The What To Do With Boy Wonder Thread

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Expecting a rookie draft pick to fix all that was foolish.   I'm also not giving them a pass when guys who get injured every season are once again injured for the season.  

They just tied the worst season in Bengals history.  Last time this happened the HC got fired.  Somehow this HC is entirely blameless?  I don't get it.

Damn man, you aren’t daft, who on earth said he was “blameless”?! It’s a myriad of shit that sent this team down the shitter, a few items you just referenced being very important in that regard, and also not really being much he could wrap his arms around and take care of.

ZT has loads of improving to do. Shitcanning him is a terrible idea. That’s all, I think, most of us are saying.

Just now, spicoli said:

where were they going to get another #1 WR?

9th overall pick seems like a good place to find one  :ninja:

I know that wasn't ZT but what I don't know is how the team goes 2-14, looks completely unprepared for most of the season, forgets how to tackle, leaves Mixon on the bench & otherwise has absolutely clueless offensive playcalling from a guy that was supposed to be this offensive guru, and yet he's somehow entirely blameless because.. IDK, he's nice to the local media?

everything you bring up is valid but it also all happened in the first half of the season. After that it seemed like things started to settle down and click a little better for them.

I mean the guy was handed a pretty shitty roster and then had to adjust on the fly to not having a LT or his top playmaker. I'm just not sure how that equates to being better. 

49 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Damn man, you aren’t daft, who on earth said he was “blameless”?! It’s a myriad of shit that sent this team down the shitter, a few items you just referenced being very important in that regard, and also not really being much he could wrap his arms around and take care of.

ZT has loads of improving to do. Shitcanning him is a terrible idea. That’s all, I think, most of us are saying.

This is what I don't get. If Taylor doubles his win total next year, he's almost up to Dave Shula 5-11 territory. Or we could just skip the pain and hire someone who is already a good head coach instead of hoping our currently bad head coach figures it out. Gregg Williams would be a massive improvement over ZT and most people would hope we aim higher than Williams.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Tobin should be the one catching all of the fans ire, IMO. Is he not in charge of the roster?

He, like all Bengals employees, is only responsible when things go well.  When things go poorly it's bad luck, injuries, etc.

11 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The biggest deflection has to be this "lost month" of staff addition and preparation. Poor fellow just got stuck with the dregs to choose from. 

If if that is the case, why is he not changing them out now? 

It’s a good question. Perhaps partially because the postseason hasn’t yet begun? It’d be nice if his intention is to bring in some coaches from playoff teams.

I'm not pro or anti Zac at this point. I certainly would give him a couple of more seasons. He was handed a team lacking talent across the board. I'd bet he has maybe 20% input with draft picks & free agents, with Duke and Mike sharing the rest. The team played far better the second half than the first, which to me is a plus for Zac.

13 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Fair point. I suppose a counter would be: if he has intentions of changing some out, why keep the plank-walkers around now? 

This is an even better point. I think the activity in free agency, combined with the coaching staff, will tell us what direction, if any, the club is taking.

18 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Well, of course I’d rather we were winning, but when a franchise gives a head coach the boot a fan’s expectation simply shouldn’t be instant success. Sure, you can dream, but odds are, your team is gonna need at least a year or two to get righted.

You know all that, right?

Do you think Taylor has shown to be a better coach than ML?

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Do you think Taylor has shown to be a better coach than ML?

Well, I think there are a couple ways to look at this, empirical evidence and considering where the game is going and upside.

In terms of raw numbers, no. Marvin Lewis enjoyed several years of good, sustained success. It never translated into prime time or post season success and there were ample indicators the game had potentially passed him by (maybe the jury is still out on that). Regardless, the last three seasons of his tenure showed the franchise mired in cyclical mediocrity. His stale planning, absentee-dad-player-first approach combined with some devastatingly poor drafts and seemingly stagnant player development spelled the end for him. Not to mention fans running for the exits. 

In terms of upside? I just don't know yet. There were things that made me scratch my head about Taylor and his prep and play calling. I think all of us agree with that. This team matched its worst W/L season in history, but not for lack of effort. I'm not saying moral victories matter in the end, I'm merely looking at what it might mean. This team lost 8 games by a score or less. They played hard and improved over the last half of the season. Historically, this isn't what NFL teams do as they cruise towards top five draft picks. Especially teams that are driven by veterans. 

Not being entirely sure where you were going with that question, I hope I sufficiently covered enough of my thought process for your follow up point.

Archived