Former Bengal Spikes likes team's edge

Spikes DID NOT BOLT. He signed an OFFER SHEET and Marvin chose NOT to match because he knew Takeo was annoyed and unhappy with Mike Brown and how the franchise had been run since he had been there (every single fan of the Bengals felt the same damn way). Marvin stated he only wanted happy players that wanted to be there.

Takeo Spikes has NEVER bashed this franchise or anyone with it. He did his job each and every day, kept his mouth shut off the field, kept himself out of trouble and handled the business side as it was supposed to be handled. I have complete respect for the guy and he was one of my favorite Bengals ever. He had no ties to Cincy prior to being drafted here. I would have left if given the opportunity because prior to Marvin this franchise had no hope.

Spikes DID NOT BOLT. He signed an OFFER SHEET and Marvin chose NOT to match because he knew Takeo was annoyed and unhappy with Mike Brown and how the franchise had been run since he had been there (every single fan of the Bengals felt the same damn way). Marvin stated he only wanted happy players that wanted to be there.

Takeo Spikes has NEVER bashed this franchise or anyone with it. He did his job each and every day, kept his mouth shut off the field, kept himself out of trouble and handled the business side as it was supposed to be handled. I have complete respect for the guy and he was one of my favorite Bengals ever. He had no ties to Cincy prior to being drafted here. I would have left if given the opportunity because prior to Marvin this franchise had no hope.

every bit of this. 

Much as I like Taze, get back to me in 10 years on that one.

Fair enough, I love talking about Spikes and Simmons though.  Two of the best players of my life.  I kinda like that era.  Cool, frustrated players.  

You are correct up until his contract was over.  Maybe I'm wrong about this but I remember reading that once he signed that offer sheet, he BEGGED the Bengals not to match. Why would Marvin who was trying to change the culture at the time keep a disgruntled player?  Also, he stated when the Bengals didn't match, how happy he was....like a slave getting his papers.  Sounds like some bashing on the franchise.  Takeo was my favorite player when he played here but once he stated that,  my respect went out the door.   I'm glad he never saw the playoffs. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You are correct up until his contract was over.  Maybe I'm wrong about this but I remember reading that once he signed that offer sheet, he BEGGED the Bengals not to match. Why would Marvin who was trying to change the culture at the time keep a disgruntled player?  Also, he stated when the Bengals didn't match, how happy he was....like a slave getting his papers.  Sounds like some bashing on the franchise.  Takeo was my favorite player when he played here but once he stated that,  my respect went out the door.   I'm glad he never saw the playoffs. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

This.

Marvin and Takeo actually have a relationship. Marvin asked him if he wanted to play for Cincy. Takeo said he didn't want to deal with another "rebuild" and another "potential star QB" and I don't blame him. Marvin told Takeo he wouldn't match him.

Honestly, it was the best of both worlds because with the money they saved from not paying Takeo they were able to bring guys in like Thornton, Tory James, Kevin Hardy and such. None of them were stars, but they were serviceable guys that helped change the loser mentality of the franchise and locker room and helped Marvin grow this team into a playoff contender year in and year out. I'm not sure they would have been able to change so quickly if not for bringing in a lot of positive veterans that Spikes money freed up.

Marvin and Takeo actually have a relationship. Marvin asked him if he wanted to play for Cincy. Takeo said he didn't want to deal with another "rebuild" and another "potential star QB" and I don't blame him. Marvin told Takeo he wouldn't match him.

Honestly, it was the best of both worlds because with the money they saved from not paying Takeo they were able to bring guys in like Thornton, Tory James, Kevin Hardy and such. None of them were stars, but they were serviceable guys that helped change the loser mentality of the franchise and locker room and helped Marvin grow this team into a playoff contender year in and year out. I'm not sure they would have been able to change so quickly if not for bringing in a lot of positive veterans that Spikes money freed up.

Excellent post. That's how I remember it and I agree.

Archived