Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
fredtoast

Andy Dalton after 7 seasons.

Recommended Posts

We all know he has played poorly in 4 playoff games, but so have the rest of the Bengals.  I just don't see Dalton as the problem with this team.

 

There are 35 active NFL QBs who have at least 1000 pass attempts since '11.  Among those 35 Dalton ranks.

 

1st in td receptions (tied with 3 others)

2nd in rushing tds

3rd in "Fourth Quarter Comebacks" (per Profootballreference.com)

4th in rush attempts

4th in "4th Quarter Game Winning Drives" (per Profootballreference.com)

6th in wins (regular season)

6th in lowest fumble rate (fumble per pass attempt)

9th in passing yards

10th in passing tds

14th in passer rating

 

Does he rank among the elite?  No.

Is he top half of the league? No doubt.

Is he top 10?  Questionable.  His passing numbers alone suggest he is just slightly outside of the top ten, but when you also consider "rushing tds", "fumble rate", "Game Winning Drives", and "Fourth Quarter Comebacks" you could easily argue that he is a top ten overall QB.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also need to consider this when judging Andy's career.

 

Since 2011 the Bengals rank 16th in rushing yards and 27th in yards per carry.  So dalton has not had a good running game to play off of.  Carson Wentz looked great this year, but a lot of that was due to him playing for a team that had the #3 rushing attack in the league.  Tyrod Taylor has a higher career passer rating than dalton, but in his 3 years as a starter the Bills have the #1 rushing attack in the league.

 

Dalton has not had a lot of talent at WR other than Green.  In Andy's 7 years as a starter only 2 WRs other than Green ever had as much as 800 receiving yards (LaFell in '16 and Marvin Jones in '15), and only 3 others had as much as 700 (Jerome Simpson in '11, Jones in '13, Sanu in '14)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

4 postseason appearances

 

1 TD

 

6 Interceptions

 

3 Fumbles

 

 

That about sums it up.  Hard to believe that he won't shit the bed again if they do somehow get back to the playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

4 postseason appearances

 

1 TD

 

6 Interceptions

 

3 Fumbles

 

 

A.J. Green in those same games

 

0 td

 

4 catches and 50 yards per game

 

Does this mean A. J. Green sucks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That about sums it up.  Hard to believe that he won't shit the bed again if they do somehow get back to the playoffs.  

 

I hope he gets another shot at it, but yeah.  Below a career 2-1 Td/INT ratio in the regular season..  Tends to fleeb out under pressure..  Not seeing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That about sums it up.  Hard to believe that he won't shit the bed again if they do somehow get back to the playoffs.  

Who knows. Sounds like they are going to try a new mental strategy with him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That about sums it up.  Hard to believe that he won't shit the bed again if they do somehow get back to the playoffs.  

Joe Flacco's first 5 playoff games

 

47.5 completion percentage

132 passing yards per game

1 td

6 int

 

 

Joe Flacco's last 10 playoff games

 

59.9 completion percentage

256 yards per game

24 td

4 int

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Who knows. Sounds like they are going to try a new mental strategy with him though.

 

 

5NtmIMZ.gif

 

 

Details?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

5NtmIMZ.gif

 

 

Details?

 

 

Idk about details.:lol:I Just some tidbits about making him feel uncomfortable or something like that. To me it sounded like a mental strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As is the case with most middle of the road NFL QB starters, give them some pass protection, a competent run game and at least two receivers who can beat their coverage regularly and they will do fine. 
But this is The "let em walk" Bengals. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, schotzee said:

 

Andy is very athletic and has the ability to scramble out of trouble, but he seems to have a hard time looking downfield while he is scrambling.  That is what makes guys like Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson so effective.  It is not just the athletic ability to scramble away from defenders.  it is also the ability to keep looking downfield and finding open receivers while scrambling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Joe Flacco's first 5 playoff games

 

47.5 completion percentage

132 passing yards per game

1 td

6 int

 

 

Joe Flacco's last 10 playoff games

 

59.9 completion percentage

256 yards per game

24 td

4 int

 

You forgot to mention that Flacco was also 3-2 in his first five playoff games.  

 

But the real real question is whether or not Flacco is an elite QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

 

Andy is very athletic and has the ability to scramble out of trouble, but he seems to have a hard time looking downfield while he is scrambling.  That is what makes guys like Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson so effective.  It is not just the athletic ability to scramble away from defenders.  it is also the ability to keep looking downfield and finding open receivers while scrambling.

Well hopefully this can be an implementation as part of the practices somehow as far as the theme of making him uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This place sounds like a Opus Dei meeting.  Some of you need Burlap robes, cilice's and a discipline to beat yourselves!:lol:

 “Blessed be pain. Loved be pain.  Sanctified be pain.  Glorified be pain!  Your worst enemy is yourself”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You forgot to mention that Flacco was also 3-2 in his first five playoff games. 

Great point.

 

More proof that Dalton's poor performances were not the reason we lost all 4 of those games.

 

Football is a team sport and the entire Bengal team looked bad in those playoff losses.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But the real real question is whether or not Flacco is an elite QB.

 

Actually that has nothing to do with this thread.  All I was doing was showing that just because a QB has played poorly in 4 or 5 games that does not mean he will always play like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BENGALS666 said:

As is the case with most middle of the road NFL QB starters, give them some pass protection, a competent run game and at least two receivers who can beat their coverage regularly and they will do fine. 
But this is The "let em walk" Bengals. 

This. 

 

Unless you see the next big thing, and it ain't AJ "Way Better Than Dalton" McCarron, you best not throw away a competent NFL QB.  Fix the offense around him. 

 

Edit:  Seriously?  You even forced Mc-Cooter to that garbage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Great point.

 

More proof that Dalton's poor performances were not the reason we lost all 4 of those games.

 

Football is a team sport and the entire Bengal team looked bad in those playoff losses.

It doesn't prove that at all.  Dalton has played poorly in every playoff game in his career and he has been a major reason they lost each of those games.  He might play better if he makes it back, but personally I doubt it.  The fact that Flacco won multiple playoff games with crappy numbers doesn't increase my faith in Dalton the next time around.  Both of them are thoroughly mediocre QB's with the main difference being Flacco's postseason success.  Dalton has none to speak of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You forgot to mention that Flacco was also 3-2 in his first five playoff games.  

 

But the real real question is whether or not Flacco is an elite QB.

Actually, that isn't a real question at all.  Joe Flacco was 30 seconds away from being an afterthought in 2012 but Denver let Jacoby Jones run free down the sideline for a 70 yard completion.  The Denver Broncos are the reason Joe Flacco is still the Baltimore QB.  Flacco caught lightning in a bottle for one playoff season and had a great defense.  Since then he has been a very average at best QB.

 

He was elite for 4 games, since then he has been mid teens at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Actually, that isn't a real question at all.  Joe Flacco was 30 seconds away from being an afterthought in 2012 but Denver let Jacoby Jones run free down the sideline for a 70 yard completion.  The Denver Broncos are the reason Joe Flacco is still the Baltimore QB.  Flacco caught lightning in a bottle and had a great defense.  Since then he has been a very average at best QB.

 

He was elite for 4 games, since then he has been mid teens at best. 

That was just a joke since Flacco was brought up by Fred.  I wouldn't call him elite by any measure.  Comparing him to Dalton is foolish because a) he isn't that good to begin with and b) the odds of catching lightning in a bottle like that are minuscule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...