My Mock first go 4-9-2015

1. Andrus Peat T Stanford

2. Grady Jarrett DT Clemson

3. Tyler Lockett WR Kansas St

3. Kwon Alexander LB LSU

4. Jeff Heuerman TE OSU

6. Karlos Williams RB FSU

I still ahve to fit in the rest. I would want a Coverage Safety and a Guard with big league starter experience who falls. There is always one and he always ends up a long term starter in the league. Not sure who those guys are yet. 

My list is heavily influenced by many of you here. 

Josue Matias - A native of the Dominican Republic, Matias developed into a top football recruit out of New Jersey and made an instant impact in Tallahassee. He played sparingly as a true freshman but became a full-time starter as a sophomore and started every game the rest of his career -- 41 consecutive starts.

Matias' primary experience lies at left guard. He also has some experience at offensive tackle and the size and athleticism to warrant development there, should his NFL team need help on the perimeter.

41 consecutive starts at a big time program like FSU.  I think that would qualify for your "criteria" in a Guard.

You want a Safety with coverage skills?  Adrian Amos - A player with considerable experience at both cornerback and safety, Amos earned reps as a true freshman in 2011 and started 38 games at Penn State. He made the move to full-time safety in 2013, but his versatility is still noted by NFL scouts. The switch bolsters his resume for the next level.

Among of the best defensive backs in the Big Ten, he was named All-Big Ten honorable-mention in each the last three seasons. His final year at Penn State he finished with 42 tackles (30 solos) and also intercepted three passes. He was credited with 17 passes defended.

Can we just swap Lockett and Jarrett? Any other DTs I should consider in round 2?

If you want my opinion for a Rd. 2 DT.  Carl Davis.  He may not make it to our pick in the

2nd but if he does, SNATCH him up!!  He'd be an awesome addition to our rotation because

sometimes he lacks motor/motivation, (although I'm sure that can be coached out of him).

He's a potential beast though!  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1759544/carl-davis

Michael, check out this site.  It's just the folks at CBS Sports opinion but they have rankings

for each position.  It starts with QB's but you can select other positions and what round they

are "projected" to go in.  In my opinion, it's better than Mike Mayock's projections!  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/QB

• 2 weeks later...

Can we just swap Lockett and Jarrett? Any other DTs I should consider in round 2?

I wouldn't, personally. Given the risk involved with passing on one to get the other, if it were down to those two guys, I'd take Jerret all day long.  I'd pray that he fell to us in 3, but I'd be thrilled if we snagged him in two.  Truth is he's an undersized 4-3 3 tech, so there's not as much need and he MIGHT fall to us, but IMO he's just too explosive and disruptive to let fall too far.  He's not Geno Atkins or Aaron Donald, but he's not terribly far away either.  He'll be a better pro than college player, and many people attribute the success of both Beasley and stephone anthony to him.

I didn't do a mock, I don't think.

As for the pass rush, I'd like to see us go for the hybrid type that we never do go for, and believe Duke Tobin when he says this is a good year to do it.  It's a pretty rich spot in this draft. I also don't think we have to see that choice as necessarily a speed guy for the edge (mostly because I still think Owa Odiggy is really disruptive and intriguing).  Still, I hope we take on several later round projects, maybe even a little before they "should" go, who DO offer some real future possibility for the kind of leo guy we're looking for.  I'd take Shaquille Riddick (though ironically he'd be a bit more of a legit 4-3 end project), the guy from Duke, the kid from Georgetown, Mark Rush, lol, all of them.  Someone has to pan out and several of them could be real lbs with some time too. 

We have a ton of needs in this year's draft if you're future looking, but those will all be filled by the 4th round imo, so I'd use those 5-7 round picks to swing for the FA fences.

I didn't do a mock, I don't think.

As for the pass rush, I'd like to see us go for the hybrid type that we never do go for, and believe Duke Tobin when he says this is a good year to do it.  It's a pretty rich spot in this draft. I also don't think we have to see that choice as necessarily a speed guy for the edge (mostly because I still think Owa Odiggy is really disruptive and intriguing).  Still, I hope we take on several later round projects, maybe even a little before they "should" go, who DO offer some real future possibility for the kind of leo guy we're looking for.  I'd take Shaquille Riddick (though ironically he'd be a bit more of a legit 4-3 end project), the guy from Duke, the kid from Georgetown, Mark Rush, lol, all of them.  Someone has to pan out and several of them could be real lbs with some time too. 

We have a ton of needs in this year's draft if you're future looking, but those will all be filled by the 4th round imo, so I'd use those 5-7 round picks to swing for the FA fences.

my bad. this was weston's mock, and i meant to direct the question at him, not you.

care to weigh in MW?

hey alley, share your thoughts on our pass rush and how it affected your decisions. i didn't see it addressed in your mock, aside from the addition of jarrett. would you be satisfied with just that?

My answer would be I think I have to be. I would rather have them sign someone who could compete at the DE position and be a passrusher but I think that we have our 5 guys there (Gillberry-Johnson-Dunlap-Hunt and Clarke) and the DT is the spot where they will look to upgrade there. 

So not really satisfied but feel a bit stuck in fixing it, unless you cut Gilberry or Clarke which I think both would be a surprise. 

FWIW Daniel Jeremiah claimed he's heard teams are talking about Grady Jarrett going as early as mid-1st round. 

DAMN! This happens to me every year haha. 

Well, that would make a lot more sense, because frankly it reflects what I saw in all of the footage I saw of him.  I just don't know how you can watch all of the DTs in this year's draft and not come away thinking that Grady Jarrett is the best by a good margin (and by best I'm referring to what we do).

Well, that would make a lot more sense, because frankly it reflects what I saw in all of the footage I saw of him.  I just don't know how you can watch all of the DTs in this year's draft and not come away thinking that Grady Jarrett is the best by a good margin (and by best I'm referring to what we do).

This is all a thought in progress but hes not really a 1 technique either. He would be more of what we already have with Atkins. Now I am not saying we shouldnt take him but we are arguing two sides of a coin. If you want to replace Peko...thats more like Shelton. If you want to replace Atkins OR have a guy to tandem with Atkins on passing downs thats more like Jarret. 

This is all a thought in progress but hes not really a 1 technique either. He would be more of what we already have with Atkins. Now I am not saying we shouldnt take him but we are arguing two sides of a coin. If you want to replace Peko...thats more like Shelton. If you want to replace Atkins OR have a guy to tandem with Atkins on passing downs thats more like Jarret. 

I disagree almost entirely. Don't make the mistake of looking at a guy's size and thinking that that's where he's fated to play.  Geno at his best was an absolute terror against the run.  You could say the same thing about Aaron Donald, already.  Sure, they are both elite pass rushers too, but it's not like we're running a 3-4.  Peko, or the person that plays the "NT" in our 4-3 doesn't have the responsibilities of a NT in a 3-4 (take up space and absorb blockers).  They are expected to make tackles.  

And then there's the other MAJOR factor, which happens to be a MAJOR issue on this team, which is that the league is turning more and more toward the pass. On passing downs why not have two top notch interior rushers if you can?  We've already seen the enormous impact having one can have on the entire pass rush.  Add to that fact that that guy didn't look like his old self last year, and it might be prudent to take another guy that offers you an insurance policy, or can cover for him when he goes down (because when he does we see zero pressure).

And if you're keeping score, the DT on this team who is currently most at risk of losing his job is Devon Still, not Domata Peko or Brandon Thompson.  Still is considered Geno's backup (3 tech) while Thompson is considered Peko's (1 tech). Now, obviously we rotate and interchange, but what's wrong with adding another guy to the mix who can provide the meaningful pocket pressure we so desperately need.

And, just for a moment of bliss, let's watch his combine workout and watch some uncanny movement skills and ability to stay low for a 300+ lb man:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000479605/2015-Combine-workout-Grady-Jarrett

FWIW Daniel Jeremiah claimed he's heard teams are talking about Grady Jarrett going as early as mid-1st round.

Marcus Hardison is another name to keep an eye on, I've been hearing that he's getting a late first round grade on a lot of teams boards....for what it's worth.

I almost swallowed my gum when he said it.

Jeremiah was talking him up...so much so that I'm sitting there expecting to hear the words "fringe first rounder"...and instead he drops the words mid first rounder. 

Said he's heard it from multiple teams too.

I just don't know how you can watch all of the DTs in this year's draft and not come away thinking that Grady Jarrett is the best by a good margin (and by best I'm referring to what we do).

That's why I almost swallowed my imaginary gum. 

The fit is perfect.

Wasn't hard to make the leap that Cincy may be one of the unnamed teams Jeremiah was alluding to.  

I disagree almost entirely. Don't make the mistake of looking at a guy's size and thinking that that's where he's fated to play.  Geno at his best was an absolute terror against the run.  You could say the same thing about Aaron Donald, already.  Sure, they are both elite pass rushers too, but it's not like we're running a 3-4.  Peko, or the person that plays the "NT" in our 4-3 doesn't have the responsibilities of a NT in a 3-4 (take up space and absorb blockers).  They are expected to make tackles.  

And then there's the other MAJOR factor, which happens to be a MAJOR issue on this team, which is that the league is turning more and more toward the pass. On passing downs why not have two top notch interior rushers if you can?  We've already seen the enormous impact having one can have on the entire pass rush.  Add to that fact that that guy didn't look like his old self last year, and it might be prudent to take another guy that offers you an insurance policy, or can cover for him when he goes down (because when he does we see zero pressure).

And if you're keeping score, the DT on this team who is currently most at risk of losing his job is Devon Still, not Domata Peko or Brandon Thompson.  Still is considered Geno's backup (3 tech) while Thompson is considered Peko's (1 tech). Now, obviously we rotate and interchange, but what's wrong with adding another guy to the mix who can provide the meaningful pocket pressure we so desperately need.

And, just for a moment of bliss, let's watch his combine workout and watch some uncanny movement skills and ability to stay low for a 300+ lb man:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000479605/2015-Combine-workout-Grady-Jarrett

I am not going to deny that you likely know more about  this then me but that doesn't make much sense in my opinion...I could just be missing something. We clearly play Peko and Thompson and have a position carved out for them as more of the nose tackle or 1 technique correct? I think you are incorrect about Peko and Thompson eating space. Yes they are supposed to get tackles but not as much as the RT. The LT is much closer to the NT then the LE. They are there to eat the Guard and NT so that everyone else can make plays and occasionally make plays. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

I agree with what you are saying in your other paragraphs for the most part, especially your comment on it being a passing league. But the reality is our weakest starter on the DL is Peko. We would really be replacing Peko for the long term even if we don't do it this year. 

Again, I just don't think the distinctions are as clear as you're making them. Put another way, I watched Grady Jarrett turn into a fire hydrant and become and immovable object in the middle of the field to blow up the running play too many times to think that he couldn't hold serve in that role as needed.  

Marcus Hardison is another name to keep an eye on, I've been hearing that he's getting a late first round grade on a lot of teams boards....for what it's worth.

Hardison is kind of interesting. I watched him at least a month ago and remember thinking that he might be best suited to lose 20 lbs and play DE. Agile, fast-twitch, good first step, but just didn't seem to have the power.

So now that Hair pointed it out I'm finding mention of Grady Jarrett in the first round all over the place:

Prisco (who basically recalls my experience verbatim) names him the Captain of his All-Better-Than Team:

A few weeks ago, I wanted to take a deep dive into Clemson pass rusher Vic Beasley. So I watched three of his All-22 tapes.

What did I see?

A ton of plays being made by Grady Jarrett.

Who? Jarrett is a smallish defensive tackle who showed up in a lot of ways in the games I watched of the Tigers. I know Beasley gets a lot of hype, and might be a top-10 pick, but Jarrett was the better player in some of the games I watched.

He was better against Georgia. He was better against North Carolina. And he was better against Louisville.

Jarrett, the son of former NFL linebacker Jessie Tuggle, is barely over 6-feet tall and weighs 304 pounds. But he plays much bigger. A former wrestler, he has the low center of gravity and strength the helps him compensate for a lack of size, which is why he's this year's captain of my Better-Than Team, which is comprised of players I think are better than the scouts think.

Some past captains of my team have been 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward (2014) Eagles nose tackle Bennie Logan (2013), Bucs linebacker Lavonte David (2012), quarterback Christian Ponder (2011) -- big miss -- and Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (2010).

I really think Jarrett is the next player to captain this team and go on to have NFL success. He is quick off the ball, which helps him compensate for his lack of size. In the games I watched, the offensive linemen had a tough time handling him -- even when he was doubled. His penetration was a big problem for college offensive linemen.

img25151716.jpgGrady Jarrett is a handful for offensive linemen. (USATSI)

For an NFL comparison, think Geno Atkins, the pre-injury Atkins. Like Atkins, Jarrett would have to be in the right scheme to use his skills. He isn't a two-gap nose. But he can be a great 3-technique tackle in a 4-3 scheme.

In the Georgia game, Jarrett made impressive stops in the run game on consecutive plays in the third quarter. On the first play, he was doubled, split the double, beat another guard coming down, and then tackled Todd Gurley for a 3-yard gain. He used great technique to split the double, showing off his power in doing so.

The next play was similar. He was doubled at the point of attack, and actually was pushed off the line. But he was able to split the double and re-gain his ground and stop Keith Marshall for no gain.

There are a lot of defensive tackles getting first-round mentions, but Jarrett isn't one of them. I am not sure that is right. He doesn't have the size, but this is a kid who has the tools to be an 8-10 sack player in the right scheme on the next level as well as a good player against the run.

Grady Jarrett just might be worth a first-round pick. Learn his name. He's damn good.

And then:

Clemson DT Grady Jarrett "is a potential second-day steal," according to NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

We couldn't agree more. Jarrett compares his own game to undrafted Hall of Famer John Randle (6-foot-1, 287) and likes to remind folks that Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald (6-foot-1, 285) won the 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. The 6-foot-1, 304-pound Jarrett is extremely disruptive, despite his smaller-than-ideal frame. We grade him as a top-30 prospect.

Archived