna have to make from what ive read about him is learning to let the WR go after 5 yards since he is so good at the press and did it in college for the entire route he defended against wont be able to do that in the NFL, that's really the only thing missing from his game from what I can tell.

may have been lying, but watched his interview from the combine a few minutes ago.  He said he did it, because it was within the college rules.  Says he'll have no problem adjusting to the NFL rules.

Sounds like a Seattle and Pittsburgh kind of guy.  "I'm gonna get away with as much as I can get away with." Also along the lines of Burfict as far as some of his big hits.

Archived