With the 24th Pick in the 2014 NFL DRAFT the Bengals select DARQUEZE DENNARD!!

@GeoffHobsonCin: Another great slide for @Bengals. Dennard was in top 10 on their board

@GeoffHobsonCin: Guenther and Joseph went to campus workout and said: He's another Leon

@GeoffHobsonCin: Lewis says Bengals had trade offers but wanted to keep picks

@GeoffHobsonCin: Guenther: we can ease him in. He can play slot as good tackler

@GeoffHobsonCin: Joseph: he's in the mix to start. Why not?

Was it 4.41 or 4.51?  On CBS it said 4.41 but on NFLN they said 4.51.

cbs also reported he ran a "verified 4.38 forty:"

Darqueze Dennard cannot beat Justin Gilbert in a footrace, but he is closer to the total package as an NFL cornerback than Oklahoma State's flashy and fast cover man.

Dennard starred at Michigan State as a lockdown cornerback. He is knocked for what scouts term "tight hips" and ankles, which limit his suddeness and agility, especially when turning to run and accelerate at the top of a route. In scouting terms, he is not a twitchy athlete. Gilbert could define that term. He has straight-line speed to spare -- witness his 4.37 TV time at the NFL Scouting Combine -- and moves with ease in all directions despite very good size.

Dennard is nicked for being too grabby in the man-press scheme he starred in at Michigan State. But he is a rare commodity for NFL scouts -- a ready-made cover man with proven ability in this type of bump coverage.

Tuesday, Dennard added to his resume with a workout that displayed he has more than adequate short-area explosiveness.

Dennard led all Spartans with a 36-inch vertical -- Gilbert went 35 1/2 at the combine -- and his broad jump was 11-2 (Gilbert went 10-5 in Indianapolis). Only Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk had a broad jump of 11-2 of all players tested at the event.

Fit is of dire importance for Dennard, who needs to be in a scheme that emphasizes his physical brand of football and downplays the kind of freelancing that some scouts believe makes Gilbert more of a boom-or-bust prospect.

He could come off the board in the top 10 but isn't likely to slide below the middle of the round. Chicago -- especially if the Bears lose Pro Bowl veteran Charles Tillman in free agency -- could be a fit at No. 14. There might be no better match than the Pittsbugh Steelers at 15. Head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert represented the team in East Lansing Tuesday.

The Steelers are in need of young playmakers on defense -- especially those that come at a relatively cheap cost.

It could be hauntingly similar to 2007 for the Steelers, when Darrelle Revis went 14th to the New York Jets and Pittsburgh drafted linebacker Lawrence Timmons 15th.

Here's a tale of the tape for consideration:

Darrelle Revis (2007, 14): 6-0, 204, 4.35 (fastest verified time), 10-5 broad, 38-inch VJ Patrick Peterson (2011, 5th pick): 6-0, 219, 4.31 (fastest verified), 10-6 broad, 36-inch VJ Stephon Gilmore (2012, 10): 6-1, 190, 4.38 (fastest verified), 10-3 broad, 36-inch VJ

Darqueze Dennard (2014): 5-11, 199, 4.38 (fastest verified), 11-2 broad, 36-inch VJ

This is a guy that's been a projected first rounder for a while which means his play warranted it.

He got mocked consistently in top half because his work outs confirmed it.

It's amazing how they let the draft come to them and get these guys.

@GeoffHobsonCin: Lewis says Bengals had trade offers but wanted to keep picks

I said earlier in this draft that there were two guys left with 6 picks to go that I wouldn't trade down for.  Dennard was one. Of course, the trade down was a hypothetical fantasy in my scenario.  Good to see that Marvin and Company actually had the opportunity and didn't take it.

while that's great to hear, I've learned that the Bengals' boards, don't include all picks, just the picks they hope to get.  

yeah, but that's what we want, isn't it? I mean, Tyler Eifert was top 8 on our board last year, yet somehow fell to the 20s. 

In that link on how they make their board someone posted, it said the bengals whittle the draft down to about 300 players they think have draftable grades -- and THEN whittle that down to about 100 guys they think fit them.  I'm just happy that what fits them doesn't seem to fit everyone else, because we've been killing the draft for years and this year, so far, is no exception.

:drinks:

Worked out pretty perfectly. I think he was the last guy left on the board that was worth 24 and they'd have traded down if he wasn't there. The Manziel pick was big for us as I think Philly might have been interested in him.

Somebody asked about the health concerns and the only thing currently is he may have a sports hernia. Shouldn't be too big of a deal, but Chris Perry got a double sports hernia after surgery on the 1st hernia (I think I am remembering correctly) and that's why he missed his rookie year. He had some stuff in his past including a season ending knee injury a few years back.

Had a feeling that of any of the top guys, he was the one most likely to slide due not having the measurables that some other teams were looking for. Also probably not a great fit in all schemes, but really fits what we do very well. Should be a key guy on D for a long time.

Leon, Newman, Jones, Kirkpatrick and Dennard.  May be good enough for one more year.  Can't count on Newman and Jones next year though.  Another mid-round corner wouldn't both me at all and if Aaron Colvin drops due to his knee, I wouldn't mind nabbing him as a "redshirt."

I'm not ready to give up on Kirkpatrick, but with his length, I might consider a move to FS if he can't overcome his penchant for biting so frequently on double moves.  With his ranginess, FS might help him keep the play in front of him.

Leon, Newman, Jones, Kirkpatrick and Dennard.  May be good enough for one more year.  Can't count on Newman and Jones next year though.  Another mid-round corner wouldn't both me at all and if Aaron Colvin drops due to his knee, I wouldn't mind nabbing him as a "redshirt."

I'm not ready to give up on Kirkpatrick, but with his length, I might consider a move to FS if he can't overcome his penchant for biting so frequently on double moves.  With his ranginess, FS might help him keep the play in front of him.

Why can't you count on Jones?

@pauldehnerjr: Mark Dantonio on Dennard: "He will be an All-Pro in the NFL. Write it down." #Bengals

@ColeyHarvey: Here's something telling from #Bengals co-DBs coach Vance Joseph, when asked how taking Dennard impacts Dre K: "I believe in Dre." #CINpick

@DreKirkSWAG: @DDennard_31 congrats homie ready to work with you. #WhoDey

@MarvinJonesJr: @DDennard_31 congrats brodie!! Welcome to the Jungle!!!

Archived