Reggie Nelson

Shawn Williams is ready to start and needs the opportunity. This is such a weird scenario with Nelson having a great year and there truly being minimal interest around the NFL in him even though he hasn't shown signs of being old yet.

Ready to start where? Over Iloka?

Hmm.   Have you guys seen Williams play?  He is a strong safety type linebacker.    He might have filled in for Reggie Nelson for a a few quarters but no way in hell is he the same type of player.   Nelson I st he prototype free safety.  Shaun Williams is a strong safety in the box safety.   There was Even talk of him moving to linebacker a few years back.    If Nelson isn't back its will be  a big blow to our secondary.    At least Big Ben will be thrilled if Nelson isn't back. 

Hmm.   Have you guys seen Williams play?  He is a strong safety type linebacker.    He might have filled in for Reggie Nelson for a a few quarters but no way in hell is he the same type of player.   Nelson I st he prototype free safety.  Shaun Williams is a strong safety in the box safety.   There was Even talk of him moving to linebacker a few years back.    If Nelson isn't back its will be  a big blow to our secondary.    At least Big Ben will be thrilled if Nelson isn't back. 

That was my point. That only you seemed to catch so far.

I mentioned in another thread about the damage that Jen did after Nelson went out of the playoff game. 

We will pay Peko almost $4 million to fall backwards and Michael Johnson over a $1 million per sack?

But can't find a way to pay Reggie?

Why offer above the market price? It is the only offer he has received so far. Minnesota chose to go with a really shitty safety in Michael Griffin for 3 mill a year over Reggie Nelson.

Funny thing is when Big Ben throws at Shawn Williams he severely struggles too. Ben's most success against our safeties is when he throws against Iloka. Although it isn't like 100 attempts or anything Shawn Williams has also had his kyrptonite like Reggie. Williams will be more than fine. He is a big time talent. One of the last concerns this team will have is safety.

Funny thing is when Big Ben throws at Shawn Williams he severely struggles too. Ben's most success against our safeties is when he throws against Iloka. Although it isn't like 100 attempts or anything Shawn Williams has also had his kyrptonite like Reggie. Williams will be more than fine. He is a big time talent. One of the last concerns this team will have is safety.

Williams is a good player, we're not questioning that. Just wondering who will play FS. I like Derron Smith, but he's probably not ready to start.

Williams is a good player, we're not questioning that. Just wondering who will play FS. I like Derron Smith, but he's probably not ready to start.

Iloka moves to free and Williams is your strong.  And for all of you that will want to suggest that Iloka isn't a free, remember he played corner in Boise.

Iloka moves to free and Williams is your strong.  And for all of you that will want to suggest that Iloka isn't a free, remember he played corner in Boise.

yep.

and interchangeable for Marvin.

stop being pussies, it was bound to happen.

They both can play FS, it really isn't that difficult for either. Later in the year when Iloka was healthy he was playing deeper more often (partially cuz they liked to blitz Nelson a lot) but also because Iloka is just damn good at it all.

He got thrust into it unexpected but in his limited playoff game snaps he looked pretty good at safety. I'm hoping they work him in this year like Shawn did last year. I think he has a bright future too.

Archived