Late Beautiful Good Bad and Ugly

People underestimate the titans too. Go look at their OL. They have a very very good OL, especially in the running game. Give them a good QB and they are a strong team. They have some talented RBs and a couple good WRs and a great TE in Walker. They have a really crappy QB that no one respects. We got pressure on their QB mostly because we blitzed, but when they handed off to the RB there were big holes created by some dominant OL.

It's not an excuse but without Burfict and Brandon Thompson the run D will not be nearly as good. Vinny Rey is solid but he isn't Burfict. And Thompson is very underrated for how good he is against the run. In running situations we are playing Geno, Still and some of our DEs at DT in place of Thompson who is built for clogging the middle.

Good points. I forgot about Thompson.

And to be clear, I wasn't trying to rag on the defense. I just thought the talk that we should've shut out the Titans or whatever was inaccurate given how bad they gashed us at times.

Yeah but even before that, the Titans were moving the ball pretty well on offense. Despite the lopsided score, they ended up with 22 first downs and 326 total yards, compared to 25 and 300 for the Bengals, respectively.

The defense did force turnovers - which shouldn't be overlooked - but without Burfict they weren't the suffocating defense we've all grown accustomed to seeing.

People underestimate the titans too. Go look at their OL. They have a very very good OL, especially in the running game. Give them a good QB and they are a strong team. They have some talented RBs and a couple good WRs and a great TE in Walker. They have a really crappy QB that no one respects. We got pressure on their QB mostly because we blitzed, but when they handed off to the RB there were big holes created by some dominant OL.

It's not an excuse but without Burfict and Brandon Thompson the run D will not be nearly as good. Vinny Rey is solid but he isn't Burfict. And Thompson is very underrated for how good he is against the run. In running situations we are playing Geno, Still and some of our DEs at DT in place of Thompson who is built for clogging the middle.

Good points. I forgot about Thompson.

And to be clear, I wasn't trying to rag on the defense. I just thought the talk that we should've shut out the Titans or whatever was inaccurate given how bad they gashed us at times.

I also wasn't ragging on the defense, and I obviously know when garbage time happens and what it entails with regards to whom is playing. But City is right...they were gashing the shit out of the starting defense early in the 3rd quarter before the scrubs came in. Yeah, they didn't allow a score, and yeah, it's probably hard to keep guys motivated on defense when you own a three or more score lead, but the tackling got pretty sloppy and I hate to see that. I really REALLY wanted the D to pitch that shutout, and they were so close to doing it. 

Bad: we should have never let those fuckers score a single goddamn point. The defense got soft on a couple drives and allowed it. Against a team like the shitty Titans that shouldn't happen. Against a good team it may cost us a game.

Part of the softness was we were playing nearly all second and third teamers

What about those missed field goals by Succup?

That FG repulsor beam we tested last week worked great.

Just re-watched the first half on game rewind in slow mo, trying to concentrate on the trenches. A few thoughts:

-Boling had some really nice run blocks. The first Gio TD to make it 19-0 he just destroyed his guy and pushed him 2 yards into the end zone. He did have 1 holding penalty, but thought he played well and is getting stronger at the point of attack. Looks fully back from his injury and maybe even better than ever.

-Geno Atkins did get double teamed some, but he doesn't look like the same guy as pre-injury yet. Only played about half the snaps and looked slower and less explosive than he did. Not quite the same motor either. He did look like vintage Geno on the last 2 plays of the half though. He pushed the LG back a good 5 yards straight into Locker on both plays. The 2nd one, he flushed Locker from the pocket and almost got the sack but Locker scrambled and threw the bad INT.

Hopefully Geno can play himself into shape and get back to being the dominant force he was. It's crazy how good our D has been with Geno not himself and Vontaze playing less than half the snaps so far.

-Devon Still played the other half of the snaps (it looked like him and Geno were never out there together but we always had one of the 2 out there) and he was okay. Made a couple nice plays where he got penetration. Played really hard. But he gets too high and there were some plays where he got pushed back and their OGs got a lot of movement to open up holes for big run gains.

-The INT by Geathers was a Guenther special. He had both Geathers and Dunlap dropped into coverage 20 yards down field with Nelson and the LBers blitzing. When he puts 6 or 7 guys at the line, it is really tough for the O because they never know who is going to come and who isn't. 

-I love the way Hue is managing the screen game. Seems like there are always multiple options (or decoy screen targets) where we are basically setting up the screen on both sides so the D doesn't know what to do. Just so much mis-direction in the offense now. Combine the great play calling with all of our talent and this offense can be scary good.

Beautiful. Brad johansen calling the game was awesome. I can't believe he was replaced by hoard.

it wasn't because the Bengals didn't like Johansen, but rather they were moving to have their radio guys do more content on the website and such, and Brad just couldn't commit the time and still stay with Channel 12.

I thought both tv guys did well yesterday.

Archived